What is your favorite feature of the Mini?
1584 19 2020-2-26
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
KlooGee
Second Officer
Flight distance : 16783757 ft
  • >>>
United States

Even though the Mavic Mini isn't the best drone I own, I still find myself flying it as much or more than any of the other drones that I own.

For all of my other drones, the batteries automatically start discharging after a period of several days.  So in order to get out and go fly them, I usually first have to charge them back up before I can get them up in the air.

However, the Mavic Mini is different.  Because it uses Lithium Ion batteries instead of LiPo, the batteries are not set to automatically discharge.  So even if I haven't had the opportunity to fly it after a period of a week, 10 days, 2 weeks or longer, the battery is still very near to 100% and can be flown straight away without any advance planning.

It is because of this "feature" that I find myself flying my Mini as much as all of my other drones, even though its not my favorite.

I discuss this in the video below and also talk about the main reason why I don't fly the Mini even more.

2020-2-26
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

It may not be considered a "feature" but I bought the MM because of it's portability.  
2020-2-26
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Yeah it’s going to follow “what’s the best Camera” the one you have with you, this is what’s the best drone.

I still have spark phantom 4 and Mavic orignal and this Mini’s camera matches up to these cameras, insuring when you do get it up and flying, footage/photos are really very acceptable.

Good job....
2020-2-26
Use props
KlooGee
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

DowntownRDB Posted at 2-26 06:28
It may not be considered a "feature" but I bought the MM because of it's portability.

Its definitely a feature.  It is the main feature DJI has been marketing with it.  Because of the small size and weight, it is just so easy to always have with you.  
2020-2-26
Use props
KlooGee
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2-26 07:05
Yeah it’s going to follow “what’s the best Camera” the one you have with you, this is what’s the best drone.

I still have spark phantom 4 and Mavic orignal and this Mini’s camera matches up to these cameras, insuring when you do get it up and flying, footage/photos are really very acceptable.

Yep, it is just so easy to always have with you with it being so small and knowing it is always charged and ready to go.  And it really can take some great images and footage.  I was really happy with that sunset footage at the very beginning of the video.  I wasn't sure it was going to turn out so well, but I was pleasantly surprised.
2020-2-26
Use props
Suren
Captain
Flight distance : 13425892 ft
  • >>>
New Zealand

I just like the size and portability of it, keep it in my van all the time for those unexpected moments, and it also feels less threatening to people around you.
2020-2-26
Use props
KlooGee
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Suren Posted at 2-26 23:19
I just like the size and portability of it, keep it in my van all the time for those unexpected moments, and it also feels less threatening to people around you.

Yep, I agree about the size and portability.  I also keep mine in my car pretty much all of the time.  But if the battery doesn't stay charged, its not going to be ready to fly in those unexpected moments.  
2020-2-27
Use props
Cal Evans
lvl.4
Flight distance : 85673 ft
United States

Had never thought of that. Thanks for making the video.
2020-2-27
Use props
Ingo Sundowner
lvl.4
Flight distance : 914012 ft
United Kingdom

It flies
And it does what it says on the tin
2020-2-27
Use props
ABeardedItalian
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1063107 ft
United States

Dji actually reached out to me about this very question but unfortunately I never heard back.

I've wanted to make a thread about this but never got around to it, the Camera on the mini is just Amazing.

My first camera drone experience was strapping my Original YI w/ modded firmware to the underside of my P3 clone (cx-20 opensource) and man did I catch the bug, flying blind wasn't good enough so I rigged it with full FPV and using the YI as the recording/fpv camera, I was doing things cheaply back then and didn't know about the digital transmitters for hd video but I was happy with what I had. Being able to fly around with the goggles was amazing but man was range ever limited. I bought the gimbal but had stopped flying and never fully rigged it up, it was always a project and a hassle to bring out to fly. When I was in the market for the mini I was looking at fixing up my drone and renewing my license. To get 4k I would need a new fopro but the Chinese action camera's just haven't caught up to what gopro and dji have done in terms for quality (Some have but don't have video out). If I wanted Clear HD video with good color science I was looking at spending 300+ on just a gopro let alone that in 2020 it's required that all new drones have Aircraft Avoidance modulus and adding that to my drone was another 200 bucks.

Instead of spending 500 bucks to update the video and legal requirements to fly my cinder block of a drone around I got a Mavic Mini. The video alone is on par with last generations go pro's that cost 300+ for just a camera and were also getting a drone for our money. I like that it's so small and discreet, they nailed the marketing on being able to keep this in the camera bag. I take this with me whenever I go out because it is so portable. Sure I would love some more features but I'm happy as an early adopter and my first DJI product, when the SDK comes out everything DJI hasn't added will be taken care of 3rd party so it's just a matter of time. Sure the hubsan zino and others are cool options but the cameras don't even come close and for me the camera was the biggest decision overall. I was scared with it being Wifi that I would have range issues, my only experience in wifi has been how crumby routers are and the limited range of 5ghz. I'm just blown away that this is using Wifi and it works so damn well.
2020-2-27
Use props
JM.REYES
lvl.4
Flight distance : 84423 ft
Spain

Hi everyone. Without a doubt, for me the best thing is its weight and the battery life.
2020-2-27
Use props
Occams Razor
lvl.4
Flight distance : 423497 ft
United States

The main reason I purchased was for size/weight.  It's the old adage - the best drone is the one that you have with you.
2020-2-27
Use props
djiuser_MZawk0D8NVT5
lvl.1
Finland

TWO things are MUST.

ONE. Ability to shoot RAW images is a MUST. Otherwise mavic mini is just a video type drone only, very limited. This would definitely sell more drones. Many people are disappointed after purchase. (post editing with lightroom mobile gives easy great results with raw).

TWO. Locking WHITE BALANCE is a MUST (photo/video). Mavic mini is in trouble with white snow scenes. Snow colours change so much between shots!

No need for 4k imo.  2.7k video is enough. Saves storage space and editing power and time). Mavic mini video looks very good most of the time.

Size and portability are great.  And flight time is also great and possibility to charge batteries straight from the battery banks without big bulky chargers!! (great for longer wilderness hikes).

I would like to have even more slower control option than cinematic to choose (cinematic+).

Too bad that no RAW and no WB lock, limits the use of this drone too much.  DJI, FIX these limits with easy, ASAP update.
2020-2-27
Use props
KlooGee
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

djiuser_MZawk0D8NVT5 Posted at 2-27 12:06
TWO things are MUST.

ONE. Ability to shoot RAW images is a MUST. Otherwise mavic mini is just a video type drone only, very limited. This would definitely sell more drones. Many people are disappointed after purchase. (post editing with lightroom mobile gives easy great results with raw).

We've not had much snow this year, so I've not had the experience with the extreme white balance like you are talking about.  Even without that, i also agree that this is a problem they need to fix ASAP along with manual control for shutter speed and ISO.

Initially I wasn't too bothered by the lack of RAW photos, but I've come to believe that is quite honestly the single biggest missing feature for me and unfortunately the least likely feature for DJI to add in a firmware update.  For the most part, I can work around most of the rest of the missing capabilities in the Mini, but you just can't get around not having the RAW files.  
2020-2-27
Use props
Bassboat
lvl.1

Canada

djiuser_MZawk0D8NVT5 Posted at 2-27 12:06
TWO things are MUST.

ONE. Ability to shoot RAW images is a MUST. Otherwise mavic mini is just a video type drone only, very limited. This would definitely sell more drones. Many people are disappointed after purchase. (post editing with lightroom mobile gives easy great results with raw).

I think you misread the title, there is another thread that this comment would be perfect for and you ,any find interesting.

See thread : “ Features of the Mavic Mini You want”

Just trying to help.
2020-2-27
Use props
GaryDoug
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1264639 ft
  • >>>
United States

PRICE...period
2020-2-27
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Weight and price!
2020-2-28
Use props
Richard Hopkins
lvl.4
Flight distance : 923406 ft
United States

Hello everybody, for Me it was the one I could Afford, I’m’ retiring this September so I got to watch my budget. Thanks for posting this!
2020-2-28
Use props
Mizzu
lvl.4
Flight distance : 431873 ft
Germany

Weight/Size for me (combined with the Video quality).
Would neither have bought it when it was bigger nor when the camera was less good.
2020-2-28
Use props
Akirasho
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1622238 ft
United States

can be used as a bidet accessory in a pinch (maybe "pinch" is the wrong word)  
2020-2-28
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules