Mini Flyaway When Not Connected to App??!!!!!
10702 246 2020-3-6
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Ice_2k Posted at 3-8 11:52
I recently took a trip to the mountains (200km from my home) and upon starting up, the drone immediately requested compass calibration. This happened within 10s of powering it so 100% it did not have gps lock yet. I don’t know how the drone “knew” something was different but it did. For reasons that are not relevant here, i couldn’t do the calibration and just flew it like that with no issues. 3 days later when i got back home, i powered it up and the calibration requirement was gone.
I don’t understand enough about the compass’ internal workings to say why this happened but the fact that the compass “feels” the different magnetic properties of the earth at different locations seems obvious. How juch this matters, I don’t know.
Also, it’s a bit weird how some people keep posting screenshots from the dji manuals when it suits them and when it doesn’t they just stick with “dji is just wrong here”. You can’t have it both ways, what dji says is either a reliable source or it isn’t. Given my unintened experiment (which was repeated twice during the last 2 months), it’s clear to me that they are correct about the location being important. I don’t see what else could explain the drone immediately sensing without gps that its location was different.

I recently took a trip to the mountains (200km  from my home) and upon starting up, the drone immediately requested  compass calibration. This happened within 10s of powering it so 100% it  did not have gps lock yet. I don’t know how the drone “knew” something  was different but it did. For reasons that are not relevant here, i  couldn’t do the calibration.
That isn't a great mystery.
Your compass detected a magnetic field stronger than the earth's normal magnetic field and warned you about it,
That magnetic field interfered with your attempt to recalibrate.
The waning was poorly worded and said Magnetic Interference Move aircraft or calibrate compass.
Moving the drone away from the problem was the proper action, since recalibrating a perfectly working compass wouldn't do anything to solve the problem.

I don’t understand enough about the compass’ internal workings to say why this happened but the fact that the compass “feels” the different magnetic properties of the earth at different locations seems obvious. How juch this matters, I don’t know.
The compass "feels" any magnetic field around it.
Move a steel nail around a pocket compass to see how this works.

Also, it’s a bit weird how some people keep posting screenshots from the dji manuals when it suits them and when it doesn’t they just stick with “dji is just wrong here”. You can’t have it both ways, what dji says is either a reliable source or it isn’t.
When it comes to compass calibration, DJI has been confusing with the misleading information they have put out.
They got it right once, in the manual for the P4 pro which said: Only calibrate the compass when the DJIO Go 4 app or the status indicator prompt you to so.

All you need to know about compass calibration is clearly spelled out in this accurate and well written piece:
http://www.phantomhelp.com/tips/ ... alibration-guide.30

Given my unintened experiment (which was repeated twice during the last 2 months), it’s clear to me that they are correct about the location being important. I don’t see what else could explain the drone immediately sensing without gps that its location was different.
You have misinterpreted your "experiment".
Location makes no difference to the compass.
Your compass was reacting to being close to something steel.

I've been doing a little experiment of my own which demonstrates that location doesn't matter.
I bought a new P4 pro over three years ago.
It came from China and I have never calibrated anything on it.
It has travelled 5000 kilometres east-west and 3000 km north-south, flown over 5000 km in more than 1000 successful flights, and never asked for compass calibration.
And it still flies as reliably as it did on day one.

2020-3-8
Use props
120ccpm
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1396755 ft
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 3-8 14:38
I already explained about what happens, I also explained in the air in atti mode, I dont really have the time to go back and forth only for you to do as you did with compass simply not accept .
So I’ll show you video below, you will see around 48sec compass goes into slight yaw left craft drops gps goes to atti mode, controller turns craft around still in atti mode, you will clearly see compass in atti mode turn around 360 to face home in atti mode, before recovering to Rth .

It's ok, never mind.
2020-3-8
Use props
Anno
lvl.2
Flight distance : 761171 ft
Spain

Labroides Posted at 3-6 18:46
Well excuse me for having very little understanding of how my drone works when I've only had it a week!!!
..  It is quite obvious from my posts that my hands were not on the control sticks when my Mini flew away, so whether you think that is possible or not is really not relevant because it happened.  ..
I have better things to do than invent stories of lost drones.

You think you were trying to help and enlighten me by constantly telling me I don't understand how my drone works despite owning it for less than two weeks?
I said that I thought I had read somewhere that the drone would remain within a certain distance when flying without the app. You said that wasn't the case and asked where I had seen it.
Well it turns out that it's written in the MM manual, as quoted here...

'* For increased safety, flight is restricted to a height of 98.4 ft (30 m) and range of 164 ft (50 m) when not connected or logged into the app during flight. This applies to DJI Fly and all apps compatible with DJI aircraft.'

I'm not sure why you edited/deleted your reply to remove that particular question, maybe you realised that you were wrong and just didn't have the decency to admit it, who knows? Either way if that's what you consider being helpful please don't bother in future. ;-)
2020-3-8
Use props
Picanoc Jack
Second Officer
Flight distance : 10318117 ft
Canada

Anno Posted at 3-8 12:32
Well this forum is certainly active, I will give it that..... ;-)

Whenever I need help  this is the place I come , guys are so very helpful,  still do, went and purchased Epson BT 300 FPV glasses  got help  with those here, thanks again Lannes,
2020-3-8
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

Anno Posted at 3-8 17:14
You think you were trying to help and enlighten me by constantly telling me I don't understand how my drone works despite owning it for less than two weeks?
I said that I thought I had read somewhere that the drone would remain within a certain distance when flying without the app. You said that wasn't the case and asked where I had seen it.
Well it turns out that it's written in the MM manual, as quoted here...

I'm not sure why you edited/deleted your reply to remove that particular question, maybe you realised that you were wrong and just didn't have the decency to admit it, who knows?
I'm not sure why you think I edited/deleted that post.
It's still there untouched:https://forum.dji.com/forum.php? ... =210249&pid=2100086
Contrary to your accusation, it doesn't show that I commented on whether or not it is the case.

Either way if that's what you consider being helpful please don't bother in future. ;-)
Don't worry ... I'm very happy to leqave you in your preferred state of ignorance.
When you come back wanting help, you can get uninformed guesses from your downvoting friends who've supplied so much misinformation in this thread.

If you post flight data, I'll be happy to analyse it, but won't be sharing any information with you.

2020-3-8
Use props
GaryDoug
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1264639 ft
  • >>>
United States

I flew my first dozen flights without a device attached to the RC, with no problems, because I had no approved device yet. I'm sure glad I did not have the OP's problem. It might have started this whole firestorm of abuse back in December.
2020-3-8
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Second Officer
United States

From official manual for Mavic Mini, downloaded from DJI's website.

Calibrating the Compass
It is recommended that the compass is calibrated in any of the following situations when flying outdoors:
1. Flying at a location further than 31 miles (50 km) away from the location the drone was last flown.
2. The aircraft has not been flown for more than 30 days.
3. A compass interference warning appears in DJI Fly and/or the aircraft status indicator blinks red and
yellow alternatively.

FYI:
The aircraft can take off immediately once calibration is complete. If you wait more than three minutes to take off after calibration, you may need to repeat the calibration process.

2020-3-8
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Second Officer
United States

Geebax Posted at 3-8 15:02
This is a classic illustration of what happens when you start the aircraft while it is sitting on a huge concrete slab full of re-inforcing steel. The aircraft is not encountering magnetic disturbances while in flight, the issue was where it was switched on and  initialised the navigational system.

Recently, I had no choice but to take off from an area which had a concrete parking slab.  No other area could be used for takeoff due to trees, rough terrain, and snow drifts.

To prevent compass interference as result of rebar in concrete, flipped a child's plastic tub-sled upside down. Raising drone about 8-inches off the concrete.  No compass interference during two takeoffs and landings.   
2020-3-8
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 3-8 20:23
Recently, I had no choice but to take off from an area which had a concrete parking slab.  No other area could be used for takeoff due to trees, rough terrain, and snow drifts.

To prevent compass interference as result of rebar in concrete, flipped a child's plastic tub-sled upside down. Raising drone about 8-inches off the concrete.  No compass interference during two takeoffs and landings.

That could have been enough to avoid the metal in the concrete, or perhaps there was no metal in the concrete. But there is a more important point, it is not necessarily taking off from the position, it is where you switch on the aircraft., because it it the navigational system initialisation at startup that is the issue.

However I have to disagree with your previous post. The highlighted part about having to perform the calibration after more than 30 days has no technical basis whatsoever, nor the other part about having to perform it again if you take more than 3 minutes to take off after calibration. And before you reply that it is in the DJI manual, I should remind you that DJI are not experts in this matter, they have published totally incorrect information like this before.
2020-3-8
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 3-8 20:12

Calibrating the Compass

It's been realised for several years that DJI's recommendations for compass calibration are incorrect and very misleading.

I realise that some folks here don't like to hear facts but I'll say it again because this is true.
All you need to know about compass calibration is clearly spelled out in this accurate and well written piece:
http://www.phantomhelp.com/tips/ ... alibration-guide.30
2020-3-8
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Second Officer
United States

Labroides Posted at 3-8 21:24
It's been realised for several years that DJI's recommendations for compass calibration are incorrect and very misleading.

"When should the Phantom compass be calibrated?"

"You do not need to calibrate before every flight and in some cases you definitely should not calibrate. That doesn't mean you shouldn't ever bother doing it. It only takes one time for it to go very wrong."
2020-3-8
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Second Officer
United States

Geebax Posted at 3-8 20:45
That could have been enough to avoid the metal in the concrete, or perhaps there was no metal in the concrete. But there is a more important point, it is not necessarily taking off from the position, it is where you switch on the aircraft., because it it the navigational system initialisation at startup that is the issue.

However I have to disagree with your previous post. The highlighted part about having to perform the calibration after more than 30 days has no technical basis whatsoever, nor the other part about having to perform it again if you take more than 3 minutes to take off after calibration. And before you reply that it is in the DJI manual, I should remind you that DJI are not experts in this matter, they have published totally incorrect information like this before.

Sorry, but I am getting a chuckle out of this; being there is forum member who likes to use DJI's manuals as a club, even when it requires ignoring prefaces and context.   
2020-3-8
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Second Officer
United States

Labroides Posted at 3-8 21:24

" I realise that some folks here don't like to hear facts but I'll say it again because this is true."

No issue with hearing facts, but an issue with those who claim or think they are stating facts.  
We have seen several cases of claimed "fact" turn out to be B.lowing S.moke.  Primary as result of one member being allowed to violate forum rules with bullying, insults, character attacks, overall Trolling.
2020-3-8
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Second Officer
United States

Geebax Posted at 3-8 20:45
That could have been enough to avoid the metal in the concrete, or perhaps there was no metal in the concrete. But there is a more important point, it is not necessarily taking off from the position, it is where you switch on the aircraft., because it it the navigational system initialisation at startup that is the issue.

"I should remind you that DJI are not experts in this matter, they have published totally incorrect information like this before."

Perhaps DJI should correct their manuals?   Less DJI's manuals mislead pilots, possibly leading to fly-aways or crashes.
Not going to hold my breath.  Since, DJI still hasn't fixed issues with Assistant-2 for Windows version and for OS-X version.

2020-3-8
Use props
Ice_2k
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1132575 ft
Romania

Labroides Posted at 3-8 15:53
I recently took a trip to the mountains (200km  from my home) and upon starting up, the drone immediately requested  compass calibration. This happened within 10s of powering it so 100% it  did not have gps lock yet. I don’t know how the drone “knew” something  was different but it did. For reasons that are not relevant here, i  couldn’t do the calibration.
That isn't a great mystery.
Your compass detected a magnetic field stronger than the earth's normal magnetic field and warned you about it,

I’m sorry but your hypothesis doesn’t really work. I flew the Mini 7-8 times during that trip making a family vacation video (i got about 2.5 hours of footage in total) and it had the compass error every single time. Also, I was mostly launching from skiing slopes so really unlikely to have any metal there, especially multiple times in different locations.
2020-3-8
Use props
InspektorGadjet
lvl.4
Flight distance : 439915 ft
Spain

Labroides Posted at 3-8 15:31
some users here will positively try and help, others will for some reason turn this in to a personal attack to other users who think differently
The problem here is that you think offering completely irrelevant and misleading guesses is helping but correcting misinformation to help flyers understand their drones better and fly safer, is attacking.
That's twisted logic.

You are so bored you even get affected by comments are not for you, grow up please, and watch the big lebowsky, highly recommended.
2020-3-9
Use props
Ice_2k
lvl.4
Romania

Labroides Posted at 3-8 23:59
what I have stated is 100% true and I'm sick of trying to help and educate pig ignorant peasants in this anti-intellectual swamp

wow, so I simply present the facts about exactly what happened (not my ideas, not some hypothesis, just what actually happened to my drone) and your response is to call me and two others pig ignorant peasants? What the hell is wrong with you, man? Just wow.
2020-3-9
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 12225059 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

hallmark007 Posted at 3-8 14:38
I already explained about what happens, I also explained in the air in atti mode, I dont really have the time to go back and forth only for you to do as you did with compass simply not accept .
So I’ll show you video below, you will see around 48sec compass goes into slight yaw left craft drops gps goes to atti mode, controller turns craft around still in atti mode, you will clearly see compass in atti mode turn around 360 to face home in atti mode, before recovering to Rth .

Great video, but not a video where ATTI is presented in crafts like Spark, MM and MA.

Due to compass errors craft switches from P-GPS to P-ATTI mode ; GPS disabled, compass can be used.
As you can see even RTH is possible, left top screen remains 'green'.
Scrolling message is that craft leaves P-GPS mode, not that craft enters ATTI.

At 4m05s flightmode is switched for short mode to a real manual ATTI, colour left top to amber.

In ATTI mode for Spark, MM and MA (not sure about the latest great DJI drone like MP2z pro ect) compass readings are still present but craft does not use this data. RTH not possible in ATTI for Spark, MM and MA.

Would be nice to the log, as the link does not work anymore.

cheers
JJB

2020-3-9
Use props
Anno
lvl.2
Spain

Labroides Posted at 3-8 18:26
I'm not sure why you edited/deleted your reply to remove that particular question, maybe you realised that you were wrong and just didn't have the decency to admit it, who knows?
I'm not sure why you think I edited/deleted that post.

My bad, I looked for it for ages but couldn't find it so I take that back.
However, the answer to your question is still YES........I DID find a mention of that in the manual.
Regardless, your continual attempts to make me feel like an idiot for losing the drone due to my inexperience clearly serves no purpose other than to make you feel somehow superior, and if that's what you need in your life then I wish you all the best. :-)
2020-3-9
Use props
Anno
lvl.2
Spain

Steven So Posted at 3-7 01:20
Learn a lesson #2:  you should put your phone number and email address on the drone.  If someone found it,  he may contact you.

Yes, that is already done.
2020-3-9
Use props
Anno
lvl.2
Spain

As I have now received a response from someone else who is at least willing to help, I shall leave this thread to the trolls et al.
I came off all online forums many years ago for the exact reasons that this thread has highlighted.
There are obviously many members who have the knowledge and experience to help inexperienced muppets like myself, and to those people I am grateful.
As for the others, well........
2020-3-9
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

JJB* Posted at 3-9 01:58
Great video, but not a video where ATTI is presented in crafts like Spark, MM and MA.

Due to compass errors craft switches from P-GPS to P-ATTI mode ; GPS disabled, compass can be used.

Flogging a dead horse again, I suppose you should comment on the PH log, you actually said this guy crashed because he had no gps, but it was clear to everyone that he crashed because of interference, which others had to point out to you again.
No good posting charts and getting interpretations wrong, just as well we have People around who can read this.

Pretty easy to see compass still operating in atti mode in this spark video.

2020-3-9
Use props
MiniMing
lvl.3

Ireland

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 3-8 22:11
" I realise that some folks here don't like to hear facts but I'll say it again because this is true."

No issue with hearing facts, but an issue with those who claim or think they are stating facts.  

That’s true, you made most of them, and I see you haven’t lost your propensity for troll baiting .And accusing others of constantly having 2nd accounts, well yes this is one, but it's the only way I can comment now on mobile, and yes I've cleared it with dji forum by sending email to dji.so try checking it out just as you are constantly doing .

Cutting and pasting stuff people posted 2/3 years ago, you spend your time on this forum snooping to see if you can get info to bully others, reporting everyone except yourself that says a word out of place, taking almost all threads you come on to off topic, trying to gain support from others to cause trouble for others, who made you policeman of the forum, this is a forum about drones not about your personal grudges, when it comes to anything to do with drones your found seriously wanting so proceed to trash threads, nobody wants to continue to listen to your BS arguments, so stop the troll baiting and keep it to drones. maybe try helping others instead of constantly posting rubbish that people are ignoring , you are a bully and you've been bullying around here for to long, and everything Labroids said about you is completely correct .
2020-3-9
Use props
ABeardedItalian
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1063107 ft
United States

DJI is a Chinese Company!

Their translations are far from perfect, many places in the same manual do they often contradict each other. They're not proof reading and making sure everything coincides with each other, each translation is different and things get left out or forgotten. Using any manual as the BIBLE of DJI'S WORD is wrong, no two manuals agree. If DJI used the same literature across models then things like Compass Calibration would be defined in STONE and not say different 3 pages later.

The only way to say things are concrete is to get every DJI owner to agree that X is caused by Y and then it shall be known across X models that it works like so.
2020-3-9
Use props
m80116
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3264131 ft
Italy

Tbh, I know of being OFF topic here, I've found their MM manual well written, at least from a non-native English adopter standpoint.
2020-3-9
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Second Officer
United States

And I have the same words for you genius.
I'm sick of trying to help and educate pig ignorant peasants in this anti-intellectual swamp, who wouldn't know a fact if it jumped up and bit them.

"I'm sick of trying to help and educate pig ignorant peasants in this anti-intellectual swamp, who wouldn't know a fact if it jumped up and bit them."

As a pig ignorant peasant, I know from from Bogus calibrate Compass  messages, repeated and needless compass calibrations, never caused a flight problem with my Mavic Pro P.  

Also know from numerous tests, repeated compass calibrations done without prompting never caused a flight problem.  

There have been several threads here on forum where members have reported having to repeatedly calibrate compass, and repeated calibrations did not cause problems.  

Thus, I respectfully ask....

Please enlighten this pig ignorant peasant of anti-intellectual swamp on technical reasons as to what harm correctly Calibrating Compass can have on drone or flying of drone?

For the enlightened Lords of Land here, what are technical reasons as to why a pilot should "Never calibrate Compass unless prompted"?

2020-3-9
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Second Officer
United States

Having worked for a company where translations were of issue.

Solution was to have manual translated from English to {foreign language}, then have manual translated from {foreign language} back to English.  Then compare re-translation to original English version.  Correct translation problems, and repeat process.   

For multi billion company like DJI, process is a drop in bucket.
2020-3-9
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 3-9 10:18
"I'm sick of trying to help and educate pig ignorant peasants in this anti-intellectual swamp, who wouldn't know a fact if it jumped up and bit them."

As a pig ignorant peasant, I know from from Bogus calibrate Compass  messages, repeated and needless compass calibrations, never caused a flight problem with my Mavic Pro P.  

Think it’s clear Labroids was referring to your knowledge of drones, not just calibration, the information your looking for is contained in at least 3 different posts on this thread, the fact your having trouble finding them says he has a really good point .
2020-3-9
Use props
Anno
lvl.2
Spain

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 3-9 10:23

Solution was to have manual translated from English to {foreign language}, then have manual translated from {foreign language} back to English.  Then compare re-translation to original English version.  Correct translation problems, and repeat process.   

Or just get a good bi-lingual translator to do it properly. ;-)
2020-3-9
Use props
ABeardedItalian
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1063107 ft
United States

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 3-9 10:23

That's part of what makes this sad, they should have an English outlet that reviews this stuff and it should also pass through there legal team. Such miss information from one part to another really leaves them liable.

DJI needs a skeleton, something that is the foundation to be built upon from so that from manual to manual everything is the same outside model specific changes. Writing a whole manual per device leaves yourself open to vulnerabilities because this translations didn't interpret it the same as the last. They would need someone to go over all the manuals, fact check each portion and figure out what is the most up to date information and should be the only information and re-release all their literature but sadly I don't see this happening.
2020-3-9
Use props
120ccpm
lvl.4
United States

Using any manual as the BIBLE of DJI'S WORD is wrong, no two manuals agree. If DJI used the same literature across models then things like Compass Calibration would be defined in STONE and not say different 3 pages later.

Having inconsistent info in a manual is one thing, and it happens all the times in software because documentation is not written by the same engineers who developed a product/feature, but by tech writers who usually have partial knowledge of how things really work.

Spending development cycles and adding code in the app to require compass calibration in certain conditions is a totally different thing, it's an engineering decision. I find very difficult to believe that DJI added this feature for no reasons. Nobody other than DJI engineers can claim to have access to the full data and complete information to say that's useless.
Between a forum member (even as knowledgeable as msinger, on PhantomHelp) and a team of DJI developers, I lean toward trusting the latter.
2020-3-9
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

Ice_2k Posted at 3-8 22:55
I’m sorry but your hypothesis doesn’t really work. I flew the Mini 7-8 times during that trip making a family vacation video (i got about 2.5 hours of footage in total) and it had the compass error every single time. Also, I was mostly launching from skiing slopes so really unlikely to have any metal there, especially multiple times in different locations.

It is not actually where you launched from, it is where the aircraft was when you switched in on. Because at switch on the processor initialises the navigational system. This occured in an example some years ago leaving everyone puzzled until the owner finally remembered he had the aircraft sitting on the tailgate of his pickup truck when he fired it up.
2020-3-9
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

120ccpm Posted at 3-9 12:53
Using any manual as the BIBLE of DJI'S WORD is wrong, no two manuals agree. If DJI used the same literature across models then things like Compass Calibration would be defined in STONE and not say different 3 pages later.

Having inconsistent info in a manual is one thing, and it happens all the times in software because documentation is not written by the same engineers who developed a product/feature, but by tech writers who usually have partial knowledge of how things really work.

Again you can’t be selective about this, yes maybe they have added code to change why and how we calibrate, but is the code so bad that for instance some Mavic air users calibrate every flight some never and some every time they move , what kind of code is that and what difference is it going to make.

In my manual for  Mavic pro it says calibrate every 11k yes 11k, I own it for over 4 years never calibrated, is there code or not, again some mini all the time some less .
I think dji don’t know, but the science of whether calibration is needed is sound and I think no matter what dji does that doesn’t change.

For almost 2 years problems with compass in some early Mavic pro, until one day a forum member stripped his down and noticed his compass was badly sealed, others found similar and some found better sealing , so nothing fills you with confidence .
2020-3-9
Use props
Niknik
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1595640 ft
  • >>>
Greece

The home point is saved to the drone with the drone gps. If something happens the RTH is activated automatically and returns to the home point. You dont need a phone for the basic flight
2020-3-9
Use props
Ice_2k
lvl.4
Romania

Geebax Posted at 3-9 13:03
It is not actually where you launched from, it is where the aircraft was when you switched in on. Because at switch on the processor initialises the navigational system. This occured in an example some years ago leaving everyone puzzled until the owner finally remembered he had the aircraft sitting on the tailgate of his pickup truck when he fired it up.

I agree with what you’re saying but it wasn’t the case for me, as I said I was mainly on ski slopes, no metal nearby. Plus this happened for every single flight until I got back to my home town.
2020-3-9
Use props
120ccpm
lvl.4
United States

I don't have a Mini to test but perhaps it has the same stupid issue as some Mavic 2s.
For an unfathomable reason, DJI makes some (but not all) Mavic 2s ask you to calibrate the compass if you have travelled some short  distance or it is 30 days since your last calibration.
There is no physical reason for this but DJI did it just to further confuse users.

For an unfathomable reason, DJI makes some (but not all) Mavic 2s ask you to calibrate the compass if you have travelled some short  distance or it is 30 days since your last calibration.
There is no physical reason for this but DJI did it just to further confuse users.

Whether or not that is the case with the Mini, what I have stated is 100% true and I'm sick of trying to help and educate pig ignorant peasants in this anti-intellectual swamp, who wouldn't know a fact if it jumped up and bit them.

You do a lot of good work in this forum on flight log analysis, but then you throw everything down the toilet with statements like this. You cannot seriously believe that we consider that whatever comes out of your mouth (or keyboard) is 100% true simply because you say so. Nobody does (well, maybe your buddy Hallmark, as he's always there to back you up). And saying that out loud or barking insults won't change that perception, to the contrary, it puts you in a bad light and makes you look small.

You cited msinger a couple times... in all the time I've been on Phantom Pilots, I have never seen him responding the way you do, even when someone asked him for the 10th time why the AC doesn't return home if RTH is engaged within 20 meters from home point. And I'm sure msinger will not answer the same way, if challenged about the post he wrote about compass calibration. People who really understand technology know that there could always be the one thing they didn't think of, that one parameter they didn't consider, that coincidence they overlooked. Socrates: I know that I don't know.

The reasons why DJI added that feature are "unfathomable" to you, but that doesn't mean much and definitely doesn't make it wrong. Based on what you know, it does not make sense. That's it. I like to believe that the same smart people who designed these drones had their reasons to spend money and time to require calibration in certain conditions. That doesn't make me a pig, an ignorant or a peasant.
2020-3-9
Use props
120ccpm
lvl.4
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 3-9 13:24
Again you can’t be selective about this, yes maybe they have added code to change why and how we calibrate, but is the code so bad that for instance some Mavic air users calibrate every flight some never and some every time they move , what kind of code is that and what difference is it going to make.

In my manual for  Mavic pro it says calibrate every 11k yes 11k, I own it for over 4 years never calibrated, is there code or not, again some mini all the time some less .

The fact you (we) don't fully understand the logic or what triggers a recalibration, doesn't mean they don't. It simply means we don't understand. I accept it, you don't.
2020-3-9
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

120ccpm Posted at 3-9 13:53

The fact you (we) don't fully understand the logic or what triggers a recalibration, doesn't mean they don't. It simply means we don't understand. I accept it, you don't.

Listen if you care to read my posts I do believe dji are triggering calibration, the reason for it, well that’s going to be a long answer simply because there is no rhyme or reason to it.

It’s a bit ironic that compass which is so important to your drone and is now responsible for many crashes around here on the mini form is ok because dji wouldn’t do it unless they had good reason, but I can tell you already there have been many more crashes as result of compass in mini, than we have seen in Mavic  zoom M2 and Mavic Air put together and they’re almost two years old.

Incidentally my mini has to be calibrated no matter where I am or how often I fly, maybe you have some idea why .
2020-3-9
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

120ccpm Posted at 3-9 13:50

Again if you want to talk out the side of your mouth , go to the pub, I think you have a serious problem yourself and it’s the fact you keep coming up with stuff but when you get the answers you don’t like them, but you seem to be attracted to asking the same people the questions, maybe explain why ?

Your problem is you get the answer that makes you look silly, then throw a tantrum and with the same mantra “I (you) don’t agree) so why ask the question, it’s making you look silly because I haven’t seen you accept any answers yet .

Next time don’t be so rude if you want to talk about someone grow a pair and talk to them, I don’t have an emoji rose to send you mostly because I don’t appreciate slyness and it makes you look really small .
2020-3-9
Use props
120ccpm
lvl.4
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 3-9 14:09
Listen if you care to read my posts I do believe dji are triggering calibration, the reason for it, well that’s going to be a long answer simply because there is no rhyme or reason to it.

It’s a bit ironic that compass which is so important to your drone and is now responsible for many crashes around here on the mini form is ok because dji wouldn’t do it unless they had good reason, but I can tell you already there have been many more crashes as result of compass in mini, than we have seen in Mavic  zoom M2 and Mavic Air put together and they’re almost two years old.

Incidentally my mini has to be calibrated no matter where I am or how often I fly, maybe you have some idea why .

I don't. You don't. This does not mean DJI doesn't.
2020-3-9
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules