Long Exposure Photography
2302 13 2020-3-10
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
PenguinWhale
lvl.1
New Zealand

What are peoples experience with taking long exposure photos using the osmo pocket? Do you think 8 seconds is long enough when using it at night?
2020-3-10
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

That depends on what you are after right?
And how high you set the ISO.
2020-3-10
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello and good day PenguinWhale. Thank you for reaching out and for the inquiry. I hops that you will get the best recommendation from our valued DJI Members who took long exposure photos using there DJI Osmo Pocket. In addition, I will post an official DJI Forum thread posted by Wellsi on Long Exposure & Night Photos: Osmo Pocket Tutorial ( https://forum.dji.com/thread-180821-1-1.html ). Thank you and keep on filming.
2020-3-10
Use props
PenguinWhale
lvl.1
New Zealand

Montfrooij Posted at 3-10 01:54
That depends on what you are after right?
And how high you set the ISO.

I usually set the ISO to 100 when taking long exposure. I've only done taken long exposure of water so far but I've been thinking about doing it for star shots. I know with DSLRs and mirrorless cameras they have quite long shutter speeds and was wondering if 8 seconds would be enough for the Osmo Pocket
2020-3-10
Use props
AlanHd
First Officer
Flight distance : 797365 ft
United Kingdom

PenguinWhale Posted at 3-10 11:22
I usually set the ISO to 100 when taking long exposure. I've only done taken long exposure of water so far but I've been thinking about doing it for star shots. I know with DSLRs and mirrorless cameras they have quite long shutter speeds and was wondering if 8 seconds would be enough for the Osmo Pocket

Are you wanting star trails or pin sharp stars, for star trails you could probably get by but for pin sharp stars your going to really struggle as the slightest movement of the gimbal is going to destroy the shots,
2020-3-10
Use props
PenguinWhale
lvl.1
New Zealand

AlanHd Posted at 3-10 11:32
Are you wanting star trails or pin sharp stars, for star trails you could probably get by but for pin sharp stars your going to really struggle as the slightest movement of the gimbal is going to destroy the shots,

I want to do both. I have a tripod to help with any shaking but just not sure if I'll be able to get a good picture with the 8 second shutter speed
2020-3-10
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

PenguinWhale Posted at 3-10 11:22
I usually set the ISO to 100 when taking long exposure. I've only done taken long exposure of water so far but I've been thinking about doing it for star shots. I know with DSLRs and mirrorless cameras they have quite long shutter speeds and was wondering if 8 seconds would be enough for the Osmo Pocket

Yeah, 100 is needed.
But I'm also referring to the desired effect.
2020-3-10
Use props
AlanHd
First Officer
Flight distance : 797365 ft
United Kingdom

PenguinWhale Posted at 3-10 14:56
I want to do both. I have a tripod to help with any shaking but just not sure if I'll be able to get a good picture with the 8 second shutter speed

It’s highly unlikely you’re going to get any sharp photos of the stars, even using my DLSR I have to use a remote shutter release and turn of VR on the lens due the minute. Vibrations they can cause. Using 8 seconds you will have to stack quite a few photos for star trails and with the gimbal being constantly in motion they won’t probably be smooth,That’s assuming the pockets sensor is up to the task.

The pocket is not a good choice for Astro photography I’m afraid, but you know what they say the best camera is the one you have with you.
2020-3-10
Use props
PenguinWhale
lvl.1
New Zealand

Montfrooij Posted at 3-10 23:02
Yeah, 100 is needed.
But I'm also referring to the desired effect.

Can you elaborate? I'm new to photography and only really testing the waters
2020-3-11
Use props
PenguinWhale
lvl.1
New Zealand

AlanHd Posted at 3-10 23:08
It’s highly unlikely you’re going to get any sharp photos of the stars, even using my DLSR I have to use a remote shutter release and turn of VR on the lens due the minute. Vibrations they can cause. Using 8 seconds you will have to stack quite a few photos for star trails and with the gimbal being constantly in motion they won’t probably be smooth,That’s assuming the pockets sensor is up to the task.

The pocket is not a good choice for Astro photography I’m afraid, but you know what they say the best camera is the one you have with you.

I never knew that. I guess I'll stick with long exposure for water/traffic/clouds etc. Thanks for the advice
2020-3-11
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

PenguinWhale Posted at 3-11 01:02
Can you elaborate? I'm new to photography and only really testing the waters

I have done a lot of long exposure photography with my DSLR.
Depending on the speed of your subject, you can get good results with various shutterspeeds.
For the best results, 30s is minimum.
But with (for example) fast flowing water, 8s will be good.
Remember that the camera must be 100% steady.
So even the slightest breeze etc will be an issue.
I doubt that the osmo product range can do this for 30s etc.
My Osmo Mobile for sure can't.
There is a little bit of movement (that is the nature of gimbals, they correct movement by moving around) in longer exposures.
But maybe at 8s you will get away with it.

I would say : go out and try!
2020-3-11
Use props
Curt1591
First Officer
Thailand

water is fine with just a couple seconds - 2 on this exposure
Kanch1.jpg
2020-3-11
Use props
ChrisJG
First Officer
Flight distance : 1725341 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

If you are taking night time photos of the stars, then you might need a much higher iso, and a shutter speed long enough to capture the stars, but not so long that the stars trail due to the rotation of the Earth.
There's a guide called the "500's rule" https://petapixel.com/2015/01/06 ... following-500-rule/
Astrobackyard is the dude to follow. https://astrobackyard.com/7-astrophotography-tips/

In my photo, there's a light, thin layer of cloud that made the stars "glow" and give Venus in the lower right that larger appearance.

Chris
2020-3-16
Use props
astroimagery
New

Turkey

As someone who also does astrophotography I can also confirm that a higher iso depending on what camera you are using is necessary for photographing a night sky.
With a drone the Milky Way would be a great target but you'd need a widefield camera and exposure of at least eight seconds plus an ISO of 400 or more.

The 500 rule will tell you with the camera you have how many seconds you can expose for before your stars start trailing and everything begins to blur. The focal length of your camera lens needs to be lower to extend the exposure time. With a lens of 24mm for example, divide 500 by 24 and you get 20 seconds. for a 50mm lens this will be 10 seconds and so on. This number is not exact though so beware it is only a rough guide.

If you want to dive into astrophotography, though drones are not the best way to do this, try this helpful website:
https://astroimagery.com
2023-8-30
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules