Remote won't connect to phone
4321 12 2020-2-29
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
LordErec
lvl.1
United States

I just got my Mavic Mini with the Fly More bundle this week and was incredibly disappointed to find that the remote won't connect to either of my Android smartphones (remote is turned on, DJI app is open, phone is connected over USB and the app says disconnected and doesn't recognize the remote). In both cases the phone quickly pops up a prompt to connect to the USB device for file transfer for less than a second before it disappears, and then defaults to no data transfer with the phone attempting to charge off the remote. If I try to manually change the USB mode on my phone to PTP or file transfer it just reverts right back to no data transfer.

One phone is an Asus Zenfone 6 with USB-C and Android 10, the other is a Moto G5 Plus with micro-USB and Android 9 so it's not the ports/cable or a specific manufacturer version of Android. Additionally, both of these phones work perfectly fine with my Mavic Air. The remote doesn't appear to be defective as I can connect it to DJI  Assistant on my PC and refresh the firmware without issue (and I've confirmed it has the latest firmware), so I have to  assume that this is a fundamental firmware/hardware design issue that a  replacement won't fix.

I'm currently planning to go ahead and return my currently useless drone while I'm still in the return window and hope that DJI eventually fixes this, but I'm not going to hold my breath and wait months and months for a fix that might never come.

How many others have experienced this? Are there any other quick fixes I could try before I go ahead with the return?

2020-2-29
Use props
lannes
First Officer
Flight distance : 4465 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Is the remote connected to the Mini ?
2020-2-29
Use props
LordErec
lvl.1
United States

Ok, now I feel a bit stupid...

Apparently DJI made an entirely new, separate app for the Mini instead of supporting it with their regular app. No idea why they would do this, but now that I'm using the correct app it works.

So as a heads-up, if you're using existing DJI drones and get a Mini, remember that you need a different app for it than for every other drone they make.
2020-2-29
Use props
lannes
First Officer
  • >>>
Australia

It pays to read the quick start guide and the manual
2020-3-1
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Hi, thank you for reaching out. Can you please clarify if you still experience the same problem? Please keep us posted. Thank you!
2020-3-1
Use props
LordErec
lvl.1
United States

DJI Gamora Posted at 3-1 08:12
Hi, thank you for reaching out. Can you please clarify if you still experience the same problem? Please keep us posted. Thank you!

Thanks for following up, the problem was that I was using the wrong app. I have a Mavic Air and assumed that the Mavic Mini would be controlled through the same DJI GO 4 app, which is not the case. Everything is working now that I'm using the correct app.

Some feedback I would give on this is to update the DJI GO 4 and DJI Fly apps to detect all the smart remotes, and display a popup message if the current remote isn't supported by the app to help avoid this confusion for other users (and to avoid confusion if I grab the wrong remote since the Mavic Air and Mavic Mini remotes look nearly identical).
2020-3-1
Use props
Savage3006
lvl.4
Flight distance : 156709 ft
United States

lannes Posted at 3-1 00:36
It pays to read the quick start guide and the manual

That's the first thing to do read the manual you can learn a lot.
2020-3-1
Use props
Flying Wolf_NOLA
lvl.4
Flight distance : 345827 ft
  • >>>
United States

Sometimes we get so excited to fly that we don't stop to read.  It happens.  :-)
2020-3-1
Use props
djiuser_0wBVeA7NwK30
New
Germany

Hi!
I just came back home from a having a very sad experience today with my Mavic mini drone.
I was flying it over a lake here in Munich and suddenly it started to descend quickly under it fell completely into the middle of the lake!!!!!!
I lost my drone today because of no reason!!! I even tried to push it upwards seeing it going down and no response. Pressed return home and also no response it kept going down until it drowned...
How come this can happen?
I really believe that dji drones are ones of the strongest in the market but such a bug can make someone lose couple of hundreds of euros as simple as this?
Can you please advise what should I do know?
Btw I have the video stored in the cash on my phone!!!
2020-3-1
Use props
lannes
First Officer
  • >>>
Australia

djiuser_0wBVeA7NwK30 Posted at 3-1 12:23
Hi!
I just came back home from a having a very sad experience today with my Mavic mini drone.
I was flying it over a lake here in Munich and suddenly it started to descend quickly under it fell completely into the middle of the lake!!!!!!

Reach out to DJI support and open a case.

Contact links are at the bottom of this page

https://www.dji.com/au/support/product/mavic-mini
2020-3-1
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
Flight distance : 1264639 ft
  • >>>
United States

Manual???? There was no manual included with my mini. I had to download one somewhere. Not cool, DJI.
2020-3-1
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

LordErec Posted at 3-1 08:33
Thanks for following up, the problem was that I was using the wrong app. I have a Mavic Air and assumed that the Mavic Mini would be controlled through the same DJI GO 4 app, which is not the case. Everything is working now that I'm using the correct app.

Some feedback I would give on this is to update the DJI GO 4 and DJI Fly apps to detect all the smart remotes, and display a popup message if the current remote isn't supported by the app to help avoid this confusion for other users (and to avoid confusion if I grab the wrong remote since the Mavic Air and Mavic Mini remotes look nearly identical).

That's good to know that you already isolate the problem that you have. Also, I will take note of this suggestion of yours and will forward it to our designated department for attention. Thank you for your understanding and support!
2020-3-2
Use props
Ohon Rehman
lvl.1

Bangladesh

I'm also facing this problem. Thank you for your post
2020-3-18
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules