694 12 2020-2-20
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
spanzetta
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1124738 ft
Italy

Hello

i wonder if it's normal that when the Mavic mini is kept in your hand (not horizontal) the display shows IMU error..

I guess it is but prefer to double check

thanks
2020-2-20
Use props
virtual
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4897142 ft
Czechia

Not sure if it's normal but it happened once to me as well. Calibration was not requested.
2020-2-20
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

IMU is always working to get your craft on a level plain, so if your forcing it off this plain it’s trying to resist , as soon as you start the motors it will try to correct its attitude, so yes it’s normal .
2020-2-20
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 12225059 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Hi spanzetta,

Do yo mean with rotors running or not?

What i always do, not scientific based, is to power ON the drone while keeping it still and level just above the takeoff spot at the ground. (not wel designed by DJI to have the on/off button not on top of the craft)
After powering up, wait few seconds to complete its initialisation of imu/sensors, and put my drone on the spot.

I see a difference in yaw values when switching it ON and move the drone around etc before place it on the spot.

If the rotors are turning and you move the craft out of its level plane, it will try to correct this ofcourse.
If done like this but with a IMU error..., well i never had an error in that situation. (but do not do this anymore)

cheers
JJB
2020-2-20
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

For sure, that's normal behavior.
2020-2-20
Use props
spanzetta
lvl.4
Italy

JJB* Posted at 2-20 03:25
Hi spanzetta,

Do yo mean with rotors running or not?

motors not running..
2020-2-20
Use props
Ice_2k
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1132575 ft
Romania

this is happening to me as well and I don't honestly understand it. The IMU should simply detect the acceleration on different axes and report it, I don't understand why this would cause an IMU sensor error.
2020-2-20
Use props
spanzetta
lvl.4
Italy

Ice_2k Posted at 2-20 05:45
this is happening to me as well and I don't honestly understand it. The IMU should simply detect the acceleration on different axes and report it, I don't understand why this would cause an IMU sensor error.

So it should not be normal?

2020-2-20
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

spanzetta Posted at 2-20 06:40

It is normal in all dji drones, there is nothing wrong with your IMU and once motors are running IMU will send messages to FC to do what’s necessary to maintain attitude of craft, you will also note that similar will be reported from compass when you turn craft on its side , but will correct itself when placed on the ground .
2020-2-20
Use props
spanzetta
lvl.4
Italy

hallmark007 Posted at 2-20 06:48
It is normal in all dji drones, there is nothing wrong with your IMU and once motors are running IMU will send messages to FC to do what’s necessary to maintain attitude of craft, you will also note that similar will be reported from compass when you turn craft on its side , but will correct itself when placed on the ground .

Interesting.. "normal in all DJI drones"... ;-)
Thanks a lot
2020-2-20
Use props
Ice_2k
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1132575 ft
Romania

spanzetta Posted at 2-20 06:40

i'm only guessing here, I think it's normal in the sense that I don't think there's anything wrong with the drone. Probably just the firmware in the flight controller seeing the incline of the aircraft not realizing the craft is not in flight and just thinking "well, this incline can't be right, it *must* be an IMU error". Car ECUs sometimes have these kind of errors, they're called "implausible signal" errors. They basically have no definite indication that there's something wrong with the sensors but the data is so extreme that they think it must be a sensor error.
2020-2-20
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Hi, thank you for reaching out and we do apologize for the inconvenience. As per Hallmark says on post #3, the IMU will send information to the application if the drone is not place on a level plain, if you receive this IMU error when the motors are turned on, that would be a problem, however, if you receive this kind of error and the drone is on your hand it would be basically normal. Try to place it on a level plain start up the motors and check whether you still receive the same problem. We also highly recommend calibrating your IMU for us to avoid any problem. Hope this helps. Thank you!
2020-2-20
Use props
virtual
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4897142 ft
Czechia

Another case for me. When I was powering on my Mini last time, red IMU message (error?) poped up on screen while I was putting Mini on the ground but disappeared immediately. Compass calibration was requested and done (I was over 100km from last position). Then I checked the app but IMU status was normal, compass heading correct, GPS signal strong, so I did 15min flight in windy conditions, no unusual behaviour.
To calibrate or not to calibrate IMU (before the next flight and without request from app), that's the question? I guess it is not necessary or is it better to calibrate...
2020-3-2
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules