DJI Audio Adapter FAULTY... cheaper ALTERNATIVE WORKS!
2471 18 2020-2-25
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
AndyEditor76
lvl.2
Flight distance : 19265 ft
United Kingdom

Hi all,

Just sharing my experience with the Cynova Audio adapter.  I bought one a month ago to test it out.  I paid £39 on DJI website and it arrived.  I plugged it in, and having watched many reviews, I expected to hear a click as I plugged it in.  Nothing.  I plugged a mic in and nothing.  No mic icon on the OSMO action screen.  I pushed harder and the icon flickered on and off.  This was out of the frame.  After a few minutes of pushing, flickering and failing, I decided to remove the rubber foot on the connector.  Without it, it gave a connection and with a Rode Video Micro and other mics I tested.  The adapter still did not CLICK in.  It was floppy and gave an intermittant signal due to the USB socket wiggle (NO CLICK!)

To cut a long story short, I decided to buy the NEW smallrig cage that is designed to fit with the adapter.  I also purchased another (CHEAPER) adapter on an online retailer (AMAZON).  It was £10 cheaper.  

The new parts all arrived today and I plugged the new adapter in.  CLICK!  It worked first time.  SO!  The DJI bought adapter was faulty, loose fitting and flaky.

The NEW cheaper and utterly identical adapter bought on Amazon worked PERFECTLY with the rubber foot still on... straight out of the box.  

When combined with the SmallRig cage, it does offer the solution I was after, just took a long and expensive route to get there!

HERE'S THE VIDEO!

Andy.

2020-2-25
Use props
Visual Air
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 2710115 ft
  • >>>
Canada

Its weird mine works flawlessly. Must have been produced on a Wednesday
2020-2-25
Use props
ebswift
lvl.4
Flight distance : 10299 ft
Australia

Mine fits nicely too.  I love the (new) smallrig cage, looks cool and is very thoughtfully designed.
2020-2-25
Use props
AlanHd
Second Officer
Flight distance : 797365 ft
United Kingdom

Daft question, why didn’t you just return the original and get a replacement.
2020-2-25
Use props
Fishycomics
Second Officer
United States

CYNOVA makes it for DJI, and you can  contact Bella, for a new one, they may simply take your  word and that is it.  Their Email address or contact will be by their product

bella@rcytf.com  DJI Wanda was on top of these.

You can shop around and find them as low as$11.99, today now $15.00

https://www.banggood.com/CYNOVA- ... ml?cur_warehouse=CN

Are they the same. no one knows.  As the Fix was to remove the adhesive insulation, passed along to Resellers, so you may not get a refund or exchange from certain individuals.  The only downside for me was a Beep within the video at say 5 seconds, this has stopped, and  occasionally will come on.  every so often.   I have my replacement I have yet to open and use it as I am not wit that one.  Please do share your experience with all, interesting to see.  One last note.

DJI Osmo Action Camera is not a True Stereo camera, with the CYNOVA adapter  you will see a Mono mic will be on Both channels when used. that said. $40.00 for mono sound is quite expensive if asked.

FISH
2020-2-26
Use props
AndyEditor76
lvl.2
United Kingdom

AlanHd Posted at 2-25 22:53
Daft question, why didn’t you just return the original and get a replacement.

Well, here's the video - this should explain it!
2020-2-28
Use props
AndyEditor76
lvl.2
United Kingdom

2020-2-28
Use props
Fishycomics
Second Officer
United States

Adapter was made , and the acessories  of others,  they did not take into account the interface. so careful   of who to purchase cases from before hte adapter was made.

looking over, correct, hit the submit     
2020-2-29
Use props
DeeJayOne
lvl.3
United Kingdom

That is a GREAT video Andy!

An utter revelation for me... I've been having the very same issue with my CYNOVA adaptor (in fact I emailed the support email address for this product the other day, but haven't heard anything back yet).

Mine is floppy, not connecting properly, the mic symbol flickers on and off, the sound from the mic flickers on and off, it literally DROPS OUT of the camera during use and most importantly from what I can tell on your video IT DOES NOT CLICK IN!

Hopefully I'll hear back soon with a solution as I really don't want to have to be buying again.

Question - I see you started the video with the PGYTECH case (I have this too) - how does the new one fit with that case?

Also, I have the video micro that I use with the PGYTECH case and can avoid it dropping into shot by connecting it to the top of the case using the small extender piece that came with the case - it is a cold shoe connection so may also fit your smallrig just to add a little height to the avoid the mic in shot rather than have a large extension piece mounted on the side (I like my setup as compact as possible)?

Thanks again for the video!
2020-2-29
Use props
AndyEditor76
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Hey!  Glad to hear that my little video was useful.  I had a feeling that I couldn't be the only one who fell foul of shoddy manufacturing!

The shoe adapter that came with the PGYTECH cage does not fit into the smallrig cage...  but thanks for the suggestion.  I'm pretty happy with the setup now.  Let me know how you get on with support from DJI.  

I'm hoping that the OSMO action 2 has a big update to help get audio in.  If only Action Cam manufacturers would team up with Rode.  Imagine if it had a Rode Go ability built in.  That would be so good.

Anyway, happy filming and thanks for your comment.
2020-3-1
Use props
AndyEditor76
lvl.2
United Kingdom

DeeJayOne Posted at 2-29 21:21
That is a GREAT video Andy!

An utter revelation for me... I've been having the very same issue with my CYNOVA adaptor (in fact I emailed the support email address for this product the other day, but haven't heard anything back yet).

and yes, the adapter does fit with the other cage.  
2020-3-1
Use props
AndyEditor76
lvl.2
United Kingdom

DELETED! DELETED! DELETED!
2020-3-1
Use props
Fishycomics
Second Officer
United States

We're more interested in a BLTE wireless  mic, and it can be from Rode to. Lol   yet one has made that  grab a wireless mic.    and its  connected done.
2020-3-1
Use props
DeeJayOne
lvl.3
United Kingdom

AndyEditor76 Posted at 3-1 15:30
Hey!  Glad to hear that my little video was useful.  I had a feeling that I couldn't be the only one who fell foul of shoddy manufacturing!

The shoe adapter that came with the PGYTECH cage does not fit into the smallrig cage...  but thanks for the suggestion.  I'm pretty happy with the setup now.  Let me know how you get on with support from DJI.  

Rode Wireless Go built-in would be a utopian dream for me!

Not heard back from the support email address at all - for anyone else who has received support on the CYNOVA adaptor: did you get radio silence for a while or were they quite responsive?
2020-3-3
Use props
Fishycomics
Second Officer
United States

Keep on the Email, send another  reminding them,  thye may slack off, and forget, when I reminded them hte last email was give me the addy and  withing a few days at my door step.
2020-3-3
Use props
BoozaWooza
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Nice vid mate.
I'd be interested to hear from your experience how the Cynova slots into the Smallrig compared to the standard Osmo Action cage.
Does the Smallrig hold it much tighter?
2020-3-3
Use props
DeeJayOne
lvl.3
United Kingdom

Fishycomics Posted at 3-3 11:47
Keep on the Email, send another  reminding them,  thye may slack off, and forget, when I reminded them hte last email was give me the addy and  withing a few days at my door step.

Thanks. Still not heard anything back, so emailed again to see if I can get a response.

I have a filming project coming up really soon so could do with getting it resolved ASAP!

2020-3-5
Use props
DeeJayOne
lvl.3
United Kingdom

I did finally get a reply from the Bella email address... which told me to go back to DJI for a refund and repurchase!

So, I tried that and guess what? DJI are telling me to go to Bella because they don't support this product.

I'm still in a loop on this one and responses are taking a long time with no resolution in sight. Thankfully my filming project has been delayed for obvious reasons right now so I'm not in a massive rush to get it any more, but this lack of support is very disappointing.

2020-4-9
Use props
Fishycomics
Second Officer
United States

DeeJayOne Posted at 4-9 04:13
I did finally get a reply from the Bella email address... which told me to go back to DJI for a refund and repurchase!

So, I tried that and guess what? DJI are telling me to go to Bella because they don't support this product.

Totally Hear you.  Bella is a 3rd party, DJI should stand behind them.  Since the OA is a Mono Audio.  I guess  Repurchasing and returning is not the way I go.  I again  contact them. and Do not let  a week go by.  Thanks for the report. Funny how  We can talk within minutes and Bella many days  apart that to me is not Business.
2020-4-9
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules