889 15 2020-2-14
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Ian in London
First Officer
Flight distance : 8330187 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

A little tutorial on the main steps to getting the very best out of your Mavic Mini's camera.

Happy flying  

Ian

2020-2-14
Use props
Newbie Europe
lvl.2
Germany

Your videos are as always very helpful and informative. Very good work and thank you for your effort! Your home area is very nice.
2020-2-14
Use props
SveinDJI
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1273379 ft
Norway

Thanks for the tips!
2020-2-14
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello and good day Ian. Thank you for sharing these information and for creating this informative video for the DJI Mavic Mini. You did an amazing and very informative video as always. Two thumbs up.
2020-2-14
Use props
Ian in London
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DJI Stephen Posted at 2-14 11:24
Hello and good day Ian. Thank you for sharing these information and for creating this informative video for the DJI Mavic Mini. You did an amazing and very informative video as always. Two thumbs up.

Thanks to all for the good words.  
2020-2-15
Use props
Francoisd
Second Officer
Flight distance : 66352 ft
France

Thank you for this sharing, very useful
2020-2-15
Use props
Mortensldk
Second Officer
Flight distance : 132592 ft
Denmark

Good info. Thanks for sharing.
2020-2-15
Use props
InspektorGadjet
Second Officer
Flight distance : 439915 ft
Spain

Very good info Ian, thanks for sharing.

Only one note, regarding the Histogram, the position of the peaks and valleys is related to color information, you dont want to aim for a peak in the middle, that would mean the image has only middle tones (for example a grass field), so represents a low contrast light scenario.

Having a peak near the far left means dark tones, the important thing here is that the peak stays between the histogram limits, if it passes off the left means underexposed and lost data, if it goes well over the right and disappears means is burnt whites and impossible to recover.

Having two peaks one far left and one far right but between the limits is OK, and it means you have a highly contrasted light situation, for example flying towards the sun with whites and dark areas.

I think the histogram is one of my top "settings" with the mini and any other camera I own.
Again thanks for sharing useful info!
2020-2-15
Use props
Ian in London
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

InspektorGadjet Posted at 2-15 02:38
Very good info Ian, thanks for sharing.

Only one note, regarding the Histogram, the position of the peaks and valleys is related to color information, you dont want to aim for a peak in the middle, that would mean the image has only middle tones (for example a grass field), so represents a low contrast light scenario.

Thanks for the Histo-advice there!  I'm still getting used to it and have found it very useful when the sun is shining and it's not always easy to know the exposure is right from what you see on the screen, as the screen itself can be misleading in bright light.    Hopefully people will work out how the histogram responds to various lighting; I guess it would be better to say a single large peak extreme left or extreme right is an indicator the exposure is wrong....

Cheers,
ian
2020-2-15
Use props
InspektorGadjet
Second Officer
Flight distance : 439915 ft
Spain

Ian in London Posted at 2-15 02:50
Thanks for the Histo-advice there!  I'm still getting used to it and have found it very useful when the sun is shining and it's not always easy to know the exposure is right from what you see on the screen, as the screen itself can be misleading in bright light.    Hopefully people will work out how the histogram responds to various lighting; I guess it would be better to say a single large peak extreme left or extreme right is an indicator the exposure is wrong....

Cheers,

Yeah, as long as the peak has a "climb and drop" is ok, it would be wrongly exposed if there is only one part of the curve showing, meaning the other part is gone and lost. This would show as a straight line in the histogram.

For example, recording in snow will give you a huge peak in the right, but if it falls before the far right end its ok, this is because the dominant tone is white, or near white.

Recording at night will give a huge peak near the left or dark areas, and probably some peaks in the right coming from night lights. Since the dark areas will be black, is Ok, increasing that will give you a lot of noise...

I agree judging the screen is miss leading, histograms are super helpful! and the only correct way to expose. The "zebra" view to show over exposed area is great too, and having a bit of burnt is Ok as long as is the sun or pure white like chrome or metallic reflective materials.
Cheers!
Julian
2020-2-15
Use props
Robban70
Second Officer
Flight distance : 125453 ft
Norway

Great video, thank you! I always appreciate some good advice and tips!
2020-2-15
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Ian in London Posted at 2-15 00:02
Thanks to all for the good words.

You are very much welcome Ian. Please stays safe always and keep on flying.
2020-2-15
Use props
Ian in London
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

InspektorGadjet Posted at 2-15 08:30
Yeah, as long as the peak has a "climb and drop" is ok, it would be wrongly exposed if there is only one part of the curve showing, meaning the other part is gone and lost. This would show as a straight line in the histogram.

For example, recording in snow will give you a huge peak in the right, but if it falls before the far right end its ok, this is because the dominant tone is white, or near white.

The Over-Exposure zebra stripes are great, but I usually leave them off as I screen-record for YouTube videos and it always distracts from what I'm trying to talk about....
2020-2-15
Use props
mraroid
lvl.1

United States

Hello Lan in London....

Thank you for posting the above video.  Very informative!  I am brand new to drones and know next to nothing about them.

I have a question.  Can you suggest some video editing software that can ruin on a PC that I can use to edit the file format that the Mavic Mini produces?  Also, I have a Pioneer 4K Ultra blu-ray burner in my windows 10 computer.  I would like to find some video editing software that would also let me burn a 4K Ultra blu-ray.  Any suggestions for me?  

Thanks again for your video.

mraroid in Salem Oregon, US
2020-2-15
Use props
Ian in London
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

mraroid Posted at 2-15 10:48
Hello Lan in London....

Thank you for posting the above video.  Very informative!  I am brand new to drones and know next to nothing about them.

Hello Mraroid.  A bit off topic   and you may get more responses if you create a new thread asking for video editing suggestions, but in the mean time you might try 'Cyberlink PowerDirector' as it's quite intuitive.  Your PC shoudl also have Windows Movie Maker.

CHeers, Ian
2020-2-16
Use props
mraroid
lvl.1

United States

Ian in London Posted at 2-16 00:15
Hello Mraroid.  A bit off topic   and you may get more responses if you create a new thread asking for video editing suggestions, but in the mean time you might try 'Cyberlink PowerDirector' as it's quite intuitive.  Your PC shoudl also have Windows Movie Maker.

CHeers, Ian

Thank you so much Ian.  I will check it out.

All the best,

mraroid, Salem, Oregon, US
2020-2-18
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules