12Next >
15845 40 2020-3-4
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
DrewAdkins18
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1216867 ft
United States

I'm planning to fly above water soon and don't want the waves/water messing it up. How do I turn these off manually for the duration of the flight?
2020-3-4
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

You unfortunately can’t .
2020-3-4
Use props
DrewAdkins18
lvl.3
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 3-4 15:21
You unfortunately can’t .

Would putting a piece of tape over them work? I'm just nervous about the water messing my shots up.
2020-3-4
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Hi, thank you for reaching out. We don't have the option to disable the Vision sensor of the DJI Mavic Mini on the DJI Fly app not unlike the DJI Go 4. For your reference, you may refer to the link below if you are planning to fly above the water. Thank you for your understanding and support!

https://store.dji.com/guides/how-to-fly-safely-over-water/
2020-3-4
Use props
yamyamu
lvl.2
Turkey

DrewAdkins18 Posted at 3-4 15:22
Would putting a piece of tape over them work? I'm just nervous about the water messing my shots up.

As the other guys said, you cannot turn it off within the rules...

About sticking a tape, I tried it once, and it scaared the hell outta me   After taping and flying, the gps went off for a while and the Mini just ascended without stopping since it couldn't see the ground and I lost control because of the interference...

In my case there were lots of buildings and trees very close to each other, I was planning to take shots around 3-5 meters altitude, and it was both extremely scary and dangerous situation. But I don't  think closing sensors in an open field can make a problem.. The only thing is; be careful while landing.
2020-3-4
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

DrewAdkins18 Posted at 3-4 15:22

I think some have tried, but it possible you still may have unsteady flight particularly if flying low as gps may not always be as strong , so maybe test over grass first .
2020-3-4
Use props
DrewAdkins18
lvl.3
United States

yamyamu Posted at 3-4 15:44
As the other guys said, you cannot turn it off within the rules...

About sticking a tape, I tried it once, and it scaared the hell outta me   After taping and flying, the gps went off for a while and the Mini just ascended without stopping since it couldn't see the ground and I lost control because of the interference...

I'll probably just have to skip the shots over water. Thanks for the input.
2020-3-4
Use props
BigBird-2
lvl.4
Flight distance : 883645 ft
  • >>>
United States

DrewAdkins18 Posted at 3-4 15:44

I think that's a good idea. Fly safe.
2020-3-4
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

DrewAdkins18 Posted at 3-4 15:44

I regularly take off and land from my boat.  If you are going to fly over water plan your flight carefully.  Not only do you need to take into account the wind conditions but wave conditions.  Hope you have fast reactions and good flying skills.  I maintain a minimum of 2.5 meters above the water.  If you take off from shore ensure that your HP is set where your drone will not land in the water in case you are within 20 meters when an RTH is activated.  Be cautious of birds, especially seagulls if your shooting near the beach.  Several times nearby seagulls have become somewhat aggressive and I’m sure they could easily take out my MM.  My main worry is if I suffer an uncommanded descent and can’t recover it before it becomes a submarine.  If it does then that’s on me as I considered that issue and made the decision to fly anyway.  If you decide to fly over water then please stay alert, don’t try any crazy maneuvers, and make sure you have plenty of battery to make a return if you make a long flight over water.  Good luck and fly safely.
2020-3-4
Use props
DrewAdkins18
lvl.3
United States

Dirty Bird Posted at 3-4 19:31
You can't turn off the sensors but don't stress over it.  In hundreds of flights over water with multiple DJI drones I've never had an issue.   I have never disabled the VPS on any drone.  Avoid skimming the surface & stay 10' up.  You'll be fine.

My shots are atleast 50 feet from anything, I’ve been flying for a while but I’m nowhere near an expert.
2020-3-4
Use props
DrewAdkins18
lvl.3
United States

Dirty Bird Posted at 3-4 19:43
You'll be fine then.  You are only likely to have a VPS issue if you are right above the surface & the water is clear & smooth so the sensors don't recognize the surface.  Water around here is so green & murky the VPS has no problem detecting it.

Same here with the river, I've seen mud cleaner than that water haha.
2020-3-4
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
Flight distance : 1264639 ft
  • >>>
United States

I have only about a dozen flights with the Mini over water so far but with no real problems (knock on wood). I usually try to stay above the range of the ground sensor, which is about 32 feet. The last time I flew it over water, I was just trying to set it to hover while I drove my boat passed. I forgot and first set it at about 15 feet altitude and I noticed it was dropping slowly and intermittently. The water there was fairly clear. I then increased the altitude to about 40 feet and it settled there long enough to make the video. It did make me a bit nervous though.
2020-3-4
Use props
DrewAdkins18
lvl.3
United States

GaryDoug Posted at 3-4 19:59
I have only about a dozen flights with the Mini over water so far with no real problems (knock on wood). I usually try to stay above the range of the ground sensor, which is about 32 feet.

Nice to know, thanks for the input. Really eases the mind. I receive the mini Friday.
2020-3-4
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Ooopps I added text to my reply above....
2020-3-4
Use props
KlooGee
First Officer
Flight distance : 16783757 ft
  • >>>
United States

I fly over water all of the time with all of my DJI drones (including the Mini) and have never had any issues.  
2020-3-4
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

I'm still nervous about losing the Mini in the water and not being able to use my repair insurance, so......at the risk of starting another firestorm of objections, here is what I am using to make sure I can retrieve it. Range is reduced depending on the wind speed of course. Don't laugh ;-)
DSCN4025-c.jpg
2020-3-4
Use props
DrewAdkins18
lvl.3
United States

GaryDoug Posted at 3-4 20:15
I'm still nervous about losing the Mini in the water and not being able to use my repair insurance, so......at the risk of starting another firestorm of objections, here is what I am using to make sure I can retrieve it. Range is reduced depending on the wind speed of course. Don't laugh ;-)[Image]

I ordered one of these on Amazon
066AA690-DF82-4BB3-8D42-EAFDD62C1A7B.jpeg
2020-3-4
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

DrewAdkins18 Posted at 3-4 20:16
I ordered one of these on Amazon

I have one of those also but it made the drone unstable in a cross wind with a lot of ESC errors, so I quit using it since I have no intention of ever landing on the water. If there was no wind, it worked ok but reduced range by at least 50%.
2020-3-4
Use props
DrewAdkins18
lvl.3
United States

GaryDoug Posted at 3-4 20:22
I have one of those also but it made the drone unstable in a cross wind with a lot of ESC errors, so I quit using it since I have no intention of ever landing on the water. If there was no wind, it worked ok but reduced range by at least 50%.

Wow didn't know it was that bad, if it's too bad I'll just send it back and go with your idea.
2020-3-4
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

The simple block of Styro is kept from hitting the props with a fixing device made from a large paper clip that protrudes up into the block ....(I can't stop laughing)..... clipped into the mounting holes. You can just see it in the photo. Other wise, the block will shift around. I'm sure I will get rid of this ridiculous setup some day when I get more confidence and don't worry so much about losing my Wife's Christmas present to me ;-)

p.s. I just realized that steel paper clip may be affecting the compass. Gotta have a better idea....

2020-3-4
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

DrewAdkins18 Posted at 3-4 20:24
Wow didn't know it was that bad, if it's too bad I'll just send it back and go with your idea.

All those contraptions are more likely to end up causing more damage to your drone, I live by the Ocean and fly over it everyday I fly, I wouldn’t chance using any of those ridiculous ideas, VPS is not that fickle, I would just advise keep 30ft above water until you feel comfortable.

2020-3-5
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 3-5 02:48
All those contraptions are more likely to end up causing more damage to your drone, I live by the Ocean and fly over it everyday I fly, I wouldn’t chance using any of those ridiculous ideas, VPS is not that fickle, I would just advise keep 30ft above water until you feel comfortable.

Hallmark007, if that footage is in your "backyard" you are one lucky guy.  What a scenic place to live.  
2020-3-5
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

DowntownRDB Posted at 3-5 05:26
Hallmark007, if that footage is in your "backyard" you are one lucky guy.  What a scenic place to live.

It’s the most northerly point of Ireland fanad lighthouse Donegal, it’s about an hour away from me .
2020-3-5
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Dirty Bird Posted at 3-5 12:04
Nice video.  The audio track is excellent as well.

Cheers thanks.
2020-3-5
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 3-5 02:48

I agree, but you have far more experience and more time to gain confidence. We are just beginners. In time we will follow suit I am sure. Premium video, BTW. Was that taken with a Mini?

The pontoons were a bad choice, as I found. But the simple top hat seems to be ok. I would not use it for longer flights though because of the range reduction.

2020-3-5
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

GaryDoug Posted at 3-5 12:43
I agree, but you have far more experience and more time to gain confidence. We are just beginners. In time we will follow suit I am sure. Nice video, BTW.

The pontoons were a bad choice, as I found. But the simple top hat seems to be ok. I would not use it for longer flights though because of the range reduction.

Yes I might have but just like starting the pole vault you’ve gotta try it first you can’t keep looking at it, over water is a lot safer, no obstacles better signal no interference, stay well above VPs range and it won’t be a problem, might be best to find out about what’s making minis land for no reason first . ;+)
2020-3-5
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 3-5 13:45
Yes I might have but just like starting the pole vault you’ve gotta try it first you can’t keep looking at it, over water is a lot safer, no obstacles better signal no interference, stay well above VPs range and it won’t be a problem, might be best to find out about what’s making minis land for no reason first . ;+)

Absolutely about the "land for no reason" syndrom. That is the main reason I will keep on the top hat for now until that has some resolution. I want it back for the service insurance if nothing else.

The Apollo program did not start with a moon landing on flight 1. There were 10 prior stages of trials.

2020-3-5
Use props
Cryptic
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1516709 ft
United States

I would not get low enough for that to be a problem. ;)
2020-3-6
Use props
DrewAdkins
lvl.3
United States

GaryDoug Posted at 3-5 14:33
Absolutely about the "land for no reason" syndrom. That is the main reason I will keep on the top hat for now until that has some resolution. I want it back for the service insurance if nothing else.

The Apollo program did not start with a moon landing on flight 1. There were 10 prior stages of trials.

The apollo project had billions to work with, I have about $500 haha
2020-3-6
Use props
WrongWay Feldman
lvl.4
Flight distance : 19885 ft
United States

It's my understanding (and I could be wrong) that the sensors on the bottom only come into play when you're less than 16 feet off the ground.  I base that understanding on the fact that when flying indoors or without gps it has a maximum height of 16 feet because that's the limits of the sensors.

I fly over water all the time but I'm usually at least 25 feet up and I don't try and skim the surface.

Go fly, just don't try skimming the surface especially on a windy day.

2020-3-7
Use props
JohnK48
lvl.4
Flight distance : 311020 ft
United States

I have seen a demonstration using DUCT TAPE. The answer to many, many problems.  Just tape over the sensors.  Of course staying 20 beet or more above the water seems very wise.
2020-3-7
Use props
WrongWay Feldman
lvl.4
Flight distance : 19885 ft
United States

JohnK48 Posted at 3-7 11:36
I have seen a demonstration using DUCT TAPE. The answer to many, many problems.  Just tape over the sensors.  Of course staying 20 beet or more above the water seems very wise.

Try it and let us know how it works out.

Tip: put on the prop guards.

I have tried it and the Mini will not hoover, you have to constantly correct, and it's easy to over correct and lose control.

That was indoors without gps, it might work better with gps outside but if not, bye bye Mini.

Do you have a link to a video with the Mini outside and sensors covered? I couldn't find one.
2020-3-7
Use props
JohnK48
lvl.4
United States

WrongWay Feldman Posted at 3-7 12:25
Try it and let us know how it works out.

Tip: put on the prop guards.

What I saw was a YouTube video that was indoors. It looked very stable, but maybe it was due to the skill of the pilot.  Trying to remember something about it.  The guy is a professional photographer.  He and his wife have quite a few videos, primarily about photography.  If I find it I will post a link here.  I could also try doing it for myself.  Now inside my house I do get enough satellites to use, so that might be beneficial. The thing that I remember specifically is him flying it indoors and he was flying it near a coffee table and as he skimmed about 8 inches above it, it jumped up about 6 to 12 inches which was OK when he was above the table but he wanted to fly it between to top and bottom shelf where there was a separation of about 15 inches and it would have been kind of dangerous to drone and table.
2020-3-15
Use props
JohnK48
lvl.4
United States

JohnK48 Posted at 3-15 17:14
What I saw was a YouTube video that was indoors. It looked very stable, but maybe it was due to the skill of the pilot.  Trying to remember something about it.  The guy is a professional photographer.  He and his wife have quite a few videos, primarily about photography.  If I find it I will post a link here.  I could also try doing it for myself.  Now inside my house I do get enough satellites to use, so that might be beneficial. The thing that I remember specifically is him flying it indoors and he was flying it near a coffee table and as he skimmed about 8 inches above it, it jumped up about 6 to 12 inches which was OK when he was above the table but he wanted to fly it between to top and bottom shelf where there was a separation of about 15 inches and it would have been kind of dangerous to drone and table.

I believe the video was by Tony Northrup, but I could not find it.
2020-3-15
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Related to the issue of taping over the sensors: I noticed that the pontoon mount ( see post 20) does slightly obstruct the sensors. I also noticed that I was able to fly much closer to the ground with them attached. Might be a connection there.
2020-3-15
Use props
Traxx119
lvl.4
Canada

JohnK48 Posted at 3-15 17:14

It kind of sounds like a video i saw a while back:  
2020-3-15
Use props
BrianKushner
Second Officer
Flight distance : 41420253 ft
  • >>>
United States

Litchi allows you to turn off the sensor. Once you do it will stay off in DJI fly
2021-4-15
Use props
Capt. Otjep
New
Flight distance : 1889567 ft
  • >>>
Indonesia

DrewAdkins18 Posted at 2020-3-4 20:16
I ordered one of these on Amazon

this makes the drone like a hover-board hahaha
2022-5-30
Use props
djiuser_zPmpy3HDX03w
New

United States

DJI Gamora Posted at 2020-3-4 15:30
Hi, thank you for reaching out. We don't have the option to disable the Vision sensor of the DJI Mavic Mini on the DJI Fly app not unlike the DJI Go 4. For your reference, you may refer to the link below if you are planning to fly above the water. Thank you for your understanding and support!

https://store.dji.com/guides/how-to-fly-safely-over-water/

Where the #1 thing to do is turn off the VPS.. XD
2023-4-18
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

djiuser_zPmpy3HDX03w Posted at 4-18 09:07
Where the #1 thing to do is turn off the VPS.. XD

Hi, djiuser_zPmpy3HDX03w. Since DJI Mavic Mini doesn't have the option to turn it off, please skip the first step. Kindly follow the steps that are only applicable to your drone. Thank you for your kind understanding.
2023-4-20
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules