Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
ATTOPK
lvl.2
Flight distance : 11345 ft
Italy

EDIT 23/10/20 - SOLUTION TO THE LAST POST =D

Original message :

Hi guys. I spent 10 months trying the Ronin-S getting used to it but I honestly believe that my unit is defective. First, it is impossible that with a GH4 and a 14-140 @ 14mm (both with and without OIS) the roll axis continues to "vibrate" with any setting from the App.
Now I have encountered a NEW problem but it is too complicated to explain it so I created a video for you:
Should I return it? BTW i have the latest firmware.
Thanks
2020-3-13
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Hi ATTOPK, sorry for the troubles with the gimbal, we have forwarded your concern to our engineers for further analysis, we will keep you updated, thanks for your patience.
2020-3-18
Use props
ATTOPK
lvl.2
Italy

Because of the quarantine I decided to make a new video to show you the additional problems I currently have with my Ronin S
2020-4-23
Use props
AntDX316
First Officer
Flight distance : 3394731 ft
  • >>>
United States

Because your settings are set too hard.  You need to forget about the balance test and auto-tune and tune manually.

P-Stiff
I-Strength
D-Filtering

Stiff is how tight the motors are.  Strength is how much it resist from being moved.  Filtering is pretty much a damper but what people don't know is, it adds latency and increases motor heat exponentially from the issues of too much P and I.

The way I do is turn Filtering off.  Adjust stiff until its high enough to not vibrate.  Do the same for I then increase D a bit.  You can't tell if things will vibrate out of control until you do a walk/run test by turning, lowering the gimbal camera, setting it down, etc.  Once you get the mini vibrations out you should be good to go but if you get it wrong and it vibrates, you can cook your motors so check your motor heat.

Also, make sure you have set the hardware to be as balanced physically as possible first.

You can adjust for PID by pushing the camera while it's on the stand and see how it resist but like I said, make sure you do a walk/run/tilt test to ensure nothing is vibrating at any moment.

Also, if you've added too much weight, the Ronin-S isn't powerful enough to handle it.  W/ my A73 it worked fine but w/ the A7R4 on, I had to manually tune and I'm at the very near edge of vibration.  Any lower and the footage isn't stable.  Any higher and it vibrates.

2020-4-29
Use props
ATTOPK
lvl.2
Italy

AntDX316 Posted at 4-29 10:13
Because your settings are set too hard.  You need to forget about the balance test and auto-tune and tune manually.

P-Stiff

Thanks for your detailed explanation, to be honest I have already tried several times even walking or running but "vibrates" anyway. (this time, however, I have not tried)
Not being an expert on gimbals, I always keep the temperature of the engines under control and they have never warmed up probably because the balance is always "EXCELLENT" I often use steadycams so I know how to balance the camera
However, the complete setup (camera + lens with battery and SD card) weighs in all 1.1 Kg it's 2.4 pounds according to Google. Now that the quarantine is less restrictive, I will try to go out with the Ronin-S to do a few tests with the settings.
2020-4-29
Use props
AntDX316
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

ATTOPK Posted at 4-29 10:40
Thanks for your detailed explanation, to be honest I have already tried several times even walking or running but "vibrates" anyway. (this time, however, I have not tried)
Not being an expert on gimbals, I always keep the temperature of the engines under control and they have never warmed up probably because the balance is always "EXCELLENT" I often use steadycams so I know how to balance the camera
However, the complete setup (camera + lens with battery and SD card) weighs in all 1.1 Kg it's 2.4 pounds according to Google. Now that the quarantine is less restrictive, I will try to go out with the Ronin-S to do a few tests with the settings.

you have to mess with the settings and tune manually, if you don't or at least unload the weight then there is nothing you can do but suffer w/ the vibrations forever
2020-4-29
Use props
ATTOPK
lvl.2
Italy

AntDX316 Posted at 4-29 11:07
you have to mess with the settings and tune manually, if you don't or at least unload the weight then there is nothing you can do but suffer w/ the vibrations forever

I'm sorry but why should I lighten the setup if I'm not even 1/3 of the officially supported weight?
2020-4-29
Use props
AntDX316
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

ATTOPK Posted at 4-29 11:36
I'm sorry but why should I lighten the setup if I'm not even 1/3 of the officially supported weight?

I understand but if an axis is overworked than the rest there is only so much that can be done.
2020-4-29
Use props
ATTOPK
lvl.2
Italy

AntDX316 Posted at 4-29 13:18
I understand but if an axis is overworked than the rest there is only so much that can be done.

If the axle is overloaded even if perfectly balanced, I assume that my unit is defective as they are 1/3 of the load declared by DJI and therefore I send it to service.
I just didn't want to send it to service as I should be using it for some projects.
That's why I preferred to try it several times
(unsuccessfully) and then I asked for an opinion here.
2020-4-29
Use props
AntDX316
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

ATTOPK Posted at 4-29 13:41
If the axle is overloaded even if perfectly balanced, I assume that my unit is defective as they are 1/3 of the load declared by DJI and therefore I send it to service.
I just didn't want to send it to service as I should be using it for some projects.
That's why I preferred to try it several times

the only way to tell who is right or wrong is for you to RMA it and if you get the same problems them I am right, if it is fixed then you are right but until then we don't know who is right
2020-4-29
Use props
ATTOPK
lvl.2
Italy

AntDX316 Posted at 4-29 20:31
the only way to tell who is right or wrong is for you to RMA it and if you get the same problems them I am right, if it is fixed then you are right but until then we don't know who is right

I sent the Ronin S to service and today the product has been tested and found to be defective ... So I was right, if anyone cares, I will keep you updated.
2020-5-19
Use props
AntDX316
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

ATTOPK Posted at 5-19 06:14
I sent the Ronin S to service and today the product has been tested and found to be defective ... So I was right, if anyone cares, I will keep you updated.

What was wrong with it?
2020-5-19
Use props
ATTOPK
lvl.2
Italy

AntDX316 Posted at 5-19 11:10
What was wrong with it?

for now they have not given me specifics yet, they have only told me that they have found the problem and that the repair will be free.
2020-5-19
Use props
AntDX316
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

ATTOPK Posted at 5-19 11:24
for now they have not given me specifics yet, they have only told me that they have found the problem and that the repair will be free.

What was wrong with it enough to warrant an RMA from you?
2020-5-19
Use props
ATTOPK
lvl.2
Italy

Wow DJI ...

After a month, it returned with the SAME IDENTICAL problem!
There is not even a piece of paper or an email with a description of what they did ...
They sent it without locking the screws of all 3 axes so it scratched himself well during his return ...

EDIT : Let me show you what i meant in case it was not clear enough
Here you can see my Ronin S against Zhiyun Crane (V1) please tell me if this looks normal to you.

2020-5-28
Use props
ATTOPK
lvl.2
Italy

OK MY MISTAKE!
There is a description of the work done :
"Remark: Warranty: Vibration issues – Micro vibration in video recording – The IMU will be Replaced – A IMU calibration will be perform – Note: Please make sure to properly balance then autotune before usage"
2020-5-29
Use props
PeterRon
New

Slovakia

Hello, I got my Ronin S this week a this is how majority of footage looks like. Definitely there are some micro jitters. I took a time balancing it (app showed me excelent results for all axes) but it seems there is a problem. My firmware is updated to latest version I performed auto tuning . Any advice pls?

.youtube.com/watch?v=1c8FjYE2xBE&feature=youtu.be
2020-5-29
Use props
ATTOPK
lvl.2
Italy

PeterRon Posted at 5-29 11:15
Hello, I got my Ronin S this week a this is how majority of footage looks like. Definitely there are some micro jitters. I took a time balancing it (app showed me excelent results for all axes) but it seems there is a problem. My firmware is updated to latest version I performed auto tuning . Any advice pls?

.youtube.com/watch?v=1c8FjYE2xBE&feature=youtu.be

Try something for me please, set it down on the mini tripod and try to do all the calibration inside the app and then set some keyframe inside the "track" function then post the video.
Cause it seems like i'm the NOT ONLY ONE ON PLANET EARTH with this problem.

they changed the IMO in my unit and the problem persist.
2020-5-29
Use props
ATTOPK
lvl.2
Italy

Oh ... Finally I have found the problem and obviously also a solution, users will encounter the same problem on the DJI RS2 so have fun DJI  = D

Just to be clear, DJI support never helped me in any way, they just wasted my time ... too much ...
I sent the Ronin - S to RMA and they replaced the IMU (for free) ... useless work since the problem is not that and therefore apparently they have not even tested it, neither before nor after.
They ruined my case with a utility knife to cut the tape on the box.

SOLUTION :
I am writing this for users who will encounter the same problem on RS2 and find this post. Unfortunately you will not be able to solve the problem by sending the product to assistance or replacing it with another one. Enjoy your RONIN and have fun with DJI's (useless) support
2020-10-23
Use props
yongjonzy
New

Cameroon

Hello.
Please My DJI Ronin S is having a series problem.  The joystick does not work when prompted, but sometimes when its on, you can barely use it for 1 minute and its stops and and I try to control, nothing happens and it really gets me worried . Is there any solution to it please
2022-5-23
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules