Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
DJI Drone explodes over highway reporting to FAA and US Media
2450 39 2020-2-18
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Razinkane
lvl.1
Flight distance : 68156 ft
United States

I gave DJI plenty of time to make it right and explain how the drone fell 330ft out of the sky endanging lives.  Battery shot off drone and was not recovered.   Battery had 2 hrs flight time MAX, was fully charged day before flight, powered up normal. LED on battery had 4 green lights. No indication battery had a problem.

DJI Drone battery explodes over US highway  Debris rains on highway.    DJI takes no responsibility    Says unit out of warranty.  

Technical staff says Out of Warranty send $982   

Flight log https://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/YMM5VFUQUXGVU5FHFU39/   

DJI stated
"First, we have coordinated your concern and provided the pictures you presented with our Engineers and they reviewed it. They have checked it and we coordinate this to our analysis team to check the flight records. I was able to get the result of the analysis and based on their investigation, they didn't say that the battery exploded while flying.

Since the unit is already out of warranty, I'm sorry but we cannot provide free service and the quotation should be settled for us to continue on the case. Please check the after-sales policy on this link:https://www.dji.com/service/policy?site=brandsite&from=footer

To help you with the quotation, I can offer a 10% discount and should you accept it, you can inform me here. Please take note that the final notice was already sent to you and the drone might be sent back to you unrepaired in case the quotation will not be settled for a certain period of time.

Looking forward to your early reply.

Thank you for choosing DJI Products."

IMG_20191228_124805.jpg
IMG_20191231_141437.jpg
IMG_20191231_141444.jpg
batt_con.jpg
explosion.jpg
2020-2-18
Use props
Razinkane
lvl.1
United States

2020-2-18
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

How about giving some actual information rather than this clickbait nonsense?
2020-2-18
Use props
Woe
Captain
Flight distance : 4129268 ft
  • >>>
United States

clickbait
2020-2-18
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

You could post your flight log - https://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/
2020-2-19
Use props
Matthew Dobrski
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1831050 ft
  • >>>
Canada

Ignored for the lack of valuable information ...
2020-2-19
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

DAFlys Posted at 2-19 00:18

If the battery really exploded, all the data would show would be a drone flying and the data just stopping.
It wouldn't prove anything.
Just like his post.
2020-2-19
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Hi Razinkane, we apologize for what happened, your case has already been escalated to the higher-level team for better follow-up and the team has provided the resolution. If you don't accept it, we will inform the team to double check and keep you updated, please wait patiently, thank you.
2020-2-19
Use props
M2Wair
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1192231 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Ahhhhhhhh hello you'd get further posting factual evidence than the rubbish you've so far posted.

Send it in to DJI engineers for an inspection, they've the skilled technical staff to establish cause, and if at fault they will assist you without question.
2020-2-19
Use props
Razinkane
lvl.1
United States

https://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/YMM5VFUQUXGVU5FHFU39/
2020-2-19
Use props
Razinkane
lvl.1
United States

M2Wair Posted at 2-19 04:06
Ahhhhhhhh hello you'd get further posting factual evidence than the rubbish you've so far posted.

Send it in to DJI engineers for an inspection, they've the skilled technical staff to establish cause, and if at fault they will assist you without question.

Technical staff says Out of Warranty send $982
2020-2-19
Use props
Razinkane
lvl.1
United States

Labroides Posted at 2-19 02:22
If the battery really exploded, all the data would show would be a drone flying and the data just stopping.
It wouldn't prove anything.
Just like his post.

2020-2-19
Use props
Razinkane
lvl.1
United States

Labroides Posted at 2-18 17:42
How about giving some actual information rather than this clickbait nonsense?

2020-2-19
Use props
Razinkane
lvl.1
United States

2020-2-19
Use props
Razinkane
lvl.1
United States

https://photos.app.goo.gl/jtDEweD4DAyuSxT48
2020-2-19
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

Surprise, surprise, the data shows your drone in a stable vertical climb 337 feet in the air with plenty of battery and the data just stops at a point 120 feet from the highway.
That doesn't prove anything.

You show photos of a damaged Mavic.
Despite the hollywood-style special effects flash you added in your initial post, there's no flash or burning damage.
The damage appears to be impact damage caused by falling 337 feet to the ground.
I don't see the battery which would be important evidence if the drone had "exploded".

My first question is: Did the drone actually explode or is that your guess to explain a drone hovering and then appearing on the ground?
Was any flash or bang seen or heard?

What do we know about the battery?
What does it look like?
How has it been treated since new?
Was there any damage or swelling of the battery before the flight?
Is that a small scorch mark on the left edge of the battery contacts in your third photo?
2020-2-19
Use props
Lamplighter55
lvl.4
Flight distance : 538596 ft
United Kingdom

The missing evidence is the battery or whatever was left of it. There are indeed hints that the battery may have caught fire - looking at the first photo in your set. Looking at the data the variation in voltage balance between the subcells of the battery look like something was off - but without any photographic evidence of the main battery one can only speculate.
2020-2-19
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

Lamplighter55 Posted at 2-19 15:44
The missing evidence is the battery or whatever was left of it. There are indeed hints that the battery may have caught fire - looking at the first photo in your set. Looking at the data the variation in voltage balance between the subcells of the battery look like something was off - but without any photographic evidence of the main battery one can only speculate.

Looking at the data the variation in voltage balance between the subcells of the battery look like something was off
If cell voltage differences of 0.1V were a serious issue, most drone flyers would have lost their drones long ago.
2020-2-19
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

It’s what’s known as a crock of Sh#t
2020-2-19
Use props
BigBird-2
lvl.4
Flight distance : 883645 ft
  • >>>
United States

Looks really close to power line.
2020-2-19
Use props
BigBird-2
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

2020-2-19
Use props
BigBird-2
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Looks pretty close to power line.
Note: tried to delete this dup. but was unable. Sorry for the dup.

2020-2-19
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Second Officer
United States

BigBird-2 Posted at 2-19 17:34

Nah, it wasn't power line.  First message in log explains it.
"GEO: You are in a Warning Zone (Airport). Fly with caution."

Pilot ignored Warning, and Airport activated it's new Laser defense grid.  Blowing drone right out of sky as YouTube video shows.  Always amazing how there is somebody right there filming when B.S. happens...
2020-2-19
Use props
Razinkane
lvl.1
United States

battery exploded off of drone  shearing the Battery Connector          From the ground saw white smoke and props falling off  
2020-2-20
Use props
djiuser_OSengvVB4GTH
lvl.1

United States

Analysis done by several on MavicPilots.com doesn't equate

mavicpilots.com/threads/dji-drone-explodes-at-330-ft-over-us-highway-debris-lands-on-highway-i-could-have-killed-several-people.82448
2020-2-20
Use props
Lamplighter55
lvl.4
Flight distance : 538596 ft
United Kingdom

Taking all the questions and responses into account there is no conclusive evidence to say exactly what happened at the point the data stops - apart from the fact that the drone fell directly down and shattered on the hard core of the road or parking area. The missing corner hex screws (diagonally on either side of the battery compartment) indicates the drone impacted the ground at the 45 degree angle and the impact/shock wave dislodged them plus the shear/shatter fractures on the outer shell and leg attachment points indicates an impact at speed. There is an alternative speculative scenario in that after the drone came down, it was run over by a passing car or truck - given that the damage is more than one might expect from a 100 metre tumble to the ground.
2020-2-20
Use props
BigBird-2
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 2-19 22:54
Nah, it wasn't power line.  First message in log explains it.
"GEO: You are in a Warning Zone (Airport). Fly with caution."

WOW, didn't know they had implemented that. Thanks for the vid.
2020-2-21
Use props
Matthew Dobrski
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1831050 ft
  • >>>
Canada

I'm a watchdog 24/7 on every drone related forum since 2015 ... This will be first reported DJI battery explosion mid air, if memory serves me well. Catastrophic failure? Yes, that happens. But explosion and absolute disappearance at molecular level without a trace or smoke smudge on battery compartment ... no. All I smell here is fish ...
2020-2-21
Use props
Picanoc Jack
Second Officer
Flight distance : 10318117 ft
Canada

Lamplighter55 Posted at 2-19 15:44
The missing evidence is the battery or whatever was left of it. There are indeed hints that the battery may have caught fire - looking at the first photo in your set. Looking at the data the variation in voltage balance between the subcells of the battery look like something was off - but without any photographic evidence of the main battery one can only speculate.

good point LL55
2020-2-22
Use props
akozc
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2019951 ft
Macao

statistically  the highest watch rate  and comment getting clickbait or real topics are
my drone fly away
my drone exploded
my drone fell down
my drone …..
my drone …..

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
2020-2-22
Use props
Lucas775
Second Officer
Flight distance : 50642090 ft
  • >>>
United States

Looks like someone took a shot of your drone.
2020-2-22
Use props
nullx8
lvl.3
Flight distance : 383635 ft
Thailand

[ Last edited by nullx8 In 2020-2-22 20:00 Editor ]\n\nlooks like full throttle into the powerlines, drone was in CourseLock, full-throttle Up for a few seconds
some corrections where made (probably because of the tree that is very close by)

at a 54 Meter height, the record stops, that's about the hight of the powerline. (judging with my eyes on the Google Streetview picture)
Screen Shot 2563-02-23 at 10.17.53.jpg
2020-2-22
Use props
nullx8
lvl.3
Thailand

-duplicated post sorry-
2020-2-22
Use props
AntDX316
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3394731 ft
  • >>>
United States

akozc Posted at 2-22 07:32
statistically  the highest watch rate  and comment getting clickbait or real topics are
my drone fly away
my drone exploded

yeah, not everyone has it so lucky with a reliable M2
2020-2-23
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

nullx8 Posted at 2-22 18:55
[ Last edited by nullx8 In 2020-2-22 20:00 Editor ]\n\nlooks like full throttle into the powerlines, drone was in CourseLock, full-throttle Up for a few seconds
some corrections where made (probably because of the tree that is very close by)

looks like full throttle into the powerlines
In that case you would expect to see some evidence of a collision in the flight data, but it just stops.

at a 54 Meter height, the record stops, that's about the hight of the powerline.

Check again .. it was 103 metres above the ground.
Those power poles don't look that high.
2020-2-23
Use props
nullx8
lvl.3
Thailand

Labroides Posted at 2-23 04:43
looks like full throttle into the powerlines
In that case you would expect to see some evidence of a collision in the flight data, but it just stops.

yeah guess you are right,

guess the CSV i just as Hollywood-ized as the initial Youtube Video ;)
since the photos just show a crashed drone, no fire evidence on the debris.

it's not like there was no time or whatever to make a proper picture with the element that caused the crash in focus, however, the photo with the battery visible, conveniently not showing the whole battery.

another thing is, i have seen pro's that crashed far higher on a solid rock after smashing in a cliff .. and they are not as damages as this one. this one looks almost like run over by a car or something.

2020-2-23
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

nullx8 Posted at 2-23 09:25
yeah guess you are right,

guess the CSV i just as Hollywood-ized as the initial Youtube Video ;)

it's not like there was no time or whatever to make a proper picture with the element that caused the crash in focus, however, the photo with the battery visible, conveniently not showing the whole batter
y.

There's no photo showing any of the battery.
The battery was not found.
2020-2-23
Use props
KenDuke
lvl.4
Flight distance : 50837 ft
United States

If it was flying close to an airport, couldn't the airport just turn on their jamming service to disable the drone, and it just crashed?  
2020-2-25
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

KenDuke Posted at 2-25 10:46
If it was flying close to an airport, couldn't the airport just turn on their jamming service to disable the drone, and it just crashed?

Airports don't have jamming devices.
Jamming devices don't cause drones to explode or crash.
Apart from that, it's an excellent suggestion.
2020-2-25
Use props
Oracle Miata
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3759829 ft
  • >>>
United States

Hmm, this looks like rubbish.
2020-2-25
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now