carry-on luggage?
10090 72 2020-2-12
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
amferreira
lvl.4
Flight distance : 263225 ft
Portugal

As far as registration of the MM is concerned you have to check the laws of the country you are going to.

I have been planning to go to Brazil and take my drone, my previous drone was a Parrot Bebop 2, and I had to register through a local person. I have sold my Parrot and bought the MM but I have to register it too because in Brazil the law is regarding MTOW and the MM has a MTOW of over 250gr.

In Portugal you don't have to register the MM with the Aviation Authority yet. But you have to register it with the Air Force because all aerial photography/film has to be approved by the AF. Depending on the location the AF may grant authorization for the whole county or for just a zone and up to 60 days. Where I usually fly I have been granted 60 days authorization that must be requested at least one week in advance.
2020-2-13
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

amferreira Posted at 2-13 04:25
As far as registration of the MM is concerned you have to check the laws of the country you are going to.

I have been planning to go to Brazil and take my drone, my previous drone was a Parrot Bebop 2, and I had to register through a local person. I have sold my Parrot and bought the MM but I have to register it too because in Brazil the law is regarding MTOW and the MM has a MTOW of over 250gr.

but I have to register it too because in Brazil the law is regarding MTOW and the MM has a MTOW of over 250gr.

You should check the specs for the Mini again
MAVIC MINI
Aircraft

Takeoff Weight [1]      249 g
Footnotes
1. Aircraft takeoff weight (includes battery, propellers, and a microSD card). Registration not required in some countries and regions. Check local rules and regulations before use.These specs have been determined through tests conducted with the latest firmware. Firmware updates can enhance performance, so updating to the latest firmware is highly recommended.
2020-2-13
Use props
amferreira
lvl.4
Portugal

Labroides Posted at 2-13 04:30
but I have to register it too because in Brazil the law is regarding MTOW and the MM has a MTOW of over 250gr.

You should check the specs for the Mini again

MTOW is Maximum Take Off Weight and following legislation in Brazil and soon on UK and European Union is MTOW and not TOW that counts toward limitations.

The Brazilian Aviation Authority states that the MM HAS to be registered because its MTOW is over 249gr (the MM can take off with prop guards taking the MTOW to around 270gr).

I am not saying that I agree with this but it is what is and anyone wanting to fly the MM in Brazil have to register it. I have done it already.
2020-2-13
Use props
Cal Evans
lvl.4
Flight distance : 85673 ft
United States

1) Yes. You can take it in your carry on luggage, even internationally. I recently took mine to Belgium.
2) Check the web. I could legally fly up to 10 meters in Belgium without being registered. However, I registered with the FAA and that is good enough for Belgium authorities. CHECK BEFORE YOU GO. I'm about to go to Belize and it is not legal to fly a drone in Belize...so I'm leaving it at home.

HTH,
=C=
2020-2-13
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

amferreira Posted at 2-13 04:44
MTOW is Maximum Take Off Weight and following legislation in Brazil and soon on UK and European Union is MTOW and not TOW that counts toward limitations.

The Brazilian Aviation Authority states that the MM HAS to be registered because its MTOW is over 249gr (the MM can take off with prop guards taking the MTOW to around 270gr).

Why would anyone want to handicap the (already underpowered) Mini with prop guards?
It's already a lucky dip trying to get a Mini back safely.
Prop guards only reduce your chances further.
2020-2-13
Use props
amferreira
lvl.4
Portugal

Labroides Posted at 2-13 05:11

Why would anyone want to handicap the (already underpowered) Mini with prop guards?

It doesn't matter that you fly without prop guards with a TOW of 249gr because the MTOW is over 250gr and it is the MTOW that counts for registration. If you consider an aircraft A fully loaded at its MTOW and a bigger aircraft B empty with a TOW less than aircraft A MTOW, aircraft B will pay higher airport taxes and fees because of its higher MTOW rather than its actual TOW. I believe that EASA is preparing legislation for drones using the same concept of MTOW.

In European Union and UK you will need to register the MM after June 2020 because it has a camera. Why having a camera is less safe than not having? Completely non sense but that will be the EASA law after June 2020.

RI in the US is another stupid rule as it is in the NPRM. It doesn't promote safety just remove hobbyists from the sky.
2020-2-13
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

amferreira Posted at 2-13 05:30
It doesn't matter that you fly without prop guards with a TOW of 249gr because the MTOW is over 250gr and it is the MTOW that counts for registration. If you consider an aircraft A fully loaded at its MTOW and a bigger aircraft B empty with a TOW less than aircraft A MTOW, aircraft B will pay higher airport taxes and fees because of its higher MTOW rather than its actual TOW. I believe that EASA is preparing legislation for drones using the same concept of MTOW.

In European Union and UK you will need to register the MM after June 2020 because it has a camera. Why having a camera is less safe than not having? Completely non sense but that will be the EASA law after June 2020.

It makes no sense that the aircraft weightfor registration  is the weight of the aircraft plus some dopey accessory that no-one uses.
Using that logic, the MTOW of any drone is the weight of the drone plus the heaviest accessory that it can lift.
2020-2-13
Use props
Sigmo
lvl.4
United States

Labroides Posted at 2-13 06:33
It makes no sense that the aircraft weightfor registration  is the weight of the aircraft plus some dopey accessory that no-one uses.
Using that logic, the MTOW of any drone is the weight of the drone plus the heaviest accessory that it can lift.
Where are you located?  Perhaps where you live, all laws and regulations are completely logical and well considered.

Where a lot of us live, this is not the case.

As you say, the government there is saying that they want to restrict the actual maximum take off weight.  Not one possible take off weight.  Maybe we don't like or agree with their rule.  But that doesn't change the rule.
2020-2-13
Use props
amferreira
lvl.4
Portugal

I agree with you but regulators make a lot of non sense regulations.
2020-2-13
Use props
Ice_2k
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1132575 ft
Romania

Well, that's exactly what the MTOW is, by definition It's basically not putting any trust in people to use the drone with no additions on it. There are lots of people adding lights and other stuff to their drones. Legally, those drones are no longer sub-250g and thus are not allowed to be flown without registration (even if, in the case of adding lights, they are arguably safer). To get around this, the rule makers are simply making sure you physically can't go above 250g with a non-registered drone.
2020-2-13
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
Flight distance : 5902228 ft
  • >>>
United States

sounds to me like the weight restriction is based on the fact that you cannot weigh the drone before every takeoff so you the drone is permitted to go unregistered if and only if it is not possible for  to takeoff at over 249g.

at least here in the usa, there is no scale involved and the rules do not have provisions for weighing a drone.
2020-2-13
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

Labroides Posted at 2-13 00:33
"the airlines half the time won't even obey or follow their own  rules.  "is that a drone?"  we don't allow those but let me check."

Good part of problem is Airport security personel with poor education  (TSA only requires GED) and assemblyline rubberstamp security  training.  Coupled to their Supervisors who will not over-rule their  subordinates incorrect decision.  Luck of draw plays a part in what gets  past and what don't.

You missed entire point.  You may be entirely legal, following all the rules.  But all it takes is one Security check-in person to say No.  And cause you a world of problems.
2020-2-13
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

amferreira Posted at 2-13 07:18
I agree with you but regulators make a lot of non sense regulations.

Agree with that!

Do believe (in case of U.S.) it is worth pursuing with our FAA as to why 250g was picked.  Get FAA to justify with physics and data the 250g limit.  

Probability being part of justification.  The proposed Drone ID rules should drastically reduce chances of a drone and plane crashing into each other.  If that is not case, then it says there is something wrong with FAA's proposed rule making on Drone ID.  
2020-2-13
Use props
amferreira
lvl.4
Portugal

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 2-13 10:59
Agree with that!

Do believe (in case of U.S.) it is worth pursuing with our FAA as to why 250g was picked.  Get FAA to justify with physics and data the 250g limit.  

The 250gr limit is a international standard (I know only Japan that has 200gr limit) and I think is related with the energy of mass falling from the sky and the energy of impact. Drone limits usually are 0-249, 250-24999 and above 25000. Regulations were defined to each of the weight bracket. But that's about to change in EASA countries.
2020-2-13
Use props
maihem.rc
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2076335 ft
  • >>>
United States

I have traveled domestically throughout the United States and internationally through London, Greece, Mexico, and the Cayman Islands with my drone and never been questioned, stopped, or had any sort of inspection.  That said, I do keep everything in my carry on bag, I try to remember to discharge batteries but know I have had them fully charged on several occasions and even used them to charge my phone with the usb adapter.  I don't really understand why anyone would not want to register with the FAA, it's like $5 and the test is good common sense stuff, even if it isn't required, just go ahead and register so you have a number for your next upgrade to a bigger drone!
2020-2-13
Use props
amferreira
lvl.4
Portugal

maihem.rc Posted at 2-13 11:12
I have traveled domestically throughout the United States and internationally through London, Greece, Mexico, and the Cayman Islands with my drone and never been questioned, stopped, or had any sort of inspection.  That said, I do keep everything in my carry on bag, I try to remember to discharge batteries but know I have had them fully charged on several occasions and even used them to charge my phone with the usb adapter.  I don't really understand why anyone would not want to register with the FAA, it's like $5 and the test is good common sense stuff, even if it isn't required, just go ahead and register so you have a number for your next upgrade to a bigger drone!

Transport of a drone inside an aircraft is part of the airline policy not airport or country. I work for an airline and my airline doesn't allow drones on carry on luggage. Only in checcked luggage without batteries that have to be carried abord in carry on luggage.
(see information on airline web page below).

Allowance must be checked prior to travel. I travel a lot and never saw airline staff inspecting carry on luggage other than for size. But if they see that is a drone, they will deny boarding or leave the drone behind.
2020-2-13
Use props
maihem.rc
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

I did read warnings about traveling in Mexico with a drone and that it can be a luck of the draw on whether any authority or potentially corrupt official would want to give you a hard time, fine, import tax, or confiscation.  I debated it and took the risk.  I only flew in areas with the owners or excursion staff permission that told me there would be no issues with flying.  I did not try to fly in any public or unprotected or uncontrolled environments.
2020-2-13
Use props
NightThunder
lvl.4
Flight distance : 106020 ft
United States

Labroides Posted at 2-13 00:35
This is why you don't carry fully charged batteries on a plane. Always discharge to about 30% and use a good quality Lipo bag.
That's extra brownie points for you ... but what about lipo batteries in every mobile phone, laptop and iPad on the plane?
The airlines and FAA don't think it's enough of a problem to suggest you discharge or use special bags.

Well, I decided to earn my 2 brownie points by replying to your post. Here is some addional info about Lipo. Traveling with fully charged batteries is not only putting you at risk but also everyone else. Pretty selfish of anyone to do that. And don't forget the Lipo bags.
BTW: Learned that 40% is the correct dischage point.

2020-2-13
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 2-13 10:47
You missed entire point.  You may be entirely legal, following all the rules.  But all it takes is one Security check-in person to say No.  And cause you a world of problems.

And you missed the fact that no-one is having these problems that you imagine.
Airport security check people don't think for themselves.
All they care about is finding items that are on their can't-fly list.
https://www.tsa.gov/travel/secur ... ibring/items/drones

They don't care about anything that's not on their list of prohibited items.
And drones are not on their list.
TSA people see drones every day and don't even blink.
Look at any of the hundreds of forum posts about airline travel and all you see is dumb questions and drone flyers commenting that they went through airport security without a hitch.
2020-2-13
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

NightThunder Posted at 2-13 14:06
Well, I decided to earn my 2 brownie points by replying to your post. Here is some addional info about Lipo. Traveling with fully charged batteries is not only putting you at risk but also everyone else. Pretty selfish of anyone to do that. And don't forget the Lipo bags.
BTW: Learned that 40% is the correct dischage point.

Traveling with fully charged batteries is not only putting you at risk but also everyone else. Pretty selfish of anyone to do that. And don't forget the Lipo bags.
That's a very noble attitude, but completely pointless.

You don't seem to realise that there will be a very large number of Lipo batteries on your next flight with you.
And you will be the only "unselfish" person bothering with your silly self-imposed battery protocol.
It's funny how the FAA, TSA, Airlines etc don't have the same attitude as you and forum myth spreaders.
The airline probably has usb charging facilities in the seats to help people keep their lithium powered devices charged during the flight.
If it really mattered, don't you think those authorities might care just a little?

And the LiPo bags you don't want to forget?
The TSA folks won't even know what they are.
It's onl;y in forums like this that anyone has heard of them.

2020-2-13
Use props
NightThunder
lvl.4
Flight distance : 106020 ft
United States

Labroides Posted at 2-13 14:34
Traveling with fully charged batteries is not only putting you at risk but also everyone else. Pretty selfish of anyone to do that. And don't forget the Lipo bags.
That's a very noble attitude, but completely pointless.

Whatever...  
2020-2-13
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

our friends over at the Ama:  
I have zero opinion of the topic that I want to state in this thread so watch it and ymmv.  i know the video is a bit dated and everyone has their own opinion on the topic.

disclaimer:  I do not work for the Ama and neither of those guys are me.  lol lol. this is not my video, i just posted it because we are discussing.
2020-2-13
Use props
maihem.rc
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

amferreira Posted at 2-13 11:19
Transport of a drone inside an aircraft is part of the airline policy not airport or country. I work for an airline and my airline doesn't allow drones on carry on luggage. Only in checcked luggage without batteries that have to be carried abord in carry on luggage.
(see information on airline web page below).

I understand that your airline is different, my reply was for the OP that asked about travel in the US so I was just giving my experience with travel, slightly beyond the US, and how the airlines that I have traveled required the portage of drones.  Yes, they should check with the airline they are traveling upon.
2020-2-14
Use props
amferreira
lvl.4
Portugal

maihem.rc Posted at 2-14 10:25
I understand that your airline is different, my reply was for the OP that asked about travel in the US so I was just giving my experience with travel, slightly beyond the US, and how the airlines that I have traveled required the portage of drones.  Yes, they should check with the airline they are traveling upon.

I just wanted to stress that each airline is different and may change policy without notice. Therefore, prior to travel we should check with the airline what is the policy at the time of travel.
2020-2-14
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

amferreira Posted at 2-14 16:24
I just wanted to stress that each airline is different and may change policy without notice. Therefore, prior to travel we should check with the airline what is the policy at the time of travel.

agreed.  esp in the usa where even the same airline can have different ways to implement the same policy.  the airport you took off from may see things a lot different than the one you landed at.

imagine a round trip where you got it right only to find out you're completely wrong when you try to return home.
2020-2-14
Use props
moniek1996
lvl.3
Flight distance : 509577 ft
United Kingdom

I just took my mini for a trip from the UK to Prague. I forgot to remove the battery from the drone itself and been asked to remove it out of the drone, but that's it - no further questions asked. I always carry the lipo bag with me and put all of my batteries in them (better save than sorry). It's pretty cheap and usually very compact so I'd strongly recommend getting one anyway.
From what I'm aware of, you can have the drone (without batteries) in both hand and hold luggage, however you have to have the larger lipo batteries on you in hand luggage.
In terms of flying the drone without the registration, as others said, it all depends on the country. Most of them allow drones under 250g to fly without registrations, but I know there are many places where different rules apply (e.g. Japan, hence DJI had to do a separate version for this market).
2020-2-15
Use props
Chickenhawk
lvl.2
Flight distance : 240545 ft

United States

moniek1996 Posted at 2-15 01:19
I just took my mini for a trip from the UK to Prague. I forgot to remove the battery from the drone itself and been asked to remove it out of the drone, but that's it - no further questions asked. I always carry the lipo bag with me and put all of my batteries in them (better save than sorry). It's pretty cheap and usually very compact so I'd strongly recommend getting one anyway.
From what I'm aware of, you can have the drone (without batteries) in both hand and hold luggage, however you have to have the larger lipo batteries on you in hand luggage.  
In terms of flying the drone without the registration, as others said, it all depends on the country. Most of them allow drones under 250g to fly without registrations, but I know there are many places where different rules apply (e.g. Japan, hence DJI had to do a separate version for this market).

Not sure if this has been discussed already but if you’re flying in the USA you’ll be subject to FAA rules which means no flying over people or flying over 400 feet AGL etc. etc. if you haven’t yet I would check the FAA website and know those rules before you attempt to fly even though you’re not required to register it you’re still subject to those rules
2020-2-23
Use props
cpaquette74
lvl.1
United States

amferreira Posted at 2-12 10:43
I worked for 30 years for an airline and my airline doesn't allow drones in the carry on luggage.

I have flown United, Southwest and Delta on domestic (US flights) all in the past year and have had ZERO issues with my DJI Mavic 2 pro as a carry on with (3) FULLY charged batteries (Lithium Ion) aboard.   I literally just flew from Denver to San Diego (and back) with everything fully charged through very tough (Denver) airport security and have had not even the slightest slowdown through the security (carry-on) scanners.  
2020-2-24
Use props
djiuser_jMgUOA2dfuLj
lvl.1
Flight distance : 868917 ft
United States

Labroides Posted at 2020-2-12 13:05
But I don't understand why the batteries must not be (fully) charged.
Because it a very common forum myth.
Any time people ask about batteries on planes someone will aways advise that batteries should be discharged and in LiPo bags (because they've heard it here before).

That's a really good point!  If you can't have fully charged batteries, then why do they provide a way for you to charge your batteries.  And although my upcoming trip will be my first time taking a drone on a plane, I've been taking fully charged camera and videocamera batteries on airplanes since...  probably 1996.  Nobody has every once asked me about my batteries or if they were charged.  
2021-3-6
Use props
ranrick
Second Officer
Flight distance : 8721903 ft
  • >>>
Philippines

There's also a note to discharge your batteries down to below 30% for transport in the mavic mini manual and guide
2021-3-7
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

ranrick Posted at 3-7 01:40
There's also a note to discharge your batteries down to below 30% for transport in the mavic mini manual and guide

And that's the only place you'll find it mentioned.
It's where the myth started.

You won't any airline, or the FAA recommending it for drone batteries, or any other lithium batteries.
You won't find any airport check-in security personnel checking for it.

If you dig deep enough you can find where DJI got the idea from.
It's come from IATA guidelines for shipping bulk quantities of lithium batteries as air freight.
IATA recommendations for cargo is the only place you find any mention of SOC (state of charge) for batteries.

2021-3-7
Use props
ranrick
Second Officer
Flight distance : 8721903 ft
  • >>>
Philippines

Labroides Posted at 3-7 02:20
And that's the only place you'll find it mentioned.
It's where the myth started.

Yep, I agree, and yeah it's just a recommendation, doesn't mean you gotta follow it. I mean all you gotta do is follow airline baggage rules really. And Li ion batteries are pretty stable as is, especially with smart controllers built in them,  else why could you use them and charge them onboard. Just for those who just want everything right and have some peace of mind, since even though they are the same li-ion batteries, they are rated for high power outputs and discharge rates unlike regular the ones in our everyday devices. Like yeah, there's little to no chance of any problems having fully charged mini batteries on board, but if you just want some peace of mind and to be extra sure I guess, no harm at it.
2021-3-7
Use props
voyagemiami443
New

United States

I know an online site of luggage bags. It has so many different bags of different brands you can visit the website.

I have mention link here: https://www.voyagemiami.co/
2021-5-6
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules