DJI RoboMaster in Troubled Waters???
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
rhoude57 - YUL
lvl.4
Canada

From what I have been reading and hearing lately, DJI doens not seem to be doing too well with its RoboMaster product line.

First, and obviously, the RoboMaster S1, RoboMaster EP, RoboMaster EP/Standard or whatever:
1) DJI did a very limited release of the EP restrictied to China, with a possible second phase in Russia. There are not dates tied to any further releases;
2) DJI releases the text-based SDK, dut this SDK will not run on a RoboMaster S! unless it is rooted. For some reason, DJI decided NOT TO released the rooting procedure, nor a RoboMaster S1 firmware update required to activated some of the new features;
3) Official word on the street is that the RoboMaster EP and S! WILL NOT be compatible, as it seems the EP will use a new Intelligent Controller, and perhaps a new Interface Module.
4) the RoboMaster EP/Gripper will not be available as an upgrade kit for the RoboMaster S!. WTF???

That reflects one heck of a poor product design/architecture and product release flow!!!

Then on to university-level RoboMaster competitions:
1) DJI has yet to fulfill most of the Overseas parts orders and teams have no idea if the "Gift" pricing will be extended to late deliveries... As a result, teams are not sure when they will have their robots ready for the Qualification rounds and the World Finals. Luckily, team solidarity has helped alleviate some issues by loaning or selling previous robot parts and subsystems;
2) teams that have attempted to get a response from DJI say that all they hear are crickets at the other end of the line;
4) RoboMaster has announced delays in a very erratic way. They first seem to go around as rumours, then to be followed at some time with an official announcement by e-mail. Changes to milestone requirements, for example the posting of a technical milestone video.

This indicates to me a lot of instability in RoboMaster operations and technical support. I hope I am wrong and that everything will fall back into place soon.

2020-3-20
Use props
JB63
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

There is a lot of frustration with everything RoboMaster lately ... one can sense it on this board, and other people (potential adopters) I spoke to. I hope/wish DJI takes this feedback into consideration and does something with it ... The RM S1 was a lot of fun initially, but one gets quickly tired of shooting targets. I'd asked many questions of the forum moderators, they always reply we'l get back to you, and never do. ... not too encouraging of a company we've come to like, and whose many products we've purchased. Their products are nicely built (good quality), incorporate a lot of technology, and have a lot of potential. So, DJI, what are you waiting for?
2020-3-20
Use props
gpvillamil
lvl.4
Flight distance : 210226 ft
United States

I get the sense that this is a China-first product.

Friends in China - also Japan and Singapore - report that they get much more info.

The WeChat Robomaster group is doing far more advanced things.

They seem to be in the process of launching the Robomaster Junior League, which marks a substantial commitment to the Robomaster S1 & EP product llne.

So there does seem to be a strategy, it is just that outside of China it is not priority.
2020-3-23
Use props
Napalm78
lvl.2
France

gpvillamil Posted at 3-23 13:02
I get the sense that this is a China-first product.

Friends in China - also Japan and Singapore - report that they get much more info.

Hey Everyone,

Do you have any clue on how to access this WeChat group or anything ? So maybe we can do something, communicate, get info, mods, 3D files, program ... ?

At the moment, a lot of people I know  consider the RMS1 as a toy or, for the most enthusiasts ones, something that could have been "insert your wishes"  but is still closed and hard to modify ...

So maybe by advertising different contents, like RMS1 modifications, addition, and maybe a full 3D printed custom EP arm, it could help to promote the robot :/
2020-3-24
Use props
albertr
lvl.3
United States

I don't see any reasons to complain.... What are your expectations?  AFAIK, DJI never made any promises to open up S1's software or make it compatible with its big brother. To me it looks like DJI is trying to make a quick buck by capitalizing on "robomaster" brand name which is quite popular in China and also to promote robotics to the small kids.

-albertr
2020-4-13
Use props
JB63
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

It's not complaining.... It's the frustration that comes with having spent $$$ on a 'toy' and see it sit and collect dust while knowing for sure that it is CAPABLE of much more. If only DJI can 'open-up' such toy, I'm sure it'll be a win-win ... our experience (in the western-hemisphere) for sure would be 'usable' to DJI
2020-4-14
Use props
usg1024
New
Flight distance : 45600 ft
Hong Kong

It seem that we can't get the SDK from robomaster s1 in a long time. I just send a Email to ask the support from DJI ,here is the the Email info:

Dear developer,

Hello, thank you for contacting DJI.

No relevant information has been received so far that S1 will open the SDK interface, and future updates should focus on EP.

Hope our solution can help you, thank you for your email, and wish you a happy life!
Best Regards,[img]https://forum11.djicdn.com/data/attachment/forum/!%5B%5D()[/img]
DJI Innovation SDK Technical Support
2020-8-20
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules