Mini Survived 40ft Drop!
946 11 2020-3-21
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
DroneWiz
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1016857 ft

United States

Well I had my first crash yesterday and I think I got extremely lucky. I was trying out the QuickShot features and stupidly did one too close to some trees. 40ft up it hit a tree and came tumbling down onto a dirt road (landed on its feet). Amazingly the only damage was a broken propeller and a couple cracks on the bottom casing. I replaced the prop (both of the ones on that leg as DJI recommends) and did a test flight. No problems at all as far as I could tell. Flew just over 1,000ft at 150ft elevation, recorded some video, rotated in all directions, moved the gimble up and down, and then did a RTH. I'm absolutely stunned that this thing still works. I'll probaly replace the bottom part of the shell at some point but the cracks don't seem to be affecting flight.

Damage.jpg
2020-3-21
Use props
Akirasho
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1622238 ft
United States

... thankfully...

2020-3-21
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

Glad to hear your MM only suffered minimal damage.  Good reminder to check our surroundings before conducting a QuickShot.  Thanks for sharing.
2020-3-21
Use props
DroneWiz
lvl.2

United States

DowntownRDB Posted at 3-21 07:18
Glad to hear your MM only suffered minimal damage.  Good reminder to check our surroundings before conducting a QuickShot.  Thanks for sharing.

For sure! I've learned my lesson! Haha!
2020-3-21
Use props
m80116
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3264131 ft
Italy

Pretty tough for a baby drone huh

They are also very well put together on the inside... board to board connectors are glued on the sides, and there's no reason for that during normal flight.
2020-3-21
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Glad to know the drone survived, self-repairing the drone could affect the warranty, it would be better to send back to our official repair center for the repair service, and our facility will also evaluate whether there are other potential damages.
2020-3-22
Use props
DroneWiz
lvl.2

United States

DJI Mindy Posted at 3-22 01:15
Glad to know the drone survived, self-repairing the drone could affect the warranty, it would be better to send back to our official repair center for the repair service, and our facility will also evaluate whether there are other potential damages.

That wouldn't be covered by the warranty though would it? I don't have DJI Care Refresh.

It looks like the bottom part of the shell is extremely easy to replace with only two screws holding it in place. I'm guessing that wouldn't void the warranty but maybe I'm wrong.
2020-3-22
Use props
Cetacean
First Officer
Flight distance : 2528264 ft
  • >>>
United States

Aloha Wiz,

What ever you decide, you might want to put a bead of "SuperGlue" along the crack just to replace some of the lost support of that part of the aircraft body.  SuperGlue Gel works well for that kind of repair but has to sit for a day in dry weather.  Regular SuperGlue will work much faster.

Hope this helps!

Aloha and Drone on!
2020-3-23
Use props
Cal Evans
lvl.4
Flight distance : 85673 ft
United States

WOW!

1) Lucky! It's time for YOU to buy a lottery ticket.

2) Well done DJI for building the mini that tough.

Cheers!
=C=
2020-3-23
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

DroneWiz Posted at 3-22 06:43
That wouldn't be covered by the warranty though would it? I don't have DJI Care Refresh.

It looks like the bottom part of the shell is extremely easy to replace with only two screws holding it in place. I'm guessing that wouldn't void the warranty but maybe I'm wrong.

Since you mentioned you flew too close to some trees, I don't think the warranty service will be provided. But if you believe the accident is not related to pilot operation, the data analysis can be applied.
On our side, we do not recommend customers to repair the drone themselves in case more issues happen.

2020-3-23
Use props
DroneWiz
lvl.2

United States

Cetacean Posted at 3-23 03:04
     What ever you decide, you might want to put a bead of "SuperGlue" along the crack just to replace some of the lost support of that part of the aircraft body.

Thanks for the tip! I went ahead and did that.

Just to update, I've gotten about 15 miles of flight distance in since the accident and haven't had a single issue. :-)
2020-3-23
Use props
GaryDoug
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1264639 ft
  • >>>
United States

In case you haven't seen this already:
2020-3-23
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now