Mini Flyaway When Not Connected to App??!!!!!
10782 246 2020-3-6
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
m80116
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3264131 ft
Italy

hallmark007 Posted at 3-6 14:49
No guess and drone will only choose atti when opti is not available.

Cinematic and sport and P are speed modes different than flying modes .

I did forget to answer with your quote... since you've managed to already mess up the thread. So here it remains as a testament of your knowledge.
So people can quickly tell what kind of knowledge you have... beyond your gentleman manners.
2020-3-6
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

m80116 Posted at 3-6 14:57
I did forget to answer with your quote... since you've managed to already mess up the thread. So here it remains as a testament of your knowledge.
So people can quickly tell what kind of knowledge you have... beyond your gentleman manners.

It’s those who constantly give out incorrect information that mess up threads, but rather than admit and move on , it seems they show their manners by insulting those who are correct, it shows a deep innate ability to make an admission of getting something wrong, so maybe refrain from insulting others it shows a real lack of manners on your part .
Having read the thread it seems a great many are perplexed by you continued need to issue false information.
2020-3-6
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

m80116 Posted at 3-6 14:29
True, untrue, your're WRONG, you don't KNOW... HOW DO YOU DARE FLYING !? What has it got into these people minds!? How the heck can you relate to others with such an ATTITUDE !?
I think you could use a course of good manners.

'True, untrue, your're WRONG, you don't KNOW... HOW DO YOU DARE FLYING !? What has it got into these people minds!? How the heck can you relate to others with such an ATTITUDE !?
I think you could use a course of good manners.'

Get off your high horse, there was nothing rude about my reply. You do not understand the use of the compass in the aircraft, nor do you understand the need or principle of compass calibration. It is NOT done to 'correct' for local magnetic variations as you suggest, as they have virtually no effect on the flying characteristics of the aircraft. It is done to allow the aircraft to identify which parts of the aircraft that do exert magnetic influence on the compass belong to the aircraft and which magnetic influences are due to the environment.
2020-3-6
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

m80116 Posted at 3-6 14:29
True, untrue, your're WRONG, you don't KNOW... HOW DO YOU DARE FLYING !? What has it got into these people minds!? How the heck can you relate to others with such an ATTITUDE !?
I think you could use a course of good manners.

Again, this information is incorrect, your drone does need compass in atti mode " how will it know which direction it's going in"
2020-3-6
Use props
Anno
lvl.2
Flight distance : 761171 ft
Spain

Labroides Posted at 3-6 13:21
It's my understanding that you can't set a home point if you aren't connected to the app, and therefore RTH will not work.
You have very little understanding of how your drone works.
The drone recorde a home point very soon after you power it on, whether you have the app connected or not.

Well excuse me for having very little understanding of how my drone works when I've only had it a week!!!
I have to say, your attitude that you seem to know everything about everything is really quite rude. It is quite obvious from my posts that my hands were not on the control sticks when my Mini flew away, so whether you think that is possible or not is really not relevant because it happened. I have better things to do than invent stories of lost drones.

Anyway, thanks to those of you that had something constructive to say and it's probably best to leave it there. The drone is lost, someone will probably find it and think it's Christmas and I just hope it's someone who will appreciate it. Assuming they can activate and fly it that is.

I will say it one last time, I will NEVER fly without the app again. :-)
2020-3-6
Use props
Steven So
lvl.3
Flight distance : 10010 ft
Hong Kong

Learn a lesson #2:  you should put your phone number and email address on the drone.  If someone found it,  he may contact you.
2020-3-7
Use props
m80116
Second Officer
Italy

hallmark007 Posted at 3-6 16:24
Again, this information is incorrect, your drone does need compass in atti mode " how will it know which direction it's going in"

Thank you professor.
MM compass calib.JPG
2020-3-7
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

m80116 Posted at 3-7 02:50
Thank you professor.

That frankly has nothing to do with atti mode needing compass,

You said atti mode doesn’t need compass WRONG.

you highlighted not to calibrate compass indoors, that is absolute and to do so and fly outdoors would be detrimental.

You should also make a point of reading your safety and disclaimer manual. Which is probably your most important manual.
I remember you insulted two experienced members for attempting to help you with good advice, I now see your chickens are coming home to roost .

2020-3-7
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 12225059 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Now i am totally lost.....

Due to large compass errors DJI drones switches to ATTI mode, thus in ATTI mode use of compass data is disabled.

AFAIK : in ATTI mode only the attitude (pitch/roll) is controlled by the FC, height is maintained by barometric sensor signal use.

How to fly back in ATTI to your position : manual fly back and in LOS you can see how to steer back.If not in LOS and compass indication is offset due to its errors : OMG  better land the craft!

cheers
JJB
2020-3-7
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Anno Posted at 3-6 18:16
Well excuse me for having very little understanding of how my drone works when I've only had it a week!!!
I have to say, your attitude that you seem to know everything about everything is really quite rude. It is quite obvious from my posts that my hands were not on the control sticks when my Mini flew away, so whether you think that is possible or not is really not relevant because it happened. I have better things to do than invent stories of lost drones.

It’s not only about what you say, there are no logs here and impossible to tell what happened, but what you’re getting is 20 different things that could have happened, so really no help to you and less help to others looking to learn.
So instead of the conspiracy theories are you not better ruling out the guessing here, learning from your mistakes we know about, gaining the knowledge that will help you avoid similar in future, there are so many here that will fill your head with needless rubbish that will never do you any good, are you not better listening to those who are actually giving you correct information, something you can rely on going forward .
2020-3-7
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello and good day Anno. I am sorry to read and to know what happened to your previous flight with your DJI Mavic Mini. Since this unfortunate incident happened. Kindly please contact out DJI Support Team for further assistance at https://www.dji.com/support?site=brandsite&from=nav. We would our best to find out the reason of the incident and then the corresponding resolution would be provided. Again I am sorry for your loss and thank you for your understanding.
2020-3-7
Use props
120ccpm
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1396755 ft
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 3-6 16:24

That seems to be incorrect: the manual clearly lists "compass interference" as one the reasons for the AC to switch to ATTI mode. My understanding is that ATTI mode basically means that the drone, for a reason or another, does not really know where it's going, thus relying on the pilot.
Having said that, manual is not completely clear on the subject... I took a quick look again, but I don't see anywhere explained that RTH (for example) would not work in ATTI mode.
2020-3-7
Use props
120ccpm
Second Officer
United States

Geebax Posted at 3-6 16:13
'True, untrue, your're WRONG, you don't KNOW... HOW DO YOU DARE FLYING !? What has it got into these people minds!? How the heck can you relate to others with such an ATTITUDE !?
I think you could use a course of good manners.'

It is NOT done to 'correct' for local magnetic variations as you suggest, as they have virtually no effect on the flying characteristics of the aircraft. It is done to allow the aircraft to identify which parts of the aircraft that do exert magnetic influence on the compass belong to the aircraft and which magnetic influences are due to the environment.

Actually, compass calibration is done precisely to account for magnetic variations in the Earth's magnetic field, and that's exactly why the manual recommends to do it  when you moved more than 50km from where the AC was last flown. If there are "magnetic influences due to the environment", you should definitely not calibrate the compass, as that's basically recipe for disaster. Again, manual is very clear on this point too.
2020-3-7
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

120ccpm Posted at 3-7 08:37
That seems to be incorrect: the manual clearly lists "compass interference" as one the reasons for the AC to switch to ATTI mode. My understanding is that ATTI mode basically means that the drone, for a reason or another, does not really know where it's going, thus relying on the pilot.
Having said that, manual is not completely clear on the subject... I took a quick look again, but I don't see anywhere explained that RTH (for example) would not work in ATTI mode.

That’s not wrong, craft need direction and this only can be achieved if compass is working correctly, if what your saying was true then why would you ever need a compass If controller could steer craft without compass.

Your craft mini is designed exactly the same as all dji craft and if there is conflict data craft will always favour compass while dropping gps, because craft can fly without gps but not compass.

Compass interference is correct, but your craft intervenes to try to get compass back on track, I will explain exactly what happens when you get compass interference on the ground below.

Maybe you can enlighten us how craft knows which direction to go in without compass.

The best way I can explain this is. If you put your Aircraft on the ground in normal circumstances, start it up, then lift it up and turn it 90 degrees to the right both your compass heading and IMU will both move together 90 degrees and no problems.
If you put your Aircraft on the ground and there is magnetic interference only the heading of your compass will change, your aircraft will still take off. But when it clears magnetic interference compass will then move to correct heading which you would think was great. But No, what happens is IMU is then conflicted and confused because of this sudden movement by compass, so you receive IMU exceptional heading warning, your aircraft cannot deal with data conflict so decides to switch to Atti mode dropping gps in favour of compass simply because aircraft can fly without gps but not compass.
2020-3-7
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Rth needs gps to work there is no gps when craft is in atti mode, simply craft has no clue without gps where to go . A78B109E-AE6D-448B-A314-D02A76243225.jpeg
2020-3-7
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Netherlands

Hi 120ccpm,

In ATTI no RTH possible when drone is switched to ATTI due to errors/weak signals.

cheers
JJB
ATTI2.png
ATTI1.png
2020-3-7
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

120ccpm Posted at 3-7 08:52
It is NOT done to 'correct' for local magnetic variations as you suggest, as they have virtually no effect on the flying characteristics of the aircraft. It is done to allow the aircraft to identify which parts of the aircraft that do exert magnetic influence on the compass belong to the aircraft and which magnetic influences are due to the environment.

Actually, compass calibration is done precisely to account for magnetic variations in the Earth's magnetic field, and that's exactly why the manual recommends to do it  when you moved more than 50km from where the AC was last flown. If there are "magnetic influences due to the environment", you should definitely not calibrate the compass, as that's basically recipe for disaster. Again, manual is very clear on this point too.

Read post 49 .
2020-3-7
Use props
120ccpm
Second Officer
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 3-7 08:52
That’s not wrong, craft need direction and this only can be achieved if compass is working correctly, if what your saying was true then why would you ever need a compass If controller could steer craft without compass.

Your craft mini is designed exactly the same as all dji craft and if there is conflict between compass an gps you craft will always favour compass while dropping gps, because craft can fly without gps but not compass.

First, if you expect me to respond to you, drop your attitude and change tone.

Maybe you can enlighten us how craft knows which direction to go in without compass.
It does not, and that's exactly what ATTI mode is. It's you saying that compass is required in ATTI mode, manual clearly says the opposite: if compass fails, AC switches to ATTI automatically.

You also keep repeating that "AC can fly without GPS but not compass"... could you articulate what you mean with "fly"? If it's staying up in the air and respond to pilot inputs, no GPS or compass is required... plenty of drones that have neither.
2020-3-7
Use props
120ccpm
Second Officer
United States

Read it. It has nothing to do with my response to Geebax.
2020-3-7
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

120ccpm Posted at 3-7 09:20
First, if you expect me to respond to you, drop your attitude and change tone.

You haven’t responded except to continue to disagree , I asked how you thought craft got it’s direction without compass, that’s a straight question , considering your open gambit was I had written something “that seems incorrect” so asking that question at least deserves an answer if you have one, my thinking is you don’t understand atti mode, but just like opti and gps in order for direction craft needs compass, with regards to interference I already explained first how it can happen and secondly the chain of events used by craft to insure your compass can operate.

In atti mode pilot has full control of craft but craft no longer has any hold except for altitude which is held by barometric pressure. Craft responds to controller movements but now movements are pretty much like sport without gps so no breaking , craft is now propelled by stick movements and the propulsion of craft, conditions will invariably make handling craft much more difficult many pilots give up because they think craft is flying away but stick movements need to be more and more frequent and landing unless in a very open space is much more difficult, Rth doesn’t work because no gps and this is clear in the manual,

Your correct craft goes to atti mode if interference to compass, I clearly explained this and what occurs from the interference and how the craft manages this situation, the manual says craft compass detects interference and it goes to atti mode and all that is correct, but in order to fly in the correct direction in atti craft needs a working compass.
2020-3-7
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

120ccpm Posted at 3-7 09:34
Read it. It has nothing to do with my response to Geebax.

It clearly says DONT CALIBRATE UNTIL PROMPTED.
I own a Mavic pro, 4 years I have calibrated it once, I have travelled many many thousands of miles and never calibrated and my compass is fine, I believe geebax point was you cannot make a good compass better by calibration .
2020-3-7
Use props
120ccpm
Second Officer
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 3-7 10:01
It clearly says DONT CALIBRATE UNTIL PROMPTED.
I own a Mavic pro, 4 years I have calibrated it once, I have travelled many many thousands of miles and never calibrated and my compass is fine, I believe geebax point was you cannot make a good compass better by calibration .

It also says (see screenshot posted on #48) that it's recommended to calibrate if flying at a location further than 50km from the last one. I recently traveled to Europe with my MM and I'm pretty sure - but not certain - the app prompted me to calibrate the compass when I got there and when I got back to the US.

The topic of compass calibration has been discussed a million times on the forums, with some people swearing it must be done every time, and others saying the opposite. With my P3S I did it only when flying hundreds of miles from last location, and never had an issue.

The compass might require calibration for other reasons (and the app will tell you when it's needed) but the recommendation from DJI related to distance from last flight is because of the changes in Earth's magnetic field. And if you get a compass interference warning, the last thing you need to do is calibrate the compass to compensate.
2020-3-7
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

120ccpm Posted at 3-7 10:15
It also says (see screenshot posted on #48) that it's recommended to calibrate if flying at a location further than 50km from the last one. I recently traveled to Europe with my MM and I'm pretty sure - but not certain - the app prompted me to calibrate the compass when I got there and when I got back to the US.

The topic of compass calibration has been discussed a million times on the forums, with some people swearing it must be done every time, and others saying the opposite. With my P3S I did it only when flying hundreds of miles from last location, and never had an issue.

There is never any need to calibrate your compass and that’s why in spark manual in P4pro manual the specifically ask only calibrate when prompted, in Mavic pro they changed this to 11km yes 11 km, in all safety and disclaimer manuals they tell you only when prompted, so that’s a clear indication that dji have no clue, but unless you add or remove something from your drone calibration will make no difference.
I have 2x M2 and air and they continually ask for calibration because dji have now forced this in all new craft so calibrate or don’t fly, that doesn’t mean it’s right,

If you get compass interference you just shut down craft and move, not as many do just move craft without turning off.
I’m not sure why a compass would require calibration, compass doesn’t go bad , if it’s broken it’s broken , if it’s good it’s good can’t make better
2020-3-7
Use props
120ccpm
Second Officer
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 3-7 09:58
You haven’t responded except to continue to disagree , I asked how you thought craft got it’s direction without compass, that’s a straight question , considering your open gambit was I had written something “that seems incorrect” so asking that question at least deserves an answer if you have one, my thinking is you don’t understand atti mode, but just like opti and gps in order for direction craft needs compass, with regards to interference I already explained first how it can happen and secondly the chain of events used by craft to insure your compass can operate.

In atti mode pilot has full control of craft but craft no longer has any hold except for altitude which is held by barometric pressure. Craft responds to controller movements but now movements are pretty much like sport without gps so no breaking , craft is now propelled by stick movements and the propulsion of craft, conditions will invariably make handling craft much more difficult many pilots give up because they think craft is flying away but stick movements need to be more and more frequent and landing unless in a very open space is much more difficult, Rth doesn’t work because no gps and this is clear in the manual,

I asked how you thought craft got it’s direction without compass, that’s a straight question , considering your open gambit was I had written something “that seems incorrect” so asking that question at least deserves an answer if you have one.

I already responded to your question, very clearly, in post #59, and I said that without compass, the AC does not know its direction. We all agree on this. What we don't agree on, is your statement about the compass being REQUIRED in ATTI mode. Your logic is flawed... you accept that without compass the AC goes in ATTI mode, then you say ATTI needs compass.

my thinking is you don’t understand atti mode

You clearly don't, when you say "in order to fly in the correct direction in atti craft needs a working compass". In ATTI mode, the AC is not able to fly in the correct direction. That's exactly what ATTI is.

If you disagree, that's ok. Let's move on.
2020-3-7
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

120ccpm Posted at 3-7 10:43
I asked how you thought craft got it’s direction without compass, that’s a straight question , considering your open gambit was I had written something “that seems incorrect” so asking that question at least deserves an answer if you have one.

I already responded to your question, very clearly, in post #59, and I said that without compass, the AC does not know its direction. We all agree on this. What we don't agree on, is your statement about the compass being REQUIRED in ATTI mode. Your logic is flawed... you accept that without compass the AC goes in ATTI mode, then you say ATTI needs compass.

I do disagree and I will move on but hopefully others will explain why your 100% completely wrong, are you saying that when I turn on atti mode on my P4 pro that compass turns off, do you know how ridiculous you sound . In atti mode craft is able to fly in absolute correct direction, I had to do my practical commercial license in atti mode as do all doing their commercial license.
I hope others jump in and confirm .
2020-3-7
Use props
120ccpm
Second Officer
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 3-7 10:27
There is never any need to calibrate your compass and that’s why in spark manual in P4pro manual the specifically ask only calibrate when prompted, in Mavic pro they changed this to 11km yes 11 km, in all safety and disclaimer manuals they tell you only when prompted, so that’s a clear indication that dji have no clue, but unless you add or remove something from your drone calibration will make no difference.
I have 2x M2 and air and they continually ask for calibration because dji have now forced this in all new craft so calibrate or don’t fly, that doesn’t mean it’s right,

I'm not in a position to say whether DJI recommends compass calibration when it's actually not needed. I'm inclined to believe they have their reasons. Even if you don't change location, calibration might be occasionally needed for the compass to re-learn how the AC itself (motors, battery, etc) affects its readings, so it can accurately measure the Earth magnetic field. For example, if you add something to the AC, like a strobe light with metal parts, you should probably calibrate.
2020-3-7
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

120ccpm Posted at 3-7 11:12
I'm not in a position to say whether DJI recommends compass calibration when it's actually not needed. I'm inclined to believe they have their reasons. Even if you don't change location, calibration might be occasionally needed for the compass to re-learn how the AC itself (motors, battery, etc) affects its readings, so it can accurately measure the Earth magnetic field. For example, if you add something to the AC, like a strobe light with metal parts, you should probably calibrate.

You may not have read my post but I mentioned adding or removing, but I stand by what I said compass does not need calibration it doesn’t go bad if something wrong with craft that’s something should be attended but compass won’t fix it.
2020-3-7
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

120ccpm Posted at 3-7 11:12

Here read what msinger has to say about it, you might know him from phantomhelp.

The only purpose of compass calibration is to measure the components of the aircraft's magnetic field so that they can be subtracted from the total measured magnetic field. Rotating the three-axis magnetometers allows the aircraft's flight controller to separate the surrounding magnetic field from the magnetic field of the aircraft itself. It's able to separate them since the aircraft's magnetic field remains constant (in the frame of reference of the magnetometers) while the surrounding magnetic field rotates.

No amount of measuring will allow the aircraft's flight controller to determine the deviation or declination at a location (since it has no idea where true north is located). Declination is determined from a global declination model within the firmware. There is no way to compensate for deviation since it's unmeasurable. That explains why taking off in areas of significant magnetic deviation will lead to unstable flight.
2020-3-7
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Netherlands

hallmark007 Posted at 3-7 10:53
I do disagree and I will move on but hopefully others will explain why your 100% completely wrong, are you saying that when I turn on atti mode on my P4 pro that compass turns off, do you know how ridiculous you sound . In atti mode craft is able to fly in absolute correct direction, I had to do my practical commercial license in atti mode as do all doing their commercial license.
I hope others jump in and confirm .

Hi Hallmark,

You are bit incorrect about ATTI, well not for all models, for DJI models like Spark, MM, MA and guess also for MPz etc your text is incorrect.

Let scrutinize your "let me explain text"; your txt in blue. my comments in red

The best way I can explain this is. If you put your Aircraft on the ground in normal circumstances, start it up, then lift it up and turn it 90 degrees to the right both your compass heading and IMU will both move together 90 degrees and no problems.
If you put your Aircraft on the ground and there is magnetic interference only the heading of your compass will change, your aircraft will still take off. But when it clears magnetic interference compass will then move to correct heading which you would think was great. But No, what happens is IMU is then conflicted and confused because of this sudden movement by compass, so you receive IMU exceptional heading warning, your aircraft cannot deal with data conflict so decides to switch to Atti mode
[ yes all correct so far ] dropping gps in favour of compass simply because aircraft can fly without gps but not compass. [ nope, not correct, compass is off becasue in conflict compass/imu! not with GPS
With a compass error, yaw errors, imu errors DJI drones will enter ATTI mode. For a GPS mode DJI drones need 2 signals ; GPS and Drone compass data.
If drone is forced due to errors to enter ATTI it will automatically disable the use of GPS signals. But GPS signals are still received and LAT LON data written in the file.
Check logs where drone is in ATTI and position data is still recorded.
BUT in your explanation text the drone is in ATTI due to a compass/IMU data conflict. This means that in ATTI drone does not use the compass data as well.
So in ATTI drone is height hold by baro sensor and pitch/roll gyro`s ect are use to keep craft level. Ofcouse wind make craft drift away and craft is in full control by the RC sticks
to steer in around. To bring craft back to home : in LOS easier as you can see how to steer in back, not in LOS its hard to know how to steer. This depends how much compass is offset and if this signal isnot used but shown in the app.

GPS signals and compass signals are never in any way linked to each other, so never a conflict between the 2 signals.
BUT DJI drone need both signals for P-GPS mode, if one or both signals are not good enough/error etc >> ATTI mode.

So conclusion : in a forced ATTI mode de to errors compass data is not used.

BTW this is not for DJI models wich can be switched manual into ATTI mode. In this mode compass and gps signals are normal functioning. Even, as i read somewhere, RTH does function in ATTI for models where you can manually switch to ATTI ( but this you know better ofcourse as i have not tested this ; no P4 for me )

cheers
JJB
2020-3-7
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

JJB* Posted at 3-7 11:26
Hi Hallmark,

You are bit incorrect about ATTI, well not for all models, for DJI models like Spark, MM, MA and guess also for MPz etc your text is incorrect.

First I never said compass was in conflict with gps, and if I did I certainly didn't mean that, but what I did say was if there was conflict then gps was dropped in favor of compass, not that compass was in conflict with gps like your trying to say, again I clearly say where ther conflict is and the data IMU heading incorrect completely backs that up.
Your last point is right as gps is still working in the background but mainly I believe for NFZ and Rth will switch back to gps, but not if auto atti is initiated, and yes similar in atti on other craft for same reasons, but I dispute what your saying regarding compass not being used , compass is off because of interference, ie on the ground compass corrects itself when it leaves interference, and it’s IMU that’s off this incorrect data is absolutely recorded , so you need to approach this from a problem with IMU not compass when gps is dropped .It seems you have forgotten that IMU and gps are connected . I think ignoring exactly what I have said regarding IMU and how we continually see incorrect heading go to atti mode proves your been selective here .I also clearly say when drone leaves interference area that it corrects itself, are you now saying it somehow gets turned off when going into atti mode, it would seem strange that you are now saying that good compass and gps are locked down, I'm not sure you have thought this through, maybe reading all the misleading stuff on the net is causing this.
You might also give us an explanation as to what happens to conflicted IMU which is clearly in the data.And although I have said gps is dropped for compass, I have never said that compass is working 100% I've no way of knowing this, but I do know that craft gets its direction from compass .

To be frank your conclusion is a guess and nothing more, it sounds like you had some kind of epiphany but it lacks any real proof . Again you need to read what I've written and my understanding of how it works .

2020-3-7
Use props
m80116
Second Officer
Italy

Meanwhile just FIY m80 has stopped feeding the trolls several posts ago.
2020-3-7
Use props
120ccpm
Second Officer
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 3-7 11:23
Here read what msinger has to say about it, you might know him from phantomhelp.

The only purpose of compass calibration is to measure the components of the aircraft's magnetic field so that they can be subtracted from the total measured magnetic field. Rotating the three-axis magnetometers allows the aircraft's flight controller to separate the surrounding magnetic field from the magnetic field of the aircraft itself. It's able to separate them since the aircraft's magnetic field remains constant (in the frame of reference of the magnetometers) while the surrounding magnetic field rotates.

I know msinger from my P3S days, he's very knowledgeable and was very active on the PhantomPilots forum.
I found the full page you're referring to. I think he gives good reasons when to (or not to) calibrate the compass, but I'm not sure why he doesn't list a change in location as one of the reasons to... clearly DJI has a different opinion on the subject, and so do others. Plenty of (controversial) opinions on the subject.
2020-3-7
Use props
InspektorGadjet
Second Officer
Flight distance : 439915 ft
Spain

Labroides Posted at 3-6 13:29
Yeah without GPS and app, drone was in Atti mode
No ... do you have any basic understanding of how the drone works?
Why do you think his drone had no GPS?

No ... do you have any basic understanding of how the drone works?
More than basic knowledge, but obviously not as much as you.
Why do you think his drone had no GPS?
It was an assumption, if you have no phone App and rush to take off, not waiting for sat locks, probably the drone didn't pick up enough satelites. But since you were there you know better.

Again .. this is nonsense, the only part that's correct is that it's just a guess.
Incredible I'm right in one thing! thanks for that!
Why does it say Captain after your name?
Ask DJI, I participated constructively  a lot in this forum, points are not earned by age or flight distance.
If you just make guesses without any knowledge of what happened or how a drone works, they will probably be wrong.
Fair enough, it might be that I'm just a retarded spanish peasant... however since it's free to come participate and try to help. I will.

So much hate... and nobody cares... enjoy... life is short.
Peace out!
2020-3-7
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

120ccpm Posted at 3-7 12:05
I know msinger from my P3S days, he's very knowledgeable and was very active on the PhantomPilots forum.
I found the full page you're referring to. I think he gives good reasons when to (or not to) calibrate the compass, but I'm not sure why he doesn't list a change in location as one of the reasons to... clearly DJI has a different opinion on the subject, and so do others. Plenty of (controversial) opinions on the subject.

I think if you read the post you will see why he believes it’s of no importance where you travel to whether or not you calibrate, I agree with his point that it is your drone and you’re free to calibrate, it’s a simple process almost impossible to get wrong, but the confusion is mainly to lack of explanation by dji as far as their drones and their requirements are concerned.
2020-3-7
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

120ccpm Posted at 3-7 12:05
I know msinger from my P3S days, he's very knowledgeable and was very active on the PhantomPilots forum.
I found the full page you're referring to. I think he gives good reasons when to (or not to) calibrate the compass, but I'm not sure why he doesn't list a change in location as one of the reasons to... clearly DJI has a different opinion on the subject, and so do others. Plenty of (controversial) opinions on the subject.

MSinger is saying on the page you linked to, exactly what I said in post #43. I quote:

'The only purpose of compass calibration is to measure the components of the aircraft's magnetic field so that they can be subtracted from the total measured magnetic field.'

And then you say: but I'm not sure why he doesn't list a change in location as one of the reasons to... clearly DJI has a different opinion on the subject, and so do others. Plenty of (controversial) opinions on the subject.

His answer to that is this:

'No amount of measuring will allow the aircraft's flight controller to determine the deviation or declination at a location (since it has no idea where true north is located). Declination is determined from a global declination model within the firmware. There is no way to compensate for deviation since it's unmeasurable. That explains why taking off in areas of significant magnetic deviation will lead to unstable flight.'

And this is why it is pointless performing a compass calibration when you move some distance from the previous location. An important part of what he, and I, am saying is that part underlined. At no part in the compass calibration procedure are you providing the aircraft's compass with a reference to true north, which is absolutely necessary if you are calibrating it to show position. The aircraft does not rely to any critical degree on the compass, it only uses it for coarse heading changes, most of the time it is being flown by the operator in a chosen direction, and when in automatic flight modes, the GPS co-ordinates are being used to determine where the next position it will fly to. To get to that position, the compass is used to give it a heading to aim for, but during the flight to that point, the direction is being constant revised because of wind and compass inaccuracies.

Just because DJI say different is not proof positive, as DJI have made technically false statements all through the manuals. I would put my trust in MSinger before any statements in the DJI documentation, as he clearly knows more about the subject than they do.

2020-3-7
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

That seems to be incorrect: the manual clearly lists "compass interference" as one the reasons for the AC to switch to ATTI mode. My understanding is that ATTI mode basically means that the drone, for a reason or another, does not really know where it's going, thus relying on the pilot.
Having said that, manual is not completely clear on the subject... I took a quick look again, but I don't see anywhere explained that RTH (for example) would not work in ATTI mode.

'Having said that, manual is not completely clear on the subject... I took a quick look again, but I don't see anywhere explained that RTH (for example) would not work in ATTI mode.'

As I understand it, if the aircraft has been manually placed in ATTI mode, and it finds a reason to perform an automatric RTH, it will switch back out of ATTI mode to do so. But if the aircraft has automatically selected ATTI mode because of insufficient or poor GPS data, it cannot RTH anyway.
2020-3-7
Use props
120ccpm
Second Officer
United States

Geebax Posted at 3-7 13:47
'Having said that, manual is not completely clear on the subject... I took a quick look again, but I don't see anywhere explained that RTH (for example) would not work in ATTI mode.'

As I understand it, if the aircraft has been manually placed in ATTI mode, and it finds a reason to perform an automatric RTH, it will switch back out of ATTI mode to do so. But if the aircraft has automatically selected ATTI mode because of insufficient or poor GPS data, it cannot RTH anyway.

Yes, I believe that's correct. Don't forget, though, that the MM cannot be manually placed in ATTI mode.
2020-3-7
Use props
120ccpm
Second Officer
United States

Geebax Posted at 3-7 13:36
MSinger is saying on the page you linked to, exactly what I said in post #43. I quote:

'The only purpose of compass calibration is to measure the components of the aircraft's magnetic field so that they can be subtracted from the total measured magnetic field.'

I don't trust DJI blindly, but the same goes for msinger, even if I completely respect his knowledge.
I never said that calibration is done to get an accurate true north reading. My understanding - purely based on what I read, so take it for what is worth it - is that calibration allows the compass to get more accurate (as in "uniform", "consistent") reading, by accounting for changes in the Earth's magnetic field, from place to place.
I think we all agree that calibration allows the AC to "subtract" its own magnetic field, from the total measured magnetic field. If that's the case, whenever such "total magnetic field" changes, it makes sense to recalibrate. Anyways, controversial topic, you'll find everything and the opposite.
2020-3-7
Use props
BigBird-2
lvl.4
Flight distance : 883645 ft
  • >>>
United States

InspektorGadjet Posted at 3-6 09:19
Nobody can tell without fly log... but guessing you take off without app and not waiting for GPS, if the drone is out of VPS Range then is probable but again, just a guess.

That is what I would think. Not waiting for enough gps signals
2020-3-7
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

120ccpm Posted at 3-7 15:22
I don't trust DJI blindly, but the same goes for msinger, even if I completely respect his knowledge.
I never said that calibration is done to get an accurate true north reading. My understanding - purely based on what I read, so take it for what is worth it - is that calibration allows the compass to get more accurate (as in "uniform", "consistent") reading, by accounting for changes in the Earth's magnetic field, from place to place.
I think we all agree that calibration allows the AC to "subtract" its own magnetic field, from the total measured magnetic field. If that's the case, whenever such "total magnetic field" changes, it makes sense to recalibrate. Anyways, controversial topic, you'll find everything and the opposite.

I never said that calibration is done to get an accurate true north reading.
What you said a few posts ago was:
Actually, compass calibration is done precisely to account for magnetic variations in the Earth's magnetic field, and that's exactly why the manual recommends to do it  when you moved more than 50km from where the AC was last flown.
If that's different from to get an an accurate true north reading, then I can't see how.  

DJI's communcication regarding compass calibration have been very misleading and contributed to the confusion surrounding the topic.
But the facts about compass calibration are not in doubt (except from people like you that don't understand what compass calibration really does).
The real facts about compass calibration were worked out over time and tested by very clever people.
msinger accurately summarised them in the article referred to above.
But you haven't accepted a word he said about compass calibration and your "understanding" goes against the evidence and is more in the realm of myths and superstition.

My understanding - purely based on what I read, so take it for what is worth it - is that calibration allows the compass to get more accurate (as in "uniform", "consistent") reading, by accounting for changes in the Earth's magnetic field, from place to place.
Your (mis)understanding is completely wrong.
If you got this from what you read, what you read is totally incorrect.

Anyways, controversial topic, you'll find everything and the opposite.
In medieval times they might have said the same about ideas that the earth was not the centre of the solar system.
You haven't been able to work out what is correct and have latched on to the information that has been proved wrong and want to continue spreading unfounded myths.

2020-3-7
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules