5944 28 2020-2-11
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Frank13011
lvl.4
  • >>>
Indonesia

Hi,

I am finding that my Mavic Mini is completely unusable in even slightly built up areas, no matter what I try I cant really go further than 20 meters away infront or up without disconnects and aircraft interference messages.

My DJI Spark never had this issue it worked much better, so pretty much unless im in an open field with nothing around for miles I am experiencing this issue. I have set to 2.4ghz WiFi and selected the least interference channel etc, doesn't make any difference. Also tried putting my phone in flight mode, that doesn't change performance either.

The signal bars literally go from full to RC disconnect at times its really crazy!

Does it sound like there is a fault with the drone or is this normal? I am considering a MP2 because it seems to be better at dealing with WiFi interference however would rather avoid spending around 1.5k if possible...

Thanks for any comments in advance!
2020-2-11
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

The aircraft is receiving interference from home WiFi systems in your area, and this is pretty normal for the Mini and other DJI aircraft that use simple radio transmission systems.
2020-2-11
Use props
Mizzu
lvl.4
Flight distance : 431873 ft
Germany

I really really hope that I don't realize some day when I'm on vacation, that the Mini is not that what I expected. I just flew around in open wide empty nature areas so far and I live in an area wheres not much interference at all.
2020-2-11
Use props
dark13star
lvl.2
Flight distance : 16739 ft
United States

I can't say if it is normal, but I live in central Denver and have flown several times from my yard and over my neighborhood. Sitting here in my house, I  see 19 available wifi networks and we have cell towers in the neighborhood too. I've been surprised how good it is against all this interference. Nothing but stable flights so far. Are you putting your phone in airplane mode after loading the maps? I always do. Good luck figuring it out.
2020-2-11
Use props
Frank13011
lvl.4
  • >>>
Indonesia

Mizzu Posted at 2-11 20:33
I really really hope that I don't realize some day when I'm on vacation, that the Mini is not that what I expected. I just flew around in open wide empty nature areas so far and I live in an area wheres not much interference at all.

This is exactly my disappointment to be honest...

I understand WiFi etc and how interference works but what I can't explain is how my spark was leagues ahead in terms of non disconnects. Just seems strange! I would have thought the mavic mini would be improved in that area as well.

Like yourself I flew my Mavic mini in open areas in the UK but now travelling Asia and unless I am quite literally in the middle of nowhere I experience issues with interference.

Very good bit of kit in open areas but my experience is that my spark had a more reliable connection unfortunately.

And yes exactly as you put into flight mode after caching maps!
2020-2-11
Use props
Frank13011
lvl.4
  • >>>
Indonesia

Additionally when looking in transmition at WiFi channels it will say for example no interference on channel 13 2.4 and then as soon as it's select shoot up to red lol

I've also noticed when it's telling me to adjust antennas on the controller it makes no difference !

Will see how it is over the next couple of weeks and maybe get a MP2 it's a shame I sold my spark otherwise I'd compare side by side!
2020-2-11
Use props
Luka_BiH_
lvl.4
Flight distance : 853110 ft
Bosnia and Herzegovina

Not normal. That is too short distance, in urban places I can go 500 with no problem at all
2020-2-11
Use props
Ice_2k
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1132575 ft
Romania

I don't know why some think this is normal. He's talking about 20m unless I'm misreading, there's no way a wifi signal should be unstable after 20m! I can't speak about the CE version from personal experience because I'm using the FCC Mini but from all the reviews online, even in the most wifi congested places it should go to at least 200m. Also, the Mini has better range than the Spark in all the tests I saw so if you're getting basically zero range from the Mini in an area where the Spark works fine, I would say there's something wrong with your particular Mini.
2020-2-12
Use props
Frank13011
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Ice_2k Posted at 2-12 01:03
I don't know why some think this is normal. He's talking about 20m unless I'm misreading, there's no way a wifi signal should be unstable after 20m! I can't speak about the CE version from personal experience because I'm using the FCC Mini but from all the reviews online, even in the most wifi congested places it should go to at least 200m. Also, the Mini has better range than the Spark in all the tests I saw so if you're getting basically zero range from the Mini in an area where the Spark works fine, I would say there's something wrong with your particular Mini.

Perfect thanks for the detailed response! guess I will have to get in contact with DJI then, what a pain in the arse!

Yep for example this morning I was on the rooftop bar where I am staying, tried to get a nice image of the pool and I couldn't go up higher than 19 meters without the range indicator going red and getting error Interference. At about 10 meters up I could get 21 meters away from me before it started happening.

Then I get RC disconnect etc and the drone is just hovering waiting for an input!
2020-2-12
Use props
Frank13011
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Also like you say I have seen the same reports about the Mavic Mini having a better range than the Spark, Do you ever have any signal issues where you get an error stating to adjust antennas on the controller? If so when you adjust does it solve the issue? My spark it did but this does not seem to do anything... Just trying to get some idea as to where the fault could be.

It's hardly been used and when I do use it I always launch and land form palm to prevent any dirt getting on it lol so certainly look after it!
2020-2-12
Use props
Ice_2k
Second Officer
Romania

Frank13011 Posted at 2-12 01:22
Also like you say I have seen the same reports about the Mavic Mini having a better range than the Spark, Do you ever have any signal issues where you get an error stating to adjust antennas on the controller? If so when you adjust does it solve the issue? My spark it did but this does not seem to do anything... Just trying to get some idea as to where the fault could be.

It's hardly been used and when I do use it I always launch and land form palm to prevent any dirt getting on it lol so certainly look after it!

I think the "adjust antenna" message is the standard message when getting interference, I don't think it's actually detecting your antennae are not positioned correctly.
2020-2-12
Use props
Frank13011
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Ice_2k Posted at 2-12 02:19
I think the "adjust antenna" message is the standard message when getting interference, I don't think it's actually detecting your antennae are not positioned correctly.

Makes sense because they are always in the correct advised position when i get that error lol
2020-2-12
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Hi. I am sorry for the trouble this has caused. With regards to this concern. I would recommend to please try refreshing the firmware of your DJI Mavic Mini using the DJI Assistant 2, Please try to fly the drone on a different location with less interference like power lines or radio towers to isolate the issue. Please keep us posted for further assistance. Thank you.
2020-2-12
Use props
lannes
First Officer
Flight distance : 4465 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Frank13011 Posted at 2-12 01:18
Perfect thanks for the detailed response! guess I will have to get in contact with DJI then, what a pain in the arse!

Yep for example this morning I was on the rooftop bar where I am staying, tried to get a nice image of the pool and I couldn't go up higher than 19 meters without the range indicator going red and getting error Interference. At about 10 meters up I could get 21 meters away from me before it started happening.

Are you wearing an apple watch by any chance
2020-2-12
Use props
amferreira
lvl.4
Flight distance : 263225 ft
Portugal

Frank13011 Posted at 2-12 02:33
Makes sense because they are always in the correct advised position when i get that error lol

I only had an occasion of lost connection and the MM was only 6 meters from me. The reason? The antennas were not pointing to the MM correctly and there was some interference from buildings, the concrete place where I was and a mall nearby.

It was a bit scary because the MM was just in front of me (I was testing if the ESC errors had vanished)  over a small pond. The lost connection triggered the auto-land and the MM started to land on the pond. I changed position of the antennas and regained connection before the MM hit the water surface. That would be completely pilot error.

I have flown on that park several times before without losing connection, although it was from a place 100 meters away from buildings and concrete structure.

I flew the MM for almost 50 minutes after that in a different area without any connection issue (max distance 250 meters away from controller).
2020-2-12
Use props
Frank13011
lvl.4
  • >>>
Indonesia

lannes Posted at 2-12 08:50

Something I didn't think of at all, not an apple watch but a Fitbit versa 2 yes... Bluetooth is off on my phone always but maybe the watch could be screwing with the 2.4ghz
2020-2-12
Use props
Frank13011
lvl.4
  • >>>
Indonesia

amferreira Posted at 2-12 08:54
I only had an occasion of lost connection and the MM was only 6 meters from me. The reason? The antennas were not pointing to the MM correctly and there was some interference from buildings, the concrete place where I was and a mall nearby.

It was a bit scary because the MM was just in front of me (I was testing if the ESC errors had vanished)  over a small pond. The lost connection triggered the auto-land and the MM started to land on the pond. I changed position of the antennas and regained connection before the MM hit the water surface. That would be completely pilot error.

Very scary isn't it, not nice! Going to do some more reading and see if the MP2 is really that much less sensitive to these issues. However if everyone else is saying it works ok must be something I'm doing wrong or a faulty unit!
2020-2-12
Use props
amferreira
lvl.4
Portugal

Frank13011 Posted at 2-12 09:06
Very scary isn't it, not nice! Going to do some more reading and see if the MP2 is really that much less sensitive to these issues. However if everyone else is saying it works ok must be something I'm doing wrong or a faulty unit!

M2P cost more than 4 times the MM and uses ocusync which is another transmission system. You can't compare both.

DJI Spark, Air and Mini are wifi drones and from factory the MM should have better transmission of the three. And I have seen tests on same place same time and the MM was better.

Like I said on my post I had the lost connection at 6 meters from controller and it was a pilot mistake. Location was bad, near the mall and over a concrete structure (lots of steel inside). The pond also helped to the interference, but the main culprit was the position of the antennas.

I was lazy because I wanted to be seated and all park benches where I have flown before were occupied. Only the concrete structure was free and although I knew that wasn't a good position to be controlling the MM, because I wanted to make a short flight to test that the ESC error was gone, I decided to fly from there. So as soon as the MM took off and went 6 meters over the pond, I let it hover to check for errors. Big mistake, I believe that if I continued to fly beyond the pond I wouldn't have lost connection.

But with the MM hovering 10 meters high and 6 meters away the antennas weren't correctly positioned and thus the lost connection.

Lesson learned.
2020-2-12
Use props
jonny007
Second Officer
Germany

In this video, the guy flies just 8 meters before the connection was lost. The cause is unknown, because he wrote the antennas were aligned flat. But maybe not as flat as he said and also strong interference. But in general: It is usually unfavorable to ascend vertically without a horizontal distance to the drone. Should be logical, because the antennas are in the arms, not in the fuselage. But strangely, there are also videos where 500 meters were reached ... vertically.

2020-2-12
Use props
amferreira
lvl.4
Portugal

jonny007 Posted at 2-12 10:10
In this video, the guy flies just 8 meters before the connection was lost. The cause is unknown, because he wrote the antennas were aligned flat. But maybe not as flat as he said and also strong interference. But in general: It is usually unfavorable to ascend vertically without a horizontal distance to the drone. Should be logical, because the antennas are in the arms, not in the fuselage. But strangely, there are also videos where 500 meters were reached ... vertically.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wuWT7jhT-AA

That's similar what happened to me. With MM just above you the antennas must be horizontal flat. If they are vertical with the interference from the house the connection may be lost like it was.
2020-2-12
Use props
lannes
First Officer
Flight distance : 4465 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Frank13011 Posted at 2-12 09:03
Something I didn't think of at all, not an apple watch but a Fitbit versa 2 yes... Bluetooth is off on my phone always but maybe the watch could be screwing with the 2.4ghz

Have you set your distance settings in DJI Fly correctly and make sure your not in payload mode or using the propeller cages
2020-2-12
Use props
Frank13011
lvl.4
  • >>>
Indonesia

lannes Posted at 2-12 15:57
Have you set your distance settings in DJI Fly correctly and make sure your not in payload mode or using the propeller cages

Hi, yeah all settings are correct unfortunately! I wish it was as simple as that, the pain in the arse i was in Singapore and at a DJI shop ( very friendly and helpful people btw ) only a week ago! Id have tried to swap it there but id asked them about it and they basically said it's normal for Mavic mini to be a bit wild in urban areas
2020-2-12
Use props
Frank13011
lvl.4
  • >>>
Indonesia

lannes Posted at 2-12 15:57

Hi, yeah all settings are correct unfortunately! I wish it was as simple as that, the pain in the arse i was in Singapore and at a DJI shop ( very friendly and helpful people btw ) only a week ago! Id have tried to swap it there but id asked them about it and they basically said it's normal for Mavic mini to be a bit wild in urban areas
2020-2-12
Use props
Frank13011
lvl.4
  • >>>
Indonesia

amferreira Posted at 2-12 10:01
M2P cost more than 4 times the MM and uses ocusync which is another transmission system. You can't compare both.

DJI Spark, Air and Mini are wifi drones and from factory the MM should have better transmission of the three. And I have seen tests on same place same time and the MM was better.

Of course makes sense! My issue is that it's happening in any area that's slightly built up. It's why I've for so long only ever flown in real wide open spaces etc as never really mad too much of an issue in that sort of environment. It still happens occasionally but it's enjoyable.

This is not enjoyable at all! I'll have another go today and check all the things listed! Thank you for so many suggestions everyone it's really handy to have such a constructive conversation! Will report back later
2020-2-12
Use props
Frank13011
lvl.4
  • >>>
Indonesia

Tried it in an open area with not much around, in this case I was getting the errors at really close range, around 10 - 20 meters all around. As soon as I pushed it out further than that over a forest it actually performed really well.
2020-2-12
Use props
Ice_2k
Second Officer
Romania

lannes Posted at 2-12 08:50

I’m always wearing my Apple watch when flying the Mini and I’ve never had issues because of that.
2020-2-12
Use props
Frank13011
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Ice_2k Posted at 2-12 22:56
I’m always wearing my Apple watch when flying the Mini and I’ve never had issues because of that.

Hmmm yeah im sure if it was due to watches more people would have these issues.
2020-2-13
Use props
amferreira
lvl.4
Portugal

Frank13011 Posted at 2-12 20:36
Tried it in an open area with not much around, in this case I was getting the errors at really close range, around 10 - 20 meters all around. As soon as I pushed it out further than that over a forest it actually performed really well.

That's the typical occurrance when the antennas aren't positioned for short distance. If you put the antennas vertical and you just move up the drone you will lose connection very soon. If you want the drone to stay abore you on a short range you should have the antennas flat horizontally.

You can do the test going strait up with the antennas vertically positioned and after do the same with the antennas horizontally. You see how you lose connection faster when antennas are vertically.
2020-2-13
Use props
Frank13011
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

amferreira Posted at 2-13 07:25
That's the typical occurrance when the antennas aren't positioned for short distance. If you put the antennas vertical and you just move up the drone you will lose connection very soon. If you want the drone to stay abore you on a short range you should have the antennas flat horizontally.

You can do the test going strait up with the antennas vertically positioned and after do the same with the antennas horizontally. You see how you lose connection faster when antennas are vertically.

Of course, I am well aware of this already. But thank you for your assistance anyway it is appreciated!
I can confirm it makes no difference what the antennas are doing.
2020-2-13
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules