MM just seemed to drop out of the sky?
990 20 2020-3-21
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Bezik
lvl.4
Flight distance : 420646 ft
United Kingdom

On my flight yesterday the MM seemed to just drop to the ground uncontrolled, I was flying the drone quite low and wondered if this was what caused it, Im a NOOB to drone flying so was almost certainly something I did wrong but cant work out what happened, just wondering if someone more experienced could give the LOG a check over see what i did wrong so i dont do it again.

https://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/KDTCH61YFON2FVMP1LAG

2020-3-21
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 12225059 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Hi Bezik,

In general a MM cannot keep its height very good when flying in Sport mode with lots of full stick inputs, from up>down>up, fwd>afw>fwd ect or 100% to 0% and than 0 to 100% on other stick.

See the chart ; upper part blue line coloured red where MM  is dropping or gaining height with no input on the sticks in that direction.

At the end of the flight  after yawing right and lowering height on the stick, MM dropped too far and could not correct this on time.

Batt levels OKE.  

So IMO nothing wrong with your MM. (if you (or MM owners) accept that MM issue = not keeping height like other DJI drones)

cheers
JJB
analysis1a.png
2020-3-21
Use props
Bezik
lvl.4
United Kingdom

JJB* Posted at 3-21 08:11
Hi Bezik,

In general a MM cannot keep its height very good when flying in Sport mode with lots of full stick inputs, from up>down>up, fwd>afw>fwd ect or 100% to 0% and than 0 to 100% on other stick.

thanks for checking over the log and im pleased it wasnt anything i did wrong as such...yeah i was pushing it hard just out of curiosity to see what it was capable of when in sport mode...ill take it a little easier in the future.
2020-3-21
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Netherlands

Bezik Posted at 3-21 08:16
thanks for checking over the log and im pleased it wasnt anything i did wrong as such...yeah i was pushing it hard just out of curiosity to see what it was capable of when in sport mode...ill take it a little easier in the future.

hiya,

Some MM do have a uncontrolled descent for seconds.......that is a serious problem!

Sometimes changing 4x blades does help, afaik and read comments/solutions on this forum.
For this reason i have my MM always unfolded, only for transport in a bag its folded.

At the end of all blades are the most important hardware on a drone....   ;-)

cheers
JJB

2020-3-21
Use props
Bezik
lvl.4
United Kingdom

JJB* Posted at 3-21 08:22
hiya,

Some MM do have a uncontrolled descent for seconds.......that is a serious problem!

thanks for letting me know about that, id read deformation of the blades while packaged could be an issue, im gonna do the same and leave unfolded when not in use
2020-3-21
Use props
Bezik
lvl.4
United Kingdom

JJB* Posted at 3-21 08:22
hiya,

could you point me in the right direction to the app or site you use to view the files that produce that screenshot you posted?
2020-3-21
Use props
m80116
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3264131 ft
Italy

That's kind of a design limitation of the Mavic Mini, coming to a stop from an hasty ride, in this case exacerbated by a full L stick down for a little more than a couple of second. It's tied to atmospheric pressure decrease inside the drone body when coming to a stop: sensing instantly less pressure means the drone is climbing, from here the global reduction of engine speed. Should you counter this tendency of dropping the response is biased and not very quick. Note to keep in mind for every MM owner.
2020-3-21
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Netherlands

Bezik Posted at 3-21 09:26
could you point me in the right direction to the app or site you use to view the files that produce that screenshot you posted?

https://forum.dji.com/thread-203659-1-1.html

cheers
JJB
2020-3-21
Use props
Bezik
lvl.4
United Kingdom

JJB* Posted at 3-21 11:31
https://forum.dji.com/thread-203659-1-1.html

cheers

WOW! i didnt realise it was your own creation AMAZING!!! thankyou so much
2020-3-21
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Netherlands

Bezik Posted at 3-21 11:35
WOW! i didnt realise it was your own creation AMAZING!!! thankyou so much

Hi Bezik,

I always fly with a screen recorder active, with that recording and the data charts in FRAP ; best way of learning to analyse your flight, see what really happend.

Do enjoy!

Many happy flights,
cheers
JJB

2020-3-21
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Looking at your flight, it certainly doesn’t look like pilot did anything wrong, you should be able to fly craft as you did without it just dropping out of the sky, this is a clear case of craft malfunction.
2020-3-21
Use props
Bezik
lvl.4
United Kingdom

hallmark007 Posted at 3-21 14:14
Looking at your flight, it certainly doesn’t look like pilot did anything wrong, you should be able to fly craft as you did without it just dropping out of the sky, this is a clear case of craft malfunction.

Yeah when it happened it didnt feel like i did anything to cause it, luckily I have until the 16th of April to return to the store i purchased it from for a full refund, if this happens again i will be using that option.
2020-3-21
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

On my flight yesterday the MM seemed to just drop to the ground uncontrolled, I was flying the drone quite low and wondered if this was what caused it,
You were in Sport Mode, gave it hard left stick down and it took a couple of seconds to stabilise as it had done all flight.
But it was close to the ground so you noticed it this time.
Flying hard in Sport Mode close to the ground or other obstacles is risky.

What you didn't notice was more serious.
At 6:02.5 your Mini started climbing without any corresponding joystick input and gained 21 feet before stabilising.
At 6:22.1 it started climbing again without joystick input.
It rose 13 feet and then started sinking at 6:28.7, again without any joystick input to cause it.
It lost 26 feet by 6:40 when you gave it some throttle.
At 7:48.8 it started losing altitude control again and climbed 14 feet on its own.
At 8:04.6 it did it again and climbed 32 feet before you stopped it.
Again at 8:29.1 until you stopped it at 8:38.7.
And at 8:45.4 till you stopped it again with some down stick at 9:14.9.

This is different from (but similar to) the usual problem of Minis failing to stay up.
It's nearly as dangerous.
Your drone is faulty (like manu Minis) and cannot be trusted.
DJI have really dropped the ball with the Mini.
And made a big mistake by failing to identify the problem and do something about it.
2020-3-22
Use props
Bezik
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Labroides Posted at 3-22 04:24
On my flight yesterday the MM seemed to just drop to the ground uncontrolled, I was flying the drone quite low and wondered if this was what caused it,
You were in Sport Mode, gave it hard left stick down and it took a couple of seconds to stabilise as it had done all flight.
But it was close to the ground so you noticed it this time.

thanks for looking over my flight data, as i said am a total noob to flying drones so all this help from you guys on here is massively appreciated...looks like ill be using that return policy at the store i purchased from..  
2020-3-22
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Bezik Posted at 3-22 04:32
thanks for looking over my flight data, as i said am a total noob to flying drones so all this help from you guys on here is massively appreciated...looks like ill be using that return policy at the store i purchased from..

I have one and have not had any problems so far, so they’re some good ones out there, so maybe insist on replacing yours and give it a second shot, I don’t think unless we see FW update soon your drone will improve .
2020-3-22
Use props
Bezik
lvl.4
United Kingdom

hallmark007 Posted at 3-22 04:43
I have one and have not had any problems so far, so they’re some good ones out there, so maybe insist on replacing yours and give it a second shot, I don’t think unless we see FW update soon your drone will improve .

my friend also bought one and his is also doing uncontrolled decents...i think ill sit on the sidelines for a while, dji have really shot themselves in the foot with this release it seems, my friend is also returning his, thats 2 brand new customers who now have little to no confidence in the company, not good
2020-3-22
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Bezik Posted at 3-22 04:50
my friend also bought one and his is also doing uncontrolled decents...i think ill sit on the sidelines for a while, dji have really shot themselves in the foot with this release it seems, my friend is also returning his, thats 2 brand new customers who now have little to no confidence in the company, not good

thats 2 brand new customers who now have little to no confidence in the company, not good.
Just avoid the Mini as it's the product that has the problem maintaining altitude.
No other DJI drone has had issues like the Mini does.
2020-3-22
Use props
Bezik
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Labroides Posted at 3-22 05:21
thats 2 brand new customers who now have little to no confidence in the company, not good.
Just avoid the Mini as it's the product that has the problem maintaining altitude.
No other DJI drone has had issues like the Mini does.

I heard a new Air is coming out next month, might see how that fares when it arrives
2020-3-22
Use props
m80116
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3264131 ft
Italy

I can prove YOU ALL wrong because it is a design limitation. I already explained how that problem can be reproduced with every Mavic Mini unless wind conditions can vary the result. It is normal for a Mavic Mini to have a drop in altitude after coming to a stop from a prolonged fast ride.

I am not justifying anything here... a possibility to fix this design limitation would probably involve a drone body design update. But if you expect to change one Mini for another you'll surely find yourself with the same problem.

Beware of people in this forum advocating problems out of spite and revenge against others opinions and tests. They are the same perpetual downvoters that wouldn't  mind causing even more troubles to users already dismayed by such an unusual behaviour: you're the WORST. At some point I could even go ahead and test with a simple tweak whether an open battery hatch could suffice to counter the increased pressure inside the drone cabinet.

2020-3-22
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

“ I can prove YOU ALL wrong because it is a design limitation”

I’ve noted over the last few weeks that almost everything you have been saying has been proven to be wrong or there was a failure on your part to show any proof.
I must also ask how is it that by far the vast majority are having no problems, maybe you can explain with something to back up , It would be nice to see some proof of defect you talk about otherwise this is just more stuff you’re making up .
2020-3-22
Use props
Savage3006
lvl.4
Flight distance : 156709 ft
United States

I had mine since November 2019 and only had one problem my fault bad SD card other than that not one problem to drop's, no fly away's,, (I check wind conditions before flight) so yes return Mini and get a new one fly safe.
2020-3-22
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules