Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Inspire_Max
Second Officer
Flight distance : 9211303 ft
  • >>>
Italy

So,

according to DJI, who loose MM in a flyaway is always been considered "guilty" for the lost, with NO replacement even with DJI Care.

I think MM is too "young" to be "put on the market".

We are used as guinea pigs, as always...

What do you think?

Please vote.
Single SelectVote, Total 23 people participate in voting

Voting has ended

21.74% (5)
8.70% (2)
43.48% (10)
26.09% (6)
Your user group with no voting privileges
2020-3-5
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

I put other, first I haven’t seen dji not give warranty for crashes, those with compass problems have got replacements, I’ve seen some who were clearly at fault so pilot error, and the last batch those who have lost drones because of involuntary drop in altitude and crashed or lost, I’m still waiting to hear from those as to the outcome, I do also think dji should come forward with some explanation for this, whether they believe it’s pilot error and how, or update FW .
2020-3-5
Use props
m80116
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3264131 ft
Italy

Tip: The post by the administrator or moderators shield
2020-3-5
Use props
AntDX316
First Officer
Flight distance : 3394731 ft
  • >>>
United States

It is indeed a true bummer when things you have fail on you but anything alive on Earth, inherently problems are always possible.  Not knowing them is how life feels better.
2020-3-5
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

according to DJI, who loose MM in a flyaway is always been considered "guilty" for the lost, with NO replacement even with DJI Care.
According to you, but you are wrong.
If it can be shown that the loss was caused by a DJI fault, it's a warranty case and replacement is given.
There have been many, many cases of DJI replacing in those circumstances.

We are used as guinea pigs, as always...
Although often repeated in forums, this is not true either.

2020-3-5
Use props
eegore
lvl.1

United States

All I know is my first Mini had a vibrating gimbal that failed and was not covered under warranty.  I got a replacement through refresh and it lifted about 5 feet off the ground then dropped rapidly into the ground, lifted and did it again, I had to run over and physically grab the drone to turn it off.

I'm sure this drone, with about 40 seconds of flight time will be my fault as well.
2020-3-5
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

eegore Posted at 3-5 16:35
All I know is my first Mini had a vibrating gimbal that failed and was not covered under warranty.  I got a replacement through refresh and it lifted about 5 feet off the ground then dropped rapidly into the ground, lifted and did it again, I had to run over and physically grab the drone to turn it off.

I'm sure this drone, with about 40 seconds of flight time will be my fault as well.

You need to read and execute your warranty correctly, if you have a faulty drone raise a ticket and return, your experience is not a normal experience.
2020-3-5
Use props
InspektorGadjet
Second Officer
Flight distance : 439915 ft
Spain

For sure FW needs fine tuning and updates asap.
Many reckless users too doing ¨stupid¨things too...
2020-3-6
Use props
Inspire_Max
Second Officer
Flight distance : 9211303 ft
  • >>>
Italy

hallmark007 Posted at 3-5 15:42
I put other, first I haven’t seen dji not give warranty for crashes, those with compass problems have got replacements, I’ve seen some who were clearly at fault so pilot error, and the last batch those who have lost drones because of involuntary drop in altitude and crashed or lost, I’m still waiting to hear from those as to the outcome, I do also think dji should come forward with some explanation for this, whether they believe it’s pilot error and how, or update FW .

I do agree with you, but for those with compass issues, maybe the pilot was able to recover the drone and send back it for the replacement.

But after a flyaway, 99,9 % of the times, you cannot recover the drone and ship back for the replacement...
2020-3-6
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Inspire_Max Posted at 3-6 12:08
I do agree with you, but for those with compass issues, maybe the pilot was able to recover the drone and send back it for the replacement.

But after a flyaway, 99,9 % of the times, you cannot recover the drone and ship back for the replacement...

Yes it always helps to recover drone, but dji will always check logs from device and if they show malfunction then you will get warranty, if they show pilot error you will get 15% discount and if they are inconclusive you will receive a 30% discount, it’s not a pick an choose and malfunction is  always covered by warranty.

I’m a little surprised because normally if people are unhappy with djis decisions they are all over this forum and they are not happy, I don’t see them, so have they got replacements and not bothered to come back and let us know, “which is normal” or is there that many from what I read there should be plenty .
2020-3-6
Use props
m80116
Second Officer
Italy

Personally I don't believe the MM is flawed in any critical an unpredictable way. Is it flawed? yes! Is it critical? Heck NO... talking from one that's lost his first MM.

In order of importance there are these factors.

1. MM is an ultra-light drone, engines have minimal torque and are deeply influenced by propeller shape which coincidentally are quite flimsy (yet appropriate to the drone) and quite prone to be flattened by incorrect storage. People have a different metric than a Mini of what a strong Wind is...  MM is not a drone for wind... it should not be used AT ALL whenever a wind is present, I think most days than not in central Italy inland for example.

2. The uncommanded descent is a very limited problem which is most of the time recoverable and avoidable once you know how it originates. Sudden changes of air speed around the drone body cause a pressure change inside fooling the sensor/logic. It is completely avoidable by slowing down before stopping, avoid very gusty days, don't fly near surfaces unsuitable for landing when approaching very fast or in windy days. Slow the drone gradually to a stop.

3. Understanding how compass works and how critical it is for the drone correct positioning.

4. Understanding battery voltages and estimates. The 2 cell Li-ion battery is the minimum to drive a drone like that... I feel below 40% is already lacking quite some voltage/current for a decent amount of lift than it is able to provide at take off with full voltage.

Combine how people usually treat stuff and you're done: incorrect storage w/ flattened prop, ignoring wind warnings (land immediately notices), starting the drone near or above metal objects (I've seen the Mini taking off from the bonnet of a car!), starting with 50% battery because well... that's still half left right !? Personally I think those kind of ppl should not only not fly (not even paper planes) but probably stay confined at home, not drive and the rest.

Sorry to be quite raging radical but I feel most of them are just... PILOT ERROR.
2020-3-6
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

m80116 Posted at 3-6 15:03
Personally I don't believe the MM is flawed in any critical an unpredictable way. Is it flawed? yes! Is it critical? Heck NO... talking from one that's lost his first MM.

In order of importance there are these factors.

Personally I don't believe the MM is flawed in any critical an unpredictable way. Is it flawed? yes! Is it critical? Heck NO.
Tell that to all the people who had their Mini fail to hold altitude and failed to respond when they gave it full stick up.

2. The uncommanded descent is a very limited problem which is most of the time recoverable and avoidable once you know how it originates. Sudden changes of air speed around the drone body cause a pressure change inside fooling the sensor/logic. It is completely avoidable by slowing down before stopping, avoid very gusty days, don't fly near surfaces unsuitable for landing when approaching very fast or in windy days. Slow the drone gradually to a stop.
Your "understanding" of the uncommanded descent problem is very limited.
Enough to be accurately described as critically flawed.
None of what you wrote is at all true.
There have been way too many incidents that have resulted in people losing their Minis and studying their flight data shows how you are living in fantasy land with this topic.
Come back to us when you can read flight data or after you find yourself trying to recover from an uncommanded descent sometime.

3. Understanding how compass works and how critical it is for the drone correct positioning.
Compass? Positioning?
Compass is for direction, GPS is for positioning

4. Understanding battery voltages and estimates. The 2 cell Li-ion battery is the minimum to drive a drone like that... I feel below 40% is already lacking quite some voltage/current for a decent amount of lift than it is able to provide at take off with full voltage.
You might feel that, but the data shows, and you should be able to tell from your own flying, that the drone will fly and climb just as fast when the battery is at 30% as it did at 100%

Sorry to be quite raging radical but I feel most of them are just... PILOT ERROR.
There are several words that describe your posting much more accurately than radical.

Before the Mini, most flight incidents were due to misunderstanding and poor flight practices.
The Mini suffers from those but the critical descent problem is something else entirely.

2020-3-6
Use props
m80116
Second Officer
Italy

Thank you Labroides for reminding me that Compass is not for positioning, you're a deeply intelligent person and I am thankful for that. Sorry if I don't understand how a drone works or don't know anything about the uncommanded descent (being probably the first one in Forums to isolate that incident).

You're the cleverest person I've ever found on this forum and topic. Thank you very much for showing us that you know and understand what others can't... so we could always rely to you to know the truth, but since you're so clever when WILL YOU understand that some won't ever understand ?
Thanks for you time, consideration and good manners.

2020-3-7
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

When we say something is an error made by somebody , we're saying that they knew how to do something and didn’t carry it out correctly. the saying we’re all human and we all make mistakes is probably more fitting here.
How many have made mistakes and lived to fight another day, I’d hasten to say almost all of us, we are not here to judge how others made mistakes, we’re here to try insure they don’t repeat the mistakes, it’s most likely we are aware of the mistakes because we made them ourselves. And we are never far from our next mistake.

“Failure is instructive. The person who really thinks learns quite as much from his failures as from his successes.”
2020-3-7
Use props
m80116
Second Officer
Italy

Labroides Posted at 3-6 19:19
Personally I don't believe the MM is flawed in any critical an unpredictable way. Is it flawed? yes! Is it critical? Heck NO.
Tell that to all the people who had their Mini fail to hold altitude and failed to respond when they gave it full stick up.

You deliberately assimilate every drop of water to a sea. It isn't the case and you know that. You're deliberately ill-intentioned.
The uncommanded descent as a drop in height after a quick run happens without any ESC error ever being registered.

Your "understanding" of the uncommanded descent problem is very limited.

Clearly you continue for your own pleasure to despise other's views. ESC errors are a different thing, mostly  originated from flattened propellers and flying in a too strong wind.

Compass? Positioning?
Compass is for direction, GPS is for positioning

You know perfecly well dear ill-antagoniser that a compass initialized in a distorted magnetic field can quickly lead to a fly-away, especially for inexperienced people. You're using your modest knowledge to brag about your qualities and knowledge. For a GPS and compass question !? I'd be ashamed trying that stunt. What a clown.

You might feel that, but the data shows, and you should be able to tell from your own flying, that the drone will fly and climb just as fast when the battery is at 30% as it did at 100%

It's either you enjoying playing the clown or you really lack understanding. The power required the climb is modest and distributed on all engines especially for limited vertical speeds. The drone has to fight against the wind... when that happens horizontally two engines are maxed out, that's where most ESC not enought force errors happen during Stron Wind warning (land immediately, notices). A quadcopter is not a plane. It cannot increase forward speed while upkeeping lift... at some point it's either keeping attitude or recover distance, and on the Mini it's already clear that DJI privileged attitude over ground recovery. When maxed against a frontal wind the Mavic Mini will gradually and slowly lose altitude, and I totally agree with the choice. The lower the altitude, the more the chances of finding calmer winds.

I am unfazed by your way of bamboozling the cards, but I am more concerned if someone that's not your usual circle downvoted just because of your spurious claims.

Going back to winds... can you please dear fellow Mavic Mini owners go to www.ventusky.com and check for wind speed at your location? As some of you may have noticed I live in central Italy. Let's assume we all know that MM has a wind resistance limit of 8 m/s and we want to stay behind that at all costs.

Now what do you see ? Before you get too excited and carried away make sure the reading is in m/s and select an altitude of 100m. If I look the past week I find only two days into which I could have flown my Mini but wait... that is not accounting for gusts. A gust of wind can easily catch the Mini a drag it several meters away... if I select Gusts I have NO DAYS into which I could fly and not only that... gusts on Ventusky I assume are calculated for ground level (or about 10 meters above) which is not realistic with what a drone at heights can experience. Wind almost universally steeply increases with altitude.

Despite that I still find windows of decent enough air where to fly my Mini... but I know the risks, and if I get a repeated or persisten Strong Wind Warning I don't keep flying for 15 minutes like I have seen doing from some OPs... complaning about MM dropping with modest % remaining battery, after it fought like a Lion winds that were most probably in excess of what it could deal with.

Is this MM fault for you? Good luck with that... at least I can call myself out knowing to have done whatever was in my power to warn every potential owner about the limits and good practices.
2020-3-7
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

m80116 Posted at 3-7 17:00
I am unfazed by your way of bamboozling the cards, but I am more concerned if someone that's not your usual circle downvoted just because of your spurious claims.
You are also unfazed by such things as easily proved facts and evidence.

There's too much kokum in your long-winded post to comment on it all but this stands out as an example of how little you understand about drones:
at some point it's either keeping attitude or recover distance, and on the Mini it's already clear that DJI privileged attitude over ground recovery. When maxed against a frontal wind the Mavic Mini will gradually and slowly lose altitude, and I totally agree with the choice.

As has been pointed out several times, DJI drones can climb and fly just fast at 30% as they can at 100%.
And as I have pointed out several times here recently, it doesn't matter how strong the wind is blowing, if your drone is working properly, it can still hold altitude or climb higher, even if it's being blown backwards.

DJI didn't program the Mini to lose altitude in strong winds.
Just look at flight data to see plenty of evidence of that.
The Mini has a fatal flaw that causes it to lose altitude sometimes, regardless of the wind speed..

You don't have the basic knowledge to be making the comments you do.
Your bumbling attempts to push your make-believe theories only show how incompetent you are.

2020-3-7
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules