carry-on luggage?
12Next >
10068 72 2020-2-12
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
djiguy001
lvl.4

Canada

a) I *think* it is - but can anyone confirm whether it is okay to have the mavic mini as carryon luggage (usa)? also - do I need to do anything (i.e., have batteries separate, or uncharged, or something else?)
b) with the mavic mini - I believe you do not need to register that? any confirmations? And I am assuming it is okay to fly (thinking of going on a vacation) - as long as not near airports/geo zones in the mavic mini/etc?

thanks!

2020-2-12
Use props
Guorium
lvl.4
Flight distance : 513061 ft
Australia

a) It is treated in a similar fashion as a laptop. You might be asked to show security the battery label and they may check the drone and remote too.
b) In many countries the threshold requiring registration is 250g but please check with the aviation authorities in the country you intend to fly your drone in for accurate rules and regulations.
2020-2-12
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

You should have no problem carrying, I have flown many times without any problem, it’s good practice not to have batteries fully charged and in lipo bags , but nobody has ever checked mine, you must bring batteries as hand luggage drone is optional in hold or carry on .

Your flying USA so doesn’t matter if it’s 249 or 1259g
2020-2-12
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Hi. Thank you for reaching out to DJI Forum. I hope that our valued DJI co pilots can provide you the best information for this inquiry. Thank you for your valued support.
2020-2-12
Use props
djiguy001
lvl.4

Canada

hallmark007 Posted at 2-12 07:52
You should have no problem carrying, I have flown many times without any problem, it’s good practice not to have batteries fully charged and in lipo bags , but nobody has ever checked mine, you must bring batteries as hand luggage drone is optional in hold or carry on .

Your flying USA so doesn’t matter if it’s 249 or 1259g

thanks! re: the 249/1259 -  you mean flyingwise, it doesn't matter, correct? thanks!
2020-2-12
Use props
djiguy001
lvl.4

Canada

Guorium Posted at 2-12 06:40
a) It is treated in a similar fashion as a laptop. You might be asked to show security the battery label and they may check the drone and remote too.
b) In many countries the threshold requiring registration is 250g but please check with the aviation authorities in the country you intend to fly your drone in for accurate rules and regulations.

thanks! also - btw, do you know what a 'lipo' bag is? is a clear plastic bag (i.e., ziplock) fine? thanks!
2020-2-12
Use props
amferreira
lvl.4
Flight distance : 263225 ft
Portugal

Check with the airline you fly because they may have different requirements. But do not carry batteries on checked luggage, it's forbidden. One airline I know only allows drones on checked luggage without batteries.

Batteries have to be carried on hand luggage subject to maximum of 100 Wh per battery (this is a common limit for airlines) and you can carry a limited number of batteries (including cell phones, cameras, power banks, etc). Some airlines allow 10 batteries other 12. Stand alone batteries or power banks if they don't show the Wh may be thrown away and not allowed to board an aircraft.

Lipo bags may help reducing a fire of lipo batteries. However, the MM batteries are Li Io and not Lipo.

2020-2-12
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

djiguy001 Posted at 2-12 08:16
thanks! re: the 249/1259 -  you mean flyingwise, it doesn't matter, correct? thanks!

Yes both flying and carrying on luggage,
2020-2-12
Use props
Woe
Captain
Flight distance : 4129268 ft
  • >>>
United States

Carry-on is ok. Just make sure your batteries are not fully charged.
I have had my batteries checked a few times and drone swab as well.
2020-2-12
Use props
Mizzu
lvl.4
Flight distance : 431873 ft
Germany

djiguy001 Posted at 2-12 08:16
thanks! also - btw, do you know what a 'lipo' bag is? is a clear plastic bag (i.e., ziplock) fine? thanks!

https://www.amazon.de/Lipolix-fe ... G9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==
2020-2-12
Use props
jonny007
lvl.4
Germany

Woe Posted at 2-12 10:10
Carry-on is ok. Just make sure your batteries are not fully charged.
I have had my batteries checked a few times and drone swab as well.

Hand luggage is clear, but why not fully loaded? That's new for me. With a possible control, the value of the capacity would be decisive, not whether empty full or half full....I think.
2020-2-12
Use props
amferreira
lvl.4
Portugal

jonny007 Posted at 2-12 10:34
Hand luggage is clear, but why not fully loaded? That's new for me. With a possible control, the value of the capacity would be decisive, not whether empty full or half full....I think.

I worked for 30 years for an airline and my airline doesn't allow drones in the carry on luggage.
2020-2-12
Use props
jonny007
lvl.4
Germany

Of course not the drone....the batteries in hand luggage, the drone in baggage. But I don't understand why the batteries must not be (fully) charged.
2020-2-12
Use props
Woe
Captain
  • >>>
United States

jonny007 Posted at 2-12 10:34

Not sure I understand the question, I can only speak from experience.
2020-2-12
Use props
Woe
Captain
  • >>>
United States

jonny007 Posted at 2-12 11:23
Of course not the drone....the batteries in hand luggage, the drone in baggage. But I don't understand why the batteries must not be (fully) charged.

I carry my drone on the plane in it's carrying case, along with
the batteries. Full batteries are more a hazard. Again I only speaking
from my experience. I would hate for you to get your batteries checked
and they won't let you on the plane for that reason.
2020-2-12
Use props
dutch937
lvl.3
Flight distance : 322461 ft
Canada

I assume due to pressure flying at high altitude. It's just been common practise to never fly with fully charged batteries.
2020-2-12
Use props
amferreira
lvl.4
Portugal

Woe Posted at 2-12 11:56
I carry my drone on the plane in it's carrying case, along with
the batteries. Full batteries are more a hazard. Again I only speaking
from my experience. I would hate for you to get your batteries checked

Before any flight, a traveller should contact the airline to see what is their policy towards transporting drones. Most airlines allow drones on carry on or checked lugagge (without batteries installed). My airline only allows drones on checked luggage.

Batteries have to be carried on hand luggage subject to maximum of 100 Wh per battery (this is a common limit for airlines) and you can carry a limited number of batteries (including cell phones, cameras, power banks, etc). Some airlines allow 10 batteries other 12. Stand alone batteries or power banks if they don't show the Wh may be thrown away and not allowed to board an aircraft.

The carry on batteries may have their energy output checked and not if they are charged or not.
2020-2-12
Use props
Woe
Captain
  • >>>
United States

amferreira Posted at 2-12 12:07
Before any flight, a traveller should contact the airline to see what is their policy towards transporting drones. Most airlines allow drones on carry on or checked lugagge (without batteries installed). My airline only allows drones on checked luggage.

Batteries have to be carried on hand luggage subject to maximum of 100 Wh per battery (this is a common limit for airlines) and you can carry a limited number of batteries (including cell phones, cameras, power banks, etc). Some airlines allow 10 batteries other 12. Stand alone batteries or power banks if they don't show the Wh may be thrown away and not allowed to board an aircraft.

Again I speaking from my experience. Checking the energy is the same as checking
for a charge. If I am saying something you are anyone else doesn't agree with that's
fine. The OP asked a question and I giving feedback from my experience, I don't make the
rules. I agree a traveler should check the policy of the airline. I been carrying my drones
on planes since 2016, so again this my experience.
2020-2-12
Use props
Woe
Captain
  • >>>
United States

dutch937 Posted at 2-12 12:02
I assume due to pressure flying at high altitude. It's just been common practise to never fly with fully charged batteries.

Agreed
2020-2-12
Use props
MRomine
lvl.4
Flight distance : 850971 ft
United States

amferreira Posted at 2-12 10:43
I worked for 30 years for an airline and my airline doesn't allow drones in the carry on luggage.

Hmmmm, I flew American to Ireland last May/June and had my drone (M2P) and batteries in my carry-on back-pack. No problems, no questions asked. I did so after looking at their requirements on their website.
2020-2-12
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

But I don't understand why the batteries must not be (fully) charged.
Because it a very common forum myth.
Any time people ask about batteries on planes someone will aways advise that batteries should be discharged and in LiPo bags (because they've heard it here before).
But it's a complete myth.
No airline  or air safety body asks for this.
No airport security check people check for this.
It's a myth.

If it was true, airlines wouldn't let you take a fully charged laptop, iPad, mobile phone etc.
They wouldn't provide charge ports in your seat either.

One more time ...  it's just a myth.
But it never dies because forums spread myths better than facts.
2020-2-12
Use props
fansb9a31ab8
lvl.4
Portugal

MRomine Posted at 2-12 12:53
Hmmmm, I flew American to Ireland last May/June and had my drone (M2P) and batteries in my carry-on back-pack. No problems, no questions asked. I did so after looking at their requirements on their website.

It is up to each airline policy. The batteries however shall be always on carry on luggage.
2020-2-12
Use props
fansb9a31ab8
lvl.4
Portugal

Woe Posted at 2-12 12:17
Again I speaking from my experience. Checking the energy is the same as checking
for a charge. If I am saying something you are anyone else doesn't agree with that's
fine. The OP asked a question and I giving feedback from my experience, I don't make the
I understand your experience but as an airline employee I have a bit more knowledge. Most airlines allow drones with carry on luggage but my airline don't. It would be a very unpleasant experience if you take your drone into one of my airline aircraft and your boarding being denied because of the drone.
Therefore always check with the airline before the flight.

What should be checked on batteries is the Wh that has to be less than 100. Some power banks don't have labelled their output and may be denied boarding with them. So, please check before flight.

After all that I said, I have been travelling all over the world and never had my batteries or power banks checked. But one day they might be checked.
I believe if I take the MM on its case as carry on luggage nobody will look into the case. Not even on my airline. But I don't gamble and when I will travel with the MM, it will go to checked luggage.
2020-2-12
Use props
fansb9a31ab8
lvl.4
Portugal

Labroides Posted at 2-12 13:05
But I don't understand why the batteries must not be (fully) charged.
Because it a very common forum myth.
Any time people ask about batteries on planes someone will aways advise that batteries should be discharged and in LiPo bags (because they've heard it here before).

If you go to most airline web pages you will find the limits for power output, usually 100 Wh, and number of batteries you can carry on board. I never saw batteries being checked for power output during my travels, but doesn't mean that one day they aren't checked. It's better to be safe than sorry.
2020-2-12
Use props
Woe
Captain
  • >>>
United States

fansb9a31ab8 Posted at 2-12 13:10
I understand your experience but as an airline employee I have a bit more knowledge. Most airlines allow drones with carry on luggage but my airline don't. It would be a very unpleasant experience if you take your drone into one of my airline aircraft and your boarding being denied because of the drone.
Therefore always check with the airline before the flight.

I disagree, you haven't had a drone long enough and never had your batteries checked
and your not in the states, so where"s the experience. Most folks who work for the airlines don't even
know the rules. Both my brother and sister-in-law  works for  the airlines.
One works for Delta and the other for Alaska so I'm well informed. I will
just leave it there.
2020-2-12
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

fansb9a31ab8 Posted at 2-12 13:18
If you go to most airline web pages you will find the limits for power output, usually 100 Wh, and number of batteries you can carry on board. I never saw batteries being checked for power output during my travels, but doesn't mean that one day they aren't checked. It's better to be safe than sorry.

I never saw batteries being checked for power output during my travels, but doesn't mean that one day they aren't checked.
That's because no airline or aviation safety authority has any recommendation to discharge your drone batteries before flying.

It's better to be safe than sorry.

It's not making anyone safer.
It's a total myth.
2020-2-12
Use props
fansb9a31ab8
lvl.4
Portugal

Labroides Posted at 2-12 13:59
I never saw batteries being checked for power output during my travels, but doesn't mean that one day they aren't checked.
That's because no airline or aviation safety authority has any recommendation to discharge your drone batteries before flying.

I wasn't talking about the charge of the battery but its energy output in Wh. If you go to most airline web site you can see that the limit allowed is 100 Wh per battery. Also, the limit how many batteries you can carry.
That's nothing to do with battery charge, even most power banks you can«t check the battery level.

When I said better be safe than sorry, I wasn't talking about the battery charge. I was saying that better safe (not having a battery over 100 Wh or power bank without Wh reference) than sorry (regret that the battery or power bank is discarded by security).
2020-2-12
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

fansb9a31ab8 Posted at 2-12 14:35
I wasn't talking about the charge of the battery but its energy output in Wh. If you go to most airline web site you can see that the limit allowed is 100 Wh per battery. Also, the limit how many batteries you can carry.
That's nothing to do with battery charge, even most power banks you can«t check the battery level.

I wasn't talking about the charge of the battery but its energy output in Wh. If you go to most airline web site you can see that the limit allowed is 100 Wh per battery.

You were responding to my post which was about the state of charge.
Your comments about the 100Wh limit is irrelevant when the topic of discussion is the Mavic mini.
DJI batteries for all Mavics and Phantoms and even the standard batteries for Inspires are all well below the 100 Wh limit.
The battery for the Mini is a tiny 8 Wh.
2020-2-12
Use props
The Saint
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5902228 ft
  • >>>
United States

unfortunately the airlines and the public are so hypersensitive about certain items that they themselves believe the myths and perpetrate the myths and even publish ridiculous policy on their websites.  so it may as well be true.  a drone is noting more than a flying laptop or a flying mobile phone or a flying iPad.  but if a drone shows up at the airport, how do you know some airline employee isn't going to let you have it with both barrels?  speaking of barrels, I know this is true because I frequently travel with firearms.  and the stuff I have to hear will make your head spin.  drones and guns are a target (no pun intended) and that's why we get the nonsense.  luckily guns have become serious business and recently the rules are well-vetted because gun owners didn't put up with the nonsense and it was impossible for me to argue the point and in this country, guns are a right; drones are not.  drone flyers let it happen to them and as was said, you'll get denied entry while a ton of full batteries are being stuffed into the cargo hold.  the airlines half the time won't even obey or follow their own rules.  "is that a drone?"  we don't allow those but let me check.  ugh!
2020-2-12
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

The Saint Posted at 2-12 15:46
unfortunately the airlines and the public are so hypersensitive about certain items that they themselves believe the myths and perpetrate the myths and even publish ridiculous policy on their websites.  so it may as well be true.  a drone is noting more than a flying laptop or a flying mobile phone or a flying iPad.  but if a drone shows up at the airport, how do you know some airline employee isn't going to let you have it with both barrels?  speaking of barrels, I know this is true because I frequently travel with firearms.  and the stuff I have to hear will make your head spin.  drones and guns are a target (no pun intended) and that's why we get the nonsense.  luckily guns have become serious business and recently the rules are well-vetted because gun owners didn't put up with the nonsense and it was impossible for me to argue the point and in this country, guns are a right; drones are not.  drone flyers let it happen to them and as was said, you'll get denied entry while a ton of full batteries are being stuffed into the cargo hold.  the airlines half the time won't even obey or follow their own rules.  "is that a drone?"  we don't allow those but let me check.  ugh!

a drone is noting more than a flying laptop or a flying mobile phone or a flying iPad.  
What you were trying to say is that it's a flying camera
but if a drone shows up at the airport, how do you know some airline employee isn't going to let you have it with both barrels?
How about the fact that hundreds of people fly with drones every day without any trouble?
Or the personal experience of hundreds of users reporting that they flew with no trouble and the absence of users reporting that they ran into trouble at the airport?
drones and guns are a target (no pun intended) and that's why we get the nonsense.
Maybe you need to travel with your drone before sharing what you imagine.
Your drone is not a target
2020-2-12
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Second Officer
United States

The Saint Posted at 2-12 15:46

"the airlines half the time won't even obey or follow their own rules.  "is that a drone?"  we don't allow those but let me check."

Good part of problem is Airport security personel with poor education (TSA only requires GED) and assemblyline rubberstamp security training.  Coupled to their Supervisors who will not over-rule their subordinates incorrect decision.  Luck of draw plays a part in what gets past and what don't.

An example: Many moons ago, verified before hand I could take a Scuba Pony bottle on board plane, as long as was empty and could be verified it was empty.  Went through security without a hitch.  Then airline changed gates, forcing all of us to leave secure area and go back through security at different checkpoint.  

This time, security said absolutely no way to Pony bottle.  Politely explained situation and had already been through security.  Answer was still no.  Security supervisor came over and reviewed situation.  Security person was insisting empty tank could blow up on plane.  Even though, valve body was removed, and they could look inside the tank.  Security supervisor backed his subordinate, and walked away.  

Took getting Airline's own security Administrator involved to get through.

2020-2-12
Use props
NightThunder
lvl.4
Flight distance : 106020 ft
United States

Watch this This is why you don't carry fully charged batteries on a plane. Always discharge to about 30% and use a good quality Lipo bag.Also. if you have morre than one battery in a Lipo bag make sure you cover the working end with electrical tape.
2020-2-12
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Second Officer
United States

NightThunder Posted at 2-12 19:36
Watch this video. This is why you don't carry fully charged batteries on a plane. Always discharge to about 30% and use a good quality Lipo bag.Also. if you have morre than one battery in a Lipo bag make sure you cover the working end with electrical tape.

LiPo safety bags I bought came with rubber covers which fit Mavic Pro batteries.
You could put batteries in LiPo bags to where electrical connectors are at opposite ends.

As a safety, I put chargers for LiPo batteries on a tile surface.  
2020-2-12
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 2-12 18:18
"the airlines half the time won't even obey or follow their own rules.  "is that a drone?"  we don't allow those but let me check."

Good part of problem is Airport security personel with poor education (TSA only requires GED) and assemblyline rubberstamp security training.  Coupled to their Supervisors who will not over-rule their subordinates incorrect decision.  Luck of draw plays a part in what gets past and what don't.

"the airlines half the time won't even obey or follow their own  rules.  "is that a drone?"  we don't allow those but let me check."

Good part of problem is Airport security personel with poor education  (TSA only requires GED) and assemblyline rubberstamp security  training.  Coupled to their Supervisors who will not over-rule their  subordinates incorrect decision.  Luck of draw plays a part in what gets  past and what don't.

That's fine for empty gas cylinders but it doesn't apply to drones.
Check the TSA website and you find that drones are allowed.
TSA people know this, they see them every day and let them through every day.

You folks that are suggesting there's a problem at the airports are speaking from your imagination rather than experience.

2020-2-13
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

NightThunder Posted at 2-12 19:36
Watch this video. This is why you don't carry fully charged batteries on a plane. Always discharge to about 30% and use a good quality Lipo bag.Also. if you have morre than one battery in a Lipo bag make sure you cover the working end with electrical tape.

This is why you don't carry fully charged batteries on a plane. Always discharge to about 30% and use a good quality Lipo bag.
That's extra brownie points for you ... but what about lipo batteries in every mobile phone, laptop and iPad on the plane?
The airlines and FAA don't think it's enough of a problem to suggest you discharge or use special bags.
2020-2-13
Use props
Ice_2k
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1132575 ft
Romania

Labroides Posted at 2-13 00:35
but what about lipo batteries in every mobile phone, laptop and iPad on the plane?

Those don't use LiPo batteries.
2020-2-13
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

The hysteria crew are here again, I would think I’ve taken anywhere from 60/100 flights in the last 5 years with drones batteries, I have never been stopped, I’ve flown all over Europe Dubai US and never even been asked to open my bag, which I have to say sometimes I’ve been disappointed with that.

So are we saying security staff are airports know nothing, or are we saying that security staff at airports are fully aware of the situation and are treating it accordingly, my guess is the second option only because you would think if they felt any danger they would at least once out of a hundred times checked my carry on luggage .

People carry on batteries of every sort everyday on flights and I haven’t read of any causing accidents, but I read others here writing that drones have never killed anyone so we shouldn’t have this rule that rule, well apply same to carrying batteries on aircraft and quit the hysteria tell it as it is .
2020-2-13
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Ice_2k Posted at 2-13 00:48

I don’t suppose you remember phones being recalled for suddenly combusting , I certainly don’t remember any drone batteries combusting .
2020-2-13
Use props
amferreira
lvl.4
Portugal

As I have stated before transport of drones on board an aircraft is dependent of the airline policy and airport authorities. The airport may allow you to pass security but if detected at the gate the airline personnel may refuse boarding if it is a denied boarding item. So before any travel I recommend to check with the airline, you can do it on their web page. I attach to this post some photos of the airline I work for web site where you can see that drones AREN'T allowed as carry on luggage and some guidelines about batteries.

Although I haven't seen any check at the gate during my travels worldwide, but I wouldn't risk to try to have my drone on the carry on luggage if the airline don't allow it. Even if I am pretty sure that my MM case would not raise any alert.
2020-2-13
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

Ice_2k Posted at 2-13 00:48

I'm so sorry ... I typed LiPo out of habit.
Some laptops and phones might not use LiPo batteries but some definitely do.
However that makes no difference to airlines, FAA, TSA etc.
All they care about is: Does the battery contain Lithium?
2020-2-13
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules