1446 7 2020-2-29
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
mattjuk47
lvl.2
Flight distance : 38399 ft

United Kingdom

Hi Folks,
Having recently bought a P4P+ i was keen to try it and see its capabilities during the recent Storm Dennis, i am new to drones but not model flying which i have done on since 2002, flying large scale turbine helicopters.

I have just put up a vid and am keen to get some feedback, as i can fly but still need to understand ISO,Shutter speed,Apperture.

I would welcome any feedback on what can be done better etc, everything is on Auto, i set to cloudy and then everything else is on Auto, i dont shoot in any mode except standard, and the photos jpeg/raw.
https://youtu.be/SckjBm26WUI

2020-2-29
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello and good day mattjuk47. Thank you for reaching out and for sharing this wonderful video you have filmed using your DJI Phantom 4 Pro+. I hope that you will get the best recommendation from our valued DJI co pilots with regards to this matter. In addition, I will be posting an official DJI tutorial link on tips and tutorial on aerial photography ( https://store.dji.com/guides/cat ... aerial-photography/ ). I hope this can help you. Thank you and have a safe flight always.
2020-3-1
Use props
mattjuk47
lvl.2

United Kingdom

Hi Stephen, thanks for the message, will definitely look at the training link.
2020-3-3
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

mattjuk47 Posted at 3-3 10:18

Hello and good day mattjuk47. You are very much welcome and I am glad to help. If you have any other inquiries or concerns with DJI. Please feel free to post it here at DJI Forum. We are here to help and support you. Thank you and have as safe flight always.
2020-3-7
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

I think it is not bad at all.
My main concern would be to focus on capturing the subject you want to capture in a nice way.
The 'technical stuff' will come later.
ISO, Aperture, Shutterspeed are not that important in fact (even though some people tend to think they are).
Usually the 'auto' mode is ok unless you are really serious about the project.

I can explain how I use these tools. (that is what they are)
Essentially they control the 'exposure' of your shot (video or still). And by that I mean the light that hits the sensor and how it is converted to an image.
Each of these is used to control the amount of light that hits the sensor OR how much light is needed. So when a lot of light is entering, you will get a bright image etc.
All of these tools have  some drawbacks, but not all of them are relevant for drones.
I will focus on the most important part (there is much more)
  • ISO = how sensitive your sensor is to light. HIGH ISO = you need less light . BUT you also get more noise. In practice you leave this as low as possible.
  • Aperture is a number telling how much of the lens opening is covered. (high number = less light hitting the sensor = darker image)
    If you have a low number, you will get more light on the sensor. I can't change it with my drone. I would leave it 'as is' because you can usually work with the shutterspeed to get the desired exposure.
  • Shutterspeed = how long the shutter is open. (longer time = more light on the sensor = brighter image)
    In general you want a fast shutterspeed for sharp image (long exposures lead to blurred images due to the camera movement)
But your drone can manage this quite well actually with the auto mode. It works based on 'average' exposure (so you get a evenly exposed image, not too bright, not to dark)

There are (for hobby use) 2 problems that might occur :
  • Jumps in exposure when you change perspective (for example, when more sky is in the frame, the automatic exposure will try to correct this to get an average)
    Not much you can do about it, except lock the exposure (there is an option on screen to lock exposure, but remember that you might end up with a bright or dark video, since the exposure won't change while being locked)
  • Some situations 'fool' the automatic exposure and you get too bright or too dark footage.
    This does not happen very often and is easily corrected with the right wheel on the controller.
I fly 90% on automatic mode. The only thing I change is the EV correction. I usually set this to -0.7 or so because I rather have a bit darker image to prevent over exposed parts.
Plus I like the output better that way.

My point with this 'not being important' is that there are other things you might want to focus on first that have a much greater impact on your final product than the exposure (since the drone can take care of this rather well).
That are the basic photography / videography rules on how you capture your subject in a 'pleasing' way (subjective of course)
Instead of pressing that red button without thinking about it, you can make a lot of difference as a 'photographer' (or videographer) by making a good composition and telling your story in a way that is pleasing to look at.

For photography there are not too many drone specific things and you really can just take any book about composition and learn from that.
For videography a drone adds something that normal camera's don't really have : the ability to move freely (and smoothly) in space while recording.
That is something you can take advantage of in your video work.
Still it is all about the story you want to tell. What you want to show the world (us). But you can follow some basic rules that will probably give you a 'better' video.
  • Move SLOW (you might want to turn down the sensitivity of the controls to be able to achieve this)
  • Press record AFTER you are happy with what you see. (many beginner video's have a lot of unneeded changes in direction in their work)
  • Make continuous movements (keep your fingers at the same position while recording) so the movement is nice and smooth.
  • If you are unhappy with the shot, fly back and try again (I do this with most of my shots, taking a good shot is difficult)
  • If you want to make more interesting movements, try to include 'multiple directions' in your movement.
    (forward and pan left, Up and tilt gimbal, sideways + pan etc. etc. )
    This is hard to do right, BUT it is really pleasing if it works.
    I might make some tutorials about this.
That is it for now.

Fly safe and practice a lot!
2020-3-10
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

mattjuk47 Posted at 3-3 10:18

If you reply to somebody, it might be a good idea to hit the 'reply' link below the post you are replying to. That way the user gets a notification
2020-3-10
Use props
HurleyBird
Second Officer
Flight distance : 549295 ft
  • >>>
United States

Here is my 2 cents on your video although Monty covered most of it.

First, remember we all start at the beginning of something new and different and constructive feedback and training will only help us get better. I spent a lot of time on YouTube learning about all the different aspects of shooting video as regards to lighting and filters and camera speed.

For your video its a bit long unless you have a large number of different subjects that keeps the viewers interest the entire time, otherwise most people will move onto the next video. Also a good audio track helps set the tone or mood of your videos.

I use the grid layout in the app when flying so I can make sure my subjects are lined up correctly and I always use the Histogram feature to make sure my lighting is correct. Here is a link that fully covers this topic.

https://digital-photography-scho ... and-use-histograms/

Also under the video settings its best to use a manual White Balance instead of Auto. There are quite a few options for most shooting styles like sunny and cloudy and this will help keep your camera from hunting for the correct light settings.

Finally I would focus more on flying to start with rather than taking pics or video. Just get comfortable with the controls and the way the drone moves. Once your fully confident in your flying ability then you can focus on what you are videoing. There's nothing more frustrating than trying to capture something but your more focused on controlling the drone so you miss the shot or don't get the shot you were hoping for. When you are ready to start filming I think a good rule to follow is to always press record at the very beginning of every  flight. In the digital age you can always delete what you don't like or need but you can't go back to that exact moment and capture it again.

Good luck and enjoy and do not hesitate to ask questions or for feedback.

2020-3-10
Use props
mattjuk47
lvl.2

United Kingdom

HurleyBird Posted at 3-10 11:08
Here is my 2 cents on your video although Monty covered most of it.

First, remember we all start at the beginning of something new and different and constructive feedback and training will only help us get better. I spent a lot of time on YouTube learning about all the different aspects of shooting video as regards to lighting and filters and camera speed.

Brilliant feedback, thanks everyone for posting, hope everyone is ok and coping with unusual events going on, here in uk its full lockdown from tomorrow Tues 25th march
2020-3-23
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules