Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Suggestion: sky tracking mode for astrophotography
9551 17 2020-2-19
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Aberle
lvl.1
Flight distance : 509528 ft
France

Hello,
I would love to be able to have a sky-tracking mode on the DJI Osmo Mobile 3 in order to take beautiful sky photos. It isn't too hard to implement, either:
- The phone's GPS location can easily be harnessed to know the user's latitude and longitude and thereby compute the proper inclination of the gimbal required to align with the ecliptic plane.
- The phone's compass can be used to track the North and allow for full alignment. For refined alignment, a custom heading offset can easily be added by the user, akin to what the Night Sky app offers.
- The three-axis gimbal already allows for smooth tracking of objects, so having it follow a elliptical path portion at a set speed (360/86,164 deg/s) is already possible (software-enabled).

Long exposure isn't difficult to achieve, and BULB shooting would be ideal — perfect with a gimbal to stabilize the camera, too .

So all the hardware is present and this would make for an amazing selling point too, appealing to photographers as well as videomakers.

DJI, please make this happen!
2020-2-19
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Hi, thank you for reaching out. We really appreciate you for giving us this suggestion of yours. Rest assured that I will take this out and will forward this to our designated department for attention. Thank you for your continued support!
2020-2-19
Use props
djiuser_deltO5Ixokfj
New
United Kingdom

This would be a brilliant addition. Please implement it.

Cheers.
2020-12-7
Use props
A J
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

+1 suggestion
2020-12-7
Use props
Alex805
lvl.1
United States

This would be so great. +1
2021-1-7
Use props
djiuser_TXxLnuPl068D
lvl.1

United States

+1.
I'm considering buying a gimbal specifically for this.
2021-1-8
Use props
djiuser_PDdWqdAssQ4z
New

France

Yes please!
2021-2-10
Use props
DaveSp
lvl.4
Flight distance : 6562 ft
United States

djiuser_TXxLnuPl068D Posted at 1-8 14:22
+1.
I'm considering buying a gimbal specifically for this.

Yeah, I've been eyeing this for use with my DSLR and spotting scope -

Sky-Watcher Star Adventurer 2i Pro Pack
2021-2-10
Use props
AlanHd
Second Officer
Flight distance : 797365 ft
United Kingdom

While it would be nice I doubt the accuracy and stability of the motors are precise enough for Astro photography. If you want a relatively cheap star tracker have a look at the omegon LX2 or LX3, they are mechanical star trackers and allow up to 60minute exposures before having to be reset.
2021-2-10
Use props
djiuser_deltO5Ixokfj
New
United Kingdom

AlanHd Posted at 2-10 23:51
While it would be nice I doubt the accuracy and stability of the motors are precise enough for Astro photography. If you want a relatively cheap star tracker have a look at the omegon LX2 or LX3, they are mechanical star trackers and allow up to 60minute exposures before having to be reset.

They dint need to be that accurate with stacking software. As long as 'it' stayed in shot the stacking software would do the rest.
2021-2-15
Use props
AlanHd
Second Officer
Flight distance : 797365 ft
United Kingdom

djiuser_deltO5Ixokfj Posted at 2-15 14:45
They dint need to be that accurate with stacking software. As long as 'it' stayed in shot the stacking software would do the rest.

But each frame still has to be clean, any movement while taking each frame even a slight bit will streak the stars, that’s why when using my DSLR for Astro photography I have to use a remote shutter release and mirror pre lock up to remove any vibration.
2021-2-16
Use props
djiuser_TgU1aaZN55J1
New

Germany

Please add this feature! +1
2021-3-1
Use props
djiuser_D4gTThh6JznQ
New

Romania

Osmo would become Cosmo !
2021-3-3
Use props
djiuser_T5Wegm3UGfEK
New

United States

What is the status of this request?  Since the OM5 has now been released and the new build of the Mimo app along with it has this request been built into the Mimo app?  Did this request make it into the software roadmap?  If so where is sky tracking in the pipeline?  Just picked up my first gimbal (the OM5) and if it can do sky tracking it would be a GAME CHANGER for my astrophotography content creation.  
2021-10-4
Use props
djiuser_T5Wegm3UGfEK
New

United States

Reposting here in hopes admin will pick this inactive thread backup -  What is the status of this request?  Since the OM5 has now been released and the new build of the Mimo app along with it has this request been built into the Mimo app?  Did this request make it into the software roadmap?  If so where is sky tracking in the pipeline?  Just picked up my first gimbal (the OM5) and if it can do sky tracking it would be a GAME CHANGER for my astrophotography content creation.  
2021-10-4
Use props
djiuser_9GN63BAj7YDl
New
United States

I want to suggest some type of solor panel to help save the battery and make more flight time
2021-10-5
Use props
otsogme.com
lvl.1
Flight distance : 2759 ft
United States

Bump.

Now that Samsung has added astrophotography mode to the S23 Ultra, including a star map, linking to my Osmo Mobile would be wonderful.
2023-3-4
Use props
Psjak
New

Australia

I registered here, just to +1 this idea. Planning to use it as a tripod for astrophotography myself and would love to see a way to track the sky
2023-9-22
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules