Mavic mini drifts while hovering
15767 36 2020-3-14
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fans5f57f282
lvl.1
United States

Hello all,

I received my mavic mini 3/11/2020, after I opened I did a compass calibration and began flying, this day was very sunny and barely any wind at all. It had no problem to hover solid as a rock

I tried to fly it last night as of 3/13/2020 and I knew I would expect it to go crazy as the sensors were off. It did fly crazy and had to avoid obsticals while hovering  

Today 3/14/2020 it was very cloudy,some light  wind. It was no better it would hover and drop down a foot and move side to side. I ran a imu and compass calibration. I also refreshed the firmware. Nothing changed. Seems like it’s struggling to hover.

I have not flown it on a nice sunny day with very good wether like the first day I did.This doesn’t effect the drone that much but it would be nice to take videos and not have it move up and down.. would the could weather effect the hover?  Could a cloudy day with no sunlight effect the hover ?

Any help is appreciated,

2020-3-14
Use props
Cetacean
First Officer
Flight distance : 2528264 ft
  • >>>
United States

Aloha fans5f57,

The Mavic Mini takes a much longer time period to get the full (9, I think) number of satellites for the GPS+GLONASS (GNSS) positioning system to function properly.  (The Mavics usually announce or indicate with the GPS Icon that there are enough satellites to take off.)  When there are not enough satellites, there is a warning (or indication) and the Mavic Mini flies in ATTI mode and must be tightly controlled by the operator as you are noting.

You might want to start the take-off sequence but wait until you get enough satellites before you actually take off.  It will only take an extra minute or two.  The performance will be much more rewarding.

Hope this helps!

Aloha and Drone On!
2020-3-15
Use props
m80116
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3264131 ft
Italy

When it's too dark you should receive a warning message, as when it is too windy.... you should always check the weather for nice clear sky and very low winds at altitude with UAV app or other online wind forecast source.

Also, to have the best hovering the VPS sensor at the bottom must be within range and the Aircraft should have plenty of sky on every side up to almost 90° angle from the top.
2020-3-15
Use props
fans5f57f282
lvl.1
United States

Cetacean Posted at 3-15 01:36
Aloha fans5f57,

The Mavic Mini takes a much longer time period to get the full (9, I think) number of satellites for the GPS+GLONASS (GNSS) positioning system to function properly.  (The Mavics usually announce or indicate with the GPS Icon that there are enough satellites to take off.)  When there are not enough satellites, there is a warning (or indication) and the Mavic Mini flies in ATTI mode and must be tightly controlled by the operator as you are noting.

Thank you for the reply, I will try this today make sure I get enough satellites and do a compass calibration before taking off.   
2020-3-15
Use props
jonny007
lvl.4
Germany

If there are enough satellites (9 or more), the drone should hover absolutely stable, regardless of whether it is dark or bright. If the problem is still persists, you can downgrade the firmware to 1.0.3 and try again. Some users say that the stable flight behavior deteriorated from 1.0.4.
2020-3-15
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello and good day. I am sorry to read and to know what is happening on your DJI Mavic Mini. Can you please try to check if there are enough satellites on the DJI Fly application when this issue is happening? May we also know if you have check the propellers of the said drone if there are damages that might cause this issue. Please keep us posted on the said issue for us to be able to assist you further. Thank you.
2020-3-15
Use props
Lucas775
Second Officer
Flight distance : 50642090 ft
  • >>>
United States

Compass calibration always help.  
2020-3-15
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Lucas775 Posted at 3-15 10:08
Compass calibration always help.

If he's already calibrated the compass, recalibration won't do anything.

The OP hasn't described the drifting that concerns him.
It might even be quite normal.
This is what the specs say ....
    Hovering Accuracy Range
    Vertical:  ±0.5 m (with GPS Positioning)
    Horizontal: ±1.5 m (with GPS Positioning)
2020-3-15
Use props
fans5f57f282
lvl.1
United States

Okay so I took it out today which it is 40 degree very little wind and cloudy. I turned it on. Waited , got 12 satellites, home was updated, I ran a compass calibration. Once I took it up while hovering it still drifts sideways and up and down. Propellers are perfectly fine. Going to downgrade firmware and see if anything.  
2020-3-15
Use props
deathsquad
lvl.4
Flight distance : 6763835 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Drifting can be fixed with IMU calibration. Are there any error messages displayed before you take off?
2020-3-15
Use props
fans5f57f282
lvl.1
United States

deathsquad Posted at 3-15 14:01
Drifting can be fixed with IMU calibration. Are there any error messages displayed before you take off?

No errors, I did an imu and still same thing
2020-3-15
Use props
fans5f57f282
lvl.1
United States

Just an update. I downgraded to last firmware for both aircraft and remote, stil did the same thing. I then upgraded back to current version. Still no change

It seems to have trouble hovering as it moves side to side and jitters. Even in the air I had it move down about 3 feet by itself.

I took it up to 400 ft where their were 15 satilites and it seemed to hover perfectly but when I brought it back down it still jitters and move side to side.. is their a fix to this at all ? Besides using my care refresh and getting a new aircraft?
2020-3-15
Use props
deathsquad
lvl.4
Flight distance : 6763835 ft
  • >>>
Australia

I would replace the props just to see if there is any issue there. It doesn't sound right at all.
2020-3-15
Use props
Cetacean
First Officer
Flight distance : 2528264 ft
  • >>>
United States

fans5f57f282 Posted at 3-15 15:17
Just an update. I downgraded to last firmware for both aircraft and remote, stil did the same thing. I then upgraded back to current version. Still no change

It seems to have trouble hovering as it moves side to side and jitters. Even in the air I had it move down about 3 feet by itself.

Aloha fans5f57,

Please note Labroides Post #8.  The behavior you are describing seems to be within the SPECs as noted by Labroides.  Personally, I have messed with some of the options and had my P3 Pro behave very well after a while but I have never had an expectation with my Mavic Mini that needed tweaking.  The Mavic Mini is not supposed to be rock solid.  You have to buy a full service Mavic to get that.

Do you live in a humid environment?  The altitude is set by the barometer and humidity is known to affect any barometer setting.  What is the surface you are flying over?  Is it a good surface for the sensors?  Do you have the Vision Positioning Sensors (VPS) enabled?  There are a number of possible reasons that you may not be getting the performance you are expecting.

One of the more fun things about DJI products is that you get to figure out the details of drone performance that make your flights successful.  Think through all the information we have given you and perform all the calibrations, etc. and solve your problem.  That is the fun part.  You will learn a lot in many areas as you proceed to resolve your issues.

Hope this helps!

Aloha and Drone On!
2020-3-15
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

fans5f57f282 Posted at 3-15 13:57
Okay so I took it out today which it is 40 degree very little wind and cloudy. I turned it on. Waited , got 12 satellites, home was updated, I ran a compass calibration. Once I took it up while hovering it still drifts sideways and up and down. Propellers are perfectly fine. Going to downgrade firmware and see if anything.

Before anyone can give you any help, we'd have to know more aboutwhat your drone is doing.
Something more detailed than drifts while hovering.
How much is it drifting?

And read my previous post:
https://forum.dji.com/forum.php? ... =210730&pid=2105802

2020-3-15
Use props
Juan_jsg
New
Flight distance : 922 ft
Spain

I am experiencing exactly the same issue with a new Mavic Mini that I just received through the DJI Care Refresh service. With GPS, the drone is able to hover in a position with decent accuracy. Without GPS, using the vision positioning, the drone drift randomly to the left, right, forward or backward (I have a big basement in which I can test indoors safely) I suffered a crash because of this. Sometimes the drift happens at max speed and it is difficult to control). Altitude is pretty stable however. I have tried to calibrate IMU and compass several times. Replaced the propellers. Also upgraded and downgraded the firmware. No solution so far.

I am using the propeller guard, and I got some error messages regarding payload. Not sure if that is related.

Any solutions, please let me know.

Thanks, Juan
2020-7-30
Use props
K6CCC
lvl.4
Flight distance : 651683 ft
United States

For whatever it's worth, I have on several occasions, had my Mini in a hover within one foot of my face - and it just stays there.  Last weekend in somewhat windy conditions, I did a lot of very close in manuvering within a foot or two of several different objects including flying under easy-up canopies and around the legs of such, into a roll up door of a garage (rolled up obviously), and close proximity to some satellite antennas on vehicles.  Except when it is very windy or gusty, it's hover performance downright amazes me.
2020-7-30
Use props
Cients
lvl.4
Flight distance : 5537369 ft
Portugal

Was the problem solved?

I think I have the same problem and it is a new Mini 2 model acquired only a few days ago.
Appreciate some advice.
Thank you!
2020-12-14
Use props
osmo cheng
New
Malaysia

hey me too. Just bought the Mini2 yesterday. I need to fly indoor immediately to shoot a group photo. It was swaying left n right, up n down. I had a hard time composing the shots. It says No GPS, but i flew anyway. I need that shot. I have not tried it outdoors yet though. Could it be the GPS issue? If yes, then flying indoors is a no no
2020-12-19
Use props
mark117h
lvl.4
Flight distance : 241306 ft
United Kingdom

osmo cheng Posted at 12-19 11:38
hey me too. Just bought the Mini2 yesterday. I need to fly indoor immediately to shoot a group photo. It was swaying left n right, up n down. I had a hard time composing the shots. It says No GPS, but i flew anyway. I need that shot. I have not tried it outdoors yet though. Could it be the GPS issue? If yes, then flying indoors is a no no

Have you thought to hold the mini2 in your hands and just take the photos that you may need like this, it still will take the images and this way you do not risk crashing as the drones props are not powered up. Good thing is though, that you can still take the images and video footage, especially when indoors.
2020-12-19
Use props
Cients
lvl.4
Flight distance : 5537369 ft
Portugal

osmo cheng Posted at 12-19 11:38

Try a IMU calibration.
Probably it will solve the problem.
At least in my case did.
Have safe flights!
2020-12-20
Use props
djiuser_oZjMfSda8suw
lvl.1

Australia

Hi the mini 1 and 2 downward sensor is not powerful enough in low light, they can firmware amplify or increase sensor range, as these sensors are cheap compared to mavic 2
2021-6-8
Use props
djiuser_LbxBirNCsDHk
lvl.1
United States

I've had my Mini 2 for a couple months. Yesterday after having some exterior work done on the house, I figured that I would inspect it with the drone. Upon power up, I received the note for an update and proceeded with the download and installed. Ran through the calibrations, and launched from the driveway. No issues with initial hover and even checked out some basic maneuvers over the driveway (no issues). I moved the mini 2 facing the house and about 3 feet away from the house and then took it up about 25 feet for inspection of siding. It was hovering solid with little to no breeze. After about 30 seconds,  the drone started drifting slowly towards the house. I pulled back on the right joystick (default mode) to no avail, as it continued its forward drift! ... crash and plummet! The body had multiple fractures, but was still intact. However the camera neck was broken... Why the steady drift forward, and why the loss of control??? Possible bug in latest update?
2021-6-16
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 12225059 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

djiuser_LbxBirNCsDHk Posted at 6-16 15:46
I've had my Mini 2 for a couple months. Yesterday after having some exterior work done on the house, I figured that I would inspect it with the drone. Upon power up, I received the note for an update and proceeded with the download and installed. Ran through the calibrations, and launched from the driveway. No issues with initial hover and even checked out some basic maneuvers over the driveway (no issues). I moved the mini 2 facing the house and about 3 feet away from the house and then took it up about 25 feet for inspection of siding. It was hovering solid with little to no breeze. After about 30 seconds,  the drone started drifting slowly towards the house. I pulled back on the right joystick (default mode) to no avail, as it continued its forward drift! ... crash and plummet! The body had multiple fractures, but was still intact. However the camera neck was broken... Why the steady drift forward, and why the loss of control??? Possible bug in latest update?

Hi,

If you want some help/advice do upload your flightlog for this incident.
Flightlog will explain what happend.
use this link > https://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/
and put the uploaded link on here.

Or just put a cloudlink to your flightlog.

Log are to be found you mobile device.

PS mayby better to start a new thread with your incident story
cheers
JJB

2021-6-16
Use props
djiuser_LbxBirNCsDHk
lvl.1
United States

JJB* Posted at 6-16 23:42
Hi,

I have uploaded my flight log from June 15.
2021-6-18
Use props
djiuser_LbxBirNCsDHk
lvl.1
United States

JJB* Posted at 6-16 23:42
Hi,

I have uploaded my flight log from June 15. Glued neck and appears to have full gimbal motion upon power up, however, currently the mini 2 flashes All colors with following errors: Gimbal unable to connect 40012, IMU initializing 30066, GPS signal weak 30049, No GPS signal 30007. I cannot seem to calibrate gimbal, IMU, or compass. Is this drone unfixable at this point?
2021-6-18
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Netherlands

djiuser_LbxBirNCsDHk Posted at 6-18 06:39
I have uploaded my flight log from June 15.

oke, but i cannot see it ofcourse...

so add the uploaded phantomhelp link on here

cheers
JJB
2021-6-18
Use props
djiuser_LbxBirNCsDHk
lvl.1
United States

Here is my flight log link...

https://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/97CG60L24J665Q5SQFTK
2021-6-20
Use props
Deltaflight
lvl.1
Flight distance : 4642 ft
United States

March 15, 2022: Had a similar problem today that scared me greatly. This was my 16th flight since having purchased my Mavic Mini. Anyways, I took off and immediately knew something was wrong. In the previous 15 flights, the Mini would lift to about 3ft or so, and advise the home point had been updated. Not this flight. Mini lifted to about 3ft or so and began immediately drifting rightward and climbing without any stick input. Also the "home point as been updated" message was absent. As soon as I recognized this anomaly, I entered downward & left stick input. The drone flew forward clipping a small evergreen bush and crashed to the ground ending upside down. Fortunately there was no visible damage and I was later able to accomplish a successful flight. But this has me worried. After the crash the APP had a comment stating there was an IMU error. Could anyone provide any input as to why this occurred? I've been in aviation for years so part of my preflight routine is to do a visual check of the aircraft including blades, and blade screws. Similar to doing a walk around of the aircraft checking for leaks, lights, engines, etc. etc. Secondly, I always check firmware updates to insure I'm current. Please any insight would be welcome. Michael
2022-3-16
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Netherlands

Deltaflight Posted at 3-16 22:01
March 15, 2022: Had a similar problem today that scared me greatly. This was my 16th flight since having purchased my Mavic Mini. Anyways, I took off and immediately knew something was wrong. In the previous 15 flights, the Mini would lift to about 3ft or so, and advise the home point had been updated. Not this flight. Mini lifted to about 3ft or so and began immediately drifting rightward and climbing without any stick input. Also the "home point as been updated" message was absent. As soon as I recognized this anomaly, I entered downward & left stick input. The drone flew forward clipping a small evergreen bush and crashed to the ground ending upside down. Fortunately there was no visible damage and I was later able to accomplish a successful flight. But this has me worried. After the crash the APP had a comment stating there was an IMU error. Could anyone provide any input as to why this occurred? I've been in aviation for years so part of my preflight routine is to do a visual check of the aircraft including blades, and blade screws. Similar to doing a walk around of the aircraft checking for leaks, lights, engines, etc. etc. Secondly, I always check firmware updates to insure I'm current. Please any insight would be welcome. Michael

Hi,

Best to get help is to upload your flightlog for this flight.

use > https://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/

The most important pre-flight check is missing in your  text ;
Always check before takeoff the compass heading in the map view in the app and compare to the actual drone heading. If not the same : do not fly!

Homepoint message is the moment the GPS icon turns white (top right in the app)

So guess : you did take-off with no GPS lock and/or had a compass error.
BUT log will explain what really happend.

cheers
JJB

2022-3-17
Use props
Deltaflight
lvl.1
United States

JJB* Posted at 3-17 05:54
Hi,

Best to get help is to upload your flightlog for this flight.

Thank you JJB. Great info.

Michael
2022-3-17
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Netherlands

Deltaflight Posted at 3-17 21:03
Thank you JJB. Great info.

Michael

My pleasure Michael, but i do not see your log...to explain better  ;-)
2022-3-18
Use props
Deltaflight
lvl.1
United States

JJB* Posted at 3-18 00:24
My pleasure Michael, but i do not see your log...to explain better  ;-)

JJB, not quite sure how to provide this info. Happy to do it as it might articulate what went wrong. I've gone into my profile setting within the APP and can see my individual flights. But I do not see any way to export the data. Any suggestions? And please forgive me. I'm sure how to do this has been re-hashed over and over. I'm just swamped at work right now with little time to research anything other than to show up on time at work LOL. Again, thank you.

Michael
2022-3-19
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 15997 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

What phone are you using?
What sort of computer are you using?
What version number of the FLY App are you using?

I connect my phone to my computer via USB cable and then use the computer to explore the phone and retrieve the flight logs and thats's with Android, a Windows laptop, varies (later versions of the App store the logs in a different place when compared to the previous versions so you need to know where to look).
Downloading the logs can also be done with (Android-Macbook) and (iPhone-Windows) and (iPhone-Macbook) combinations too.

2022-3-19
Use props
Guorium
lvl.4
Flight distance : 513061 ft
Australia

how much is it moving on its own?
check spec of mini. It will not be rock steady once it is up there with gps and baro positioning only. Low altitude you can have vps which makes it more stable
2022-3-19
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Netherlands

Deltaflight Posted at 3-19 01:42
JJB, not quite sure how to provide this info. Happy to do it as it might articulate what went wrong. I've gone into my profile setting within the APP and can see my individual flights. But I do not see any way to export the data. Any suggestions? And please forgive me. I'm sure how to do this has been re-hashed over and over. I'm just swamped at work right now with little time to research anything other than to show up on time at work LOL. Again, thank you.

Michael

Hi,

The link in my post #32  shows the information needed how to find and upload your log.
Flightlogs.txt are your mobile device.

cheers
JJB
2022-3-19
Use props
ImFlying!
lvl.2
Flight distance : 28173 ft
United States

That's seem odd.  My MM is rock solid when hovering.  Could be not enough satellites as others have mentioned.  I get that behavior when flying indoors and limited GPS.
2022-3-22
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules