2489 61 2020-2-11
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
InspektorGadjet
lvl.4
Flight distance : 439915 ft
Spain

Hello Comunity!
Today I shot my first Panoramic Photo using the Mavic Mini and I f....ng love it!
I went for a walk to the lake and the light was quite tricky, sunset, big area in shades, decided to do a test I've been planning in my head for weeks.

I basically took 12 pictures, each with two different exposures, one for highlights and one for shadows, resulting in a total of 24 photos.
I then Stacked the two images of each shot to get 12 perfectly exposed images increasing the dynamic range from 8 to 16bits.
Then I stich them in to a 16 bit Panorama.
Then edited in Lightroom to gain detail in shadows and reduce highlights, some noise reduction, contrast and abit of saturation.

AWESOME! maybe a bit too much detailed in shadows, starts to look too HDR ish, but otherwise the bottom right corner would be black... just testing the limits here really.
Most improtantly, the technique I had in mind works not only for Pano but also AEB kind of exposure.

I love my Mini, regardless of my posts reporting "issues" which I only do to improve this already awesome little beast of a drone...
Hope you guys like it!

PS: Here a link to the full res photo https://drive.google.com/open?id ... KmlPGImF-O4LDE1YurA

Inspektor Gadjet Pano + AEB

Inspektor Gadjet Pano + AEB
2020-2-11
Use props
djharrisx
lvl.4
Flight distance : 5718163 ft
United Kingdom

I'm sure you'll get more informed feedback from the photographic Pros, but to my layman's eyes both the resulting image and the editing work it evidently took to produce it are hugely impressive.

Top job!

Dave
2020-2-11
Use props
Studio66
lvl.3
Flight distance : 21670 ft
Belgium

q maravilloso
wonderfull pano! i turned out really nice.
2020-2-11
Use props
InspektorGadjet
lvl.4
Spain

djharrisx Posted at 2-11 12:25
I'm sure you'll get more informed feedback from the photographic Pros, but to my layman's eyes both the resulting image and the editing work it evidently took to produce it are hugely impressive.

Top job!

Hey Dave, Thanks a lot for the words!
Really glad you like it

The Mini has limitations but that triggers creativity, I tend to do this technique a lot with my old but trusty GoPro4 Black and a Nikon DSLR, it allows to "overcome" limitations and increase the quality result.

Again thanks for the kind words!
2020-2-11
Use props
InspektorGadjet
lvl.4
Spain

Studio66 Posted at 2-11 12:31
q maravilloso
wonderfull pano! i turned out really nice.

LMAO I love you spanish inputs! Fantástico!
Considering it was totally improvised, many birds nearby, and not a very special scenery... It turned out very nice and it delivers plenty of juice to work in post and make anything you want.
2020-2-11
Use props
BobWinNV
lvl.4
Flight distance : 284209 ft
  • >>>
United States

Excellent Pano.  Great job creating it.  Thanks for sharing your work.
2020-2-11
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Hi. Thank you for creating this informative and awesome post. I am happy to know that you are enjoying your DJI Mavic Mini . Thank you for your valued support and happy flying.
2020-2-11
Use props
InspektorGadjet
lvl.4
Spain

BobWinNV Posted at 2-11 12:42
Excellent Pano.  Great job creating it.  Thanks for sharing your work.

Thanks a lot BobWinNV glad you liked it
2020-2-11
Use props
InspektorGadjet
lvl.4
Spain

DJI Paladin Posted at 2-11 12:44
Hi. Thank you for creating this informative and awesome post. I am happy to know that you are enjoying your DJI Mavic Mini . Thank you for your valued support and happy flying.

You are very welcome, maybe an auto pano mode with AEB could be sent to the dedicated department lol
2020-2-11
Use props
djharrisx
lvl.4
Flight distance : 5718163 ft
United Kingdom

InspektorGadjet Posted at 2-11 12:36
Hey Dave, Thanks a lot for the words!
Really glad you like it

Hi IG,

Your post has got me thinking about how I could experiment with something similar. I have used Lightroom in the past but I fear it was several versions ago and was an academic licence anyway. In other words, I'm pretty sure I can't get it back without subscribing to Adobe's Creative Cloud etc.

Instead I use Acorn on the Mac for all my photo editing (and am very pleased with it). Whilst it doesn't  have the same capabilities as LR for creating HDR output from multiple images (almost at the click of a button?), I have just found there is a tutorial in the help section. This suggests there is a way of doing similar by creating multiple layers and tweaking the histogram of each one. Sounds like fun!

Stitching to create a panorama may be a different challenge though.

In other words, thanks for the inspiration and  (when time allows!)  I will have a play around and see what I can do.

Cheers,

Dave
2020-2-11
Use props
InspektorGadjet
lvl.4
Spain

djharrisx Posted at 2-11 12:52
Hi IG,

Your post has got me thinking about how I could experiment with something similar. I have used Lightroom in the past but I fear it was several versions ago and was an academic licence anyway. In other words, I'm pretty sure I can't get it back without subscribing to Adobe's Creative Cloud etc.

Hi Dave,
For stitching panoramas there are very powerful free options, Hugin, PTGui, Photoshop CS2...

Manual bracketing... some years ago I did it manually, swapping the correct sky exposure with the ground... and 18 years ago I did the same with real BW 35mm film... Ansel Adams got me extremely inspired...

Nowadays is super easy to get bracketed images to create a super high dynamic range picture, much easier than before... gotta love this technique!

Glad it got you inspired!
Have fun
All the best!
2020-2-11
Use props
Woe
Captain
Flight distance : 4129268 ft
  • >>>
United States

Fantastic pano.
2020-2-11
Use props
Roy Rogerstrade
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1186296 ft
United States

Nothing is overexposed anywhere . Good Job Inspector G
2020-2-11
Use props
InspektorGadjet
lvl.4
Spain

Woe Posted at 2-11 14:22
Fantastic pano.

Thanks a lot!
2020-2-11
Use props
InspektorGadjet
lvl.4
Spain

Roy Rogerstrade Posted at 2-11 14:41
Nothing is overexposed anywhere . Good Job Inspector G

Glad you like it Roy Rogerstrade
Promising results!
2020-2-11
Use props
Woe
Captain
Flight distance : 4129268 ft
  • >>>
United States

You're welcome
2020-2-11
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

InspektorGadjet Posted at 2-11 12:47
You are very welcome, maybe an auto pano mode with AEB could be sent to the dedicated department lol

You are more than welcome. Rest assured that this additional information will be cascaded to the designated DJI department as well. Thank you for your valued support.
2020-2-11
Use props
Mizzu
lvl.4
Flight distance : 431873 ft
Germany

Not nice Inspector.... Because now I also need to travel to Spain because of the landscape.... ;)
2020-2-11
Use props
InspektorGadjet
lvl.4
Spain

Mizzu Posted at 2-11 20:36
Not nice Inspector.... Because now I also need to travel to Spain because of the landscape.... ;)

lol glad you like the scenery buddy!
Definitely some cool areas where I live now, but Germany has some really cool places too... remember looking from the train and planes many times when I had gigs there, inspired by the massive tree areas... and the Schwarzwald

2020-2-12
Use props
Ice_2k
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1132575 ft
Romania

Very cool, man! So is this basically a 6x2?
2020-2-12
Use props
Dmitry Vishnevskiy
lvl.4
Flight distance : 588635 ft
Russia

Well done pano, you and mini are cool guys!
2020-2-12
Use props
InspektorGadjet
lvl.4
Spain

Ice_2k Posted at 2-12 00:27
Very cool, man! So is this basically a 6x2?

Glad you like it!
Yes 6x2 in total, each of the images with two exposures
2020-2-12
Use props
InspektorGadjet
lvl.4
Spain

Dmitry Vishnevskiy Posted at 2-12 00:31
Well done pano, you and mini are cool guys!

Thanks for the compliment!
Pano shots with a drone are a dream come truth!
2020-2-12
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Looks great,   maybe slightly too sharp but thats just a taste thing.
2020-2-12
Use props
Mortensldk
lvl.4
Flight distance : 132592 ft
Denmark

Great pano
2020-2-12
Use props
InspektorGadjet
lvl.4
Spain

DAFlys Posted at 2-12 01:39
Looks great,   maybe slightly too sharp but thats just a taste thing.

Yeah did some noise reduction and then resharpen, maybe too much.
Will keep tweaking next one!
2020-2-12
Use props
InspektorGadjet
lvl.4
Spain

Thanks Mortensldk!
2020-2-12
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

InspektorGadjet Posted at 2-12 02:12
Yeah did some noise reduction and then resharpen, maybe too much.
Will keep tweaking next one!

Still you getting great results for manually doing the pano like that.
2020-2-12
Use props
InspektorGadjet
lvl.4
Spain

DAFlys Posted at 2-12 02:14
Still you getting great results for manually doing the pano like that.

Thanks man, yeah the whole idea was to test if bracketing + pano, manually would deliver something reasonable... and it does, plenty of room to get awesome shots!
2020-2-12
Use props
Mizzu
lvl.4
Flight distance : 431873 ft
Germany

InspektorGadjet Posted at 2-12 00:23
lol glad you like the scenery buddy!
Definitely some cool areas where I live now, but Germany has some really cool places too... remember looking from the train and planes many times when I had gigs there, inspired by the massive tree areas... and the Schwarzwald

Ah so you're no "native spain"?
Or do you mean you moved your living place?
2020-2-12
Use props
RePrEsEnT
lvl.4
Flight distance : 11984951 ft
Slovenia

Hi!
As i said i'll ask you in your thread. Your picture is awesome! ;)

My main question is how did u start thaking photos? From the midlle first? As u saw, i just take 3 pictures in vertical panorama. I'll try to do some experiment today with more pictures and i'll post them in both threadhs. As i can see trough my window, clouds are moving very fast, so i think it's impossible to do some PANORAMA today. But i'll try

Cheers from sLOVEnia ;)
2020-2-12
Use props
InspektorGadjet
lvl.4
Spain

Mizzu Posted at 2-12 03:43
Ah so you're no "native spain"?
Or do you mean you moved your living place?

Yes I´m Spanish native, however I lived 3 years in the UK, then in 2010 I got signed with a German Record Label and I played my music mainly in Germany, Austria, Switzerland and France, for years... lots of airports, shuttle buses and trains... one can learn a lot from the views in a train.

I grow up near Portugal, then moved to Malaga, Granada, Barcelona and Ibiza, only 2 years ago I moved back to the mountains where I grew up, here the scenery is just brutally wild
No NFZ anywhere near me now lol
2020-2-12
Use props
InspektorGadjet
lvl.4
Spain

RePrEsEnT Posted at 2-12 05:09
Hi!
As i said i'll ask you in your thread. Your picture is awesome! ;)

Thanks glad you like it!

I plan on doing a video tutorial since the result came out so good... Yeah is good to have a calm weather otherwise things move and stitching is worse, also being far from near objects that get more deform due to perspective.

I basically started in the center, expose for sky and foreground by tapping with finger in the screen. Then moved the gimbal down 12º for second shot. Its important to have "on" the vertical and intersecting white lines.

Using the three lines as reference I moved left one "square", so I have one third of the image overlapping, take the shot then move gimbal up from -12º to 0º.  I repeated the process several times using the lines as references to co er all I wanted... I planned using less images but the result was great.

The key is to use the markers and the gimbal "degrees" as reference.
I hope it makes sense!
Cheers from Spain!
2020-2-12
Use props
RePrEsEnT
lvl.4
Flight distance : 11984951 ft
Slovenia

InspektorGadjet Posted at 2-12 07:34
Thanks glad you like it!

I plan on doing a video tutorial since the result came out so good... Yeah is good to have a calm weather otherwise things move and stitching is worse, also being far from near objects that get more deform due to perspective.

As u can see, HDR pictures only. And below horizontal PANO(3 phothos) and i didn't even go further with editing. At that point i get it why u take 24 images. I'll wait for better conditions and make some good pictures(today was windy and clouds mnoving very fast)

And yeah, i was near killing my friend with my snowboard

BTW, i'll do some tests when wind conditioins will alow me do that... till then: PEACE! ;)
2020-2-12
Use props
InspektorGadjet
lvl.4
Spain

Very awesome place ad nice shots!

Yeah I love Panos quite a lot because is like having more lenses, and more mega pixels... a full sphere would be like having a 360 camera, 180 degrees and you get an extreme fisheye.

I do full 360panoramas with my gopro 4 and adding AEB to the equation delivers massive pictures in size, dynamic range and megapixels, but you have to move quickly, some subjects are almost impossible due to movements, but landscape is quite "forgiving" using a pano software and enabling "antighost" helps reducing weird stitching artifacts.

Look forward to see some more when weather allows it!
Peace!
2020-2-12
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

Amazing job creating that stunning pano.  Thanks for sharing Amigo.  Have a great day.
2020-2-12
Use props
JM.REYES
lvl.4
Flight distance : 84423 ft
Spain

TIO, ME TIENES QUE ENSEÑAR HACER ESO!!
Fantástica foto, me encanta. Te felicito amigo mío.
De verdad enséñame hacerlo con el mini.
Eres la hostia Tron.
-----------------

Dude, you have to teach me to do that! Fantastic photo, I love it. I congratulate you my friend. Really teach me to do it with the mini. You are the Tron host.
2020-2-12
Use props
InspektorGadjet
lvl.4
Spain

DowntownRDB Posted at 2-12 11:35
Amazing job creating that stunning pano.  Thanks for sharing Amigo.  Have a great day.

Thanks a lot for the words amigo, glad you enjoyed it!
2020-2-13
Use props
InspektorGadjet
lvl.4
Spain

JM.REYES Posted at 2-12 11:38
TIO, ME TIENES QUE ENSEÑAR HACER ESO!!
Fantástica foto, me encanta. Te felicito amigo mío.
De verdad enséñame hacerlo con el mini.

Hey buddy!
I have to prepare a tutorial on this, is quite tedious to explain in words, but easy to see visually.
Very glad you found it inspiring!
///////
Hey colega!
Tengo que hacer un tutorial de esto, es bastante complicado de explicar en palabras, pero fácil de ver visualmente. Muy contento de que te innspire!
2020-2-13
Use props
djiuser_LFQGKI2S1YWI
New

Spain

InspektorGadjet Posted at 2-13 01:31
Hey buddy!
I have to prepare a tutorial on this, is quite tedious to explain in words, but easy to see visually.
Very glad you found it inspiring!
Te tomo la palabra, y espero ese tutorial, prometiendote que la primera panorámica que realice, será dedicada y exclusivamente para ti.
2020-2-13
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules