Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
"New" 5-years-old Ipad won't accept IOS 10
795 16 2020-3-13
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
philgib
lvl.3

France

Yes, 5 years old may seem a long time to the youngest of you, but for the oldest of you (like me), that means nothing.

Well, DJI, the Ipad called "new Ipad", 5-years old, won't accept IOS 10. Meaning that if I want to use the MM with IOS, I have to double the MM cost by purchasing at least a mini-Ipad.

I fail to understand how you try to market a larger base of drone users while forcing them to spend as much money if not more in some new Apple hardware. Why don't you use a software which could be installed on most platforms ? Or open your MM to outsider's software ?

Thanks.

2020-3-13
Use props
JEZ2
lvl.4
Flight distance : 336204 ft
United States

The "New Ipad" or 3rd generation was released in March of 2012, making it now 8 years old.  It was replaced by the 4th generation in October of 2012, meaning the replacement is 7.5 years old (and does use IOS 10).  Regardless of IOS version, the specifications/hardware on those older ipads are not appropriate to mange many modern applications and you will find a number of applicatinos will not run at all on them anymore due to ios and hardware compatibility.  It may be much cheaper to go to an Android device instead of a new ipad.

The Fly App for the mini is only DJI "Certified" for a small number of newer phones at this point as well, and I'm sure they will point out that list here shortly.  You may be fine about using a non-certified device, but I'd be cautious of the support you might get.

2020-3-13
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Yes, 5 years old may seem a long time to the youngest of you, but for the oldest of you (like me), that means nothing.
Your 3rd generation iPad was released in 2012 which makes it almost stone age as far as tablets go.
It has an A5x processor and only 1 GB of RAM and just isn't up to the task of running a demanding app like the DJI Fly app.
If you want to stick with an Apple device, you need something with an A8 processor or above and 4 GB of RAM.
2020-3-13
Use props
philgib
lvl.3

France

JEZ2 Posted at 3-13 05:41
The "New Ipad" or 3rd generation was released in March of 2012, making it now 8 years old.  It was replaced by the 4th generation in October of 2012, meaning the replacement is 7.5 years old (and does use IOS 10).  Regardless of IOS version, the specifications/hardware on those older ipads are not appropriate to mange many modern applications and you will find a number of applicatinos will not run at all on them anymore due to ios and hardware compatibility.  It may be much cheaper to go to an Android device instead of a new ipad.

The Fly App for the mini is only DJI "Certified" for a small number of newer phones at this point as well, and I'm sure they will point out that list here shortly.  You may be fine about using a non-certified device, but I'd be cautious of the support you might get.

It may be much cheaper to go to an Android device instead of a new ipad.

Yup, that is exactly what I am doing with a 150-dollar phone working great with the MM ( Xiaomi Note 7 ) . But  I had this 7.5 years old Ipad as you mentioned ( what ? already 7.5 years ?  ;-)  ) and the screen size and brightness and battery life  is fantastic for this job. But no, I won't spend 800 dollars for another 10" ipad just to use it for a 400 dollars drone.

Anyway, I have been using many different drone apps a few years ago with all the bells and wistles, and those were not so much RAM consuming and would work just fine on a slow processor. There must be things in that DJI fly app I am not aware of ...

What is the brightest 10-inch screen tablet ( on the cheap ) you have been using with the MM please ?
2020-3-13
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello and good day philgib. Thank you for sharing these information with regards to the iPad with IOS 10 for the DJI Mavic Mini and your insights on this matter. I will cascade these information to the designated DJI R&D Team for future evaluation. Again thank you for your valued support.
2020-3-14
Use props
Ice_2k
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1132575 ft
Romania

Labroides Posted at 3-13 06:05you need something with an A8 processor or above and 4 GB of RAM.

That seems a bit much. I’ve used the Fly app with an iPhone 7 (2GB RAM) with no issues.
2020-3-14
Use props
BobWinNV
lvl.4
Flight distance : 284209 ft
  • >>>
United States

Your "New" iPad is a 32 bit device so it would not run DJI Fly app anyway.
2020-3-15
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 12225059 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

philgib Posted at 3-13 06:53
It may be much cheaper to go to an Android device instead of a new ipad.

Xiaomi Mi Pad4    oops   not 10 inch but like a ipad mini.
2020-3-15
Use props
Lucas775
Second Officer
Flight distance : 50642090 ft
  • >>>
United States

Delete all unnecessary icon to free up more GB's.
2020-3-15
Use props
JamieLanger
lvl.1

India

5 years is  a long time. IOS will not get updated on your old I-pad as it is not compatible with old apple devices. So suggest you to get a mini ipad for yourself
2020-3-17
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Lucas775 Posted at 3-15 10:15

Except that storage isn't performance.
Once he's freed up storage on his slow, old 32 bit iPad, how would you make it faster, have more memory and run 64 bit applications?
2020-3-17
Use props
rwynant V1
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4842277 ft
  • >>>
United States

Horse Power is not FREE

Randy
2020-3-17
Use props
philgib
lvl.3

France

Thank you guys for your answers.

JJB, have you personally tested the Xiaomi Mi Pad4 ? This is way cheaper indeed. How is the screen contrat ? Are you comfortable watching it under full bright sun ?

Cheers
2020-3-26
Use props
DaMa
Second Officer
Flight distance : 889662 ft
  • >>>
Germany

philgib Posted at 3-26 23:24
Thank you guys for your answers.

JJB, have you personally tested the Xiaomi Mi Pad4 ? This is way cheaper indeed. How is the screen contrat ? Are you comfortable watching it under full bright sun ?

iPads from generation 4 (from October 12) have recently received an update to "10". Let him search again ...
2020-3-27
Use props
WebParrot
Second Officer
Flight distance : 23625 ft
  • >>>
United States

DaMa Posted at 3-27 00:18
iPads from generation 4 (from October 12) have recently received an update to "10". Let him search again ...

Yep... you're right.  But it's still a 32bit processor.  I think the OS was just one issue for him.
2020-3-27
Use props
WebParrot
Second Officer
Flight distance : 23625 ft
  • >>>
United States

Labroides Posted at 3-17 04:20
Except that storage isn't performance.
Once he's freed up storage on his slow, old 32 bit iPad, how would you make it faster, have more memory and run 64 bit applications?

I just ordered a Mini to add to the stable.
This post raised a curiosity.  Do any of you know where I can look to see which processors are included?

I have both iPad mini's and an iPhone that will work (newer models), but I'm wonder about the new (7th generation) i-pOd.  It has the same processor as the iphone 6-7-8 that are listed as compatible.  AND when you look at the iOS version of Fly, the iPod is listed as compatible with the software.   

Sorry if this seems to hijack the thread, but maybe this could be an option for the OP.  They're available for under $200 US.... way cheaper than an iPad.
2020-3-27
Use props
philgib
lvl.3

France

WebParrot Posted at 3-27 09:57
I just ordered a Mini to add to the stable.
This post raised a curiosity.  Do any of you know where I can look to see which processors are included?

No hijacking taken . That could be a good one !
2020-3-28
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules