3307 18 2020-3-15
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Illuminations
First Officer
Flight distance : 13 ft
  • >>>
United States

I have always wanted to fly, whether in superhero fantasies or in teenage dreams of becoming an airplane pilot, the wild blue yonder has always called to me. As UAVs began to grow in popularity, I watched with longing footage of drone pilots taking to the skies, but for some time the only quadcopters I could afford were but mere toys that could not truly sate my apetite for flight. It was not until the DJI Spark that the barrier of entry became low enough for my family to afford, and on Christmas Morning my new buzzing wings, my electronic eye in the sky lay waiting beneath the tree.

Unfortunately, the weather that holiday season was grim indeed for budding aeronauts - a gray melange of leaden clouds, torrential rains and soggy snow that is so typical of Western Washington prevented me from taking to the air for many days. Eventually though the rain subsided, and I was finally able to take my first tentative steps against the vicelike grip of gravity to dance among the winter skies. That first flight was shortly lived, as I was both overly cautious and equipped with only a single battery. That day I only flew for a few glorious minutes before it was time to recharge my drone, but that was enough to spark my enthusiasm for this newfound hobby.

The video above represents both my first flgiht, as well as those that followed over the next few days. I survived many a close call, with trees, houses, and once a low battery that very nearly sent my drone plummiting into the watery depths of a swamp. However, my luck held, and I persevered - never again would my eyes be bound to earth.

A few tips for those considering buying their first drone:

1. Invest in a "fly more" kit with extra batteries and accessories - it's a better value in the long run than buying it piecemeal,  and you'll likely buy it all eventually anyway if you enjoy the flying at all.

2. You need confidence to fly well, but when you're starting out caution is wise indeed. Keep the drone nearby and get a feel for the controls. Don't take it more than hundred feet away from you till you are quite comfortable with the controls, as well as with the battery and signal indicators.

3.  Be extra careful when returning from a flight if ther are trees and other obstacles about. It's best to maintain good clearance above the tallest objects around until you're directly above your landing point, then decend. The one time I ever crashed was when I was descending as I returned in gusty weather - the wind caught my drone as I was passing by a tree and pushed it sidways into a branch. If I'd flown straight back at a high elevation and then descended straight down I wouldn't have crashed.

This post contains more resources

You need to Login Before they can download or view these resources, Don’t have an account?Register now

x
2020-3-15
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

One of the better entries
2020-3-16
Use props
Illuminations
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Montfrooij Posted at 3-16 07:35
One of the better entries

Thank you!
2020-3-16
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

You're welcome!
2020-3-16
Use props
maddox
First Officer
Malaysia

Thanks for sharing! Nice work, good luck!
2020-3-17
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

Congratulations!
2020-3-19
Use props
Illuminations
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Thank you very much!
2020-3-20
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

You're welcome!
2020-3-20
Use props
Woe
Captain
Flight distance : 4129268 ft
  • >>>
United States

Awesome footage and captures.
2020-3-25
Use props
Illuminations
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Woe Posted at 3-25 06:32
Awesome footage and captures.

Thank you!
2020-3-26
Use props
Woe
Captain
Flight distance : 4129268 ft
  • >>>
United States

You're welcome
2020-3-26
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Nice flying.  
2020-3-27
Use props
Illuminations
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Thank you!
2020-3-28
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Congrats on winning,  your footage is great.  
2020-5-22
Use props
Illuminations
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

DAFlys Posted at 5-22 02:21
Congrats on winning,  your footage is great.

Thank you!
2020-5-27
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

You're very welcome.
2020-5-28
Use props
DAFlys