Order of turning on devices
14198 30 2020-2-16
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
spanzetta
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1124738 ft
Italy

Can someone pls confirm the correct startup/turning on device sequence?
.. and also (if it matters) the right turning off sequence

Thanks in advance

2020-2-16
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

I looked one time previously for just that information in the Quick Start Guide and User's Manual.  No luck.

My method is as follows:
1 - Power on Remote Control
2 - Launch DJI Fly App
3 - Power on Mavic Mini
The reason I do this turn on order is so that I have the remote control up and ready in case Mavic Mini does an uncontrolled launch I might have a chance to take control.  I also want to make sure I have a good connection to DJI Fly App before I power on Mavic Mini.

For turn off:
1 - Power off Mavic Mini
2 - Power off Remote control
3 - Close DJI Fly App

Again, I use this method to ensure Mavic Mini is turned off before I turn off Remote Control.

I'm sure there are other ways to do start up and turn off but this has always worked safely for me.
2020-2-16
Use props
virtual
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4897142 ft
Czechia

The same sequence works for me - simply turn on controller first and turn off remote last.
2020-2-16
Use props
TDZHDTV
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2068550 ft
United Kingdom

I always turn on the Mini first, then the controller, while its connecting I plug in my phone.  I find when the DJI app goes live everything is connected with strong GPS lock.  I often hand launch so it’s a bit of a balancing act but helps if you have a controller neck strap.
2020-2-16
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello and good day spanzetta. Thank you for reaching out and for the inquiry. I will be posting an official DJI tutorial video on DJI Mavic Mini startup guide and on how to fly your DJI Mavic Mini. I hope this video can help you. Thank you.

2020-2-16
Use props
dark13star
lvl.2
Flight distance : 16739 ft
United States

DowntownRDB Posted at 2-16 06:05
I looked one time previously for just that information in the Quick Start Guide and User's Manual.  No luck.

My method is as follows:

Similar here, but step 4 for me is  to open the map, scroll around a bit to load it, then put my phone in Airplane Mode.
2020-2-16
Use props
Traxx119
lvl.4
Canada

I always power the Remote Controller first, then the Mavic Mini and lastly the DJI Fly App. Never had an issue doing it this way.
2020-2-16
Use props
spanzetta
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1124738 ft
Italy

DJI Stephen Posted at 2-16 08:22
Hello and good day spanzetta. Thank you for reaching out and for the inquiry. I will be posting an official DJI tutorial video on DJI Mavic Mini startup guide and on how to fly your DJI Mavic Mini. I hope this video can help you. Thank you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mI31SUeHpAY

thanks.. by seeing this video the right order should be:
- Remote Controller
- Mavic Mini
- DJI Fly app
while many other users says differently..

2020-2-16
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

spanzetta Posted at 2-16 10:04
thanks.. by seeing this video the right order should be:
- Remote Controller
- Mavic Mini

You are very much welcome spanzetta. For DJI that is the order that we usually do ( DJI Remote Controller, DJI Drone and DJI application ). For our valued DJI co pilots they have there own ways on how to do it as well. As long as there is no issues or error message when turning your devices on then it will work as well. Thank you and have a safe flight always.
2020-2-16
Use props
Steve Tron
lvl.4
Flight distance : 287001 ft
United Kingdom

This is what I do

Start up

1. Controller
2. App
3. Drone

Shutdown

1. Drone
2. Controller
3. App
2020-2-16
Use props
jonny007
Second Officer
Germany

On my phone the app starts automatically when I turn on the RC. It doesn't matter whether I turn on the mini before or after. Shutdown ? First mini, then rc, then app, sometimes first app, then rc, then mini. Now and then the other way round too. :-) When I fly my 2nd and 3rd battery, of course I switch off the mini to change the battery, but the rc and app remain on.
2020-2-16
Use props
m80116
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3264131 ft
Italy

There's no risk of unintended take off when the drone is unlinked. I tend to power on the aircraft first, to allow  a good GPS lock by the time the Remote Control is up and running and the Fly app has automatically launched and started displaying the downstream. This is the fastest way to a take off under a full GPS lock.
2020-2-16
Use props
Akirasho
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1622238 ft
United States

clear as mud.  I will continue to say a prayer to the UAS Godz for a safe flight!!!!  CTRL ALT DEL
2020-2-16
Use props
Jim_H
lvl.3
Flight distance : 787152 ft
Malaysia

My case;
1) turn on remote, connect my phone and fire up DJI fly app
2) then fire up the drone
3) wait for it to connect
4) do all my prelight check after letting the drone hovers
2020-2-16
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

m80116 Posted at 2-16 12:24
There's no risk of unintended take off when the drone is unlinked. I tend to power on the aircraft first, to allow  a good GPS lock by the time the Remote Control is up and running and the Fly app has automatically launched and started displaying the downstream. This is the fastest way to a take off under a full GPS lock.

Same here.  
Power up Mavic first.  Which gives it more time to get GPS lock.
Followed by powering up RC.   Pausing till it shows connected.
Lastly powering up CrystalSky, and starting GO-4.
2020-2-16
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Use method suggested by DowntownRDB. For a couple of reasons. 1/ having RC paired will always help if anything goes wrong when powering Craft up, gust of wind catches craft and you need to cut motors, no good if RC is not on, this was not uncommon with phantom drones . 2/ if you decide to land somewhere other than homepoint and turn off RC your craft still running may think it needs to preform a RTH.
almost everywhere for almost all RC’s it will be recommended to do as was said by DowntownRDB.
2020-2-17
Use props
Dmitry Vishnevskiy
lvl.4
Flight distance : 588635 ft
Russia

My method:
1. Drone on and put it to catch sats
2. RC on and prepare it to connect mobile (unload and screw sticks)
3. Connect mobile and load app (maybe load first and then connect, as is...)
4. When app is loaded, drone has already updated the home point, so i can take off

Turn off in random order

2020-2-17
Use props
Sarge Lausage
lvl.2
Flight distance : 104455 ft
United States

I turn on whichever one I feel like turning on first in a given moment. What I have found is that it really doesn't matter. I don't have to open up the DJI Fly app though as it auto-launches when I turn the controller on.
2020-2-17
Use props
Lucas775
First Officer
Flight distance : 50642090 ft
  • >>>
United States

I always(not really) do RC first then drone.
2020-2-17
Use props
Cal Evans
lvl.4
Flight distance : 85673 ft
United States

DowntownRDB Posted at 2-16 06:05
I looked one time previously for just that information in the Quick Start Guide and User's Manual.  No luck.

My method is as follows:

YUP. Same here.

Although I did not know that "uncontrolled launch" was a thing. Now I'm glad I do it this way.

Cheers!
=C=
2020-2-17
Use props
Blizzard
Second Officer
Flight distance : 173734 ft

Spain

Order of start-up:
- preflight check: are all props fastened, no metal in the vicinity, batteries fully loaded, check for wind, planning the flight
- always start first the remote, then the drone, then the app.

after landing;
- power off the drone
- power off the remote
- power off the app
- post flight check: temp off the battery, no cracks on props

Go home!
2020-2-17
Use props
virtual
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4897142 ft
Czechia

Cal Evans Posted at 2-17 12:21
YUP. Same here.

Although I did not know that "uncontrolled launch" was a thing. Now I'm glad I do it this way.

Nowadays controller and aircraft (transmitter and reciever) is paired (blinking leds go solid when they get connected), so interference while powering on is rare, even with other RCs around. But I'm used to do it like this (remote first) since the FM radios era...
2020-2-17
Use props
BobWinNV
Second Officer
Flight distance : 284209 ft
  • >>>
United States

Steve Tron Posted at 2-16 11:18
This is what I do

Start up

This is the way that I do it as well.
2020-2-17
Use props
deathsquad
Second Officer
Flight distance : 6763835 ft
  • >>>
Australia

TDZHDTV Posted at 2-16 08:06
I always turn on the Mini first, then the controller, while its connecting I plug in my phone.  I find when the DJI app goes live everything is connected with strong GPS lock.  I often hand launch so it’s a bit of a balancing act but helps if you have a controller neck strap.

How does your controller neck strap attach? Can you share a pic? I hand launch also and it can be a juggling act sometimes.
2020-2-17
Use props
TrippleDelta
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2228182 ft
Belgium

Controller first on, last out.
You need to be in control of your drone at all time.

These are very important steps during an exam.
2020-2-17
Use props
Dmitry Vishnevskiy
lvl.4
Flight distance : 588635 ft
Russia

deathsquad Posted at 2-17 13:03
How does your controller neck strap attach? Can you share a pic? I hand launch also and it can be a juggling act sometimes.

My case (this is Mavic Air RC):

Nec strap

Nec strap

2020-2-17
Use props
Guorium
Second Officer
Flight distance : 513061 ft
Australia

I don’t know. I turn whatever I see first on.
2020-2-17
Use props
Savage3006
lvl.4
Flight distance : 156709 ft
United States

Traxx119 Posted at 2-16 08:52
I always power the Remote Controller first, then the Mavic Mini and lastly the DJI Fly App. Never had an issue doing it this way.

That's the proper way, never know when you turn on the mini first, always remote first.
2020-2-17
Use props
TDZHDTV
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2068550 ft
United Kingdom

deathsquad Posted at 2-17 13:03

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0 ... Fitm%2F153498986515
2020-2-18
Use props
Porktree
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1118323 ft
  • >>>
United States

m80116 Posted at 2-16 12:24
There's no risk of unintended take off when the drone is unlinked. I tend to power on the aircraft first, to allow  a good GPS lock by the time the Remote Control is up and running and the Fly app has automatically launched and started displaying the downstream. This is the fastest way to a take off under a full GPS lock.

Exactly,  I'm not religious about it, but I pretty much always start the ac first.  The mini seems to take longer to get sat locks than my other dji quads.  

I do always power down the quad first, then the rc, then the app.
2020-2-18
Use props
Traxx119
lvl.4
Canada

Seems like the order doesn't matter much. Personally i like having the RC on before turning on the Mini, just in case. When powering down i do Mini, RC and DJI App last.
2020-2-18
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules