Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Mavic Mini: IS NOW THE TIME FOR ME TO BUY?
3303 31 2020-2-27
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Bassboat
lvl.1

Canada

Help please?
I am on the fence on whether to buy the Mini now or wait?
Why wait:
1) Lower price?
My Bday is coming up (March) and I heard the DJI sends a coupon? Though I just read it will probably not apply to the mini?
Fathers Day: I know that historically DJI does a Fathers Day special, what are the odds that the Mini will be part of that?

2) I am in Canada and it's winter? Some say, buy a drone when you're going to fly it? But I see lots of folks flying Mini's in 0 Celsius, and I can play indoors lol, should I wait till May?

3) I have read lots of threads about props hitting, mini falling out of the sky, landing in water etc, are these a few exceptions or should I be concerned?

4) lots of folks asking for Follow Me and Active track, RAW, etc... and DJI saying that Mini will not get it (based on threads,).... "DJI feel free to jump in" Or will there be some exciting new firmware coming? I really want Follow Me! (Where the drone follows the remote!)

5)New version coming?  if you look at the Mavic pro, they launched Pro Platinum 12 months later, is a Mini 2 or Platinum coming in October 2020? With all the features we want!

Help please! Would love to hear if you agree I should wait, or jump in (and when)

Any good advice or feedback welcome!

2020-2-27
Use props
maticture
lvl.2
Flight distance : 810446 ft
Ecuador

Mavic mini is an amazing drone, I think you should wait until a discount comes!!!
2020-2-27
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

3) I have read lots of threads about props hitting, mini falling out of the sky, landing in water etc, are these a few exceptions or should I be concerned?
There have been way too many uncommanded descent incidents involving the Mini.
Not just a few exceptions.
The Mini is not coming up the the usual DJI reliability standard.

4) lots of folks asking for Follow Me and Active track, RAW, etc... and DJI saying that Mini will not get it (based on threads,).... "DJI feel free to jump in" Or will there be some exciting new firmware coming? I really want Follow Me! (Where the drone follows the remote!)
The Mini is a small, slow, cheap drone for users that want a small, slow, cheap drone.
It's quite unrealistic to expect that a small, cheap, slow drone,designed to save weight and dollars is going to be converted into a more capable drone.
If you want the more capable drone, that's what you should consider buying.

5)New version coming?  if you look at the Mavic pro, they launched Pro Platinum 12 months later, is a Mini 2 or Platinum coming in October 2020? With all the features we want!
This thinking never makes sense.
There's always a new drone (maybe) coming, but DJI's releases have slowed down in the last couple of years.

DJI is going to be making a really great drone in 2025.  Why not wait for that?
The only question you need to consider is: Does this drone do what I want or need?

2020-2-27
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Hi. Thank you for reaching out to DJI Forum. I hope that our valued DJI co pilots can provide you the best information for this inquiry. First flying the drone below the recommended operating temperature may affect the performance of the said drone during flight. Second please visit our DJI Safety Guideline and read through the pre flight checklist for safe flight. Lastly regarding the discount and future DJI products. We don't have any information about the release dates, models and features as of the moment. Kindly visit or official DJI website for news and update.  Thank you for your valued support.
2020-2-27
Use props
Lucas775
Second Officer
Flight distance : 50642090 ft
  • >>>
United States

Buy whenever you want, it's your money.
2020-2-27
Use props
Oracle Miata
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3759829 ft
  • >>>
United States

Fly today, die tomorrow.
2020-2-27
Use props
GaryDoug
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1264639 ft
  • >>>
United States

400 bucks is not that much, so go for it. I even bought my 2nd one for $300 on eBay and it is like new in every way. Flying inside would not be a good idea unless the area is large and very well lit. But you may have some problems getting a Mini right now with the virus concern.
2020-2-27
Use props
Bassboat
lvl.1

Canada

GaryDoug Posted at 2-27 20:35
400 bucks is not that much, so go for it. I even bought my 2nd one for $300 on eBay and it is like new in every way. Flying inside would not be a good idea unless the area is large and very well lit. But you may have some problems getting a Mini right now with the virus concern.

Thanks for the feedback, just wondering why indoor is not recommended?  I thought that was a key benefit of this drone? It’s small, has a prop cage, etc...

Also DJI store says they ship within a few days and does not mention any delays? I see they have limited buys to 1 drone, but no mention of delays? I wonder where I can look to be able to find out how long shipments take? Odd that DJI does not put on the site ETA for each drone?
2020-2-28
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Bassboat Posted at 2-28 04:49
Thanks for the feedback, just wondering why indoor is not recommended?  I thought that was a key benefit of this drone? It’s small, has a prop cage, etc...

Also DJI store says they ship within a few days and does not mention any delays? I see they have limited buys to 1 drone, but no mention of delays? I wonder where I can look to be able to find out how long shipments take? Odd that DJI does not put on the site ETA for each drone?

Many more obstacles indoors, best first to use outside until you get used to it, but indoors need good lighting and good textured flooring. And be careful of interference.

For me Oracle said it all .
2020-2-28
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

I can't speak for DJI but I don't think you will ever see Follow Me or Active Track on MM.  I bought the MM due to its portability.  It met my needs for traveling and launching/recovering while out on my boat.  My only concern with the MM is I'm reading about too many uncommanded descent incidents.  I have not personally experienced this but it is a concern always in the back of my mind.  Bottom line: your money, your decision.   
2020-2-28
Use props
Mizzu
lvl.4
Flight distance : 431873 ft
Germany

Bassboat Posted at 2-28 04:49

Also DJI store says they ship within a few days and does not mention any delays? I see they have limited buys to 1 drone, but no mention of delays? I wonder where I can look to be able to find out how long shipments take? Odd that DJI does not put on the site ETA for each drone?

I got the Mini (the very first ever) and couldn't listen to all other people on Youtube blablabla.
Powered it on in my living-room, got it in the air, smashed into my clothes horse, 4 Propellers destroyed.
It turns out that the Mini is in ATTI Mode all the time when I'm indoor since my floor got no textures.

Idiot me - Lesson learned the hard way.

Now I got enough "sense" to control it in ATTI Mode, but seriously: Just don't do it in the very beginning.
Avoid being stupid like me and avoid unnecessary damage on your Mini. It's pretty fragile.
Get out and get used to it until you feel very comfortable, everything else will just raise the fear of destroying it in you.
2020-2-28
Use props
Richard Hopkins
lvl.4
Flight distance : 923406 ft
United States

I got mine in December 24, 2019 flu it in my house put prop guards on, set payload on, bounced off walls hit a lot of things but it kept flying now I can fly inside with out hitting anything, Takes practice but you become better and better as you fly it, took it outside on the 28th was scared to death my yard has a lot of trees kept my prop guards on and did not hit anything It was amazing! So, it’s up to you if you want it now, or wait! I bought the fly more combo and love it!
2020-2-28
Use props
Cal Evans
lvl.4
Flight distance : 85673 ft
United States

Hi!

1) If you think you are going to get a discount and you don't have a pressing need/desire to get out there and fly, sure, wait.

2) I've seen a lot of BEAUTIFUL footage shot in cold weather/snow. Don't let THAT be your reason not to buy.

3) I've been flying my Mini since December and never had a single incident that I did not cause. I don't take off until it has a home point, I don't fly low over water, and basically, I'm careful. Even with all of that I still have managed to shred 2 sets of props. But anything that has happened can be traced directly back to pilot error. My mini has performed flawlessly.

4) Look at the features that are NOW AVAILABLE. There is no hint from DJI that the Mini will ever get anything else. So don't buy it in the hopes that it gets X. It either meets your needs or it doesn't.

My Mini was my first Drone. I'm now saving up for a bigger one because it turns out that I love flying them. It's a great entry-level device. I can't recommend it enough. Yes, there have been problems, but this forum is here for us to discuss those problems. So you will see a lot of them. Very few people come here after every flight and say "HEY! Nothing went wrong!" So don't take what you see here as the norm. On the other hand it's GREAT to have a community to come talk to when something happens that you don't understand.

Cheers!
=C=
2020-2-28
Use props
Bassboat
lvl.1

Canada

Cal Evans Posted at 2-28 06:13
Hi!

1) If you think you are going to get a discount and you don't have a pressing need/desire to get out there and fly, sure, wait.

Hey thanks for this amazing feedback, Sold!

Now just trying to figure out how long this will take to get from DJI store, as it says ships in 3 days, but not sure with the Corona virus if this will take months?
2020-2-28
Use props
Renato61
lvl.4
Flight distance : 168163 ft
Italy

Bassboat Posted at 2-28 06:42
Hey thanks for this amazing feedback, Sold!

Now just trying to figure out how long this will take to get from DJI store, as it says ships in 3 days, but not sure with the Corona virus if this will take months?

Not months, but almost 3 weeks
2020-2-28
Use props
Bassboat
lvl.1

Canada

Renato61 Posted at 2-28 06:51
Not months, but almost 3 weeks

Placed my order for the Mavic Mini Fly More  Last night after confirming with DJI Admin that it should be here in a few days.

Well the exact feedback I got was “ The estimated shipping date is displayed in the product page, if it is shipped as expected, it usually takes 3-5 business days for the delivery, please keep us updated if you have further concern.”

Now hopefully that is as straight forward as they say... will post an update once I receive it, but so far the process has been easy and great.
2020-3-2
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Bassboat Posted at 3-2 14:22
Placed my order for the Mavic Mini Fly More  Last night after confirming with DJI Admin that it should be here in a few days.

Well the exact feedback I got was “ The estimated shipping date is displayed in the product page, if it is shipped as expected, it usually takes 3-5 business days for the delivery, please keep us updated if you have further concern.”

Good luck and enjoy ...
2020-3-2
Use props
GaryDoug
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1264639 ft
  • >>>
United States

Bassboat Posted at 3-2 14:22

Please let us know how it goes with the order.....and of course with the learning curve ;-)
2020-3-2
Use props
Bassboat
lvl.1

Canada

Update! Drone ordered Sunday night, processed and paid Monday and confirmed shipped today and estimated ETA March 4th!

Hopefully no surprise delays, in both delivery timing , or surprise fees/charges like duty!

Very excited to get my mini in the next 24 hrs!
2020-3-3
Use props
m80116
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3264131 ft
Italy

Well done, nice season opening
2020-3-3
Use props
BigBird-2
lvl.4
Flight distance : 883645 ft
  • >>>
United States

Bassboat Posted at 3-3 13:52
Update! Drone ordered Sunday night, processed and paid Monday and confirmed shipped today and estimated ETA March 4th!

Hopefully no surprise delays, in both delivery timing , or surprise fees/charges like duty!

You WILL enjoy it. Simple flyer.
2020-3-3
Use props
Renato61
lvl.4
Italy

My order of 16/02/2020 is still pending
2020-3-4
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

@bassboat - Congratulations.  Read the manual and fly safely

@Renato61 - Wow, sorry to hear that.  What is customer service telling you about the status of your order?
2020-3-4
Use props
Renato61
lvl.4
Italy

DowntownRDB Posted at 3-4 04:37
@bassboat - Congratulations.  Read the manual and fly safely

@Renato61 - Wow, sorry to hear that.  What is customer service telling you about the status of your order?

2020-3-4
Use props
Bassboat
lvl.1

Canada

Mavic Mini combo Arrived Today!

4 Days total, from order date to arriving at door!  

Thanks DJI!
2020-3-5
Use props
djicheaha
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2957598 ft
  • >>>
United States

Congratulations on your new MM. I have been enjoying mine. It has a place in my flight bag with my Mavic Air. Enjoy your flying.
2020-3-5
Use props
Jim_H
lvl.3
Flight distance : 787152 ft
Malaysia

Bassboat Posted at 3-5 16:25
Mavic Mini combo Arrived Today!

4 Days total, from order date to arriving at door!  

Well, since you post this in forum, then I bet you know the importance of pre-flight checks..
Have fun and safe flights!
2020-3-5
Use props
Renato61
lvl.4
Italy

Mine hasn't been shipped yet. I'm starting to lose my patience
2020-3-6
Use props
Bassboat
lvl.1

Canada

Renato61 Posted at 3-6 01:21
Mine hasn't been shipped yet. I'm starting to lose my patience

Hello, sorry to hear you’re  not having much luck/progress, wondering what DJI shows as your status? As you can see from my experience, goes from received order and next step is payment, etc... thus you can see where it is stuck? I would contact customer support as maybe something is wrong with your order?

See image below of my progress... charged it up and flying it indoors already! Amazing drone the mini!
2020-3-6
Use props
Renato61
lvl.4
Italy

Bassboat Posted at 3-6 06:21
Hello, sorry to hear you’re  not having much luck/progress, wondering what DJI shows as your status? As you can see from my experience, goes from received order and next step is payment, etc... thus you can see where it is stuck? I would contact customer support as maybe something is wrong with your order?

See image below of my progress... charged it up and flying it indoors already! Amazing drone the mini![view_image]

My order status:

2020-3-6
Use props
Drone Diver
lvl.1
Flight distance : 11982 ft
Japan

Follow your gut feel. If your gut says buy there FLY!!!
2020-3-12
Use props
Drone Diver
lvl.1
Flight distance : 11982 ft
Japan

Follow your gut feel. If your gut says buy there FLY!!!
2020-3-12
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules