Help make this Drone Flying Location App a helpful tool!
1042 6 2015-6-13
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
tpallai
lvl.4

United States

This app called DroneZones was recently released on the App Store and Play Store. The app allows users to submit location sutible for flying drones, as well as rate them according to their scenery, ease of access training level/skill needed, etc. This has such HUGE potential, but it needs to be flourishing with users in order to make a success.  Help to input locations and make it a success!!!

Drone Zones : Safe places to fly your drone by University of Newcastle upon Tyne
https://appsto.re/us/wNDi7.i

2015-6-13
Use props
Ph02on
lvl.3
Flight distance : 75673 ft
United Kingdom

Nice app. I hope more people will help to populate the maps
2015-6-13
Use props
GB44
lvl.4
Flight distance : 343848 ft
United Kingdom

Some inherent problems with site I think.

1.  If someone populates a location does the developers check the location prior to displaying it as being safe to fly legally at that location.  If not they are contributing to potentially sending people to an illegal flight spot.  I hope the developers or the University have good Indemnity Insurance.

2.  With restricted airspace and specific CAA restrictions on where to fly safely, searching for more acceptable places to fly becomes harder and harder in England.  In the UK it is somewhat different to for example the USA and Australia as there are limited large open spaces for suitable legal flights.  In Scotland there are different laws and generally you have the legal right to roam over all land and countryside.  This is not the case in England and Wales and permission to enter the land must be obtained unless its a National Park, Bridle Way, Public Right of Way etc. .  Why then with such limited areas are Pilots going to share valuable flight sites that will undoubtedly result in lots of people turning up with a UAV looking to fly.

2015-6-14
Use props
theparrotsketch
lvl.2

United Kingdom

Done and done, thanks- hope it proves to be the place to check. I'll start uploading possibles when I can
As to possible dodgy sites, I think we all have the opportunity to fly anything anywhere. It's the personal element of common sense that defines whether or not we choose to. Plus the fact that the same location can offer different liabilities at different times.
2015-6-14
Use props
GB44
lvl.4
United Kingdom

theparrotsketch Posted at 2015-6-14 19:37
Done and done, thanks- hope it proves to be the place to check. I'll start uploading possibles when  ...

I think you will find that you don't have the right to fly anything anywhere.
2015-6-14
Use props
theparrotsketch
lvl.2

United Kingdom

GB44 Posted at 2015-6-14 20:12
I think you will find that you don't have the right to fly anything anywhere.

Opportunity does not imply right. I could unpack my inspire in the middle of London, doesn't mean I would, or should. I own a map. It's down to me to choose the right place to fly, having someone who has already flown a site and uploaded it, doesn't force me to use the same location.
How did you infer 'right'?
2015-6-14
Use props
GB44
lvl.4
United Kingdom

theparrotsketch Posted at 2015-6-15 15:05
Opportunity does not imply right. I could unpack my inspire in the middle of London, doesn't mean  ...

I took your words .." we all have the opportunity to fly anything anywhere".

Which I read as the right to fly anything anywhere.  Its a little misleading to then say we can have it in a bag and just choose not to fly it.  You can either fly it somewhere or you can't, nothing to do with opportunity.

In regard to being provided with a map of where someone else may have flown, yes I agree it doesn't force you to fly there, but the App developer or supplier of that information surely has a contributory responsibility to ensure the site is safe to fly from otherwise they may be contributing to promoting a potentially illegal flight site.  

Just my opinion.

Are you the developer of this App ?
2015-6-15
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules