Mini Flyaway When Not Connected to App??!!!!!
10767 246 2020-3-6
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

BigBird-2 Posted at 3-7 15:37
That is what I would think. Not waiting for enough gps signals

Again ... not waiting for GPS and recording a home point hardly makes any difference.
It just means his drone would have acquired GPS and recorded a home point a little after launching.
And that would make zero difference to the flight.

How do any of you people fly when you don't understand the basics?
2020-3-7
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

120ccpm Posted at 3-7 15:22
I don't trust DJI blindly, but the same goes for msinger, even if I completely respect his knowledge.
I never said that calibration is done to get an accurate true north reading. My understanding - purely based on what I read, so take it for what is worth it - is that calibration allows the compass to get more accurate (as in "uniform", "consistent") reading, by accounting for changes in the Earth's magnetic field, from place to place.
I think we all agree that calibration allows the AC to "subtract" its own magnetic field, from the total measured magnetic field. If that's the case, whenever such "total magnetic field" changes, it makes sense to recalibrate. Anyways, controversial topic, you'll find everything and the opposite.

'I think we all agree that calibration allows the AC to "subtract" its own magnetic field, from the total measured magnetic field. If that's the case, whenever such "total magnetic field" changes, it makes sense to recalibrate. Anyways, controversial topic, you'll find everything and the opposite.'

The first part of your statement is correct, but not the second. The aircraft's own magnetic field has not changed, only the environmental magnetic field, so it does not need to be re-calibrated. Since there is no part of the calibration procedure that tells the aircraft where magnetic north actually is, it has no way of knowing where the accurate magnetic north position is.

In the past, it was common to calibrate the magnetic compass in a full size aircraft for exactly the same reasons. Often there was a huge engine right in front of the compass that would influence the compass, so the procedure was to got to a bay on the airfield, usually away from everything else, and there were marks on the ground to indicate correct magnetic north. You would orientate the aircraft carefully along the calibration lines, then adjust the ring on the compass so that the nose was pointing to magnetic north. This process was called 'swinging the compass' and it is similar to the calibration procedure carried out on our drones except for one vital point, you actually pointed the nose of the aircraft towards known magnetic north, and were therefore able to set the compass correctly. No part of the DJI compass calibration procedure provides that part of the calibration, you never at any point tell the compass where magnetic north actually is.

2020-3-7
Use props
120ccpm
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1396755 ft
United States

Labroides Posted at 3-7 15:42
I never said that calibration is done to get an accurate true north reading.
What you said a few posts ago was:
Actually, compass calibration is done precisely to account for magnetic variations in the Earth's magnetic field, and that's exactly why the manual recommends to do it  when you moved more than 50km from where the AC was last flown.

If you want me to respond to any of your comments, change tone.
2020-3-7
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

120ccpm Posted at 3-7 17:26
If you want me to respond to any of your comments, change tone.

What makes you think I want a response?
You've already made it clear that you reject the facts and prefer your own myths about compass calibration.
2020-3-7
Use props
120ccpm
Second Officer
United States

Geebax Posted at 3-7 16:14
'I think we all agree that calibration allows the AC to "subtract" its own magnetic field, from the total measured magnetic field. If that's the case, whenever such "total magnetic field" changes, it makes sense to recalibrate. Anyways, controversial topic, you'll find everything and the opposite.'

The first part of your statement is correct, but not the second. The aircraft's own magnetic field has not changed, only the environmental magnetic field, so it does not need to be re-calibrated. Since there is no part of the calibration procedure that tells the aircraft where magnetic north actually is, it has no way of knowing where the accurate magnetic north position is.

If I'm wrong, it would not be the first time. I don't come here thinking I know everything... some things I know well because of direct experience, in other cases I give educated opinions based on what I read. But there's plenty of people who are saying the same thing about calibration... look at this post on Phantom Pilots, for example.

As I mentioned above, I think DJI Fly asked me to re-calibrate the compass on a recent trip to Europe, and when I got back to the States. Cannot be 100% sure as in my mind it was something I was going to do anyways, but I believe the app prompted me to do it. I know DJI has given different recommendations over time about when to calibrate, but I find hard to believe that the very same engineers who have the skills and knowledge to design a complex system like a DJI drone, would put code in the app asking users to do something completely useless. Maybe there is something more to it than you think.
2020-3-7
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

120ccpm Posted at 3-7 17:53
If I'm wrong, it would not be the first time. I don't come here thinking I know everything... some things I know well because of direct experience, in other cases I give educated opinions based on what I read. But there's plenty of people who are saying the same thing about calibration... look at this post on Phantom Pilots, for example.

As I mentioned above, I think DJI Fly asked me to re-calibrate the compass on a recent trip to Europe, and when I got back to the States. Cannot be 100% sure as in my mind it was something I was going to do anyways, but I believe the app prompted me to do it. I know DJI has given different recommendations over time about when to calibrate, but I find hard to believe that the very same engineers who have the skills and knowledge to design a complex system like a DJI drone, would put code in the app asking users to do something completely useless. Maybe there is something more to it than you think.
in other cases I give educated opinions based on what I read.
Since you haven't worked out what compass calibrating actually does, it's obvious that your opinions aren't educated at all and the articles you read aren't either.

But there's plenty of people who are saying the same thing about calibration... look at this post on Phantom Pilots, for example.
Uh-huh ... that thread was an ongoing discussion that was important in gaining an understanding of what compass calibration actually does, and what it doesn't.
It started over 5 years ago and had 240 posts so it's not surprising that it contains a number of opinions.
But the facts are now well understood despite the ignorant myths still being spread by so many people in forums.

I know DJI has given different recommendations over time about when to calibrate, but I find hard to believe that the very same engineers who have the skills and knowledge to design a complex system like a DJI drone, would put code in the app asking users to do something completely useless.
I find it difficult to understand but not at all hard to believe.
DJI has been misleading and just plain wrong with much of their recommendations about compass calibration.
It's only from real testing and experimenting by clever people that we've been able to see through DJI's misleading information and work out what's true.
And with the Mavic 2 it turns out that DJI really have done exactly what you couldn't believe.
For years owners of the original Mavic were able to fly happily without ever recalibrating their compass but they were finding their Mavic 2 was asking for compass recalibration when it was 30 days since compass calibration or if it had moved some smalll distance since the last flight.
This is despite there being no physical reason for the drone to need compass recalibration.
It's all there in the flight data for anyone to see.

Maybe there is something more to it than you think.
There's definitely more to it that you think ... like real facts.

2020-3-7
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

120ccpm Posted at 3-7 17:53
If I'm wrong, it would not be the first time. I don't come here thinking I know everything... some things I know well because of direct experience, in other cases I give educated opinions based on what I read. But there's plenty of people who are saying the same thing about calibration... look at this post on Phantom Pilots, for example.

As I mentioned above, I think DJI Fly asked me to re-calibrate the compass on a recent trip to Europe, and when I got back to the States. Cannot be 100% sure as in my mind it was something I was going to do anyways, but I believe the app prompted me to do it. I know DJI has given different recommendations over time about when to calibrate, but I find hard to believe that the very same engineers who have the skills and knowledge to design a complex system like a DJI drone, would put code in the app asking users to do something completely useless. Maybe there is something more to it than you think.

This place is becoming more like the twilight zone around here, I see some trying to help others who have lost drones by checking logs helping them administer their findings, while others with complete daft ideas from 2015 as you just posted completely trying against a complete barrage of proof and information, and then you get annoyed because people trying to help get frustrated.

I see to many idiots sit by here allowing others to falsely accuse others of pilot error while the rest cheer from the sidelines, and a few try looking at the logs and genuinely try helping.
There are idiots telling others they don’t have good manners while they accuse same people as knowing nothing and completely making fools out of themselves with their total lack of real knowledge.

It’s not about how you say it, it’s more about the intentions to help, you might want to come here and continue to knock it and wonder why others get frustrated, but it’s pretty clear that there are very few that will stand up and say actually I was wrong and I’ve learned something today.
2020-3-7
Use props
120ccpm
Second Officer
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 3-7 18:21
This place is becoming more like the twilight zone around here, I see some trying to help others who have lost drones by checking logs helping them administer their findings, while others with complete daft ideas from 2015 as you just posted completely trying against a complete barrage of proof and information, and then you get annoyed because people trying to help get frustrated.

I see to many idiots sit by here allowing others to falsely accuse others of pilot error while the rest cheer from the sidelines, and a few try looking at the logs and genuinely try helping.

LOL... "complete barrage of proof and information"... and that would be what? You or Labroides saying something? Dude, you definitely have too much of an opinion of yourself! And for some strange reason, you think the rest of the world should too. You have a certain view on a subject, you are free and welcome to express it as much as I'm free to agree or disagree. If I have read a different opinion somewhere else, I'm free to think they got it right and you got it wrong. You clearly consider your opinion to be the ultimate truth, but for me you're just one of the millions people out there, posting on forums. And barking out loud won't make any difference.
2020-3-7
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

A drone with working IMU, functional GPS with Sat lock, could do a RTH without using internal compass; IF drone's maker put forth effort to create flight controller firmware for such an event.  As someone mentioned, it does not matter which way drone is pointed, so long as drone moves (makes progress) towards home.  So how could it be accomplished?

One possible way - Process would be like the game of Warmer or Colder
Not pretty, being it would require initial trial drone movements, followed up by flight calculated estimates to refine drones movements towards home.  One issue, would be initial amount (percent of) thrust to try.

For example: Drone moves say 50-feet in forward direction (12:00 thrust).  GPS data would tell drone whether drone moved closer to Home, further from home, or almost parallel to home.   With movement, GPS data would also tell drone which direction (N, S, E, W) drone did move, not that it would be needed for process.

If drone moved almost parallel to home, drone could change motors thrust towards 3:00 clock from before; which on next try would result in moving drone further or closer to home.  
If drone moved away from home, drone could change motors thrust towards 6:00 clock from before, which on next try would move drone closer to home. This is where amount (percent of) thrust would be of issue.  Should next interation result in failure to make progress, need to increase percent of thrust.
If drone moved closer to home, drone could change motors thrust to 1:00 clock from before, starting process of narrowing which thrust moved drone closer to home per iteration
On each attempt, results and new chosen thrust (face of clock) amounts would be logged for reference for next attempt.  

In case of thrust to 1:00 clock from before resulting in reduced progress towards home, drone would try thrust towards 11:00 clock

After getting past initial trial and error, and several in succession making progress towards home iterations, process could then start making subtle adjustments to thrust, based on previous results, along with increasing distance drone moved on each iteration.

2020-3-8
Use props
InspektorGadjet
Second Officer
Flight distance : 439915 ft
Spain

Labroides Posted at 3-7 14:43
Why do you think his drone had no GPS?
It was an assumption, if you have no phone App and rush to take off, not waiting for sat locks, probably the drone didn't pick up enough satelites. But since you were there you know better.
Real aircraft accident inspectors don't make assumptions.

Sorry for my ignorance but, I was under the impression this was a worldwide forum of DJI users, to discuss whatever, not the Drone police or Drone Investigators Department.

My name says InspektorGadjet not Drone Inspektor, and by the way I am no former inspector is just a nick name. Why do you think we are "people analizing drone incidents"? LMAO that is DJI or the police job lol

There is no fly log that is why I was making suggestions, and since the drone is gone and the user bought another one, this is a waste of time. You were not there so all your guesses are also just that, a guess, unless you really are some sort of deity.

Some of you "Advanced" users have a real serious ego/superiority issue. Not constructive, harsh, hateful, if that gives you pleasure I feel sorry for you...

Like I said in this forum before, I am 100% sure face to face this would not happen, it´s easy to hide behind a screen and unleash your frustration.
2020-3-8
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 12225059 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

hallmark007 Posted at 3-7 11:42
First I never said compass was in conflict with gps, and if I did I certainly didn't mean that, but what I did say was if there was conflict then gps was dropped in favor of compass, not that compass was in conflict with gps like your trying to say, again I clearly say where ther conflict is and the data IMU heading incorrect completely backs that up.
Your last point is right as gps is still working in the background but mainly I believe for NFZ and Rth will switch back to gps, but not if auto atti is initiated, and yes similar in atti on other craft for same reasons, but I dispute what your saying regarding compass not being used , compass is off because of interference, ie on the ground compass corrects itself when it leaves interference, and it’s IMU that’s off this incorrect data is absolutely recorded , so you need to approach this from a problem with IMU not compass when gps is dropped .It seems you have forgotten that IMU and gps are connected . I think ignoring exactly what I have said regarding IMU and how we continually see incorrect heading go to atti mode proves your been selective here .I also clearly say when drone leaves interference area that it corrects itself, are you now saying it somehow gets turned off when going into atti mode, it would seem strange that you are now saying that good compass and gps are locked down, I'm not sure you have thought this through, maybe reading all the misleading stuff on the net is causing this.
You might also give us an explanation as to what happens to conflicted IMU which is clearly in the data.And although I have said gps is dropped for compass, I have never said that compass is working 100% I've no way of knowing this, but I do know that craft gets its direction from compass .

Uh, qutote from you  " If compass heading and gps disagree your craft will dump gps for compass because you can fly without gps but not without compass "

Compass and GPS are never in conflict as they are 2 different signals....

In your statement there is a compass / imu confict, this will force the drone in ATTI and disable the use of GPS data. And then the drone is still using the compass wich is in conflict with the IMU? Simply not correct. If after takeoff the compass/imu conflict would get a reset, after compass indicates 'good' heading; yes than the conlict is over and is it possibe to switch auto-back to P-GPS mode. As this is not happen, ATTI remains the mode where drone is in.
So i do not ignore what you say about leaving the interference area, yes compass is correcting itself, but not the ref value IMU, that`s why into ATTI.
But many times compass heading is not presenting the actual heading, not correcting itself after take-off and no compass/imu conflict : no ATTI but fly-away in P-GPS mode. But that is a different thread   ;-)

In ATTI compass heading is indicating in the app, not always the right heading. So manually flying in ATTI we can use this heading to direct the craft, but in a forced-into-ATTI mode the compass heading is not used.

Thanks for the tip ; all sensors are connected to the IMU, how could i forget this....  ;-)

cheers
JJB
2020-3-8
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

JJB* Posted at 3-8 02:13
Uh, qutote from you  " If compass heading and gps disagree your craft will dump gps for compass because you can fly without gps but not without compass "

Compass and GPS are never in conflict as they are 2 different signals....

I’m kind of getting fed up with your usual rhetoric that you are always right and everyone else is wrong.
As I said before and it’s getting more noticeable as the days go by, you have a thing for hiding in the grass waiting to pounce like the snake and it’s getting ridiculous at this stage.

First you very much did quote me wrong, and what your saying is just not true.
Secondly I think very much I know what I’m talking about, you on the other hand have proven when trying to read whether logs or anything else are continually making it up as you go, again offering nothing but what you surmise and leaving out what’s most important here.

Of course gps is dropped but it’s not dropped for compass it’s dropped because of heading difference with IMU caused by initial interference with compass.

All your doing is trying to read your log but as usual your interpretation is completely wrong as it has been on many occasions, I think what you have is frap, but what’s needed is correct and thorough interpretations not a load of graphs and 4 lines of text.

And I think we now have others who can actually read and interpret the text which is basically what users are really looking foe, a lot easier to understand text for most.
And I fear since that you find great joy in waiting and hunting and hanging onto every word I say, I’m telling you now it’s time to quit, I don’t agree with you or your interpretations and you don’t agree with mine, leave it there .

"In ATTI compass heading is indicating in the app, not always the right heading. So manually flying in ATTI we can use this heading to direct the craft, but in a forced-into-ATTI mode the compass heading is not used."

It is used but it may not work as it should, and we continue to see compass error yaw mag yaw, but I suppose you ignored that data.
2020-3-8
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

120ccpm Posted at 3-7 20:13
LOL... "complete barrage of proof and information"... and that would be what? You or Labroides saying something? Dude, you definitely have too much of an opinion of yourself! And for some strange reason, you think the rest of the world should too. You have a certain view on a subject, you are free and welcome to express it as much as I'm free to agree or disagree. If I have read a different opinion somewhere else, I'm free to think they got it right and you got it wrong. You clearly consider your opinion to be the ultimate truth, but for me you're just one of the millions people out there, posting on forums. And barking out loud won't make any difference.

You read and posted an opinion from 2015, with no credible proof, it’s actually you that has the high opinion of yourself, but when faced with being wrong, you decide to throw the toys out of the pram
Looking to get all your responses with an emoji rose , grow a pair and be a man .
2020-3-8
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 12225059 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

hallmark007 Posted at 3-8 02:29
I’m kind of getting fed up with your usual rhetoric that you are always right and everyone else is wrong.
As I said before and it’s getting more noticeable as the days go by, you have a thing for hiding in the grass waiting to pounce like the snake and it’s getting ridiculous at this stage.

read this > https://forum.dji.com/forum.php? ... D556%26typeid%3D556

So did i quote you wrong??  nah....

Its is good to read that you get fed up of me and other people on this forum, look in the mirror and ask yourself why you write this.

I will always react on subjects where i think people not telling it correctly ; open forum = open discussion.  But some people on here, you are great example for this, cannot deal with other opinions etc. Trying to mislead by using great words to others and feel superiour over others.

Like another person said to you "Are you equally unpleasant in real life?"  to be honest, i hope not!
I will leave it here as well.

cheers
JJB
2020-3-8
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

JJB* Posted at 3-8 02:52
read this > https://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=210307&extra=page%3D1%26filter%3Dtypeid%26typeid%3D556%26typeid%3D556

So did i quote you wrong??  nah....

Again I never said there is conflict between compass and gps, your quote is a complete lie and your link proves it, unless you trying to hide behind you English, what your saying is just wrong.

And yes if you want to pick me up on anything do , but do it like a man not a snake, and I think it’s pretty clear that you yourself are continually being picked up for your constant bad interpretations of flight logs, which is correct, only thing is your not man enough to admit you constant failing on those matters.

Good day .
2020-3-8
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

InspektorGadjet Posted at 3-8 02:06
Sorry for my ignorance but, I was under the impression this was a worldwide forum of DJI users, to discuss whatever, not the Drone police or Drone Investigators Department.

My name says InspektorGadjet not Drone Inspektor, and by the way I am no former inspector is just a nick name. Why do you think we are "people analizing drone incidents"? LMAO that is DJI or the police job lol
since the drone is gone and the user bought another one, this is a waste of time. You were not there so all your guesses are also just that, a guess, unless you really are some sort of deity.
1.  No, it's not a waste of time.
Flight incidents are a good learning opportunity for everyone.
2.  I'm not like you, I never post guesses.  If it's something I'm not sure of, I don't post.

Some of you "Advanced" users have a real serious ego/superiority issue. Not constructive, harsh, hateful, if that gives you pleasure I feel sorry for you...
And you have a serious reverse snobbery issue.
Why do you resent knowledge and experience when you can benefit from it for free?
It sounds like you'd prefer to wallow in ignorance than learn anything that might help you fly safer.

Like I said in this forum before, I am 100% sure face to face this would not happen, it´s easy to hide behind a screen and unleash your frustration.
And you're wrong there as well.

2020-3-8
Use props
JMynes
lvl.4
Flight distance : 228012 ft
United States

What a bunch of crybabies
2020-3-8
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

JMynes Posted at 3-8 05:11
What a bunch of crybabies

Ahh someone with some common sense, not everybody is made of sugar glass .
2020-3-8
Use props
Anno
lvl.2
Flight distance : 761171 ft
Spain

Jeez, look where this thread has taken us!
I only posted here for the first time in the hope that someone had perhaps experienced something similar but clearly not. As some observant folk have noticed I have already purchased a new drone so it doesn't really matter, and I will not make the same mistake again.
In the meantime I shall leave you all to continue whatever this is.....
2020-3-8
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Anno Posted at 3-8 05:59
I only posted here for the first time in the hope that someone had perhaps experienced something similar but clearly not. As some observant folk have noticed I have already purchased a new drone so it doesn't really matter, and I will not make the same mistake again.

Take something with you it might help, good luck with new drone.

Tip To Help Avoid compass interference and crash.

1/ Never calibrate Compass unless prompted to.

2/ start AC leave until you receive enough gps lock ,

3/ if you get Compass interference turn off AC and move to another location,
without interference.

4/ In bottom left hand corner on your map you will see small red triangle, check to make sure that this triangle is pointing in the same direction (heading) as your AC, this will show good compass on the ground.

Raise AC to height of 8ft
Hover for 20 seconds
Fly forward 2ft
Backward 2ft
Left 2ft
Right 2ft
Up 2ft
Down 2ft
Yaw left
Yaw right
Each time returning to hover position
If you have a good horizontal each time, you will then know you have good GPS good IMU and good Compass, and your ready to fly.

This exercise takes less than 2 minutes and is worthwhile doing before every flight,
2020-3-8
Use props
InspektorGadjet
Second Officer
Spain

Anno Posted at 3-8 05:59
I only posted here for the first time in the hope that someone had perhaps experienced something similar but clearly not. As some observant folk have noticed I have already purchased a new drone so it doesn't really matter, and I will not make the same mistake again.

You did right, you have some doubt or question, and you come here and start a thread, some users here will positively try and help, others will for some reason turn this in to a personal attack to other users who think differently, turning the post useless and hard to follow.

Glad that you have another drone and can move on.
Happy flying!
2020-3-8
Use props
InspektorGadjet
Second Officer
Spain

Labroides Posted at 3-8 04:05
since the drone is gone and the user bought another one, this is a waste of time. You were not there so all your guesses are also just that, a guess, unless you really are some sort of deity.
1.  No, it's not a waste of time.
Flight incidents are a good learning opportunity for everyone.

From now on I will use this awesome GIF which, you know, it ties the room together.
2020-3-8
Use props
Picanoc Jack
First Officer
Flight distance : 10326581 ft
Canada

Just don't understand why people would take a gamble on loosing their expensive drone, if things aren't right when you go to fly the drone then DON'T,  with experience and knowledge gained by reading all these posts on forum I've learned not to take any chances, even the smallest of warnings that come on I bring back the drone closer to me in order to have it in sight,  so sorry that you lost your drone but it is a very hard lesson to learn.  Fly safe.
2020-3-8
Use props
Anno
lvl.2
Spain

Picanoc Jack Posted at 3-8 07:50
Just don't understand why people would take a gamble on loosing their expensive drone, if things aren't right when you go to fly the drone then DON'T,  with experience and knowledge gained by reading all these posts on forum I've learned not to take any chances, even the smallest of warnings that come on I bring back the drone closer to me in order to have it in sight,  so sorry that you lost your drone but it is a very hard lesson to learn.  Fly safe.

Why is flying the drone without the app a 'gamble'? I thought i would still have complete control and planned to keep the drone close and in los. I could never have expected to lose it the way I did.
Anyway, I think enough is enough now. It's gone and a new one is on its way.
For the last time, lesson learned.
2020-3-8
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Anno Posted at 3-8 10:26
Why is flying the drone without the app a 'gamble'? I thought i would still have complete control and planned to keep the drone close and in los. I could never have expected to lose it the way I did.
Anyway, I think enough is enough now. It's gone and a new one is on its way.

I suppose gamble in you didn’t know how many satellites you acquired , you didn’t know if you if you had interference or not. you obviously hadn’t a clue what to do when you seen it flying away, and believe me I could fill two threads revealing how much of a silly gamble it was, and I don’t think there is anyone on this thread and probably this forum wouldn’t agree with picanoc jack.

I’ve seen so many been so unlucky to lose their drones for one simple mistake, I’ll save my sympathy for those . The mere fact you still don’t realize begs me to think you will lose your next one to .
2020-3-8
Use props
120ccpm
Second Officer
United States

Anyway, I think enough is enough now. It's gone and a new one is on its way.

Have to agree with Hallmark (and pretty much everybody else) on this one: DJI drones are designed to work with the app, and the MM doesn't even have a display on the RC to give you basic info. Without the app, you have no way of knowing where the camera is pointing and no clue of what's going on with the flight. No experienced pilot would fly like this, it's just too risky. That still does not justify the drone flying away from you, but without app (and logs) there is no way to understand what really caused that.
2020-3-8
Use props
Anno
lvl.2
Spain

hallmark007 Posted at 3-8 10:44
I suppose gamble in you didn’t know how many satellites you acquired , you didn’t know if you if you had interference or not. you obviously hadn’t a clue what to do when you seen it flying away, and believe me I could fill two threads revealing how much of a silly gamble it was, and I don’t think there is anyone on this thread and probably this forum wouldn’t agree with picanoc jack.

I’ve seen so many been so unlucky to lose their drones for one simple mistake, I’ll save my sympathy for those . The mere fact you still don’t realize begs me to think you will lose your next one to .
In that respect yes i can see it was a gamble of sorts, especially as I am a relative newcomer to flying drones.
I am sure many people on here have lost/damaged drones being far more reckless than flying without the app but lessons are there to be learned and I have now learned this one.
I certainly wasn't looking for sympathy. ;-)
2020-3-8
Use props
Picanoc Jack
First Officer
Canada

Anyway, I think enough is enough now. It's gone and a new one is on its way.

that's the spirit, I  also went to the school of hard knocks and paid DJI a nice amount of cash to them,  but like I said learnt my lessons.
2020-3-8
Use props
Picanoc Jack
First Officer
Canada

hallmark007 Posted at 3-8 10:44
I suppose gamble in you didn’t know how many satellites you acquired , you didn’t know if you if you had interference or not. you obviously hadn’t a clue what to do when you seen it flying away, and believe me I could fill two threads revealing how much of a silly gamble it was, and I don’t think there is anyone on this thread and probably this forum wouldn’t agree with picanoc jack.

I’ve seen so many been so unlucky to lose their drones for one simple mistake, I’ll save my sympathy for those . The mere fact you still don’t realize begs me to think you will lose your next one to .

and there lies the problem, after loosing mine a couple of times but managed to find the drone I bloody well learnt,  because it would be disastrous for me,  my wife would kill me.
2020-3-8
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Anno Posted at 3-8 11:34
In that respect yes i can see it was a gamble of sorts, especially as I am a relative newcomer to flying drones.
I am sure many people on here have lost/damaged drones being far more reckless than flying without the app but lessons are there to be learned and I have now learned this one.
I certainly wasn't looking for sympathy. ;-)

Well you could be right, I just read some guy tried to land his drone into the boot of his car , I suppose it takes all sorts .
2020-3-8
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Picanoc Jack Posted at 3-8 11:40
and there lies the problem, after loosing mine a couple of times but managed to find the drone I bloody well learnt,  because it would be disastrous for me,  my wife would kill me.

I think as long as we learn from mistakes accept them we’ll all live to fly another day .
2020-3-8
Use props
Ice_2k
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1132575 ft
Romania

I recently took a trip to the mountains (200km from my home) and upon starting up, the drone immediately requested compass calibration. This happened within 10s of powering it so 100% it did not have gps lock yet. I don’t know how the drone “knew” something was different but it did. For reasons that are not relevant here, i couldn’t do the calibration and just flew it like that with no issues. 3 days later when i got back home, i powered it up and the calibration requirement was gone.
I don’t understand enough about the compass’ internal workings to say why this happened but the fact that the compass “feels” the different magnetic properties of the earth at different locations seems obvious. How juch this matters, I don’t know.
Also, it’s a bit weird how some people keep posting screenshots from the dji manuals when it suits them and when it doesn’t they just stick with “dji is just wrong here”. You can’t have it both ways, what dji says is either a reliable source or it isn’t. Given my unintened experiment (which was repeated twice during the last 2 months), it’s clear to me that they are correct about the location being important. I don’t see what else could explain the drone immediately sensing without gps that its location was different.
2020-3-8
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Ice_2k Posted at 3-8 11:52
I recently took a trip to the mountains (200km from my home) and upon starting up, the drone immediately requested compass calibration. This happened within 10s of powering it so 100% it did not have gps lock yet. I don’t know how the drone “knew” something was different but it did. For reasons that are not relevant here, i couldn’t do the calibration and just flew it like that with no issues. 3 days later when i got back home, i powered it up and the calibration requirement was gone.
I don’t understand enough about the compass’ internal workings to say why this happened but the fact that the compass “feels” the different magnetic properties of the earth at different locations seems obvious. How juch this matters, I don’t know.
Also, it’s a bit weird how some people keep posting screenshots from the dji manuals when it suits them and when it doesn’t they just stick with “dji is just wrong here”. You can’t have it both ways, what dji says is either a reliable source or it isn’t. Given my unintened experiment (which was repeated twice during the last 2 months), it’s clear to me that they are correct about the location being important. I don’t see what else could explain the drone immediately sensing without gps that its location was different.

Well I posted dji manual excerpts, and if you looked at them for instance for Mavic mini , you will clearly see, 1 calibrate every 50k or so, and also and more to the point in their disclaimer manual , only calibrate when prompted, it doesn’t take a genius to figure there is a huge discrepancy there.

Mavic Pro manual , calibrate every 11k yes 11k, safety and disclaimer (only calibrate when prompted) I’ve travelled thousands of miles with my Mavic pro NEVER CALIBRATED and was never prompted.

P4pro manual only calibrate when prompted, again many miles traveled only calibrated once when I first got it .

Spark manual only calibrate when prompted, I never calibrated.
And so it goes , each manual contradicts, with Mavic pro first version of manual NEVER CALIBRATE UNLESS PROMPTED. version 3 calibrate every 11k

Are you getting confused, and can you see why those who have been flying for long time have decided to find out how compass works and the need to calibrate or not.

I have seen many calibrate over the years and then crash their drone, in fact it was nearly always the opening line of their post about crashing their drone, I just calibrated my drone and in most of these crashes there was no need for calibration.

If you read msinger article you will understand how drone compass works and it’s correct and right and his advice is advice all should take on board.

Your around here long enough to know dji are completely coy about divulging any information or indeed answering any technical questions, thus leaving members here to come up with whatever they thinks best, they give no information on almost any crash, no information on what to do when users come here and complain about craft falling out of the sky for no good reason.

And now you’re backing them up, there’s an irony in that .
2020-3-8
Use props
Anno
lvl.2
Spain

Well this forum is certainly active, I will give it that..... ;-)
2020-3-8
Use props
frickyboi
lvl.1
Flight distance : 55630 ft
Israel

it happened to me recently with the app. the mini just disconnected.
2020-3-8
Use props
120ccpm
Second Officer
United States

Anno Posted at 3-8 12:32
Well this forum is certainly active, I will give it that..... ;-)

Definitely providing some entertainment, yes.  

One more comment about flying without the app: I was looking at the manual to see the exact wording from DJI on the subject, and it says say you should "make sure" to use DJI Fly. It also says that flight is restricted to a distance of 50m and height of 30m when flying without the app (same as if you have the app, but you're not logged in).

Lastly, if you really MUST fly without the app, at the very least refresh your memory on the Aircraft  Status Indicator Codes (light in the back of the AC), to make sure the AC is in P-Mode with GPS and there are no warnings.
2020-3-8
Use props
120ccpm
Second Officer
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 3-7 10:53
I do disagree and I will move on but hopefully others will explain why your 100% completely wrong, are you saying that when I turn on atti mode on my P4 pro that compass turns off, do you know how ridiculous you sound . In atti mode craft is able to fly in absolute correct direction, I had to do my practical commercial license in atti mode as do all doing their commercial license.
I hope others jump in and confirm .

I do disagree and I will move on but hopefully others will explain why your 100% completely wrong, are you saying that when I turn on atti mode on my P4 pro that compass turns off, do you know how ridiculous you sound . In atti mode craft is able to fly in absolute correct direction, I had to do my practical commercial license in atti mode as do all doing their commercial license.

I'm going back to this, as I think it deserves some comments. There are plenty of drones without compass, and they don't fly erratically or spin uncontrollably around the yaw axis (my son has a Syma 5C, and it's rock solid). RC helis also don't have a compass, and the tail gyro keeps the heading pretty steady.

As accelerometers are not perfect, and since without a compass there is no absolute heading reference, over time these ACs might start to rotate a bit around the yaw axis. They also drift with the wind because they have no way to know their absolute position, and they might change altitude for the same reasons.

Our drones have a barometer to control height, a GPS for position and a compass for heading. The IMU uses this data to keep the AC at a constant height, in the same position and with the same heading, indefinitely (without pilot inputs, of course).

I never said that when you switch your P4 to ATTI mode (manually) the compass goes off. I said that your statement about compass being REQUIRED in ATTI mode is incorrect, and I completely stand by it.

On my P3S, in A-Mode (manual ATTI), the AC was not using the GPS for positioning but kept using the barometer to control altitude. Manual didn't say about compass, it might use it or ignore it, only way to notice that if to see if, over time, heading would shift a bit. For all intent and purposes, the AC would still fly straight even with the compass off.

To further confirm this, the MM manual clearly states than the AC automatically switches to ATTI when the compass experiences interferences (or when GPS signal is weak, or VPS is unavailable). That, by itself, tells you that the compass is not REQUIRED in ATTI, as you keep repeating.
2020-3-8
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

120ccpm Posted at 3-8 14:08

I already explained about what happens, I also explained in the air in atti mode, I dont really have the time to go back and forth only for you to do as you did with compass simply not accept .
So I’ll show you video below, you will see around 48sec compass goes into slight yaw left craft drops gps goes to atti mode, controller turns craft around still in atti mode, you will clearly see compass in atti mode turn around 360 to face home in atti mode, before recovering to Rth .

But it’s there in the video you can see compass working in atti mode. Now depending on the severity of the interference it may not work as well but it is always trying to get on correct heading, in this video heading is perfect in atti mode. Watch it make your own mind up on it, I’m satisfied I will know what occurs with my craft if they happen to go to atti mode. I did explain the whole barometer and how craft holds its altitude and yes attitude will always be held by IMU if working correctly, so I'm actually not sure if you actually read any of my posts, I'll leave it there but I'm sure you will be able to see compass working in atti . And yes if you use switch to atti compass will be used .
Here's another case where interference is strong and craft immediately goes to atti mode and in seconds without any IMU control barometre VPs or compass it just flys in one small circle and dives into the  pond, so no amount of stick movements no compass or barometer IMU would have saved this craft, and it just goes to prove that severity of interference will be a major factor how the craft works or can be controlled, in this case impossible .

https://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/U5LJQZT4PHE8PODVAE2N

2020-3-8
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

hallmark007 Posted at 3-8 14:38
I already explained about what happens, I also explained in the air in atti mode, I dont really have the time to go back and forth only for you to do as you did with compass simply not accept .
So I’ll show you video below, you will see around 48sec compass goes into slight yaw left craft drops gps goes to atti mode, controller turns craft around still in atti mode, you will clearly see compass in atti mode turn around 360 to face home in atti mode, before recovering to Rth .

This is a classic illustration of what happens when you start the aircraft while it is sitting on a huge concrete slab full of re-inforcing steel. The aircraft is not encountering magnetic disturbances while in flight, the issue was where it was switched on and  initialised the navigational system.
2020-3-8
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

InspektorGadjet Posted at 3-8 06:55
You did right, you have some doubt or question, and you come here and start a thread, some users here will positively try and help, others will for some reason turn this in to a personal attack to other users who think differently, turning the post useless and hard to follow.

Glad that you have another drone and can move on.

some users here will positively try and help, others will for some reason turn this in to a personal attack to other users who think differently
The problem here is that you think offering completely irrelevant and misleading guesses is helping but correcting misinformation to help flyers understand their drones better and fly safer, is attacking.
That's twisted logic.

2020-3-8
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules