Mini Flyaway When Not Connected to App??!!!!!
10742 246 2020-3-6
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
120ccpm
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1396755 ft
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 3-9 14:19
Again if you want to talk out the side of your mouth , go to the pub, I think you have a serious problem yourself and it’s the fact you keep coming up with stuff but when you get the answers you don’t like them, but you seem to be attracted to asking the same people the questions, maybe explain why ?

Your problem is you get the answer that makes you look silly, then throw a tantrum and with the same mantra “I (you) don’t agree) so why ask the question, it’s making you look silly because I haven’t seen you accept any answers yet .

I think Labroides is a grown up man and can answer directly. He doesn't need his Irish squire to help.
2020-3-9
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

120ccpm Posted at 3-9 14:37
Incidentally my mini has to be calibrated no matter where I am or how often I fly, maybe you have some idea why .

I don't. You don't. This does not mean DJI doesn't.

Well as I said ironic, dji knows I don’t, but you don’t seem to care that mini is having real problems with compass, your more worried that others will show you lack any real knowledge about it.

But it’s clear there is a problem and that’s why dji are now offering a warranty for all interference crashes .
2020-3-9
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

120ccpm Posted at 3-9 13:50
For an unfathomable reason, DJI makes some (but not all) Mavic 2s ask you to calibrate the compass if you have travelled some short  distance or it is 30 days since your last calibration.
There is no physical reason for this but DJI did it just to further confuse users.

'And I'm sure msinger will not answer the same way, if challenged about the post he wrote about compass calibration.'

No, he has probably given up on those who challenge him without offering any scientific based reason.
2020-3-9
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

120ccpm Posted at 3-9 14:40
I think Labroides is a grown up man and can answer directly. He doesn't need his Irish squire to help.

Again you have a real problem reading, I mentioned nothing about labroids, you seem fascinated with him, maybe you’ll grow and accept when your wrong and stop looking for cuddles with your answers.

Just because you think it’s ok to get personal as to someone’s nationality, I’m figuring you are a fat yank. But funny story, my mother once said to me when I thought I was putting on some weight, “Don’t worry son it doesn’t matter how fat you get, They’re always be a fatter person in America”
I’d refrain from insulting anyone’s nationality, this forum is about drones, you might offend .
2020-3-9
Use props
120ccpm
Second Officer
United States

Labroides Posted at 3-9 14:44
You cited msinger a couple times... in all the time I've been on Phantom Pilots, I have never seen him responding the way you do, even when someone asked him for the 10th time why the AC doesn't return home if RTH is engaged within 20 meters from home point.

You haven't been around here long.

First, thanks for a post without insults. I think everybody appreciates it, as the tone in this forum has been quite unpleasant, lately.

I don't think you pulled your idea about compass calibration out of your... well, you know where. I'm sure you have your reasons, you did your fair amount of reading, and so did msinger. I consider it an informed position.
But - you have to admit - it remains a controversial topic, there's plenty of posts/opinions saying that compass should be calibrated to account for the changes in the Earth's magnetic field, from place to place. I see DJI's decision to force calibration from the app if you change location, as confirmation of that. Or at least, as confirmation that there is more to it than many believe.
Or maybe DJI really got it all wrong, and you and msinger are 100% correct, but I will come to that conclusion on my own, if I read something that convinces me, not because you say so and call me names. By the way, "pig ignorant peasant"... how do you come up with stuff like that?
2020-3-9
Use props
120ccpm
Second Officer
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 3-9 14:51
Again you have a real problem reading, I mentioned nothing about labroids, you seem fascinated with him, maybe you’ll grow and accept when your wrong and stop looking for cuddles with your answers.

Just because you think it’s ok to get personal as to someone’s nationality, I’m figuring you are a fat yank. But funny story, my mother once said to me when I thought I was putting on some weight, “Don’t worry son it doesn’t matter how fat you get, They’re always be a fatter person in America”

You responded to my reply to Labroides. Go back and look. When I reply to you (like now), I respond directly to you.
"Get personal at to someone's nationality"... that's because I called you Irish? Where are we, kindergarten? Someone here calls others "pig ignorant peasants" and that's ok with you, and I call you "Irish squire" and you complain? And you tell me to grow a pair... dude... please...
2020-3-9
Use props
120ccpm
Second Officer
United States

With this, I apologize to all forum members who had to witness such back and forth. And to the OP, who I'm sure never intended to see 170+ replies, many of this level. I'll stop here.
2020-3-9
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

120ccpm Posted at 3-9 15:15
You responded to my reply to Labroides. Go back and look. When I reply to you (like now), I respond directly to you.
"Get personal at to someone's nationality"... that's because I called you Irish? Where are we, kindergarten? Someone here calls others "pig ignorant peasants" and that's ok with you, and I call you "Irish squire" and you complain? And you tell me to grow a pair... dude... please...

I think as I said you were talking out the side of your mouth, like when you mentioned me in the post , and I’m sure you’re aware you did it.

I don’t comment or complain how anyone says anything, that’s their business, I’m thick skinned and if I have to give it back I will, this forum is slowly turning into the old girls club, everyone has to watch their P’s and Q’s, in fact sometimes it’s hilarious, “ I won’t talk to you unless you get manners” that’s short for I didn’t know that I was wrong thanks for helping me out here.

If you have something to say to or about me, then know I’m going to reply.

I’m not going to other posts saying 120cccpm is a fool ignorant or anything else, believe me I wouldn’t have any problems saying it to you. I’m not here to get personal with anyone , and if I offend anyone get over it many offend me everyday here, it’s not a contest of who’s the nicest, we’re all grown up here I’m certain nobody will die if someone has a spat with them, get over it move on.

2020-3-9
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

120ccpm Posted at 3-9 15:07
First, thanks for a post without insults. I think everybody appreciates it, as the tone in this forum has been quite unpleasant, lately.

I don't think you pulled your idea about compass calibration out of your... well, you know where. I'm sure you have your reasons, you did your fair amount of reading, and so did msinger. I consider it an informed position.

But - you have to admit - it remains a controversial topic, there's plenty of posts/opinions saying that compass should be calibrated to account for the changes in the Earth's magnetic field, from place to place.
Once upon a time, flat earth vs a globe was a controversial topic, same as earth being the centre of the universe or tectonic plate theory.
But on all those topics, the science is well understood and it's pretty clear if you are on the wrong side of the argument.
It's the same with compass calibration, but it's DJI's poorly worded and misleading parts of the manuals and uninformed forum discussion that perpetuate what's a completely unnecessary discussion.

My ongoing "experiment" is completely consistent and supports what I have been suggesting.
I bought a new P4 pro over three years ago.
It came from China and I have never calibrated anything on it.
It has travelled 5000 kilometres east-west and 3000 km north-south, flown over 5000 km in more than 1000 successful flights, and never asked for compass calibration.
And it still flies as reliably as it did on day one.

The key to the whole issue is what calibration really does and what it cannot do.
Compass calibration doesn't "fix" anything or change anything about the compass.
It just identifies and measures the magnetic fields which are part of the drone so they can be subtracted from the raw compass data to give a measure of the magnetic field existing in your flying environment.
That's all ... nothing about location or distance from anywhere, just the drone's own magnetic fields.
If your compass is calibrated, recalibrating is completely unnecessary and won't do anything better or make anything safer.

I see DJI's decision to force calibration from the app if you change location, as confirmation of that. Or at least, as confirmation that there is more to it than many believe.
Or maybe DJI really got it all wrong, and you and msinger are 100% correct, but I will come to that conclusion on my own, if I read something that convinces me.
Then I'd suggest reading from a source closer to where the smart thinking is happening.
The recognised authorities on the topic are sar104 and BudWalker over on the other site.
Both are high level physicists with qualifications and experience way beyond questioning.
msinger's compass piece is derived from what these guys have put together over time.
To start you off, here are a couple of threads where they touch on the issues - there are plenty more if you look for it.

https://mavicpilots.com/threads/ ... n.71988/post-817869
https://mavicpilots.com/threads/ ... p.81101/post-917876

2020-3-9
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

MiniMing Posted at 3-9 05:42
That’s true, you made most of them, and I see you haven’t lost your propensity for troll baiting .And accusing others of constantly having 2nd accounts, well yes this is one, but it's the only way I can comment now on mobile, and yes I've cleared it with dji forum by sending email to dji.so try checking it out just as you are constantly doing .

Cutting and pasting stuff people posted 2/3 years ago, you spend your time on this forum snooping to see if you can get info to bully others, reporting everyone except yourself that says a word out of place, taking almost all threads you come on to off topic, trying to gain support from others to cause trouble for others, who made you policeman of the forum, this is a forum about drones not about your personal grudges, when it comes to anything to do with drones your found seriously wanting so proceed to trash threads, nobody wants to continue to listen to your BS arguments, so stop the troll baiting and keep it to drones. maybe try helping others instead of constantly posting rubbish that people are ignoring , you are a bully and you've been bullying around here for to long, and everything Labroids said about you is completely correct .

"And accusing others of constantly having 2nd accounts, well yes this is  one, but it's the only way I can comment now on mobile, and yes I've  cleared it with dji forum by sending email to dji.so try checking it out  just as you are constantly doing ."

Accused others?  How about only you, and you confirmed having a 2nd account.  You also tried to justify having 2nd account by Lying about having trouble accessing your hallmark007.  With some total non-sense about some members having gotten a warning Email about logins/passwords.  An Email which everybody got.  Your next excuse was accusing me of having hacked your account, based on Wachberger having mistakenly PM'd me, a private message meant for you.   Somewhere along line you again changed up your story (aka LIED) claiming you needed 2nd account for your SmartDevice.  You went from Highsking, High King, Mini Me, to hallmark777.   

Now you have a third account (MiniMing / Mini Mm / Mini M) under excuse you have to so you can comment from your mobile.  What a utter load of road apples.  

2020-3-9
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 3-9 11:20
Think it’s clear Labroids was referring to your knowledge of drones, not just calibration, the information your looking for is contained in at least 3 different posts on this thread, the fact your having trouble finding them says he has a really good point .

Perhaps you would like to try, with technical reasons, verifiable facts, dare I say science with links?  
Instead of proclamations of being an expert, therefore everyone else is wrong.
2020-3-9
Use props
120ccpm
Second Officer
United States

Labroides Posted at 3-9 19:25
But - you have to admit - it remains a controversial topic, there's plenty of posts/opinions saying that compass should be calibrated to account for the changes in the Earth's magnetic field, from place to place.
Once upon a time, flat earth vs a globe was a controversial topic, same as earth being the centre of the universe or tectonic plate theory.
But on all those topics, the science is well understood and it's pretty clear if you are on the wrong side of the argument.

Thanks for the threads. Let me just note that even SAR104 (I remember him from my Phantom Pilots days, the other guy I don't), in the first thread you mentioned, doesn't say "it's a fact" or compares that to the Earth being flat, but rather questions the distance-based recalibration and says it "makes no sense to me under any obvious hypothesis".  He continues and says "I had been working on the assumption that it was basically an abundance of caution rather than a well thought out requirement.". Same goes for BudWalker, who talks about his "theory". They have reached their conclusions, but I would be surprised if they would not be open to other interpretations.
Speaking of which, I'll try to find one of the articles I read, where basically they were saying that the strength and direction (in 3 dimensions, as apparently it can point a bit up or down) of the Earth magnetic field had an impact on the calibration (or compensation, as I believe they call it more appropriately)  process. It's not my field by any means, but they made it sound like compensating in an area where the external magnetic field is weaker yields different results than compensating in an area where the field is stronger, and that elevation also could have an impact.
Again, my intention was not to open a scientific debate on Earth magnetism (I have a day job and other things to do in life...) but - in my opinion - there are valid arguments for location-based recalibration. And if you don't add/remove stuff from the AC, then location is the only reason why DJI should ask to recalibrate. Well, they seem to do it also after 30 days, but that's yet another story... and yet another set of theories.

As for your test, maybe the P4P has a better (less sensitive) magnetometer than the M2, or the MM. I only calibrated my P3S when flying internationally, otherwise I left it alone and never had a single issue with its compass. Solid as a rock.
2020-3-9
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

120ccpm Posted at 3-9 20:53
Thanks for the threads. Let me just note that even SAR104 (I remember him from my Phantom Pilots days, the other guy I don't), in the first thread you mentioned, doesn't say "it's a fact" or compares that to the Earth being flat, but rather questions the distance-based recalibration and says it "makes no sense to me under any obvious hypothesis".  He continues and says "I had been working on the assumption that it was basically an abundance of caution rather than a well thought out requirement.". Same goes for BudWalker, who talks about his "theory". They have reached their conclusions, but I would be surprised if they would not be open to other interpretations.

Speaking of which, I'll try to find one of the articles I read, where basically they were saying that the strength and direction (in 3 dimensions, as apparently it can point a bit up or down) of the Earth magnetic field had an impact on the calibration (or compensation, as I believe they call it more appropriately)  process. It's not my field by any means, but they made it sound like compensating in an area where the external magnetic field is weaker yields different results than compensating in an area where the field is stronger, and that elevation also could have an impact

Thanks for the threads. Let me just note that even SAR104 (I remember him from my Phantom Pilots days, the other guy I don't), in the first thread you mentioned, doesn't say "it's a fact" or compares that to the Earth being flat, but rather questions the distance-based recalibration and says it "makes no sense to me under any obvious hypothesis".  
Those were just some examples I found quickly.
He's said plenty more since, especially that he's checked everything properly and confirms that there is no physical reason.

They have reached their conclusions, but I would be surprised if they would not be open to other interpretations.
Having had plenty of communication with them, I would be more than surprised if they said anything diferent from what I've been trying (and way, way more than I wanted to) to explain.
You keep wanting to talk about this like it's still not certain, but really, it's quite certain and well known.

Speaking of which, I'll try to find one of the articles I read, where basically they were saying that the strength and direction (in 3 dimensions, as apparently it can point a bit up or down) of the Earth magnetic field had an impact on the calibration (or compensation, as I believe they call it more appropriately)  process. It's not my field by any means, but they made it sound like compensating in an area where the external magnetic field is weaker yields different results than compensating in an area where the field is stronger, and that elevation also could have an impact
Whoever suggests that doesn't properly understand what compass calibration does and what it can't do.
There's a lot of myth and misunderstanding due to the way DJI has messed up their communications on the topic.

in my opinion - there are valid arguments for location-based recalibration.
For the umpteenth time, it only identifies and measures magnetic fields associated with the drone.
It can't tell anything about location or magnetic fields beyond the drone.
Whatever is out there is what the compass will show as it's reading after the drone's magnetic fields are subtracted.
Until someone understands that, they will come up with all kinds of incorrect ideas.
If  you want clarification on that, sar is the guy that can explain in  detail why the calibration procedure cannot possibly look into things  beyond the drone itself.

And if you don't add/remove stuff from the AC, then location is the only reason why DJI should ask to recalibrate. Well, they seem to do it also after 30 days, but that's yet another story... and yet another set of theories.
And serious thinking, analysing data and testing, not just opinions or theories has proved that there is no real justifiable reason for DJI requiring the additional caliibrating.

As for your test, maybe the P4P has a better (less sensitive) magnetometer than the M2, or the MM.
No ... they are all similar and very sensitive

I've spent way too much time and effort on this which is basic understanding for how these drones work.
I shouldn't have been challenged and abused as much as I have by some people who have only just taken their brand new Mini out the box.
I've worn out my two typing fingers and don't want to go over this even more as I've spelled everything out multiple times.
If you stil doubt what I've said and want more information, go to the guys I pointed to.
If you want to ignore it all, that's your perogative.
As a working scientist, I can't do that and need to find the truth to know what I'm doing.

2020-3-9
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

Thanks for the threads. Let me just note that even SAR104 (I remember him from my Phantom Pilots days, the other guy I don't), in the first thread you mentioned, doesn't say "it's a fact" or compares that to the Earth being flat, but rather questions the distance-based recalibration and says it "makes no sense to me under any obvious hypothesis".  He continues and says "I had been working on the assumption that it was basically an abundance of caution rather than a well thought out requirement.". Same goes for BudWalker, who talks about his "theory". They have reached their conclusions, but I would be surprised if they would not be open to other interpretations.
Speaking of which, I'll try to find one of the articles I read, where basically they were saying that the strength and direction (in 3 dimensions, as apparently it can point a bit up or down) of the Earth magnetic field had an impact on the calibration (or compensation, as I believe they call it more appropriately)  process. It's not my field by any means, but they made it sound like compensating in an area where the external magnetic field is weaker yields different results than compensating in an area where the field is stronger, and that elevation also could have an impact
Again, my intention was not to open a scientific debate on Earth magnetism (I have a day job and other things to do in life...) but - in my opinion - there are valid arguments for location-based recalibration. And if you don't add/remove stuff from the AC, then location is the only reason why DJI should ask to recalibrate. Well, they seem to do it also after 30 days, but that's yet another story... and yet another set of theories.

"Well, they seem to do it also after 30 days, but that's yet another story... and yet another set of theories."

And that one is good reason to question whether they know sufficient about earth magnetism. As as far as I can see, time has no influence on the process at all. Now I may very well be wrong, but I am willing to hear any argument that can throw light on the time element.
2020-3-9
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

Geebax Posted at 3-9 21:17
"Well, they seem to do it also after 30 days, but that's yet another story... and yet another set of theories."

And that one is good reason to question whether they know sufficient about earth magnetism. As as far as I can see, time has no influence on the process at all. Now I may very well be wrong, but I am willing to hear any argument that can throw light on the time element.

Time is a factor with Earth's magnetic field.  Below is a screen snapshot of NOAA's NCEI Earth Magnetic Field model output which is used for Navigation with compasses.

Earth Magnetic Field for LA over a year

Earth Magnetic Field for LA over a year

Link to NOAA's NCEI - Magnetic Field Calculator

2020-3-9
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

Speaking of which, I'll try to find one of the articles I read, where basically they were saying that the strength and direction (in 3 dimensions, as apparently it can point a bit up or down) of the Earth magnetic field had an impact on the calibration (or compensation, as I believe they call it more appropriately)  process. It's not my field by any means, but they made it sound like compensating in an area where the external magnetic field is weaker yields different results than compensating in an area where the field is stronger, and that elevation also could have an impact.
Again, my intention was not to open a scientific debate on Earth magnetism (I have a day job and other things to do in life...) but - in my opinion - there are valid arguments for location-based recalibration. And if you don't add/remove stuff from the AC, then location is the only reason why DJI should ask to recalibrate. Well, they seem to do it also after 30 days, but that's yet another story... and yet another set of theories.

"and that elevation also could have an impact"

According to NOAA's NCEI Geomagnetic Calculator, elevation does have an impact.  Input defaults to sea-level, but you can enter a GPS elevation.
Tested calculator based on 950 meter change in altitude, and results were diffrent.  

2020-3-9
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 3-9 21:49
"and that elevation also could have an impact"

According to NOAA's NCEI Geomagnetic Calculator, elevation does have an impact.  Input defaults to sea-level, but you can enter a GPS elevation.

Time is a factor with Earth's magnetic field.  Below is a screen snapshot of NOAA's NCEI Earth Magnetic Field model output which is used for Navigation with compasses.

According to NOAA's NCEI Geomagnetic Calculator, elevation does have an impact.

Uh-huh ... except I can't find the part where NOAA explained how this is at all relevant to calibrating your drone compass.
If you'd read a little of the preceding pages, you should realise by now that calibrating your drone's compass only measures your drone's magnetic fields.
It doesn't measure anything about the drone's surroundings.
The earth's magnetic field changes with your location and time and measuring that is what your compass does.
Calibrating your compass just makes sure that it can measure the earth's magnetic field without the distraction of the magnetic fields which are part of the drone.

Now if there was just some way to eliminate the constant distraction from people who have no idea what they are talking about (but don't realise it).
Try to pay attention and if you really are out of your depth on the topic, don't assume you know it all.
Please don't make me wear out my typing fingers any more unless you have something that's actually relevant.

2020-3-9
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

Labroides Posted at 3-9 21:59

The earth's magnetic field changes with your location and time and measuring that is what your compass does.
Calibrating your compass just makes sure that it can measure the earth's magnetic field without the distraction of the magnetic fields which are part of the drone.

Your second statement is in conflict with purpose stated in first statement.  When you calibrate drone's compass, it is detecting the earth's magnetic using sensors for XYZ axis, with drone in two different orientations, along with any devations caused by drone itself.   Drone's internal magnetic field sensors don't change their XYZ axis in relation to drone.   But do change in relation to earth's magnetic field between first orientation and second.

Compass (XYZ magnetic field sensors) which have not been calibrated to take into effect Earth's magnetic field for present (aka date/time) location, is not going to accurately reflect Magnetic North.  How critical deviation from Magnetic North is, is an unknown since DJI has not gone into details and what DJI has published has been conflicted.

However, DJI calling for their drone's compass(es) to be calibrated when drone is moved more than ## miles or has not been calibrated in last 30-days, is backed by NOAA's NCEI Geomagnetic Calculator's Input of Longitude, Latitude, Elevation, Start / End Date - output being different when one of values is sufficentty changed.

2020-3-9
Use props
Anno
lvl.2
Flight distance : 761171 ft
Spain

On a happier note, my new MM arrived this morning. Never again shall I fly without the app. Peace and love to you all (yes, all).
Anno out.....
2020-3-10
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 3-9 20:47
Perhaps you would like to try, with technical reasons, verifiable facts, dare I say science with links?  
Instead of proclamations of being an expert, therefore everyone else is wrong.

Your completely wrong as usual.
You spend your time on this forum trying to prove others wrong, not wit Your knowledge but ridiculous cut and paste documents pulled straight from the internet, no good if you haven’t got a clue what they even mean.
Your contribution on this forum is to tell others that DRONE PHOTOGRAPHY IS NOT REAL PHOTOGRAPHY, another ridiculous statement.
On 3 posts here yesterday you tried to troll bait as this seems to be your new forte for causing trouble, but your now getting it thick, nothing less than you deserve, your not interested in helping anyone here, your here for you’re  own selfish reasons, knock dji when you can, continue to tell users they bought crap etc etc.
You told a story of recently trying to launch from mag interference area, but couldn’t, then happened to find a child’s plastic plate to launch off, you forgot that you have relayed that story many times over the last two years, I remember because somebody suggested if he knew anything about drones he could just have hand launched, so again you know nothing about drones.

You post the largest colorful font size, which just reminds everybody of the proverbial big mouthed yank trying to throw his weight around, why not try to print like everyone else.

You’ve been around here to long cutting and pasting and you do this because of your inadequacy and sheer lack of knowledge, you prefer to go hunting others who give up their time to help those who are looking for help, this you can’t be bothered with because you don’t know anything and it might take to long to trawl the internet for answers, so you’d rather spend you’re time trying to prove those who are genuinely trying to help , that’s your game . And your chickens have come home to roost.
2020-3-10
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 3-9 23:01

However, DJI calling for their drone's compass(es) to be calibrated when drone is moved more than ## miles or has not been calibrated in last 30-days, is backed by NOAA's NCEI Geomagnetic Calculator's Input of Longitude, Latitude, Elevation, Start / End Date - output being different when one of values is sufficentty changed.

Ok you know this. So let’s ask the guy who knows everything about compass in dji craft and how dji have adopted NOAA PRINCIBLE. and you won’t need to go to internet for this.

Why no calibration for P4 pro prov, ? “maybe nobody travels with these”
Why only some Mavic air calibrate every flight?
Why no calibrate with Spark?
Why change Mavic Pro to calibrate every 11k not 50 like other drones?
Why from day 1 Mavic pro manual state ONLY CALIBRATE WHEN PROMPTED ? But now same craft calibrate every 11k
Why For some M2 calibrate every flight others don’t need to calibrate at all and some every x amount of miles ?
Why some mini calibrate every flight and some only when prompted, some every now and then?

So this is djis new formula for calibration of drones according to Hedgetrimmer, so maybe we’ll ask him to explain.
This guy spends all his time on this forum second guessing others, mostly myself always asking for proof always asking where you got your information, so this time clock has turned and it’s time for him to give a credible explanation , instead of continually trolling and badgering others for proof answers.

Shoes on the other foot now, let’s see his array of homegrown knowledge he can give us on this topic, I think people are completely fed up with his constant need to badger others for answers continually try to catch them out, so he has his turn now let’s see how he does.

I will say his usual mantra is, he doesn’t have to prove anything, so let’s see if he can say some more than this .My guess is he knows nothing about NOAA NCEI just something he again pulled from wiki or similar and thought it fit, it certainly seems strange dji would change there system for one that works as ridiculous as this one. We're waiting .
2020-3-10
Use props
ABeardedItalian
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1063107 ft
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 3-10 04:08

Why change Mavic Pro to calibrate every 11k not 50 like other drones?
Why from day 1 Mavic pro manual state ONLY CALIBRATE WHEN PROMPTED ? But now same craft calibrate every 11k
Why For some M2 calibrate every flight others don’t need to calibrate at all and some every x amount of miles ?
Why some mini calibrate every flight and some only when prompted, some every now and then?

120ccpm said it best:
Having inconsistent info in a manual is one thing, and it happens all the times in software because documentation is not written by the same engineers who developed a product/feature, but by tech writers who usually have partial knowledge of how things really work.

Unless we get a DJI Engineer to elaborate and explain the discrepancies across the line up it's too UN-predictable.  

Like Lab has said it's a math issue: Earth magnet is a reading of 8, the drone has a magnetic interference of 4, what does the compass read? If you answered 12 you are wrong, the answer is 8 as the Drone subtracts it's own interference. It's still relying upon Earth's magnetic field as it's just removing X amount of known interference so that the compass has a chance of working correctly.

The only sound thing we can do is listen to the App, if you and your opinion differ from the app that's Okay and you are welcome to do so but the rest of us will follow suit and just deal with DJI's and it's quirks.
2020-3-10
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

ABeardedItalian Posted at 3-10 04:26

This is not a translation problem, this is a mish mash made up load of baloney , I have watched this going on now for years and as someone said when dji P4pro manual came out and clear instructions to calibrate ONLY WHEN PROMPTED, this gave reassurance and made most sense, first it gave users the confidence to know that compass would report if there was a problem, but it is always pilots responsibility to make sure his craft is in good working health, simple and straight forward, and works on the principle that most drone flyers know it should.
This was also introduced into Mavic pro and spark, and the came a change from left field with Mavic Air and continued with M2 and mini.
The irony is, that with nearly all manuals, your safety and disclaimer manuals still repeat this CALIBRATE ONLY WHEN PROMPTED, including the latest dji mini S&D manual, and for those who don’t bother with it, it’s actually probably you’re most important manual and relays to all users what they should and shouldn’t do to protect the safety of others the safety of property and the protection of their warranty.

So what are we to trust, and yes this goes back to what you’re saying, and it’s something thats been discussed many times on this forum, but remains the same, and yes something needs to be done .
2020-3-10
Use props
ABeardedItalian
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1063107 ft
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 3-10 04:41
This is not a translation problem, this is a mish mash made up load of baloney , I have watched this going on now for years and as someone said when dji P4pro manual came out and clear instructions to calibrate ONLY WHEN PROMPTED, this gave reassurance and made most sense, first it gave users the confidence to know that compass would report if there was a problem, but it is always pilots responsibility to make sure his craft is in good working health, simple and straight forward, and works on the principle that most drone flyers know it should.
This was also introduced into Mavic pro and spark, and the came a change from left field with Mavic Air and continued with M2 and mini.
The irony is, that with nearly all manuals, your safety and disclaimer manuals still repeat this CALIBRATE ONLY WHEN PROMPTED, including the latest dji mini S&D manual, and for those who don’t bother with it, it’s actually probably you’re most important manual and relays to all users what they should and shouldn’t do to protect the safety of others the safety of property and the protection of their warranty.

It is a translation issue, the correct information is not making it to the consumer.

Every post before this thread and those after it, unless we have an official post from a DJI Engineer it's all here say. When posts get like this a company locks these threads or responds with the correct information once and for all. DJI is happy to say nothing and to continue releasing products regardless how confused it leaves it's customers.

DJI is ran like most software forums, If there's an issue the mods will report it to the devlopers. Otherwise the Devs never hear or see anything from the community, it's very rare to have a devloper take time away to speak to the customer. If it's needed they can and do but otherwise the Job of the Staff is to midigate their time from things like this.

Instead of kicking the already dead horse, how about we start a new thread demanding to hear from a DJI Engineer who can finally answer everyone, do it like a Reddit ask me almost anything. Get a list of the most asked questions and lay it out for them to answer.

Until we hear from the engineering department directly everything is lost in translation unfortunately.
2020-3-10
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

ABeardedItalian Posted at 3-10 06:05
It is a translation issue, the correct information is not making it to the consumer.

Every post before this thread and those after it, unless we have an official post from a DJI Engineer it's all here say. When posts get like this a company locks these threads or responds with the correct information once and for all. DJI is happy to say nothing and to continue releasing products regardless how confused it leaves it's customers.

I could understand translation problem and would agree accept to say that these manuals are constantly changing and while compass in each craft may be slightly different, the need and process of calibration is basically the same for all compass.

There are many posts here based on sound footing and correct on how a compass behaves and works in Italy as it does in Timbuktu, so I don’t agree that it’s all here say .
However what dji are trying to do is something no one is privy to and anything said on that is most likely here say .

I won’t knock your idea it’s a pretty sound one and there was a time that moderators would collaborate between members and engineers on topics just like this, some moderators with real knowledge on how dji drones worked, but of late that’s all changed, not sure if it’s because of the need for secrecy or just refusal to engage, but it’s a pity and yes threads would not end up this way if basic knowledge was passed on.
I certainly support your idea of asking, don’t want to put a dampener on it, and nothing ventured nothing gained .
2020-3-10
Use props
120ccpm
Second Officer
United States

Labroides Posted at 3-9 21:14
Thanks for the threads. Let me just note that even SAR104 (I remember him from my Phantom Pilots days, the other guy I don't), in the first thread you mentioned, doesn't say "it's a fact" or compares that to the Earth being flat, but rather questions the distance-based recalibration and says it "makes no sense to me under any obvious hypothesis".  
Those were just some examples I found quickly.
He's said plenty more since, especially that he's checked everything properly and confirms that there is no physical reason.

Reached out to SAR, he's pretty confident there is no scientific basis for the calibration process itself to be affected by the (changing) Earth's magnetic field. I quote: the earth's field, in terms of strength and direction, has no effect at all on the calibration process.

I rest my case, and I accept that all logical thinking goes against DJI's decision to force recalibration based on time and location. Maybe (but I doubt) one day we'll learn directly from them why they subjected their users to this (little) annoyance, if they had no reasons.
2020-3-10
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

120ccpm Posted at 3-10 08:37
Reached out to SAR, he's pretty confident there is no scientific basis for the calibration process itself to be affected by the (changing) Earth's magnetic field. I quote: the earth's field, in terms of strength and direction, has no effect at all on the calibration process.

I rest my case, and I accept that all logical thinking goes against DJI's decision to force recalibration based on time and location. Maybe (but I doubt) one day we'll learn directly from them why they subjected their users to this (little) annoyance, if they had no reasons.

Finally a bit of common sense. All this could have been laid to rest some time ago by ackowledging that at no part of the compass calibration process is there a stage where you tell the aircraft where North is located. And without that stage it is not possible to calibrate the compass to take into account magnetic variations in the earth's magnetic field. So it does not matter where you move the aircraft to or how long since the last "calibration" as it is not possible to "calibrate" for that variation.
2020-3-10
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 3-10 04:08

Not playing your baby Troll game.
You have been called out twice recently by several members, and you ran away with your tail tucked between your legs.  

Put your cards on table.  

2020-3-10
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

Geebax Posted at 3-10 13:05
Finally a bit of common sense. All this could have been laid to rest some time ago by ackowledging that at no part of the compass calibration process is there a stage where you tell the aircraft where North is located. And without that stage it is not possible to calibrate the compass to take into account magnetic variations in the earth's magnetic field. So it does not matter where you move the aircraft to or how long since the last "calibration" as it is not possible to "calibrate" for that variation.

Sounds good, till you realize when calibrating electronic compass in a car or smartphone, you don't tell compasses which way is north.
2020-3-10
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

Labroides Posted at 3-9 23:20
Please just sit this one out and wait until something comes up that you can intelligently comment on.

>>The earth's magnetic field changes with your location and time and measuring that is what your compass does.

Suggest you follow your own advice.  You clearly are out of your one narrow area of expertise.  Stick with analyzing flight logs.

You pointed me to supposed evidence to back your position, but you failed to read it.  Not my fault, your own supposed evidence did not back your position.

Gotcha was your own doing, two statements you wrote were in conflict.  You clearly don't understand Earth's magnetic field, compasses, and sources of magnetic interference.

You can repeat yourself a thousand times, but it does not change facts.  Calibrating compasses compensates for differences between Earth's magnetic field which is different by date/time, altitude, and longitude/latitude and can compensate, within reason, for drone's magnetic field.

Do you seriously believe so much international effort and time has been put into creating Earth magnetic field model, improving math of model, updating database; because it is not important to navigation of ships and planes, and was done for heck of it?
2020-3-10
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

ABeardedItalian Posted at 3-10 06:05

Every post before this thread and those after it, unless we have an official post from a DJI Engineer it's all here say. When posts get like this a company locks these threads or responds with the correct information once and for all. DJI is happy to say nothing and to continue releasing products regardless how confused it leaves it's customers.

"Instead of kicking the already dead horse, how about we start a new thread demanding to hear from a DJI Engineer who can finally answer everyone,"

Good luck.  Never seen any DJI Engineer clarify technical matters.  You will be lucky to get an acknowledgement of topic.   

2020-3-10
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

Labroides Posted at 3-10 20:30
You can repeat yourself a thousand times, but it does not change facts.
I can repeat myself a thousand times but nothing gets through your thick skull.
Communicating with you is wasted effort.

Thus far:
1) your one piece of supposed evidence you offered, wasn't
2) you repeated proclaim others wrong
3) you insult people

Like I said to hallmark007, aka High King, aka MiniMing, aka David - Put your cards on table.

2020-3-10
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

Labroides Posted at 3-9 21:59

"If you'd read a little of the preceding pages, you should realise by now  that calibrating your drone's compass only measures your drone's  magnetic fields."
"It doesn't measure anything about the drone's surroundings."

If what you stated was true, then it would not matter where you calibrated your drone's compass.   Yet DJI manual (along with other documents, and testing); makes it clear it does matter.

[size=8.000000pt]DO NOT calibrate your compass where there is a chance of strong magnetic interference, such as magnetite, parking structures, and steel reinforcements underground.

[size=8.000000pt]DO NOT calibrate the compass near metal objects such as a metal bridge, cars, scaffolding.

[size=8.000000pt]Choose an open area to carry out the following procedure...

2020-3-10
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

Labroides Posted at 3-10 20:30
Do you seriously believe so much international effort and time has been  put into creating Earth magnetic field model, improving math of model,  updating database; because it is not important to navigation of ships  and planes, and was done for heck of it?
Of course understanding the earth's magnetic field is important to navigation.
But you are still completely ignorant of what calibrating a DJI drone's  compass does or how your gotcha is completely irrelevant to anything in  this thread.

" Every post you make just confirms again how you are a pig-ignorant troll."

David's doppelgänger from down under.  

2020-3-10
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 3-10 20:44
Thus far:

You don't have the comprehension or inteligence to be discussing the topic

You are repeatedly wrong

3) you insult people
If only you had the intelligence, you'd see how your ridiculous posts insult yourself.

2020-3-10
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 3-10 19:58
Sounds good, till you realize when calibrating electronic compass in a car or smartphone, you don't tell compasses which way is north.

OK, let's try it another way. How does the compass know where true north is located when it is in a region of significant deviation?
2020-3-10
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 3-10 19:58

Hey genius  .. isn't that the same as when calibrating the compass in your drone?
Maybe it would help if you did some research and found out what calibrating the compass actually does?
If only there was somewhere you could find that information .......

Of course the problem is that you'd have to be able to read and understand it.
2020-3-10
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 3-10 19:52
Not playing your baby Troll game.
You have been called out twice recently by several members, and you ran away with your tail tucked between your legs.  

Your problem is you haven’t a clue what your saying, because all you've done was trawl the internet to see if you could pick up anything that might show what everyone now believes is correct , "except you" because your somehow trying te redesign the wheel.

I put my cards on the table, in fact it was I who was the first to say how I believed compass worked with drones, and I was correct.

You're just a waffler, you’ve been waffling around here for to long, you spend your time snooping on people to the extent you try snooping into their private lives, "you're  not interested in helping anyone" your interest is trying to pick the bones of what others are saying.
But once again as in most of these threads "you pushed the self destruct button" no way out and try to continue to flog a dead horse, "accept and move on" not troll people here on this forum as well as outside this forum.

Your ideas are crackpot, and that’s why you can’t answer any questions about them, and your MO has always been attack what others say make them prove what their saying, loosing the bigger picture here and that is these people are trying to help others," focus on that instead of being the forum snoop "
2020-3-11
Use props
AlansDronePics
First Officer
Flight distance : 814751 ft
Guernsey

hallmark007 Posted at 3-8 14:38
I already explained about what happens, I also explained in the air in atti mode, I dont really have the time to go back and forth only for you to do as you did with compass simply not accept .
So I’ll show you video below, you will see around 48sec compass goes into slight yaw left craft drops gps goes to atti mode, controller turns craft around still in atti mode, you will clearly see compass in atti mode turn around 360 to face home in atti mode, before recovering to Rth .

As you know, I am looking at as much info regarding compass error issues.
Thanks for finding this.
I wondered if you can explain why the distance out from TO (266) remains fixed at the moment of the error although the arrow on map shows forward and back movement. Later, still in error, the distance decreases numerically and on the map.
I wonder why the value of 266 remains fixed for a while, then starts to change.
Any ideas?
2020-3-11
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

AlansDronePics Posted at 3-11 06:58
As you know, I am looking at as much info regarding compass error issues.
Thanks for finding this.
I wondered if you can explain why the distance out from TO (266) remains fixed at the moment of the error although the arrow on map shows forward and back movement. Later, still in error, the distance decreases numerically and on the map.

I presume loss of gps no data being recorded can’t be 100% sure but I presume that’s it.
2020-3-11
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules