Camera protection glass missing - How bad is this? What can I do?
12927 30 2020-2-25
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
wictor
lvl.2
Flight distance : 79436 ft

Germany

Hello DJI forum!
A few days ago, I was able to buy a Mavic Mini Fly More Combo on Amazon Warehouse Deals for a great price. The condition was listed as "acceptable", however, I thought that's not a big deal for a drone which I probably will crash anyway at some point.
Now, today the thing arrived. And it doesn't have a single scratch on it besides a broken propeller and... the protection glass on the camera was missing. I'm not talking about the gimbal protector but literally the small glass plate sitting on the camera itself. Here is a picture:

From what I can tell, the gimbal is perfectly fine and working as intended, it just needed recalibration. The camera is fine as well, nothing affecting the image quality at first glance. I will do further testing tomorrow.
So, how bad is this? Can I slap on a UV/ND filter (thinking about getting the Skyreat ones currently) on it and call it a day? Or can I ask DJI to send me the glass as a spare part? Are there any UV-protection coatings on that glass or is it just there to protect the lens from dust and debree? Is this a big deal or can I fly with an exposed lens without troubles?

TL;DR: I bought a Mavic Mini from Warehouse Deals for cheap and the camera lens protection glass was ripped off. Is this a big deal? Can I get around this by simply having a UV-filter on 100% of the time? Or can DJI support send me the spare part?
Thank you!

2020-2-25
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello and good day wictor. I am sorry to read and to know what happened to your DJI Mavic Mini's camera lens. I would highly recommend to contact our DJI support team at https://www.dji.com/support?site=brandsite&from=nav for us to be able to assist you further with regards to this issue.  We have the team who would do their best to fix the said issue and then the corresponding resolution would be provided. In addition, DJI do not recommend doing a DIY in fixing the said DJI drone to avoid further damaging the said unit and can void the warranty of the said drone. Again I am sorry for the trouble and thank for your support.
2020-2-25
Use props
wictor
lvl.2

Germany

Thank you, Stephen! I will reach out to the support tomorrow.
Of course I can return the drone and get my money back from Amazon, but as long as this issue isn't critical, I'd rather take the huge discount and use the drone with a CPL filter on 24/7. My only concern might be moisture since I don't know how tight those ND filters fit onto the camera.
2020-2-25
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

wictor Posted at 2-25 14:13
Thank you, Stephen! I will reach out to the support tomorrow.
Of course I can return the drone and get my money back from Amazon, but as long as this issue isn't critical, I'd rather take the huge discount and use the drone with a CPL filter on 24/7. My only concern might be moisture since I don't know how tight those ND filters fit onto the camera.

You are very much welcome wictor and thank you for these additional information. If you have any other concerns or inquiries with your DJI Mavic Mini or with DJI. Please feel free to post it here at DJI Forum. We are here to help and support you.
2020-2-25
Use props
lannes
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4465 ft
  • >>>
Australia

I'd test the drone thoroughly, the missing glass suggests a heavy frontal impact enough to crack the glass requiring it's removal. Strong frontal impacts of the gimbal sometimes tear the camera ribbon cable which fails later
2020-2-25
Use props
Woe
Captain
Flight distance : 4129268 ft
  • >>>
United States

I would send it back and just purchase a new one. Why go through
all the headaches.
2020-2-25
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

Normally the glass on the front of the camera is at the least a UV filter, and you would be advised to replace or repair it. It is there for good reason.
2020-2-25
Use props
InspektorGadjet
lvl.4
Flight distance : 439915 ft
Spain

It seems somebody bought the mini, crashed it and returned it...
That glass and broken propeller indicates that... The problem of not having the glass is that dirt will get there and if condensation occurs, moisture will get there and damage the camera eventually.
2020-2-26
Use props
wictor
lvl.2

Germany

InspektorGadjet Posted at 2-26 01:44
It seems somebody bought the mini, crashed it and returned it...
That glass and broken propeller indicates that... The problem of not having the glass is that dirt will get there and if condensation occurs, moisture will get there and damage the camera eventually.

Thanks for the responses everyone!

@InspektorGadget:
I'm aware of that, however for that reason I got 125€ off the purchase and I'm trying to to evaluate whether the damage outweighs the discount or not.
2020-2-26
Use props
InspektorGadjet
lvl.4
Spain

wictor Posted at 2-26 01:48
Thanks for the responses everyone!

@InspektorGadget:

I see. Somewhere I saw replacement glass for the camera, that may help...
Only using the ND, UV or Polarized filter wont seal 100% the camera and you will still have the issues.
2020-2-26
Use props
wictor
lvl.2

Germany

InspektorGadjet Posted at 2-26 02:26
I see. Somewhere I saw replacement glass for the camera, that may help...
Only using the ND, UV or Polarized filter wont seal 100% the camera and you will still have the issues.

Any idea where you saw that replacement glass? I could only find full camera+gimbal modules for sale so far.

I just chatted with the Amazon customer service and now I'm definitely keeping the drone as it is. The offered me another 96€ discount on top of the 125€ I already got, so it would be dumb not to accept that. The drone is fully functional and even IF something happens to the camera module over time, I could easily pay the repair with the ~220€ I saved on that.

Until then, I'll try to get a replacement glass myself or maybe even additionally buy a broken Mavic Mini on ebay for like 100€ as a graveyard for spare parts.
2020-2-26
Use props
InspektorGadjet
lvl.4
Spain

wictor Posted at 2-26 02:32
Any idea where you saw that replacement glass? I could only find full camera+gimbal modules for sale so far.

I just chatted with the Amazon customer service and now I'm definitely keeping the drone as it is. The offered me another 96€ discount on top of the 125€ I already got, so it would be dumb not to accept that. The drone is fully functional and even IF something happens to the camera module over time, I could easily pay the repair with the ~220€ I saved on that.

Its a bargain for sure keep it
I thought I found thicker ones but even this could help:

https://www.aliexpress.com/i/4000378418340.html

https://www.banggood.com/2-Sets- ... ml?cur_warehouse=CN
2020-2-26
Use props
wictor
lvl.2

Germany

InspektorGadjet Posted at 2-26 13:51
Its a bargain for sure keep it
I thought I found thicker ones but even this could help:

That’s worth a try! I’m a bit concerned about image distortion because those protectors aren’t very rigid, but heck it’s 3 bucks, so I’ll try that. Thank you again!
2020-2-26
Use props
mrveronn
lvl.4
Flight distance : 16093 ft
Canada

wictor Posted at 2-26 14:07
That’s worth a try! I’m a bit concerned about image distortion because those protectors aren’t very rigid, but heck it’s 3 bucks, so I’ll try that. Thank you again!

I think you should follow up with DJI...and see if they can provide a new 'glass' for your gimbal.

The scratch protectors from Amazon/alibaba might do the trick, but would be best to have OEM glass replacement.  

Now if DJI tries to sell you a whole new gimbal + camera, then that would be another story.

And putting a UV filter from PGYTech or another vendor seems like a decent solution also...plenty of folks using filters from Freewell/PGYTech with no issues.
2020-2-26
Use props
wictor
lvl.2

Germany

mrveronn Posted at 2-26 15:54
I think you should follow up with DJI...and see if they can provide a new 'glass' for your gimbal.

The scratch protectors from Amazon/alibaba might do the trick, but would be best to have OEM glass replacement.  

I chatted with DJI support and asked for replacement. I was told that they don’t ship replacement parts separately and that I have to send my drone in for repair. Camera module repairs cost around 120€ and even when I decide against a repair, I’d have to pay 50€ for their check.

Maybe @DJI Stephen can help here?
2020-2-26
Use props
Lipscombe
lvl.3
Flight distance : 507854 ft

Canada

Send it back. By the time you repair everything, you will have a used drone for the price of a new one.
2020-2-26
Use props
InspektorGadjet
lvl.4
Spain

wictor Posted at 2-26 14:07

You are very welcome, I thought so too, for the price and piece of mind it may be worth it.
2020-2-27
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Try dji first, don’t send in , if they can send you one great, otherwise ND will be fine.
2020-2-27
Use props
wictor
lvl.2

Germany

hallmark007 Posted at 2-27 06:51
Try dji first, don’t send in , if they can send you one great, otherwise ND will be fine.

I tried contacting them via E-mail again and was told that  they don’t have a solution for me as long as I don’t want to send the drone in which results in paying at least 50€ + shipping. I think I’ll stick to the ND filter then and maybe try to put one of those tempered glass protectors underneath it.

Unless DJI Stephen can help me finding a solution through DJI support, I’m done trying.
2020-2-29
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

wictor Posted at 2-29 04:30
I tried contacting them via E-mail again and was told that  they don’t have a solution for me as long as I don’t want to send the drone in which results in paying at least 50€ + shipping. I think I’ll stick to the ND filter then and maybe try to put one of those tempered glass protectors underneath it.

Unless DJI Stephen can help me finding a solution through DJI support, I’m done trying.

Your right, I broke my Osmo Pocket one sent it in €70 crazy price.

Good luck .
2020-2-29
Use props
m80116
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3264131 ft
Italy

I'm telling you what I'd do If I were you.

Buy some glass camera lens protector https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000416174285.html
I could be buying 2 and mask-painting one as the original.

Then go for a full set of ND or ND-PL filters
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000418478106.html
Of course one could just get an UV (neutral) filter... but NDs are useful. The advert claims they can stay on whith gimbal protector, I am not sure is a good idea (if additional stress on the gimbal can have an adverse effect on the rubber mounts).
2020-2-29
Use props
wictor
lvl.2

Germany

m80116 Posted at 2-29 05:24
I'm telling you what I'd do If I were you.

Buy some glass camera lens protector https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000416174285.html

Exactly what I did. My ND filters already arrived and yes they fit inside the gimbal protector. There is no contact between the filters and gimbal protector, so that's not an issue. The glass protectors are already ordered and on the way.
I still hoped for an official solution from DJI, but I think this is a decent workaround. Thanks everyone!
2020-2-29
Use props
DejanK87
New

Serbia

Hi guys, I'm in the same situation here - my lens glass protector was broken when I crashed the drone (repaired it successfully), and now the replacement ones from AliExpress have arrived. (ND filters are on the way, yet to arrive)

But, I don't know how to stick one on my lens without making a mess - just putting it on is not a viable option.

Any suggestions?
2020-8-4
Use props
itchyeyeballs
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Did you save much on the normal price? If not send it back its not worth the hassle.

If you go down the same route in future I recommend getting care refresh before you take it out of the box ;)
2020-8-4
Use props
wictor
lvl.2

Germany

itchyeyeballs Posted at 8-4 06:16
Did you save much on the normal price? If not send it back its not worth the hassle.

If you go down the same route in future I recommend getting care refresh before you take it out of the box ;)

Yes I actually saved a lot. Around 40% off the regular price.
2020-8-4
Use props
wictor
lvl.2

Germany

DejanK87 Posted at 8-4 03:51
Hi guys, I'm in the same situation here - my lens glass protector was broken when I crashed the drone (repaired it successfully), and now the replacement ones from AliExpress have arrived. (ND filters are on the way, yet to arrive)

But, I don't know how to stick one on my lens without making a mess - just putting it on is not a viable option.

Did you manage to get those exact glass protectors that DJI uses? Or did you get those stickers which are meant to put on the lens.

I ended up just using the ND filter and had no issues with that at all.
2020-8-4
Use props
itchyeyeballs
lvl.4
United Kingdom

wictor Posted at 8-4 06:19
Yes I actually saved a lot. Around 40% off the regular price.

I should have read the thread more closely you covered that doh!

maybe keep an eye on eBay to see if you can find anyone selling a crashed mini for spare parts.
2020-8-4
Use props
wictor
lvl.2

Germany

itchyeyeballs Posted at 8-4 06:25
I should have read the thread more closely you covered that doh!

maybe keep an eye on eBay to see if you can find anyone selling a crashed mini for spare parts.

I actually did exactly that I had 5 Minis at some point. Repaired 3 of them so far and sold them on ebay. However my own Mini still flies without the lens cover. It's just not a big issue, especially when covered by the ND filter.
2020-8-4
Use props
djiuser_rohwP2Fn4F4Y
New

Argentina

Hi I’m sorry to hear that. The same happens to me some days before. The problem is that I live in Argentina and no one can fix it neither replace the drone. I could find the replacement but the owner doesn’t answer if I can change it by myself do to I told you NO ONE IS ABLE TO CHANGE IT. So please I need an answer asap. Thank you anyway
2021-11-30
Use props
djiuser_rohwP2Fn4F4Y
New

Argentina

Hi I'm sorry to hear that. The same happens to me some days before. The problem is that I live in Argentina and no one can fix it neither replace the drone. I could find the replacement but the owner doesn't answer if I can change it by myself due to I told you NO ONE IS ABLE TO CHANGE IT. So please I need an answer
asap. Thank you anyway
2021-11-30
Use props
Guorium
lvl.4
Flight distance : 513061 ft
Australia

wictor Posted at 2020-8-4 06:30
I actually did exactly that  I had 5 Minis at some point. Repaired 3 of them so far and sold them on ebay. However my own Mini still flies without the lens cover. It's just not a big issue, especially when covered by the ND filter.

It is just there to stop dust and moisture. and it is easier to clean than the bulging lens. Your camera may see some UV  causing a blueish hue when the sun is bright but that can be adjusted in post i guess. If you like to you can buy those tempered glass protectors made for mini and glue it to the frame of the camera. This is as good as this repair can get without DJI sending your spare part. And look buddy DJI will never send out spare. They are more like apple of drone world. You break you buy new, repair is made deliberately painful nowadays to ensure their revenue under the disguise of "safety".
2021-11-30
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules