If you were brand new to flying drones would you ........
850 14 2020-3-2
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
RetiredInFL
lvl.3
Flight distance : 17234 ft
  • >>>
United States

If you were brand new to flying drones and never flown anything other than a toy drone would you get a NEW Mavic Mini or a REFURB Mavic Air (from DJI w/warranty) don't consider price, just which would "you" get ?

2020-3-2
Use props
Woe
Captain
Flight distance : 4129268 ft
  • >>>
United States

You can't go wrong either way. I haven't seen the MM in action so I would say the MA.
2020-3-2
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Any DJI drone except the Mavic Mini.
The Mini is not in the same league and nowhere near as capable as their other drones.
2020-3-2
Use props
raven swe
Second Officer
Flight distance : 517936 ft
Sweden

too many problems with the mini from what I'm reading around forums, it must rank now as the most lost drone, my opinion anyway, I did read somewhere that dji were replacing lost drones even if the lost one cant be recovered, don't know how true that is.
2020-3-2
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 12373104 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Hi,

I own a MA and MM. Both are great drones.
Pro and cons for both ofcourse, just see al the YT video`s about the 2 models.

Some MM had or has problems with an uncontrolled descent ; or its a battery problem or bad props on their minis or an error we don`t know yet.

A number of MM owners lost their MM due to the fact of not returning home (in RTH) due to too much wind. Not a fault of MM but users were not aware of the capability of MM and ofcourse not fully aware of high winds. But i have seen logs from MA and other DJI drones who were lost in high wind too.As long as you fly within the specs of a each drone, no problem at all.

My MM is faultless, its does fly great and give lot of fun to fly the MM. Love the endurance of flight and its size ; great for bike travellers.

MA is better for its video quality and its obstacle avoidance sensors.

Good luck making your choice.

cheers
JJB
2020-3-2
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello and good day RetiredInFL. Thank you for reaching out and for the inquiry. I hope that you will get the best recommendation from our valued DJI co pilots with regards to this matter. In addition I will be posting a link where in you can compare the overview and the specifications of both the DJI Mavic Mini, DJI Mavic Air and with other DJI consumer drones ( https://www.dji.com/products/com ... ndsite&from=nav ). Thank you for your valued support.

2020-3-3
Use props
AntDX316
First Officer
Flight distance : 3394731 ft
  • >>>
United States

DJI Spark or you can risk losing it in High-winds.  Mavic Air isn't good for beginners.  My friend keeps crashing his.
2020-3-3
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

JJB* Posted at 3-2 23:13
Hi,

I own a MA and MM. Both are great drones.

@RetiredInFL JJB makes excellent points on behalf of both drones.  It really is a matter of personal choice.  I like the Mini because of it's portability and length of flight time.  Good luck in making your choice and happy flying.
2020-3-4
Use props
O Ynot
lvl.4
Flight distance : 220079 ft
United Kingdom

I looked at the Air and the Mini for my first drone and chose the Air. My reasoning was that having read the comments in the forum I felt that not all of the problems had been sorted in the mini (just my personal opinion/choice). I’m really pleased with my Air and
2020-3-5
Use props
O Ynot
lvl.4
Flight distance : 220079 ft
United Kingdom

/ am astonished by the excellent image quality from the camera. I’m also impressed with how easy to fly it is.  Et please remember to read and re-read the manual. Hope these comments help and hope you enjoy whichever drone you go for.
2020-3-5
Use props
RetiredInFL
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

Thanks everyone for your responses.  I kind have eliminated the MINI because it's really too small for my taste.   I just added a new "twist" to my dilemma.  I have seen some great deals on the Mavic Pro as well as Pro Platinum which has really sent me into a quandary.  I see the AIR seems to have a better avoidance system (front/back/bottom) than the PRO (front/bottom) which is a plus but the PLUS has greater range.  Not sure how importance rear avoidance systems are (no jokes please).  I can get a new PRO PLATINUM for about the same price as a refurb AIR kit from someone locally who got one as a gift and never used it.  Still sealed box.
2020-3-5
Use props
lannes
First Officer
Flight distance : 4465 ft
  • >>>
Australia

RetiredInFL Posted at 3-5 15:58
Thanks everyone for your responses.  I kind have eliminated the MINI because it's really too small for my taste.   I just added a new "twist" to my dilemma.  I have seen some great deals on the Mavic Pro as well as Pro Platinum which has really sent me into a quandary.  I see the AIR seems to have a better avoidance system (front/back/bottom) than the PRO (front/bottom) which is a plus but the PLUS has greater range.  Not sure how importance rear avoidance systems are (no jokes please).  I can get a new PRO PLATINUM for about the same price as a refurb AIR kit from someone locally who got one as a gift and never used it.  Still sealed box.

I'd go for the MPP because of the Ocusync transmission protocol, for me it's been rock solid all the time, while with my MA the wi-fi can get a bit flakey at times.

Also the slight longer flight time and quieter propellers of the MPP is a bonus.

The only issue with the an unopened MPP is potentially issues with batteries that have been in hibernation for a while. If it's a recent build then it shouldn't be a problem.
2020-3-5
Use props
RetiredInFL
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

lannes Posted at 3-5 16:18
I'd go for the MPP because of the Ocusync transmission protocol, for me it's been rock solid all the time, while with my MA the wi-fi can get a bit flakey at times.

Also the slight longer flight time and quieter propellers of the MPP is a bonus.

The box shows a manufacture date of Sept 2019.
17E92DE3-653B-48B7-8FF4-09D0A7C4DC4B.jpeg
2020-3-5
Use props
Neo Supreme
Second Officer
Flight distance : 76329 ft
United States

As you've already done, I would choose the Mavic Air.  Iannes stated that the Mavic Pro is a nicer choice, due to OccuSync, which I do agree, though, I would start with the Mavic Air.......just be cognizant (as you should already be) about strong winds, as the Mavic Air will struggle to perform, though the gimbal keeps the shot nice and steady.
2020-3-12
Use props
Picanoc Jack
First Officer
Flight distance : 10368153 ft
Canada

Mavic Air for sure
2020-3-13
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules