Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Has DJI allowed greater tilt angle for RTH?
123456Next >
10266 207 2020-3-14
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
AntDX316
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3394731 ft
  • >>>
United States

I keep hearing all the stories about people losing their minis in winds 25mph+.  If the drone has a 60° tilt angle it can come back?  I notice my 1108 motor 4S quad has a hard time coming back (very hard time) even at a 45° bank into the high-winds.  I don't have a Mini but I would be going crazy trying to find a solution if I had one.

https://mavicpilots.com/threads/lost-my-mavic-mini-today-i-want-to-understand-what-happened.83407/?utm_source=weekly_email&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=3-14-20

Pretty much all quads should be able to tilt more if allowed at the FC software.  I'd just suggest it for RTH and have it as a secondary option.  Allow greater bank angles for RTH in settings.

A lot of people don't know how drones work.  They just fly them and new people constantly fly them in situations in which the drone cannot handle.  Some people will remain out of the hobby forever.  I started w/ the Spark and that handled 29mph Beach winds like it was no big deal.  I then upgraded to the M2Z after.

If I started off w/ the Mini, I would've quit.
2020-3-14
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello and good day AntDX316. Thank you for giving out these information and for sharing your insights with regards to the DJI Mavic Mini matter. This matter has already been cascaded to our DJI R&D department. In addition the DJI Mavic Mini has a Maximum Wind Speed Resistance of 8 m/s ( Scale 4 ). Again, thank you for continuously supporting DJI and fly safe always.
2020-3-14
Use props
Ian in London
Second Officer
Flight distance : 8330187 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Hitting the RTH option in the Mini actually takes it out of Sports Mode if you're flying in that mode, which makes it even more likely to be overcome by strong wind....  They could definitely improve its RTH capabilities...

Ian
2020-3-14
Use props
AntDX316
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

DJI Stephen Posted at 3-14 11:04
Hello and good day AntDX316. Thank you for giving out these information and for sharing your insights with regards to the DJI Mavic Mini matter. This matter has already been cascaded to our DJI R&D department. In addition the DJI Mavic Mini has a Maximum Wind Speed Resistance of 8 m/s ( Scale 4 ). Again, thank you for continuously supporting DJI and fly safe always.

17mph isn't enough.  Not everyone is knowledgable enough to know this as no certification or licensing is passed before people are allowed to use the Mini.  We can get away with it w/ the Spark but we shouldn't be so ignorant to everyone else.  We should think from the super basics of nothing and go from there.
2020-3-14
Use props
Ice_2k
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1132575 ft
Romania

A 31mph drone handles 29mph winds “like it’s no big deal”? That sounds highly unlikely to me.
2020-3-15
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Ice_2k Posted at 3-15 01:14
A 31mph drone handles 29mph winds “like it’s no big deal”? That sounds highly unlikely to me.

That depends on which direction you fly.
Basic arithmetic strongly suggests that it wasn't a 29 mph wind.
Just the feel of a 29 mph wind on your face is enough to keep most people from attempting to launch.

2020-3-15
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 12225059 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

I just throw my anemometer high in the air ; catching and do a read out of the max wind in m/s.
If > 8 than having a beer, not going to fly with my MM.   

cheers
JJB
2020-3-15
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Sweden

Getting caught in winds that are to strong is not an excuse, tough luck maybe, but that’s about it .
2020-3-15
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

AntDX316 Posted at 3-14 23:51
17mph isn't enough.  Not everyone is knowledgable enough to know this as no certification or licensing is passed before people are allowed to use the Mini.  We can get away with it w/ the Spark but we shouldn't be so ignorant to everyone else.  We should think from the super basics of nothing and go from there.

Thank you for the additional information you have shared with us AntDX316. This information is greatly appreciated. Again thank you for your valued support and fly safe always.
2020-3-15
Use props
Guorium
lvl.4
Flight distance : 513061 ft
Australia

Ian in London Posted at 3-14 23:39
Hitting the RTH option in the Mini actually takes it out of Sports Mode if you're flying in that mode, which makes it even more likely to be overcome by strong wind....  They could definitely improve its RTH capabilities...

Ian

I used the pitch stick to push for faster RTH speed. The mini reached top speed of 46kph as reported by the on-screen telemetry in both P mode -> RTH and S mode ->RTH scenario. What is bad about RTH is if you do not push pitch or lost RC connection it is only going to do it with a top speed of 28.8kph when it is totally capable to do 46kph. I would choose a faster RTH speed than conserving battery during RTH. People can choose not to fly to 20% when hundreds of meters out but strong wind up there may not be obvious to pilots at ground level and better wind RTH wind resistance is needed.
2020-3-15
Use props
120ccpm
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1396755 ft
United States

Topic has been discussed at length here:
https://forum.dji.com/thread-207317-1-1.html
It was a bit of a learning journey for me, but at the end - if I had to re-phrase my request to DJI - I would simply ask for them to increase the max tilt angle allowed during Failsafe RTH. No need for a two-stage RTH (my original idea), nor to increase the RTH Speed: all we want is for the MM to automatically tilt more so it can make progress against stronger headwinds. It's worth noting that the pilot can manually push the MM to S-Mode angles during RTH, but of course this is not possible in case of Failsafe RTH.
2020-3-15
Use props
AntDX316
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

120ccpm Posted at 3-15 15:25
It was a bit of a learning journey for me, but at the end - if I had to re-phrase my request to DJI - I would simply ask for them to increase the max tilt angle allowed during Failsafe RTH. No need for a two-stage RTH (my original idea), nor to increase the RTH Speed: all we want is for the MM to automatically tilt more so it can make progress against stronger headwinds. It's worth noting that the pilot can manually push the MM to S-Mode angles during RTH, but of course this is not possible in case of Failsafe RTH.

I made a post about having an emergency RTH tilt angles last year but I don't have a Mini so I don't really care too much about going crazy pursuing.  If I had one that crashed I would be posting all the time.

I post it every now and then but it's just crazy that it doesn't get made.  It 100% doesn't matter if the camera is looking at the ground.  It's worse to lose your drone.  You can unlock the maximum angle values on other drones but I think the DJI Mavic Mini is built off another engine.

All DJI has to do is enable a secondary feature that users can uncheck or check that makes it where it can go up to 75° of tilt angle in an emergency for RTH.
2020-3-15
Use props
GaryDoug
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1264639 ft
  • >>>
United States

Yep, although some old timers want to keep everything as is and let these drones fall into the ocean and pollute it further with junk plastic, we need a smarter solution. The drone is smart enough to know when it is not making progress in a fail-safe procedure, so let it ramp up the speed to accomplish it's goal. No sensible engineer on earth could argue against that. BSEE 1969.
2020-3-15
Use props
120ccpm
lvl.4
United States

AntDX316 Posted at 3-15 15:46
I made a post about having an emergency RTH tilt angles last year but I don't have a Mini so I don't really care too much about going crazy pursuing.  If I had one that crashed I would be posting all the time.

I post it every now and then but it's just crazy that it doesn't get made.  It 100% doesn't matter if the camera is looking at the ground.  It's worse to lose your drone.  You can unlock the maximum angle values on other drones but I think the DJI Mavic Mini is built off another engine.

All DJI has to do is enable a secondary feature that users can uncheck or check that makes it where it can go up to 75° of tilt angle in an emergency for RTH.

I don't think the MM has enough power to allow that much of an angle, but just switching from the current 20 degrees to 30 (achievable in S-Mode) would be good.
2020-3-15
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Second Officer
United States

JJB* Posted at 3-15 02:13
I just throw my anemometer high in the air ; catching and do a read out of the max wind in m/s.
If > 8 than having a beer, not going to fly with my MM.   

2020-3-15
Use props
AntDX316
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

120ccpm Posted at 3-15 19:47

I don't think the MM has enough power to allow that much of an angle, but just switching from the current 20 degrees to 30 (achievable in S-Mode) would be good.

Is it really only 20°??
2020-3-15
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Second Officer
United States

New pre-take off procedure.
1) Launch helium balloon.
2) Watch balloon as it goes up to planned drone flight altitude
3) If balloon:
goes straight up your good to fly
slowly drifts off you may or may not be okay to fly
4) Attempt to fly lite kite
5) If kite:
flops to ground you are good to fly close to ground
flies stick with kite and forget MM

2020-3-15
Use props
Guorium
lvl.4
Australia

120ccpm Posted at 3-15 15:25

Tilt angle is tied to speed. So is propeller thrust. You wanna make progress against strong wind you have to increase failsafe RTH's default speed to S mode top speed 46kph. For dji engineer it means both increasing motor rpm (thrust) and tilt angle.
2020-3-15
Use props
AntDX316
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Guorium Posted at 3-15 20:24
Tilt angle is tied to speed. So is propeller thrust. You wanna make progress against strong wind you have to increase failsafe RTH's default speed to S mode top speed 46kph. For dji engineer it means both increasing motor rpm (thrust) and tilt angle.

You cannot increase the speed if it's at maximum tilt.  You need more tilt unless you have a torquey setup that you can just accelerate even with 5° of tilt.  I've never seen so much tilt required on a small framed quad before.  You don't really know how much tilt angle is required compared to the very big ones.
2020-3-15
Use props
Guorium
lvl.4
Australia

AntDX316 Posted at 3-15 20:41
You cannot increase the speed if it's at maximum tilt.  You need more tilt unless you have a torquey setup that you can just accelerate even with 5° of tilt.

But why are you telling me this? Mini does not hit max tilt currently in failsafe RTH.
2020-3-15
Use props
AntDX316
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Guorium Posted at 3-15 20:47
But why are you telling me this? Mini does not hit max tilt currently in failsafe RTH.

It doesn't??  I didn't expect the design to be that bad.  How do you know it doesn't hit max tilt?
2020-3-15
Use props
AntDX316
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Guorium Posted at 3-15 14:35
I used the pitch stick to push for faster RTH speed. The mini reached top speed of 46kph as reported by the on-screen telemetry in both P mode -> RTH and S mode ->RTH scenario. What is bad about RTH is if you do not push pitch or lost RC connection it is only going to do it with a top speed of 28.8kph when it is totally capable to do 46kph. I would choose a faster RTH speed than conserving battery during RTH. People can choose not to fly to 20% when hundreds of meters out but strong wind up there may not be obvious to pilots at ground level and better wind RTH wind resistance is needed.

If you are going w/ the wind that doesn't really count.
2020-3-15
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

AntDX316 Posted at 3-15 15:46

You should get a job as head of DJI's engineering design department.
One question ... if your drone tilts 75°, where is it going to get enough lift from to prevent it falling to the ground??
2020-3-15
Use props
AntDX316
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Labroides Posted at 3-15 21:43
You should get a job as head of DJI's engineering design department.
One question ... if your drone tilts 75°, where is it going to get enough lift from to prevent it falling to the ground??

75° is enough.  I mean, you can even do 90° w/ enough power.
2020-3-15
Use props
Haggi
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2581785 ft
Norway

75° is crazy.
Almost impossible to fly straight over distance.

It's not a FPV racer, it's a flying camera.
Maybe 40-45° would be a reasonable goal.
2020-3-15
Use props
Guorium
lvl.4
Australia

AntDX316 Posted at 3-15 22:50

That is far fetched... It is a quad not a fixed-wing.
2020-3-15
Use props
Keule
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3733015 ft
  • >>>
Germany

Can you elaborate on how a quadcopter produces enough lift at 90° tilt???
Explain _1_ in the image below:

You should really educate yourself on basic aerodynamic principles ...
2020-3-15
Use props
AntDX316
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Keule Posted at 3-15 23:26
Can you elaborate on how a quadcopter produces enough lift at 90° tilt???
Explain _1_ in the image below:

If you are thinking soley from DJI manufactured drones you wouldn't understand.  You can make quads that got 165mph and beyond.

If you are high-enough altitude you can even 180° to the ground.

It's like trying to understand how to buy a $1B yacht working 40 hours a week or even winning the lottery not beyond $1B.  It can be done, just beyond the methods we are used to.  There are also a lot of other methods that exist that people aren't accustomed to that tech would eventually reveal in which it was going to but the coronavirus code executed by the creators put a stop to that or at least for now?
2020-3-15
Use props
Keule
lvl.4
  • >>>
Germany

AntDX316 Posted at 3-15 23:52
If you are thinking soley from DJI manufactured drones you wouldn't understand.  You can make quads that got 165mph and beyond.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4QOgUEbsoMw

Again, just answer my question (and BTW, it's the DJI Forum and about the Mini not about racing quads)
2020-3-15
Use props
AntDX316
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Keule Posted at 3-15 23:57
Again, just answer my question (and BTW, it's the DJI Forum and about the Mini not about racing quads)

With enough power, you can do 89.9999° of tilt and still have lift.  As to the calculations of the speed required to achieve level-flight, I do not have.
2020-3-16
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

AntDX316 Posted at 3-16 00:09
With enough power, you can do 89.9999° of tilt and still have lift.  As to the calculations of the speed required to achieve level-flight, I do not have.

The first plane can do all kinds of things that the second one can't.
It's the same as the Mini ... it just doesn't have what it would take to make it do what some of the people here would like.
The Mini is a cheap low performance toy drone.
Making it tilt firther won't make it into a race machine.

A2.jpg
A1.jpg
2020-3-16
Use props
Keule
lvl.4
  • >>>
Germany

AntDX316 Posted at 3-16 00:09

No, you can't have enough lift with 89.999° tilt to fly at a given altitude.
Why? DJI quads only have a limited amount of power available (e.g. max. propeller RPM) and there is more to think about:
all kinds of drag which come with aerodynamics:  parasitic drag, (consisting of form drag, skin friction drag), lift-induced drag, and wave drag.
2020-3-16
Use props
Ice_2k
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1132575 ft
Romania

that's some solid dodging of the question right there ) But sure, "let's imagine the drone has infinite power", why not, seems constructive.......
2020-3-16
Use props
AntDX316
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

This is also possible too.
2020-3-16
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

AntDX316 Posted at 3-16 01:36
This is also possible too.
[view_image]

OK .. genius.
Now explain how that's at all relevant to the discussion?
2020-3-16
Use props
AntDX316
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Labroides Posted at 3-16 02:18
OK .. genius.
Now explain how that's at all relevant to the discussion?

It all relates to lift.
2020-3-16
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

AntDX316 Posted at 3-16 02:30
It all relates to lift.

Yes ... and ??
Where's your hyper-tilted Mini going to get it's lift from???
Is convection going to keep it in the air?

ps ... the only correct response is to realise you got it wrong.
Don't try to continue the discussion with more rambling irrelevancise.
2020-3-16
Use props
120ccpm
lvl.4
United States

A tilt angle of 75 is unrealistic for the MM, it simply doesn't have enough power. P-Mode is limited to 20 degrees, S-Mode to 30: from the logs, it seems autonomous RTH is around 20, and can be increased to 30 by the pilot. I find legitimate to ask DJI to increase the (autonomous) RTH angle to 25 or even 30 as we know the MM can do that, but we'll never see 75. These are aerial photography drones, not FPV racers.
2020-3-16
Use props
Flycaster
lvl.4
United States

IMHO, the Mini was rushed to market for the holidays, and has barely marginal power to do what "it can/supposed to do".....
Let alone "increasing the angle of attack"..
Just not there, battery, prop/motor/ESC combination.
All to be sub 250grm...
2020-3-16
Use props
Flycaster
lvl.4
United States

IMHO, the Mini was rushed to market for the holidays, and has barely marginal power to do what "it can/supposed to do".....
Let alone "increasing the angle of attack"..
Just not there, battery, prop/motor/ESC combination.
All to be sub 250grm...
2020-3-16
Use props
123456Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules