World War II Quarantine Anti Aircraft Site, East Arm Darwin
416 8 2020-3-14
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
King_Flight
lvl.4
Flight distance : 839459 ft
Australia

Being a strategic Allied military base during World War II, Darwin was the target of multiple Japanese air raids, with the first in February 1942. More bombs were dropped on the city in this raid than on Pearl Harbor two months earlier. Savage air raids continued to rain across the Top End during World War II, leading to a repositioning of armed forces in the Darwin region. Adelaide River, 113km south of Darwin, become a huge base for Australian and American headquarters. During the period February 1942 to November 1943, Australia came under attack on nearly 100 occasions by the Japanese!

2020-3-14
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

Interesting location. I looked it up and the site is not close to the town or the airfield, so what was it meant to protect?
2020-3-14
Use props
King_Flight
lvl.4
Australia

Geebax Posted at 3-14 17:50
Interesting location. I looked it up and the site is not close to the town or the airfield, so what was it meant to protect?

From what I gather, back In the day it was protecting entry to the harbour plus a lot of the bases that had been made to train and deploy troops etc.  also a lot of war ships were in the harbour so helped protect them. Thank you for watching.
2020-3-14
Use props
King_Flight
lvl.4
Australia

I forgot - there is another bigger set of cannons at East Point which probably did most of the defending.
2020-3-14
Use props
EdM
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1491814 ft
  • >>>
United States

Interesting subject, well done.
2020-3-14
Use props
ALABAMA
First Officer
Flight distance : 10442687 ft
United States

Nice job!  Lots of history there.
2020-3-15
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

King_Flight Posted at 3-14 20:56
I forgot - there is another bigger set of cannons at East Point which probably did most of the defending.

Yes, they were probably designed to defend the city against a naval attack. Thank you.
2020-3-15
Use props
Cetacean
Captain
Flight distance : 2528264 ft
  • >>>
United States

King_Flight Posted at 3-14 20:56

Aloha King,

There are two types of gun emplacements in this discussion.  The video is about the foundation for anti-aircraft guns and the East Point emplacement is for Coastal Defense.  We have them here in Hawai'i.

Aloha and Drone On!
2020-3-16
Use props
sky wombat
First Officer
Flight distance : 1454078 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Pretty close Geebax, it all happens in Darwin
2020-3-16
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules