Sudden Fear of Flying
1276 7 2020-3-8
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
nullx8
lvl.3
Flight distance : 383635 ft
Thailand

quick question, how do you guys do overcome the fear of flying.
for some reason, I became very hesitant about doing anything.

I bought myself an additional Mavic Mini with the fly more combo and try to fly on close spaces (baby mode with prop guards and everything)
just to learn some FPV flying and better control everything,

but that has caused some huge hesitation now flying the Mavic pro too...
like there is a small breeze, I won't go far, even I know that the wind will not even scare the mini...

just now I decided to fly the Mavic Pro out behind my Backyard, where I basically know every Leaf and branch there is.

I'm in authorization zone, and the space is very small to take off (about 5 square meters) so I usually take off in sports mode (it's just more easy to flip the switch instead of hazzle trough the menu to turn off avoidance for a minute) .. I have done this literally 200 times before.

so I take off manually and control the Mavic out of the gap over the wall, it's a bit tricky, but not impossible, plus I have done it many many times before.
so there was a bit of wind and no GPS yet, caused the drone to drift a bit, again nothing alarming, easy to correct, but I struggled in doing so .. barely got it to land.

turned it off and go back inside.

so the question is, how to overcome this? since this is clearly a psychological thing.

2020-3-8
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello and good day nullx8. Thank you for reaching out and for sharing these information with us today. I hope that you will get the best information from our valued DJI co pilots on how do they overcome there fear of flying. In addition, I would suggest to always have a pre flight checklist each and every time you flight for safe flying always. For reference, I will post a DJI Forum Thread on DJI flight checklist ( https://forum.dji.com/thread-144807-1-1.html ). I hope this information can help. Thank you and have a safe flight always.
2020-3-8
Use props
HurleyBird
First Officer
Flight distance : 549295 ft
  • >>>
United States

I'm sure we can all understand your situation. I believe the fear comes from the fact that these devices are not cheap and crashing one beyond repair would be like throwing money away. The second would be the fear of causing harm or damage to someones person or property. I don't think you truly overcome those fears but rather control them.

I am not sure of what areas you are able to fly in but I would start by going to the largest open field you can find that allows you to fly. Not with the intention of filming or taking pictures but just to fly. If there are no trees and open fields then you could in theory hold the throttle down full speed. Try watching the drone visually and not through the display and fly it about 10 to 20 ft off the ground. I would do this for quite sometime just to help you feel more in control of the drone.

From here I would slowly graduate to flying around trees or old buildings to add a bit more challenge to the flights which in turn would help you become more confident in your abilities. I think once your confidence improves your fears will start to fade away.

I am basically just sharing my experience with overcoming my fear of flying my drones  and hopefully it can help you. Good luck.
2020-3-8
Use props
AlansDronePics
First Officer
Flight distance : 814751 ft
Guernsey

As HurleyBird suggests, space, no hazards low wind and start from basics.
I stopped flying a couple of years ago because DJI were messing up with firmware for the Mavic Pro and I had a close call when it flew off. It went into RTH and the problem cleared up and I regained control again.
I stopped flying for several months until the MP issues stopped popping up on the forum.
When I went flying again, I had lost all my confidence. I was scared the thing would crash.
I went back to total beginner and gradually built up my skills again.
I am quite happy to fly anywhere, sensibly.
There is no harm in being cautious, provided you have practised what to do if things unexpectedly happen.
Here is a recent video showing the terrain where I live. All these places are no longer a worry now.

2020-3-8
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

I don't have this, but I would say you should be able to overcome it as with any type of fear.
2020-3-9
Use props
nullx8
lvl.3
Thailand

AlansDronePics Posted at 3-8 12:00
As HurleyBird suggests, space, no hazards low wind and start from basics.
I stopped flying a couple of years ago because DJI were messing up with firmware for the Mavic Pro and I had a close call when it flew off. It went into RTH and the problem cleared up and I regained control again.
I stopped flying for several months until the MP issues stopped popping up on the forum.

hmm yes very good points, i guess me trying to figure out the FPV thing caused somethings, since i basically realized that i have literlly no clue in fpv how close my surroundings really are.

in my takeoff example i can see the drone, since i take off from my office window in the first floor from my hand .. this is well trained, but since i have a realisation that objects on the screen can apear MUCH closer as they are (depending on how far away you are from them) that may triggered some mistrust.

well what i have started to do now is just have the mini ready to fly with the cage on, and fly arround the house and the garage and stuff like that, to get a better feeling for it.

iam not trying to be a fpv pilot at all, there are just situation where this comes in handy.

like today, one of my airconditioning has a water leak, so can can digg out the ladder spend an hour get on the roof and make a picture with my phone to send to the aircon guy .. or i just get the Mavic out and take the photo .. but this would require me to fly it out of sight, which is really easy as there is ton of space so crashing there is practically impossible, sow iam using planning using challenges like this  to train myself.
2020-3-9
Use props
SkyFireAfroMan
lvl.2
Flight distance : 681421 ft
United States

You have 118,809 flight distance and that speaks volumes. I too share the fear of flying but once I get it up in the air, I have fun. View it as a fun thing and not a daunting function.
2020-3-9
Use props
nullx8
lvl.3
Thailand

SkyFireAfroMan Posted at 3-9 10:18
You have 118,809 flight distance and that speaks volumes. I too share the fear of flying but once I get it up in the air, I have fun. View it as a fun thing and not a daunting function.

i think it's misstrust in the technology, this is also why I take off in sports mode when I launch from my hand out of the window. i had a near miss because the avoidance didn't let me fly forward and the drone was drifting backwards due to little wind and missing GPS .. that scared the S*&t out of me.

guess just need to get the confidence back.

the training with the mini is actually helpful, I try to fly it in non-gps areas .. because then it is ALOT harder to control, and that contributes to more experience.

i guess
2020-3-24
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules