Phantom 2 in the cold no take off
2078 13 2014-11-17
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
andersonpaac
lvl.1

United States

Hi guys, I'm trying to fly my P2 but I'm having troubles with taking off in the cold 32 Fahrenheit or 0 Celsius. The LEDs go blinking red. Does anyone know of a fix?

After looking at the chart I can eliminate the low battery problem as the batteries are at 90% +. I did have to walk for sev

2014-11-17
Use props
mixstreme
lvl.3

United Kingdom

? times blinking red?     GPS?   

Count the flashes and provide us with some video or further information on current setup for best results.
2014-11-17
Use props
away-point
lvl.3

United States

Are you saying when you try to arm, the rear lights flash red?

If so, this can be caused by a battery, even if the battery reports a significant charge level.  Happened to me.  One of my batteries suddenly decided not to work any more.  Charging seems normal, powering up the Phantom seems normal, but it refuses to arm the Phantom.  The rear LEDs flash red a few times, and nothing happens.
2014-11-18
Use props
away-point
lvl.3

United States

Forgot to say... Connect the Phantom to the Assistant Software, and see what it reports about the battery.
2014-11-18
Use props
DJI-DingC
lvl.2

China

mixstreme Posted at 2014-11-18 11:56
? times blinking red?     GPS?   

Count the flashes and provide us with some video or further infor ...

It is more likely a battery error as the environment temperature is quite low.
2014-11-18
Use props
smcbrearty
lvl.3

0 degrees, is the phantom frozen to the ground?  LOL j/k it does sound like a battery issue.  How old is the battery?  How many cycles has it gone through.
2014-11-18
Use props
whyley27
lvl.2

United Kingdom

also make sure ur not in a no fly zone. with the new dji app it wont let you take of if your in one of these zones.
2014-11-18
Use props
andersonpaac
lvl.1

United States

away-point Posted at 2014-11-18 19:17
Are you saying when you try to arm, the rear lights flash red?

If so, this can be caused by a batte ...

I am not in a no-fly zone

Battery cycles are low. Definitely the temperature. The temperature is -7 celsius.

It goes on blinking red as soon as the startup LED sequence are complete.
2014-12-1
Use props
kenargo
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Mine flew 4 flights in 20 F over the weekend.  I keep the batteries in my inner coat pocket, against the body to keep them warm.
2014-12-1
Use props
kjkisatsky
lvl.3

United States

I noticed the tech specs give low end of operating range as zero celsius.  I would be afraid to fly below that, as the diminished discharge due  to cold might result in a very quick reduction in battery power, causing the motors to shut off before you can land.  Unless those flights are very short, I imagine the cold air moving over flying battery would chill it real quick.
2014-12-2
Use props
Gerry1124
Second Officer

United States

kjkisatsky@comc Posted at 2014-12-3 00:42
I noticed the tech specs give low end of operating range as zero celsius.  I would be afraid to fly  ...

The cold does suck the life out of the batteries.  I flew the other day when it was a -3 c and the battery was hitting the 30% mark after about 6 to 7 minutes..  It didn't take long to wear it down.
2014-12-2
Use props
talk2t_c
lvl.4

France

Gerry1124 Posted at 2014-12-3 00:48
The cold does suck the life out of the batteries.  I flew the other day when it was a -3 c and the ...

I've also read that and will soon find out as I plan to do flying in the Pyrenees (south of France).  Will do some tests before the dodgy stuff over the edges etc.  
2014-12-2
Use props
tonyphantom147
lvl.3

United Kingdom

Easy test, immediately fly when it's warm, say from your car, if it works it's the cold.
2014-12-2
Use props
tonyphantom147
lvl.3

United Kingdom

tonyphantom147@ Posted at 2014-12-3 05:57
Easy test, immediately fly when it's warm, say from your car, if it works it's the cold.

I don't mean fly out of your car though, lol?
2014-12-2
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules