Fist flight, remove the gimbal?
2338 4 2014-11-17
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
kenargo
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

I've seen a number of videos (even one from a DJH rep) that suggests to remove the gimbal  for the 1st flights until you get used to flying it.  However, the instructions suggest that removing the gimbal, which I suspect includes removing the "anti-drop" kit would result in me using the spare anti-drop kit pins as the instruction indicates they cannot be reused.

Do I understand the later correctly and do you suggest removing the Vision + gimbal while learning to fly?
2014-11-17
Use props
mixstreme
lvl.3

United Kingdom

Anti drop pins, wow,  I remember them,  cable ties loosely secured are just as good although not cosmetically pleasing........

Some people say remove it (Me included)  others say don't as you wont encounter any issues just as they have never and will never.....  yet the forums are full of people that have issues due to inexperience and damaged gimbals.

If you have £400.00 for a new gimbal , just in case,      then leave it on,  
if not,  It wont hurt to safeguard yourself until you feel proficient enough in landing etc...  
Plus as an added bonus to you for doing such a thing,  you learn to fly and get real orientation from your craft rather than trying to fly from the screen display as many do......

Its like trying to run before you can walk in my opinion.

Another tip ,  try and figure something out to extend your skids (feet) with foam or other suitable material as when learning, sometimes your reluctant to use the required power to launch or over compensate on landings.....  There's a lot of info on YouTube, including beginners setups ,  lessons etc....  do some homework and find what's best for you...

I have 2 very light aliminium hollow poles that stick out 3 inch front and back secured with velcro so can be removed....,  great for sand.
Have fun, Fly safe......
2014-11-17
Use props
Gerry1124
Second Officer

United States

mixstreme Posted at 2014-11-18 11:47
Anti drop pins, wow,  I remember them,  cable ties loosely secured are just as good although not cos ...

I learned with everything on the phantom and only went up a short distance the first few times to build my confidence and learn the controls with small movements.  As I gained confidence and got a phone to connect to the camera, I started learning naza mode.  Now I'm venturing out of sight with full confidence in the machine.
2014-11-17
Use props
mixstreme
lvl.3

United Kingdom

Gerry1124 Posted at 2014-11-18 11:55
I learned with everything on the phantom and only went up a short distance the first few times to  ...

I have actually seen someone open the box set up full fpv and go for it, with no experience or training etc....   no setup on pc......  no care in the world......   It worked well and it suffered no damage, but I was cringing...
Its one of those things,  you are the one that decides what's best for you...   
If your happy to go lightly, just remember to full power to take off,  no gentle lift offs.....
2014-11-17
Use props
Gerry1124
Second Officer

United States

mixstreme Posted at 2014-11-18 12:02
I have actually seen someone open the box set up full fpv and go for it, with no experience or tra ...

I had most of my social security check invested to just fly away
2014-11-17
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules