Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Mavic Pro 2 suddenly acts on its own - control lost
2819 13 2020-2-16
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
gerdp1234
lvl.1
Flight distance : 377913 ft
  • >>>
Austria

Hi,

I have some bad experience with the Mavic 2 pro if I want to make shots if I am in my canyon. About three months ago I was e.g. in Bali, Indonsia and started the drone at the bottom of the waterfall (of course not close to the water). I put it to a certain hight and wanted that is stayed stable. After about 30 seconds the drone started moving forwards/to the side wherby I did not touch anything on the controller. So I had to use the controller in order it comes back an it did not crash. This happened to me about three time (acutally any time when I am in such a canyon. I think I never had this problem with the Mavit 1. Today the situation was even worse: I had my controler in the Tripod mode and was flying the Mavic 2 Pro very close a very small river, even bevor the canyon started. So it was very low in hight. I deactivated the obstacle detector. At the beginning it worked well. Suddenly I realized that the mavic again did move on its own, slowly but it did. This was about for 20 seconds and then it happended: Without doing anything the drone was going completely wild turned left at high speed and crashed into a tree. Furthermore, I could not stop it so I had to take out the battery so that it stoped (was quite hurting at my fingers and destroyed my soft shell jacket). In terms of distance: I was only about one meter away from the drone Any idea why this happened. Did anybody have similar experience with the Mavic Pro 2 and what shall I do. Last info: I Bali I also had a problem during a start: I started, and when it had about a hight of 20 cm it went wild was flying agressively forward a was stopped by a wall. I was very lucky that it did not landed in the water and the money was lost........... Please help!
2020-2-16
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello and good day gerdp1234. I am sorry to read and to know what happened to your previous flights with your DJI Mavic 2 Pro. Since there was a crash that happened. I would highly recommend to contact our DJI support team at https://www.dji.com/support?site=brandsite&from=nav for us to be able to assist you further with regards to this issue.  We have the team who would do their best to fix the said issue and then the corresponding resolution would be provided. Again I am sorry for the trouble and thank for your support.
2020-2-16
Use props
gerdp1234
lvl.1
  • >>>
Austria

DJI Stephen Posted at 2-16 10:44
Hello and good day gerdp1234. I am sorry to read and to know what happened to your previous flights with your DJI Mavic 2 Pro. Since there was a crash that happened. I would highly recommend to contact our DJI support team at https://www.dji.com/support?site=brandsite&from=nav for us to be able to assist you further with regards to this issue.  We have the team who would do their best to fix the said issue and then the corresponding resolution would be provided. Again I am sorry for the trouble and thank for your support.

Ok I just did this via email.
2020-2-16
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 12225059 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Hiya,

if you want some help upload your flightlog using this > https://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/

than post the link on here.

Reading your post my guess is loss of GPS signal, but guessing is bad to do, so log will tell more.

cheers
JJB
2020-2-16
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

Flying in a canyon usually means poor GPS reception, I suggest you take the advice of JJB*
2020-2-16
Use props
gerdp1234
lvl.1
  • >>>
Austria

JJB* Posted at 2-16 13:04
Hiya,

if you want some help upload your flightlog using this > https://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/

Ok thanks a lot I will try this
2020-2-17
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

gerdp1234 Posted at 2-16 10:48
Ok I just did this via email.

Thank you for the given update gerdp1234. It is great to know that you have contacted our DJI support team. Again thank you and please be safe always.
2020-2-17
Use props
gerdp1234
lvl.1
  • >>>
Austria

JJB* Posted at 2-16 13:04
Hiya,

Hi, sorry for the late reply, I was on a business trip. Ok now I figured out how I get the log file: Here is the link https://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/IQZZFJ7LD2SPE9RBZYG3. I would also like to give some more details of the flight so that you know the sequenc:
1. I wanted flying in very low hight very close to the water (I wanted to record the water which is coming down from the canyon - it was not a big river but relly small. The creek (hope this is the right word - I am Austrian and English is not my native language) was about 1,5 m bright. By mistake I first put in sport mode - but only for about 1 second, I realized immediately. Then I put into Tripod mode. Everything worked well for quite some time, meaning the drone only did what I wanted. When I did nothing, it stayed exactely at the same position. Then suddenly it started to move slowely right/left = moved by its own although I did not do anything on the smart controller. So I had to interfere and move on the controler always in the oppsite direction so that it did not crash. That was also the problem that I had 2 or 3 times in a canyon (close to a waterfall) in Bali even in higher hight. At lease I could correct the self movements of the drone as the speed was slow.
But then last Sunday it happened that from one moment the drone went wild. Although I was still in tripod mode it turned left invreased speed from one moment to another like crazy and after one meter it crashed into a tree - fortunately not into the water. the rotors were still rotating at high speed, I had no chance to stop them via the smart controller. So at the end I succeeded to take out the battery from the drone - so that it had no power any more and the rotor did stop rotating. Also fortunately I had rotor protectors, I did not see any real damage at the drone. But of course I am scared that this happens again. So it  would be great if you could read anything from the data.
2020-2-21
Use props
gerdp1234
lvl.1
  • >>>
Austria

gerdp1234 Posted at 2-21 00:53
Hi, sorry for the late reply, I was on a business trip. Ok now I figured out how I get the log file: Here is the link https://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/IQZZFJ7LD2SPE9RBZYG3. I would also like to give some more details of the flight so that you know the sequenc:
1. I wanted flying in very low hight very close to the water (I wanted to record the water which is coming down from the canyon - it was not a big river but relly small. The creek (hope this is the right word - I am Austrian and English is not my native language) was about 1,5 m bright. By mistake I first put in sport mode - but only for about 1 second, I realized immediately. Then I put into Tripod mode. Everything worked well for quite some time, meaning the drone only did what I wanted. When I did nothing, it stayed exactely at the same position. Then suddenly it started to move slowely right/left = moved by its own although I did not do anything on the smart controller. So I had to interfere and move on the controler always in the oppsite direction so that it did not crash. That was also the problem that I had 2 or 3 times in a canyon (close to a waterfall) in Bali even in higher hight. At lease I could correct the self movements of the drone as the speed was slow.
But then last Sunday it happened that from one moment the drone went wild. Although I was still in tripod mode it turned left invreased speed from one moment to another like crazy and after one meter it crashed into a tree - fortunately not into the water. the rotors were still rotating at high speed, I had no chance to stop them via the smart controller. So at the end I succeeded to take out the battery from the drone - so that it had no power any more and the rotor did stop rotating. Also fortunately I had rotor protectors, I did not see any real damage at the drone. But of course I am scared that this happens again. So it  would be great if you could read anything from the data.

One more question: I see that there are so many data at the smart controller - is there anywhere a kind of tutorial or descriptiona available for what this data are all for? Thanks in advance for your feedback.
2020-2-21
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 12225059 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

gerdp1234 Posted at 2-21 00:53
Hi, sorry for the late reply, I was on a business trip. Ok now I figured out how I get the log file: Here is the link https://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/IQZZFJ7LD2SPE9RBZYG3. I would also like to give some more details of the flight so that you know the sequenc:
1. I wanted flying in very low hight very close to the water (I wanted to record the water which is coming down from the canyon - it was not a big river but relly small. The creek (hope this is the right word - I am Austrian and English is not my native language) was about 1,5 m bright. By mistake I first put in sport mode - but only for about 1 second, I realized immediately. Then I put into Tripod mode. Everything worked well for quite some time, meaning the drone only did what I wanted. When I did nothing, it stayed exactely at the same position. Then suddenly it started to move slowely right/left = moved by its own although I did not do anything on the smart controller. So I had to interfere and move on the controler always in the oppsite direction so that it did not crash. That was also the problem that I had 2 or 3 times in a canyon (close to a waterfall) in Bali even in higher hight. At lease I could correct the self movements of the drone as the speed was slow.
But then last Sunday it happened that from one moment the drone went wild. Although I was still in tripod mode it turned left invreased speed from one moment to another like crazy and after one meter it crashed into a tree - fortunately not into the water. the rotors were still rotating at high speed, I had no chance to stop them via the smart controller. So at the end I succeeded to take out the battery from the drone - so that it had no power any more and the rotor did stop rotating. Also fortunately I had rotor protectors, I did not see any real damage at the drone. But of course I am scared that this happens again. So it  would be great if you could read anything from the data.

Hi,

Lucky to still have your MP2!

Flying in a 'canyon' is not always a good idea. During your whole flight the number of GPS satellites were fluctuation from 6 - 8, and the reception often from low number to zero.
So not always MP2 LatLon position recorded in your log.
For your flight ; a lot of times in and out Tripod mode, into OPTI and at the end few times in ATTI.
Guess my chart make this clear to see.

OPTI mode possible beacuse enough light and flying at low altitude.
In ATTI drone will move around if its disturbed by (some) wind, and move need to be stopped by your because it cannot hover due to no gps lock.

One of the warnings in your log: "Schwaches GPS-Signal. Schweben im Atti-Modus instabil. Bitte besonders vorsichtig fliegen"

PS1
DJI drones uses a GPS chip wich uses GPS and GLONASS sats, so no need to have 11 sats. GPS lock possible from 6 or 7 sats, any combination of GPS and GLONASS adds up to 6 or 7 is OKE. But more is better as not only number is important but as well where the sats are spread out in the sky. Lower than 3 bar of GPS reception can mean bad hover accurancy.!
PS2
As you drone was flying in and out Tripod - OPTI - Tripod ; you had enought light for this to happen.

I do not have a smart controller so cannot answer that question, for sure other experienced friendly users wil help your with this.
cheers
JJB

analysis3.png
analysis1.png
2020-2-21
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

It looks like just a case of low light so vision system not working along with low gps count that caused unsteady movements in your drone, and ultimately a fly away.
Unless you had CSC turned off on your app RC you should after crash been able to shut your craft down, it only works in emergency situations similar to your crash.

In areas where gps signal is likely to be blocked you need to have reasonable light for vision sensors to create good hold of your position, so two things going against you 1/low gps count 2/ low light.

For dji drone to work safely with gps you really should have minimum 6 satellites , but because you can receive two different types of sats glonass and gps, on your telemetry you should be looking for minimum 11 which insures you have at least 6 of one kind, but more important and easier to check is small graph bar which should have 4/5 bars lit up white.

Hopefully your drone is ok and it lives to fly another day .

Loss of GPS
Loss of GPS will lead to DRONE drifting with the wind. Inertial Monitoring Unit (IMU) will maintain aircraft stability. Return-to-Home function will be lost. GPS signal can be lost when operating in mountainous areas, built-up areas, forest areas and any other areas where GPS signals are blocked. Vision positioning systems may not work if heights in excess of 5m are maintained.

Actions
• Maintain lateral position using right stick (mode 2) control inputs
• Land as soon as practical

Forced Landing
If the stability of the DRONE is in doubt, it is best to attempt an immediate landing instead of returning to land at the assigned landing point. Delay in landing might allow stability issue deteriorate further. Suitable Emergency Landing sites Should always be identified and briefed prior to flight.
Actions
• Route to pre-determined Emergency Landing site
• Land

2020-2-21
Use props
gerdp1234
lvl.1
  • >>>
Austria

thanks a lot for all your invoice. Helped a lot!
2020-3-5
Use props
Matman
lvl.4
Flight distance : 644669 ft
United States

This happened to me earlier this year, did you by chance have an ND filter on?
2020-3-5
Use props
gerdp1234
lvl.1
  • >>>
Austria

No, I have ND filters but only had them one or two times on. Not in this case
2020-3-10
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now