What to say to politely tell people to wait until you land to talk?
2926 7 2020-2-17
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
johnh2005
lvl.2
Flight distance : 130220 ft
United States

So, I had an incident where a property manager came over to talk to me while I was mid-flight.  The battery had just chimed that it was low so I hit "Return to Home" and started speaking with them while watching the drone.  Unfortunately, there was a malfunction and the drone took off the opposite direction of home.  I told her that I needed to attend to the drone but she kept insisting I speak with her.  Well, I started walking away from her and after the drone.  However, it wound up flying into a big tree, crashing and tearing off all four blades and breaking a hub.  

When you have people that approach you during a flight what do you tell them to get them to leave you alone until you are finished with the flight?

This is my thought.

"I am an FAA licensed drone pilot currently operating an FAA registered aircraft under US regulation part 107.  Please allow me to land my aircraft before continuing."

What do you guys say?
2020-2-17
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello and good day johnh2005. Thank you for reaching out and for sharing these information with us. I hope that you will get the best recommendation from our valued DJI co pilots on what to do on this situation. For me personally, I will tell her on a polite and respective manner that I will first retrieve my drone and then get back to her to talk to her and gladly answer here questions. In addition since your DJI drone flew into a big tree, crashing and tearing off all four blades and breaking a hub. I would recommend you contact our DJI support team at https://www.dji.com/support?site=brandsite&from=nav for us to be able to assist you further. We have the team who would do their best to find out the reason of the incident and then the corresponding resolution would be provided. Please note that DJI will not perform data analysis for cases occurring after the expiry of the warranty period; otherwise, valid charges will apply. Thank for your support and have a safe flight always.
2020-2-17
Use props
dwin1977
lvl.3
Flight distance : 2730026 ft
  • >>>
United States

"Sir and Ma'am" always. They don't know and really have no need to know the regulations. That goes for anyone approaching you. Law enforcement, government and civilian. Your current flight is over. Bring it home. Then be the ambassador the general public needs.
2020-2-17
Use props
Dmitry Vishnevskiy
lvl.4
Flight distance : 588635 ft
Russia

I answer that the drone in the air requires my attention (this is true), in order to avoid incidents, I will complete the flight and after landing I will answer all questions.
2020-2-18
Use props
Hurley1718
Second Officer
Flight distance : 549295 ft
  • >>>
United States

You basically had a perfect storm happen with your battery being low and someone approaching you at the same time.

For me if someone approaches me and I have well over half a battery i will let it hover while I address the person. You didn't really have that luxury. If I am bringing the drone home I will keep my eyes on the bird or screen and just let them know I will talk as soon as I land it.

I know there are reflective vests you can buy that let people know you are currently flying, that might be an option for you as well.
2020-2-19
Use props
johnh2005gmail.com
lvl.2
Flight distance : 130220 ft
United States

So, we decided to go ahead and purchase safety vests that say "FAA LICENSED COMMERCIAL DRONE PILOT ---  PLEASE STAND BACK" on the back and the front.  And then from there, we can ask them very nice to please wait until the flight mission is completed.
That, or do this:

2020-2-25
Use props
Cloward DJI Mavic Pro
New

United States

This is all really great information. I'm new to this and hadn't even considered that curious people may want to come up and talk during midflight.
2020-3-10
Use props
djiuser_ssuf839Q4fGP
New
Flight distance : 9902 ft
Canada

The vest idea is solid. Perhaps a little sign stating that piloting your drone requires attention might stop them before they start.
2020-3-25
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules