Mapping for P4P+
1731 17 2020-3-19
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Barneyw
lvl.1
Australia

Hi all

Recent P4P+ V2 owner plus first time poster and have been looking at the P4 Multispectral to the fleet to broaden capabilty.

So like most things I research stuff I am going to layout a fair bit of money for quite thoroughly.

What I am about to post has been posted before ad nauseum so i apologise in advance but I there is a nuance to my post I believe.

I was  lokking at mapping for the P4P+ and after googling and youtubing to my dismay and disappointment I doscovered that there was no mapping option for the P4P+. I have written to DJI and have expressed how let down I felt after having bought perceivably a drone with less capability than the standard P4P+.

As I said I do a fair bit of research and while doing this I stumbled across the P4P RTK with the built in screen similar to P4P+ and again to my dismay discovered that this controller has mission mapping programme built in.

I find this quite bizaar and have to ask readers and DJI directly WHY????

How is it that two controllers that for all intents and purposes do the same thing but for some reason one lacks functionality when it comes to mission planning.

I know the RTK is a 'horses for courses' drone but it just seems strange that such a basic function is not available on the P4P+ despite the fact that you pay extra but for less capability.

This has been an ongoing source of angst amongst P4P+ owners so come on DJI how about a fix.

Cheers
BW     
2020-3-19
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Hi Barneyw, the previous Phantom Series drones including P4P+ were built around professional photographers and hobbyists, the Phantom 4 RTK was designed for industrial users for high-precision mapping and other data acquisition missions. The hardware is different and neither the market. We appreciate your understanding.
2020-3-20
Use props
djiuser_Rur0DUOrTfxT
lvl.1
Canada

I have just bought a Phantom 4pro plus V2.0 for my company. Was told it would do everything that the RTK version would do. I can’t find anything on the smart controller that will allow me to fly flight lines and automatically take pictures. I know the RTK version has something that will allow it to do it. What am I missing? What needs to be downloaded to make this work??? Getting very sorry I bought this
2020-3-20
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

djiuser_Rur0DUOrTfxT Posted at 3-20 18:14
I have just bought a Phantom 4pro plus V2.0 for my company. Was told it would do everything that the RTK version would do. I can’t find anything on the smart controller that will allow me to fly flight lines and automatically take pictures. I know the RTK version has something that will allow it to do it. What am I missing? What needs to be downloaded to make this work??? Getting very sorry I bought this

"Was told it would do everything that the RTK version would do."

Who told you that? Did you independantly verify that it was true before buying? I have never heard that said, nor have I seen anything in print that suggests the P4PV2 would 'do everything the the RTK would do'. Why would DJI bring out an RTK version if the P4PV2 could do the same job?
2020-3-20
Use props
David Martin Graff
First Officer
Flight distance : 106566408 ft
  • >>>
United States

Nicely done - thanks again for sharing!
2020-3-21
Use props
djiuser_Rur0DUOrTfxT
lvl.1
Canada

Geebax Posted at 3-20 19:13

Who told you that? Did you independantly verify that it was true before buying? I have never heard that said, nor have I seen anything in print that suggests the P4PV2 would 'do everything the the RTK would do'. Why would DJI bring out an RTK version if the P4PV2 could do the same job?

I’m not trying to pick a fight or start an argument with anyone. I did all the research I could, nowhere did it indicate that some sort of flight mapping didn’t com with the smart controller. All I am trying to do is simply find some sort of app that I can put on this thing to have it do mapping. I’m not stupid enough to believe it would do EVERYTHING that the RTK version would do. Just looking for a basic mapping app so I can do volumes etc. Any help is appreciated.
2020-3-21
Use props
djiuser_Rur0DUOrTfxT
lvl.1
Canada

I’m not trying to pick a fight or start an argument with anyone. I did all the research I could, nowhere did it indicate that some sort of flight mapping didn’t com with the smart controller. All I am trying to do is simply find some sort of app that I can put on this thing to have it do mapping. I’m not stupid enough to believe it would do EVERYTHING that the RTK version would do. Just looking for a basic mapping app so I can do volumes etc. Any help is appreciated.
2020-3-21
Use props
Barneyw
lvl.1
Australia

DJI Mindy Posted at 3-20 00:39
Hi Barneyw, the previous Phantom Series drones including P4P+ were built around professional photographers and hobbyists, the Phantom 4 RTK was designed for industrial users for high-precision mapping and other data acquisition missions. The hardware is different and neither the market. We appreciate your understanding.

Mindy and DJI I do not understand the reasons and the logic in what I can only describe as an error in judgement. Your straw man argument that the P4P+ is a photographic drone misses the point and begs the question aren't all (DJI) drones by their very nature photographic. The RTK may be a specific "horses for courses aircraft" but it flies the same way and I wouldn't mind betting that there are no real hardware differences in the controller except in its programming.

Many of your customers have been quite critical of DJI's decision to exclude a basic function of mission planning which should be common to both the RTK and the P4P+. It seems strange that there are many smart people out there who are able hack the controller and download third party mission software the question here is why DJI is incapable of or refusing to have there own propriety software, Ground Station Pro, as part of the P4P+ suite of capabilities even if it  is a paid for option.

I would think that very soon a company will emerge with drones that will be of similar if not better capability and quality  than DJI drones and because of the way that DJI behaves sometimes, DJI will lose market share rapidly.

The question here now is DJI do you have your ears on.      
2020-3-21
Use props
Barneyw
lvl.1
Australia

Barneyw Posted at 3-21 16:22
Mindy and DJI I do not understand the reasons and the logic in what I can only describe as an error in judgement. Your straw man argument that the P4P+ is a photographic drone misses the point and begs the question aren't all (DJI) drones by their very nature photographic. The RTK may be a specific "horses for courses aircraft" but it flies the same way and I wouldn't mind betting that there are no real hardware differences in the controller except in its programming.

Many of your customers have been quite critical of DJI's decision to exclude a basic function of mission planning which should be common to both the RTK and the P4P+. It seems strange that there are many smart people out there who are able hack the controller and download third party mission software the question here is why DJI is incapable of or refusing to have there own propriety software, Ground Station Pro, as part of the P4P+ suite of capabilities even if it  is a paid for option.

reposted and edited

Mindy and DJI I do not understand the reasons and the logic in what I can only describe as an error in judgement. Your straw man argument that the P4P+ is a photographic drone misses the point and begs the question aren't all (DJI) drones by their very nature photographic drones. The RTK may be a specific "horses for courses" aircraft, but it flies the same way and I wouldn't mind betting that there are no real hardware differences in the controller except in its programming.

Many of your customers have been quite critical of DJI's decision to exclude a basic function of mission planning which should be common to both the RTK and the P4P+. It seems strange that there are many smart people out there who are able hack the controller and download third party mission software the question here is why DJI is incapable of or refusing to have their own propriety software, Ground Station Pro, as part of the P4P+ suite of capabilities even if it  is a paid for option.

I would think that very soon a company will emerge with drones that will be of similar if not better capability and quality  than DJI drones and because of the way that DJI behaves sometimes, DJI will lose market share rapidly.

The question here now is DJI do you have your ears on.
2020-3-21
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

Barneyw Posted at 3-21 16:29
reposted and edited

Mindy and DJI I do not understand the reasons and the logic in what I can only describe as an error in judgement. Your straw man argument that the P4P+ is a photographic drone misses the point and begs the question aren't all (DJI) drones by their very nature photographic drones. The RTK may be a specific "horses for courses" aircraft, but it flies the same way and I wouldn't mind betting that there are no real hardware differences in the controller except in its programming.

"I would think that very soon a company will emerge with drones that will be of similar if not better capability and quality  than DJI drones and because of the way that DJI behaves sometimes, DJI will lose market share rapidly."

Yawn, people like yourself have been making that prediction for as long as DJI have been around, Yet no-one has come even close to being a competitor to DJI.

If you think making a vague threat like that will make DJI sit up and listen, you are sadly mistaken. There are already other manufacturers using the DJI provided SDK to create programs that perform mapping functions on the P4 line of drones. Look around more thoroughly. But being locked into the P4+ contoller limits your choices. You would be better using a non plus type controller.
2020-3-21
Use props
Barneyw
lvl.1
Australia

Geebax you are reading it to this and missing the point. The poster was saying from a flying and controlling perspective the P4P+ should be capable of doing everything the RTK does with exception of course of the amount of mapping accuracy plus the ability to link to a base station further removing positioning offsets. In actual fact and doing a little reading into his post he is actually saying the P4P+ should share the same functionality as the non P4P+ model but because it is a P4P+ it should be enhanced in some way and I think this is quite reasonable to make that nexus.  

The P4 RTK, P4P(+) V2 and indeed the P4 Multispectral are all essentially the same platforms and have the same flight systems and characteristics. I agree with the poster and alluded to it myself that there was no "Please note" that the P4P+ is incapable of downloading third party software or even DJI's propriety software, GSP, effectively making the P4P+ less capable than drones that rely on third party displays such as smartphones and tablets.

This has been a sore point for many P4P+ owners for a few years and while I did my research I would not have imagined that something that had a + sign attached to it should have actually been designated the P4P- (minus)

So I think your post needs recalibrating.

Cheers
BW

2020-3-21
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

Barneyw Posted at 3-21 17:41
Geebax you are reading it to this and missing the point. The poster was saying from a flying and controlling perspective the P4P+ should be capable of doing everything the RTK does with exception of course of the amount of mapping accuracy plus the ability to link to a base station further removing positioning offsets. In actual fact and doing a little reading into his post he is actually saying the P4P+ should share the same functionality as the non P4P+ model but because it is a P4P+ it should be enhanced in some way and I think this is quite reasonable to make that nexus.  

The P4 RTK, P4P(+) V2 and indeed the P4 Multispectral are all essentially the same platforms and have the same flight systems and characteristics. I agree with the poster and alluded to it myself that there was no "Please note" that the P4P+ is incapable of downloading third party software or even DJI's propriety software, GSP, effectively making the P4P+ less capable than drones that rely on third party displays such as smartphones and tablets.

It does not matter what the P4P+ 'should' do, it is what it is actually capable of, and if you had done your research well enough, you would have known it has its limitations. It is not a secret, and has been known by the P4 comminutiy for several years now.

Further, there is no point whatsoever adressing your comments to DJI through a moderator, as historically speaking, they take absolutely no notice at all, another point well understood by the com,munity here. All you receive are polite answer and platitudes, but nothing much will ever come from it.

The P4P+ only differs from a P4P in having a dedicated controller with a brighter screen, but on the downside, it has potentially less functionality by having a proprietary OS in the screen. People who have bought it found themselves regretting the purchase shortly afterwards, and some purchased a normal controller to get around the limitation on what apps can be used with it.

BTW, adding a plus sign after the P4P is usually taken to represent the version with the dedicated controller only. So therefore there is no such thing as a Standard P4P+.

2020-3-21
Use props
Barneyw
lvl.1
Australia

Geebax Posted at 3-21 17:16
"I would think that very soon a company will emerge with drones that will be of similar if not better capability and quality  than DJI drones and because of the way that DJI behaves sometimes, DJI will lose market share rapidly."

Yawn, people like yourself have been making that prediction for as long as DJI have been around, Yet no-one has come even close to being a competitor to DJI.

Geebax don't be so churlish. You obviously jumped to conclusions and rather arguing the point or contributing to the conversation you went on the attack. If this is the standard of how you read and analyse things well what is the point of your post because it adds nothing.

There is no doubt that the DJI platforms are very capable and of a high standard but there are many examples of poor support or not listening. Furthermore, if you cannot have a frank and free discussion without chucking a forum hissy fit then the facts will always become murky and nothing will get resolved.

Having excellent products but providing poor support and not listening to customers should not be conflated to justify a response to customer concerns. Whether DJI listen or not is another proposition altogether but one thing for sure if we all keep our mouths shut and not express our concerns then how will anything ever get changed.

Cheers
BW  
2020-3-21
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

Barneyw Posted at 3-21 18:33
Geebax don't be so churlish. You obviously jumped to conclusions and rather arguing the point or contributing to the conversation you went on the attack. If this is the standard of how you read and analyse things well what is the point of your post because it adds nothing.

There is no doubt that the DJI platforms are very capable and of a high standard but there are many examples of poor support or not listening. Furthermore, if you cannot have a frank and free discussion without chucking a forum hissy fit then the facts will always become murky and nothing will get resolved.

Yeah, I am not chucking a 'hissy fit'. If you bought the thing without conducting thorough reasearch, then more fool you. But you appeared to think that your post admonishing DJI for not producing the best package for you would fall upon sympathetic ears, my purpose was to let you know that it would not work.

"The P4 RTK, P4P(+) V2 and indeed the P4 Multispectral are all essentially the same platforms and have the same flight systems and characteristics. I agree with the poster and alluded to it myself that there was no "Please note" that the P4P+ is incapable of downloading third party software or even DJI's propriety software, GSP, effectively making the P4P+ less capable than drones that rely on third party displays such as smartphones and tablets."

All that could have been revealed if you had come onto the forum and asked the appropriate questions.  

2020-3-21
Use props
Barneyw
lvl.1
Australia

Geebax Posted at 3-21 18:32
It does not matter what the P4P+ 'should' do, it is what it is actually capable of, and if you had done your research well enough, you would have known it has its limitations. It is not a secret, and has been known by the P4 comminutiy for several years now.

Further, there is no point whatsoever adressing your comments to DJI through a moderator, as historically speaking, they take absolutely no notice at all, another point well understood by the com,munity here. All you receive are polite answer and platitudes, but nothing much will ever come from it.

I appreciate the reply but it still begs the question why would you sell two identical drones and reduce the functionality of the drone you call the plus.

All very well to chastise people for not carrying out certain things but if you don't know the right questions  or moreover, would never of guessed by buying the more expensive drone  you would lose capability. It is not as if I bought the Hubsan or Xiaomi drone and started complaining that it does not do the the P4P does. The level of research you are suggesting is almost forensic in nature.

Cheers
BW  
2020-3-21
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

Barneyw Posted at 3-21 18:47
I appreciate the reply but it still begs the question why would you sell two identical drones and reduce the functionality of the drone you call the plus.

All very well to chastise people for not carrying out certain things but if you don't know the right questions  or moreover, would never of guessed by buying the more expensive drone  you would lose capability. It is not as if I bought the Hubsan or Xiaomi drone and started complaining that it does not do the the P4P does. The level of research you are suggesting is almost forensic in nature.

Well, firstly stop referring to them as 'identical drones'. The P4P and the P4PV2 are not identical to the P4RTK, they are quite different devices.

If you have the P4P+ or a P4PV2+, then you can quite easily get around the problem by buying a normal P4P controller, then using either an Android or iOS device as the display, download a swag of third party apps that can do mapping or more sophisticated programmed flight patterns. I can't advise on which apps are best, as I don't use them, but if you ask here, you will likely get plenty of advice from other members.
2020-3-21
Use props
Barneyw
lvl.1
Australia

Geebax Posted at 3-21 18:53
Well, firstly stop referring to them as 'identical drones'. The P4P and the P4PV2 are not identical to the P4RTK, they are quite different devices.

If you have the P4P+ or a P4PV2+, then you can quite easily get around the problem by buying a normal P4P controller, then using either an Android or iOS device as the display, download a swag of third party apps that can do mapping or more sophisticated programmed flight patterns. I can't advise on which apps are best, as I don't use them, but if you ask here, you will likely get plenty of advice from other members.

Thanks Geebax

Just a question then does the P4P, P4P V2 (both version), P4 RTK and P4 Multispectral have different flying characteristics, are controlled differently or, have different controllers - displays and transmissions systems notwithstanding.

In other words if I flew the first version of the P4P could I immediately fly eg the P4 RTK without any additional training not accounting for mission specifics. Will all these drones fly with the DJI Go 4 app.

Cheers
BW  
2020-3-21
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

Barneyw Posted at 3-21 21:12
Thanks Geebax

Just a question then does the P4P, P4P V2 (both version), P4 RTK and P4 Multispectral have different flying characteristics, are controlled differently or, have different controllers - displays and transmissions systems notwithstanding.

Can't say, I don't have any of them. But I imagine they all fly pretty much the same. I have heard that the P4RTK does lack a number of features that the P4 series have though. Someone else may chip in with a more experienced viewpoint.
2020-3-21
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules