Shot down over Turks and Caicos- Beware of anti paparazzi jammers
726 9 2020-3-2
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
pMBeUvIrTOrh
lvl.1
Canada

So I was flying someone else Mavic Mini in the Turks and Caicos ten days ago.  I have been flying various drones for a couple of years. My first day out with the drone went well and I found it very simple to use and fly. Got some shots of the real estate property I was there to photograph etc. The location of the property was ideal for kite boarders but on the other side of the island there was another beautiful beach that was better suited for photography with the models walking on the beach etc.  So we headed there and got the necessary still and video shots with the camera and then I flew the drone to see if I could get some nice walking along the beach shots from above.
I flew the drone up and around the water a few times and it was performing well. Then as I was setting up to do the walk shot with the models, I lost control of the drone completely . It was no more than 75 meters away from me and maybe 25 in the air. I tried everything beginning with the return to home, nothing worked, I got error messages reporting transmission problems and strong wind warnings, there was no wind....then it seemed to go into RTH mode and flew up to the 50 meter preset but still no control, it then took  off away from me at full speed flew over the water and people who saw it later told me it just dropped from the sky into the water. I assume it was held there until the battery died.
So needless to say I had no idea what had happened, was totally depressed and returned back to where I was staying to try to figure it out.  I looked at the log files and none of it made sense until I spoke with another property owner from the area. Beside the beach where  I was flying is a multi million dollar rental home, one that is often rented to big stars at $20k+ a night. It seems that the people who run this place like many others around the world have jammers and drone guns he told me. He has recently installed jammers on his property after renting it to two famous hockey players over Christmas. He said that there were drones constantly flying over the house getting photos.
So as bizarre as this story sounds, it happened.
B
2020-3-2
Use props
m80116
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3264131 ft
Italy

Not entirely sure that is an explanation... I tend to believe digital signals cannot be mangled in such a way to give different commands, rather distorted or surmounted beyond recognizable levels. It would be interesting to see the log registered by the DJI Fly app telemetry.
I also question the practice... a drone in the air is certainly better than a drone droppin onto your head, plus the electromagnetic pollution of such insane devices.
2020-3-2
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

Really need to see flight log.   Frankly, a property owner installing Jammers is looking for trouble.
2020-3-2
Use props
Dmitry Vishnevskiy
lvl.4
Flight distance : 588635 ft
Russia

It may be GPS spoofing + signal block. Drone loose RC signal and go "home" wrong direction until battery discharged
2020-3-2
Use props
pMBeUvIrTOrh
lvl.1
Canada

Dmitry Vishnevskiy Posted at 3-2 08:43
It may be GPS spoofing + signal block. Drone loose RC signal and go "home" wrong direction until battery discharged

Might be that Dmitry.  But it was definitely not a fluke.  
2020-3-2
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
Flight distance : 5902228 ft
  • >>>
United States

m80116 Posted at 3-2 07:31
Not entirely sure that is an explanation... I tend to believe digital signals cannot be mangled in such a way to give different commands, rather distorted or surmounted beyond recognizable levels. It would be interesting to see the log registered by the DJI Fly app telemetry.
I also question the practice... a drone in the air is certainly better than a drone droppin onto your head, plus the electromagnetic pollution of such insane devices.

a drone dropping from the sky onto someone's head isn't a thing.  it doesn't exist.
2020-3-2
Use props
virtual
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4897142 ft
Czechia

I suppose You wasn't flying over the private property but over public beach so why use guns or jammers without any warning?
2020-3-2
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
Flight distance : 5902228 ft
  • >>>
United States

virtual Posted at 3-2 10:15
I suppose You wasn't flying over the private property but over public beach so why use guns or jammers without any warning?

if in fact these are the type of people as described, why would they wait for the drone to fly over their property?  IfI were them, i would think it is better to bring that drone down not onto my own property.

for a lot of people, public property means very little.  many people believe you are not allowed to "look at" their private property from public property.  most everyone in America believes it even though it isn't true.
2020-3-2
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello and good day B. Thank you for sharing these information and your experience in flying your DJI Mavic Mini on that location. Since this unfortunate incident happened. Kindly please contact out DJI Support Team for further assistance at https://www.dji.com/support?site=brandsite&from=nav. We would our best to find out the reason of the incident and then the corresponding resolution would be provided for you. Again I am sorry for your loss and thank you for your understanding.
2020-3-2
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

People having 'jammers' is mostly urban myth. In this case it sounds just like the sort of issue that many owners have been having with their Mavic Mini, and not an attempt to jam it.
2020-3-2
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules