Is the M2P still worth getting in 2020?
856 6 2020-2-26
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Ice_2k
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1132575 ft
Romania

So basically the title says it all. I'm considering moving up to a more capable drone and I'm wondering if it's still worth getting the M2P or if it would be better to just wait for the Mavic 3 or whatever it's gonna be called.

One thing that's really keeping me from getting the M2P right now is its weight. At 907gr it's just over the 900gr limit in the new CE regulations, moving it to a higher category which will be more difficult to comply with. Of course, there's no guarantee the M3P (let's call it that for now) won't have the same issue but one might think that DJI is paying attention to these regulations and won't launch a new drone that would cross into a higher regulatory category by just a few grams.

Any input is appreciated.
2020-2-26
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Hi, thank you for reaching out. Hope that you could get the best recommendation from our fellow DJI Pilots here in Forum. Thank you for your support!
2020-2-26
Use props
Suren
Captain
Flight distance : 13425892 ft
  • >>>
New Zealand

Not sure if there is going to be a Mavic 3 this year. the Mavic 2 is an amazing drone and though there have been some other good drones out like the Autel 2 with 40 minutes flight time and the Skydio I still prefer the Dji drones, well that's my preference
2020-2-26
Use props
*DM*
lvl.4
Flight distance : 507087 ft
United Kingdom

Worth it?

Depends what you want to do. For pro/semi pro photo/videography ... yes but there is a learning curve. Results out of drone are decent but you really need to put some post production work into it to fully benefit and that usually involves software learning (and purchasing) if you dont have that already.

If you are 'just' doing some holiday and the odd youtube filming and can accept a few limitations a Mini/Spark or older Mavic will do the job just fine, in some ways perhaps better.
2020-2-27
Use props
Ice_2k
lvl.4
Romania

Hi, thanks for the feedback. Yes, I'm aware there's a learning curve but I like learning new stuff so that's not a con. I am already using Premiere to edit my Mavic Mini footage so that's not a problem. As for the usage, I am just doing holiday family videos and other stuff for personal use but I would like to be able to get better footage in certain situations (low light, sunsets/sunrises) and would also love some of the extra features, like the hyperlapse, active track, faster speed (I have some ideas about a car video but the lack of AT and the relatively low top-speed of the Mini makes that very difficult).

So, to wrap it up, I'm not asking if it's worth spending almost 2k to get a M2P over my Mavic Mini, that's a personal opinion for everyone I would say based on usage, income and so on. My main question is whether it's worth getting the M2P or maybe it's wiser to just way for the newer model. I know that not knowing when the new model is going to come, what features it will bring and so on makes my question pretty hard to answer but hey... i'm asking it anyway )) Basically I would hate to get a M2P and then 1 month later hear the news that the M3P was just released at the same price with 4k60, mechanical shutter, rain-flying capabilities and a sub-900g weight ))
2020-2-27
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

If you wait for the next great thing to come out, you’ll never have a drone, M2P or Zoom are the best in their class now, so if you purchase now you’ll have the best. If 3 comes along and I think it will be months away not weeks you can always sell your 2, yes you might lose a few quid but measure it against the pleasure you will get now and it’s a small price to pay.
I remember when 2 was released many come on and say it doesn’t have this it doesn’t have that , I’ll wait for next one, well you will see the same people say the same thing about the next drone .
2020-2-27
Use props
Ice_2k
lvl.4
Romania

fair point
2020-2-27
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules