Batteries always on charger
4843 15 2020-2-28
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
nullx8
lvl.3
Flight distance : 383635 ft
Thailand

some peoples suggest to store batteries at 20ish% and charge them only when use them
others say "keep them fresh"

so what's the best way of doing it?
I have my batteries always on the charger except of the one I use.

so what is the proper way of maintaining the batteries?
2020-2-28
Use props
Woe
Captain
Flight distance : 4129268 ft
  • >>>
United States

Keep them at 20% and charge them when your going to used them.
That's great advice. My 3 year old Mavic pro batteries still gets me 17 min
of flight. This is the method I use.
2020-2-28
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello and good day nullx8. Thank you for reaching out and for the information you have shared with us. You can use the DJI Mavic Mini Charging Hub to store your DJI Mavic Mini Intelligent Flight Batteries. Just a reminder that the battery's performance will be influenced if it is kept idle for a long time. To maintain the battery's active state, it is recommended that users charge and discharge the battery every three months. Do not completely discharge the battery and then store it for a long time; otherwise, the battery will over-discharge and the battery cells will be damaged, which will make the battery unusable. In addition I will be posting a link where in you can see the manual of the DJI Mavic Mini Two-Way Charging Hub ( https://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/ ... uide_v1.0_multi.pdf ). Thank you.

2020-2-28
Use props
nullx8
lvl.3
Thailand

thanks, but if you use them like 3 times / week .. does it still make sense?

i understand about "keeping them" .. but where is the line in the sand between keeping and using ?
i mean in matters of time ?
or just fly them empty (which is usually 30-20% for me anyway and then just charge them before leaving ?
can i just leave them on the charger and plug in the charger when needed .. somethings like that ?

there is so much conflicting informations out there
2020-2-28
Use props
Mell
lvl.3
Flight distance : 635922 ft
Estonia

Did you read the manual at all? It can be even dangerous to keep battery's in charger all the time. And its not good to keep them always full charged.
2020-2-28
Use props
nullx8
lvl.3
Thailand

DJI Stephen Posted at 2-28 08:18
Hello and good day nullx8. Thank you for reaching out and for the information you have shared with us. You can use the DJI Mavic Mini Charging Hub to store your DJI Mavic Mini Intelligent Flight Batteries. Just a reminder that the battery's performance will be influenced if it is kept idle for a long time. To maintain the battery's active state, it is recommended that users charge and discharge the battery every three months. Do not completely discharge the battery and then store it for a long time; otherwise, the battery will over-discharge and the battery cells will be damaged, which will make the battery unusable. In addition I will be posting a link where in you can see the manual of the DJI Mavic Mini Two-Way Charging Hub ( https://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/ ... uide_v1.0_multi.pdf ). Thank you.

[view_image]

yes great, you wrote "use the hub to store them" which i do btw. but the picture you post say "disconnect the batteries"

that's exactly what I meant about conflicting information ;)
2020-2-28
Use props
nullx8
lvl.3
Thailand

Mell Posted at 2-28 08:21
Did you read the manual at all? It can be even dangerous to keep battery's in charger all the time. And its not good to keep them always full charged.

DJI Stephan says otherwise

and yes i did read the manual, i use the batteries almost every day, so the gap of not use is not that big.

my oldest battery has 192 cycles and is almost 3 years old,
i can fly it for 25 minutes in the mavic pro like on day 1. so i guess i did something right.
if i not fly i won't have them on the charger, that's just common sense, the question was more about how long they can stay on the charger since it has some electronics that do take care of this things.
also if the charger is not on power but the batteries still on the hub, is that the same as storing them somewhere else ?
because this is what i do when i not fly, i put them there .. but do not charge them, and when i plan on fly tomorrow i plug in the hub.
but physically they always at the hub.

the manual only covered the "storage" like if you literally put them away.
but not the normal use scenario like I fly today, put them on the charger and fly tomorrow again. or maybe in 3 days' time.
these normal operation times have no coverage in the manual.

2020-2-28
Use props
AlansDronePics
Second Officer
Flight distance : 814751 ft
Guernsey

Only DJI know how their charger and battery circuitry works, so the correct answer can only be given by them.
The first unknown is what happens when the cells are fully charged. High-end chargers and in this case, it includes the circuit in the battery, will monitor the voltage of the battery. Depending on the health of the cells, this voltage will drop over time. A new battery will retain the voltage for many hours and a heavily used on will show a volt drop quite quickly. The used cells will be frequently topped up to the peak voltage and the worse the battery health, the more heat is generated with detriment to the chemicals in the cell. You can see this effect if you fully charge a cheap power bank until the charge light goes out. Switch off the charger for a few minutes and then switch back on. The charge light will light again. This doesn't happen with my DJI batteries and charger. I would expect the system to be high-end and allow for the voltage drop to a greater extent.
The other unknown is the degree of current that discharges from the battery, back into the switched-off charger. I would expect it to be microamps and a day or so connected up will make no difference to anything. That isn't the case with cheap power banks.
Play safe, remove them from the charger as soon as you happen to see them fully charged. I have (unwisely) charged up overnight for an early morning flight with no ill effects. I don't do that with my camera and other chargeable equipment. LiPos on charge and left unattended, are a risk I am happy to avoid.
As you say, a 3 year old battery with 192 charge cycles, able to poke out the full wack of juice, is proof you are not abusing them. Only another 300 charges and you will have achieved manufactures expectations.
2020-2-28
Use props
AG0N-Gary
Second Officer
Flight distance : 700846 ft
United States

If you leave them charged or charging, they won't last long.  Run them down to somewhere around 40% for storing.  Charge immediately before flying, as the instructions say.  
2020-3-2
Use props
Picanoc Jack
Second Officer
Flight distance : 10318117 ft
Canada

I have just over 1000 miles with the same original batteries,  I try to avoid going below 30% and that seems to have worked out good for me.
2020-3-3
Use props
nullx8
lvl.3
Thailand

AG0N-Gary Posted at 3-2 22:10
If you leave them charged or charging, they won't last long.  Run them down to somewhere around 40% for storing.  Charge immediately before flying, as the instructions say.

the instruction does not qualify "storing"
is 2 days between flights considered "storage" ?

where is the line in the sand ? everyone just quoting the manual, including the DJI Support.

but noone clarify what storage means.
2020-3-3
Use props
Ex Machina
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1806362 ft
United States

nullx8 Posted at 3-3 04:13

The default auto-discharge time is 10 days, so "Storage" means not being in use for more than 10 days.

For the last 3 years I've been recharging after flights and topping off before new flights if needed, and it hasn't affected my flight times as far as I can tell. I do not leave the charger plugged in between charges to prevent damage from spikes and such.
2020-3-3
Use props
AG0N-Gary
Second Officer
Flight distance : 700846 ft
United States

nullx8 Posted at 3-3 04:13

I wouldn't worry about a couple of days.  I often charge mine on a weekend when I suspect I might get a chance or need to fly.  If I don't fly, they self discharge after 5 days automatically.
2020-3-3
Use props
nullx8
lvl.3
Thailand

AG0N-Gary Posted at 3-3 20:27
I wouldn't worry about a couple of days.  I often charge mine on a weekend when I suspect I might get a chance or need to fly.  If I don't fly, they self discharge after 5 days automatically.

ah thanks for that, yes i have sent my older ones to 4 days and the new ones to 10 days (default?)

thanks alot
2020-3-4
Use props
Picanoc Jack
Second Officer
Flight distance : 10318117 ft
Canada

Woe Posted at 2-28 08:13
Keep them at 20% and charge them when your going to used them.
That's great advice. My 3 year old Mavic pro batteries still gets me 17 min
of flight. This is the method I use.

say Woe are your batteries starting to swell?  My batteries are about the same age as yours and recently I just noticed a small swelling on them.  But like yours they're still working good.
2020-3-12
Use props
Woe
Captain
Flight distance : 4129268 ft
  • >>>
United States

Picanoc Jack Posted at 3-12 05:49
say Woe are your batteries starting to swell?  My batteries are about the same age as yours and recently I just noticed a small swelling on them.  But like yours they're still working good.

No swelling as of yet. Hopefully they won't swell
2020-3-12
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules