Updating stuck at 1%
9098 18 2020-2-29
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Rockyraaccoon
lvl.4
Flight distance : 982382 ft
United States

So I'm finally getting around to updating my SC. The download went fairly quickly but now the update portion has been stuck on 1% for about an hour.

Any ideas or tips on what I should do?

Should I let it spin it's wheels until the battery gives out?

Should I turn it off and plug it up to dji assistant 2?

My ears are open if you can help.

Thanks.
2020-2-29
Use props
raven swe
Second Officer
Flight distance : 517936 ft
Sweden

WIFI or using assistant 2,, some folks had a problem doing it over WIFI but went ahead and tried it even thou dji advised doing it thru assistant 2, no problem when done with assistant 2. it states on the sc update notice you get on the screen to use assistant 2, and some of those folks that did get it to work over WIFI had other problems show up afterwards
2020-2-29
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello and good day Rockyraaccoon. I am sorry to know about this situation and thank you for reaching out. I would recommend updating the firmware of your DJI Smart Controller using your computer with the DJI Assistant 2. The latest version of DJI Assistant 2 can be downloaded using the link below. You may refer to the video tutorial below as well. Please keep us posted on the latest progress and for further assistance. Thank you for your support.

https://www.dji.com/smart-controller/downloads

2020-2-29
Use props
Rockyraaccoon
lvl.4
United States

raven swe Posted at 2-29 13:26
WIFI or using assistant 2,, some folks had a problem doing it over WIFI but went ahead and tried it even thou dji advised doing it thru assistant 2, no problem when done with assistant 2. it states on the sc update notice you get on the screen to use assistant 2, and some of those folks that did get it to work over WIFI had other problems show up afterwards

I tried the DJI assistant 2 app first. Unfortunately, the download kept freezing around 10% just before it said network error.

So then I tried over wifi with the SC. The download went flawlessly, but the install freezes at 1%.

I swear, this shouldn't be this complicated.
2020-2-29
Use props
lannes
First Officer
Flight distance : 4465 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Rockyraaccoon Posted at 2-29 16:09
I tried the DJI assistant 2 app first. Unfortunately, the download kept freezing around 10% just before it said network error.

So then I tried over wifi with the SC. The download went flawlessly, but the install freezes at 1%.

I'd try the DJI Assistant 2 approach again , but this time connect the PC/laptop directly to your router via a ethernet cable
2020-2-29
Use props
Grillo5
lvl.1
Italy

Hi everyone, I too have the same problem, updating the system, it crashes at 1%, and I can't get out.
Is there a system to unlock and stop the system?
2020-3-1
Use props
Rockyraaccoon
lvl.4
United States

Grillo5 Posted at 3-1 04:04
Hi everyone, I too have the same problem, updating the system, it crashes at 1%, and I can't get out.

I finally managed to get it to work via Assistant 2.

However, it was far from easy and nowhere near painless.

So, I spent about an hour watching the download drag, and periodically having to hit "Retry" after another "network error". Luckily, it would restart at the point where the error occurred.

The network errors quit after the first hour, so now I was left with 2.5 more hours while waiting for it to download the update.

The rest of the process went smoothly and extremely fast (in comparison to the download phase) once the download finished. Both "Transmitting" and "update" phases worked out in about 15 minutes.

So in conclusion.....Just plan on taking a Saturday and put on your best determination face, and sit at the computer until your update works.

In this day and age, I'm still shocked that updating FW is such a pain in the hind side.
2020-3-1
Use props
Rockyraaccoon
lvl.4
United States

Grillo5 Posted at 3-1 04:04

I had that happen 3 times when I tried updating via SC. All I could do was wait for the battery to die, then it would restart outside of the frozen upload screen.
2020-3-1
Use props
fans8b803c8d
lvl.4
Flight distance : 55305 ft
  • >>>
United States

I had the same hopeless experience updating to this SC firmware. Used the latest version of DJI Assistant 2, and had more than 40 network errors and retry routines. After almost 2 hours of frustration and watching the progress bar stall at various percentages and then sit forever at 98% it finally updated. (My internet connection is fibre-optic and fast.) Does a simple firmware update really have to be so agonising?

This was the second time I'd updated the SC to this newest firmware version and, magically, it corrected an issue whereby the C2 button wouldn't activate Camera Settings, as assigned, unless the Camera Settings were first activated using the screen icon, thereafter the C2 button would work as expected.

I'm convinced there's a 'voodoo' aspect to DJI's firmware and software updates whereby repeating the update magically fixes things. It's why the mods recommend it so often.
2020-3-2
Use props
Grillo5
lvl.1
Italy

I'll tell you about my experience.
I did the procedure with DJI Assistant 2, it stopped me several times too, trying several times but it told me that it failed at 99%.
In the end I tried again, and at every beep of the remote control, I pressed the power button, and in the end I managed to update the remote control.
2020-3-8
Use props
ff22
Second Officer
United States

Grillo5 Posted at 3-8 03:04
I'll tell you about my experience.
I did the procedure with DJI Assistant 2, it stopped me several times too, trying several times but it told me that it failed at 99%.
In the end I tried again, and at every beep of the remote control, I pressed the power button, and in the end I managed to update the remote control.

Yes, trying to keep the power from automatically turning off is half the battle.  You can using the SC's main settings to change the timeout - a maximum of 30 minutes I believe.  But even that makes it a little less harrowing.
2020-3-8
Use props
rottielover
New
Flight distance : 3051 ft
United States

I'm sitting here on DJI Assistant 2 for Mavic with the download stuck at 0% and I don't really see anything happening with my ethernet on my desktop PC.

The Controller originally started downloading the new update on the WiFi automatically, and after a 10 hour battle I made it to 56%.  Then I started searching the internet and saw this thread and the instructions for installing via Assistant, but this seems worse!

This surely seems like something on the server hosting side, because as I am typing this I went to 1% and my ethernet is Receiving at about 200 kbps
2020-3-14
Use props
rottielover
New
United States

After staying up till 3am I got it to download and it started running the update, but failed at 98%, then kept restarting the upgrade, it would say it was downloading, rocket through that then start updating but fail at 98%.

I eventually turned off everything and went to bed.  Today I'm trying again and the download has now started over at 0% and seems frozen again.......

I've been in IT for 20 years, I've been through failed upgrades, firmware glitches, networking problems, firewall issues, "bricked" devices.  This is by far the most painful firmware update experience I can remember, and the saga continues!
2020-3-15
Use props
JohnDG
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1097270 ft
Belgium

rottielover Posted at 3-15 09:00
After staying up till 3am I got it to download and it started running the update, but failed at 98%, then kept restarting the upgrade, it would say it was downloading, rocket through that then start updating but fail at 98%.

I eventually turned off everything and went to bed.  Today I'm trying again and the download has now started over at 0% and seems frozen again.......

I expierenced two problems.
1. the device went asleep before it finished the update. So, I kept poking it, until the real update started. Once it starts replacing the firmware, it won't stop anymore.
2. the last update didn't succeed until I did a factory reset. Yes, I did install some other apps before. Once the device was back to it's factory settings, the update worked. Problem is that you have to redo all the tweaks and settings you did.

Had to do a factory resets in the past when patching firmware on routers and switches too. It's the last thing you want to do, but sometimes that's what you have to do.
2020-3-15
Use props
rottielover
New
United States

Finally got it,  to take....   phew.

I had to remove my memory card in order to get it to work but it did work after that without having to do a factory reset.
2020-3-15
Use props
Samphoto
lvl.3
Flight distance : 314705 ft
  • >>>
United States

I'm stuck at 1% for maybe 20 minutes now.  No way to exit the screen or turn it off.
2020-6-9
Use props
djiuser_PvNSuz4JK8bY
lvl.2
Hungary

Samphoto Posted at 6-9 15:31
I'm stuck at 1% for maybe 20 minutes now.  No way to exit the screen or turn it off.

With all of these software issues, what amazes me is that the drone actually flies and comes back.
2020-7-12
Use props
JohnDG
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1097270 ft
Belgium

djiuser_PvNSuz4JK8bY Posted at 7-12 01:49
With all of these software issues, what amazes me is that the drone actually flies and comes back.

If you are stucked at 1% it means you didn't had the firmware downloaded yet. That is a network problem.
I also experienced that the smart controller has quite some troubles with 5GHz WiFi. I got it working with my Asus router, but the SC connects to the 2.4GHz signal of my router before it even sees the 5GHz channel.
The second hickup is around 26%, when the controller falls asleep. Just tap it from time to time to keep it alive.
I did several updates. I'm only updating using my pc connected with a fixed line to my network and the DJI assistent 2, keeping the  possible problems described above in mind. Don't trust all the wireless options as wireless stability depends a lot on the environment. In a residential area with lots of networks on the same frequencies can be cause of a lot of trouble.
2020-7-12
Use props
llllllzj
New

Poland

rottielover Posted at 2020-3-15 16:21
Finally got it,  to take....   phew.

I had to remove my memory card in order to get it to work but it did work after that without having to do a factory reset.

For me this worked as well. Thanks !
2022-2-14
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules