Flying with iPad Mini
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Mike Faulkner
lvl.3
Flight distance : 659521 ft
United Kingdom

Another DJI Newbie silly question, but if you dont ask, you dont get ...

Not had much of a chance to do much flying since my DJI Mini arrived a couple of weeks ago due to the windy conditions here in UK.  One thing I have noticed is that the contrast on my iPhone screen makes some of the text quite difficult to read, so I was thinking of using my non-cellular iPad mini (5).   On my previous drone (Parrot BeBop 2) the iPad worked well but would not work with the compass, nor set a homepoint properly.   Would I have the same problem with the DJI?

I think the added real estate on the mini would be better for my old eyes, especially when editing video.

Thoughts Please..

Thanks.
Mike

2020-3-3
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello and good day Mike. Thank you for reaching out and for the inquiry. I hope that you will get the best information from our valued DJI co pilots who are using the iPad mini 5 when operating or flying there DJI Mavic Mini. I addition, DJI would recommend you to use a recommended mobile device for compatibility and reliability purposes. For reference I will be posting the list of recommended mobile device for the DJI Mavic Mini. Thank you.

2020-3-3
Use props
Hurley1718
Second Officer
Flight distance : 549295 ft
  • >>>
United States

Hey Mike,

A non cellular iPad will work perfectly. I used to have a Samsung tablet doing the same thing. The main difference is that with a cellular device your homepoint location will update if you move away from the take-off area. With a non cellular device if you walk away from the homepoint and then hit RTH it won't come back to you but rather go to the location that you took off from.

You could use your phone as a hot spot but I wouldn't trust it 100%.
2020-3-3
Use props
Mike Faulkner
lvl.3
Flight distance : 659521 ft
United Kingdom

Hurley1718 Posted at 3-3 11:58
Hey Mike,

A non cellular iPad will work perfectly. I used to have a Samsung tablet doing the same thing. The main difference is that with a cellular device your homepoint location will update if you move away from the take-off area. With a non cellular device if you walk away from the homepoint and then hit RTH it won't come back to you but rather go to the location that you took off from.

Thanks Hurley1718.

Pretty much the sama as my BeBop 2, I never had any joy with hotspotting it to my phone.  I will probably look out for a used cellular iPad mini on a popular auction site.
2020-3-3
Use props
Hurley1718
Second Officer
Flight distance : 549295 ft
  • >>>
United States

Mike Faulkner Posted at 3-3 20:34
Thanks Hurley1718.

Pretty much the sama as my BeBop 2, I never had any joy with hotspotting it to my phone.  I will probably look out for a used cellular iPad mini on a popular auction site.

Thats probably your best bet and they are not that expensive anymore.
2020-3-4
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules