12Next >
1531 40 2020-3-24
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Manxmann
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1178793 ft
Australia

Let's hope that we all,  and our drones remain virus free.....
Be careful and don't "upload" anything you may later regret.   And certainly do not pass on anything you shouldn't........

2020-3-24
Use props
Cetacean
First Officer
Flight distance : 2528264 ft
  • >>>
United States

Aloha Manx,

Good points all!  Since we are all getting sequestered in one way or another and we will be targets for bored hackers, that is great advice.

An interesting development is that as much as our download speeds may remain the same, we may end up with our Internet being slower overall due to congestion.  Kind of like our freeways being able to handle traffic at 60 miles per hour but due to the sheer number of cars our speed drops to 35 miles per hour.  Same highway, different speeds.  Oh well.  

Stay safe!

Aloha and Drone On!
2020-3-24
Use props
Manxmann
lvl.4
Australia

Cetacean Posted at 3-24 01:07
Aloha Manx,

Good points all!  Since we are all getting sequestered in one way or another and we will be targets for bored hackers, that is great advice.

Slower internet speed is quite noticeable at our place,  but Hey,  we have all day to fill in.
Apart from essential outings,  and I DO mean essential,  we stay at home and try to keep cool.

Was very lucky to just scrape in in time to get a "shoulder job" job done before the cancellation of Elective Surgery.  Friend of ours was not so lucky & his surgery cancelled today - the poor bugger is suffering in a lot of pain.  Makes me feel lucky and perhaps just a little guilty .. .. .. I guess it's just how the cards fall ?

Let us all hope that the virus is soon contained,  but I am not holding my breath.

How are you folks going ?  
Once your border is closed you have a good chance to knock it on the head ?
2020-3-24
Use props
Cetacean
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Manxmann Posted at 3-24 01:20
Slower internet speed is quite noticeable at our place,  but Hey,  we have all day to fill in.
Apart from essential outings,  and I DO mean essential,  we stay at home and try to keep cool.

Aloha Manx,

Sorry to hear about your friend.  Tell him to try highly caffeinated drinks like Coke and coffee.  I drink Diet Mountain Dew myself mixed with Diet 7-Up.  Hardly any pain anymore.  He may even see the pain decline within a day.  I drink at least a liter a day.  Caffeine can really dehydrate you though and you need to figure out how to mix or how much to drink generally on a daily basis.  And supplement it with water for the dehydration.

I had to learn about this the hard way and I was so happy to see the caffeine works so well.  Shoulder pain is no picnic.

Hawai'i implemented an interesting way to stop visitors from coming.  All new arrivals will have to self quarantine for 14 days.  Kind of ruins a vacation until this is over!  We had our first fatality today.  Also, last Friday a Hawai'i guy died in San Diego but he came over here, stayed for a while and then returned to San Diego, all while sick.

Our hospitals in Hawai'i are really getting stressed out, and like you all elective surgery has been postponed.  The nurses have to wash their masks and get them to last a week.  Totally nuts!  No PPE!

Also today, the Governor implemented the sequestering starting at 4:30 PM.  Only essential trips outside the house and exercise and chores.  But essential services are operating like normal, well maybe not so normal with some crazies panic buying.  No meat or TP on the shelves.

Kind of has a benefit.  All those old projects that have not been finished can get finished now.  And remember the baby boom after WWII, well guess what (in 9-10 months)!  New York, and New England in general, had a mini-boom when the power grid failed for a week or so a couple decades ago.

You take care over there and stay safe!

Aloha and Drone On!
2020-3-24
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Good point.
2020-3-24
Use props
Goldenseal
lvl.4
Flight distance : 487034 ft
United States

Cetacean Posted at 3-24 02:01
Aloha Manx,

Sorry to hear about your friend.  Tell him to try highly caffeinated drinks like Coke and coffee.  I drink Diet Mountain Dew myself mixed with Diet 7-Up.  Hardly any pain anymore.  He may even see the pain decline within a day.  I drink at least a liter a day.  Caffeine can really dehydrate you though and you need to figure out how to mix or how much to drink generally on a daily basis.  And supplement it with water for the dehydration.

Yes, I thought the same about 9 months later. lol

Try Kratom for pain, it works great. It's better for your body/ heart, than all that caffeinated carbonated drinks.
2020-3-24
Use props
Cetacean
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Goldenseal Posted at 3-24 18:25
Yes, I thought the same about 9 months later. lol

Try Kratom for pain, it works great. It's better for your body/ heart, than all that caffeinated carbonated drinks.

Aloha GS,

I started with the Mt. Dew because I was getting rid of the beer to loose 50 pounds.  So I replaced the carbonated beer with the Mt. Dew.  Then I encountered my Degenerative Disc Disease in my neck and a disc rupture in my spine.  Eventually, it all went away without surgery or other major effort after I discovered that the ibuprofen I was taking for something else got rid of the pain.  After I stopped taking the ibuprofen only the coffee was managing my pain.  Then I went caffeine free for a while and suffered a lot of pain!  I did not realize that the caffeine was controlling my pain.  I thought I was just getting older and more arthritic.

One day in the drug store waiting for a prescription, I checked to see what was used over the counter for arthritis.  I came across the house brand "Aspirin for Arthritis".  So I looked at the active ingredients and found out it was just aspirin and caffeine!  I went home and started drinking coffee again and I have been pain free ever since.  My neck, shoulder and back have all benefited from the caffeine regimen.

I have no cartilage in my shoulders and no rotor cuff in my right shoulder.  But I have full rotation and more strength than I deserve considering my life (gymnast, surfer, pole vaulter, springboard and tower diver, etc.)  Good mileage out of them!  It is amazing to me that I am as pain free as I am.

Aloha and Drone On!
2020-3-24
Use props
Manxmann
lvl.4
Australia

Cetacean Posted at 3-24 21:52
Aloha GS,

I started with the Mt. Dew because I was getting rid of the beer to loose 50 pounds.  So I replaced the carbonated beer with the Mt. Dew.  Then I encountered my Degenerative Disc Disease in my neck and a disc rupture in my spine.  Eventually, it all went away without surgery or other major effort after I discovered that the ibuprofen I was taking for something else got rid of the pain.  After I stopped taking the ibuprofen only the coffee was managing my pain.  Then I went caffeine free for a while and suffered a lot of pain!  I did not realize that the caffeine was controlling my pain.  I thought I was just getting older and more arthritic.

I had never heard of Caffeine as a pain controller.  I am OK at present on Palexia SR.  
Now that I have had the damage repaired I am looking to be pain free in the future;   Huh,  5 more weeks in a full sling then 6 weeks of physio,  followed by XX weeks to get some muscle tone and strength back.

Like you Cetacean I have perhaps asked a bit of my body in the 72 years I have had it. . . .
At least we are still vertical and able to feel pain eh ?
2020-3-25
Use props
Cetacean
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Manxmann Posted at 3-25 01:44
I had never heard of Caffeine as a pain controller.  I am OK at present on Palexia SR.  
Now that I have had the damage repaired I am looking to be pain free in the future;   Huh,  5 more weeks in a full sling then 6 weeks of physio,  followed by XX weeks to get some muscle tone and strength back.

Aloha Manx,

Yes, we are still vertical and able to feel pain!  When asked how I am doing, I like to say, "Well, I woke up this morning!"

Let you friend know about the caffeine as pain control.  My pain (right shoulder) was a deep throb as well as some movement pains.  All gone except for a bit of the movement pain, but better muscle tone should help that.  Surgery is not even a consideration anymore - and they wanted to replace my shoulder!  It is a real mess, but I can do more with it now than what they say I would be able to do after replacement.

Stay vertical!

Aloha and Drone On!
2020-3-25
Use props
embayweather
lvl.4
Flight distance : 556667 ft
United Kingdom

Manxmann Posted at 3-24 01:20

Manxmann, may I( suggest he tries vaping cannabis oil. I ave bodywide pain and it has made all the difference to me.
2020-3-25
Use props
Manxmann
lvl.4
Australia

Cetacean Posted at 3-25 03:46
Aloha Manx,

Yes, we are still vertical and able to feel pain!  When asked how I am doing, I like to say, "Well, I woke up this morning!"

Lucky man,  yes,  you are wise to stay away from the surgeon if possible !  
2020-3-25
Use props
Manxmann
lvl.4
Australia

embayweather Posted at 3-25 05:18
Manxmann, may I( suggest he tries vaping cannabis oil. I ave bodywide pain and it has made all the difference to me.

Will mention it to him.....  huh,  whilst we are all in isolation - why not try it ?
2020-3-25
Use props
Goldenseal
lvl.4
United States

I can't do the heavy caffeine, bad for my heart. I worked very hard in my life, to feed my family. It took a bigger toll on my body than I thought it would. Knees, back, hips shoulders, arthritis and nearly deaf. I couldn't work after 63. My primary care told me to walk more to lose weight. I can't walk very far. So, that's not going to work. LOL
2020-3-27
Use props
Manxmann
lvl.4
Australia

Goldenseal Posted at 3-27 17:01
I can't do the heavy caffeine, bad for my heart. I worked very hard in my life, to feed my family. It took a bigger toll on my body than I thought it would. Knees, back, hips shoulders, arthritis and nearly deaf. I couldn't work after 63. My primary care told me to walk more to lose weight. I can't walk very far. So, that's not going to work. LOL

Life's a bitch,  but hang in there  
At least we are all still vertical & on the topside of the turf !
2020-3-27
Use props
sky wombat
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1454078 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Damn I don't get the caffeine kick others do (seem to lack the so called sticky receptors), too much alcohol (is that a thing) results in feeling ill and any cannabis oil would probably be used by the kids (mind you they'd probably visit more often so not a good idea either). Seems it's just me and my DJI and batteries always seem to need charging .
2020-3-27
Use props
Manxmann
lvl.4
Australia

sky wombat Posted at 3-27 21:50
Damn I don't get the caffeine kick others do (seem to lack the so called sticky receptors), too much alcohol (is that a thing) results in feeling ill and any cannabis oil would probably be used by the kids (mind you they'd probably visit more often so not a good idea either). Seems it's just me and my DJI and batteries always seem to need charging .

Just so long as you have the right "re-charger" for each,  you're all good.
2020-3-27
Use props
Cetacean
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Goldenseal Posted at 3-27 17:01
I can't do the heavy caffeine, bad for my heart. I worked very hard in my life, to feed my family. It took a bigger toll on my body than I thought it would. Knees, back, hips shoulders, arthritis and nearly deaf. I couldn't work after 63. My primary care told me to walk more to lose weight. I can't walk very far. So, that's not going to work. LOL

Aloha GS,

Is that why people cannot handle caffeine, because of heart issues?  I was wondering why.  Never had any heart issues, maybe cuz I am a cold-hearted son of a wonderful Mom!  Glad to see you are still upright though!

Can you try swimming, kayaking or Stand Up Paddling (SUP)?  Women cannot loose weight swimming but they can redistribute it (nicely in some cases).  Women have a layer of fat under the skin for insulation that prevents them from loosing weight (unless they are competitive swimmers).  Us guys have belly fat that can create liver problems.  We have to get that down to manageable levels.

I competed against one guy (fin swimming) with a big belly and one leg that whooped my okole because he was actually streamlined.  Figure that one out!  He may have had only one arm to but I was really distracted by the one leg thing.   Probably a bad accident, but he was amazing in the water, a regular dolphin man since he had one fin.  

I did not mind loosing that race, but I did feel it was a form of unfair competition.  Still, in a way, he is my hero!

Aloha and Drone On!
2020-3-28
Use props
Antonio76
lvl.4
Flight distance : 144403 ft
Denmark

Cetacean Posted at 3-24 01:07
Aloha Manx,

Good points all!  Since we are all getting sequestered in one way or another and we will be targets for bored hackers, that is great advice.

Aloha Cetacean,
Still alive and sort of kicking here. had leg surgery just before Xmas (popliteal artery shunt due to complete blockage, and as soon as the covid-19 emergency is over I will need the other leg done). . In any case, my vascular parkinsonism limits my movement enough, so not much desire nor need to go out to town... Also in order not to clog the internet bandwidth I read books and also have started playing with Arduinos (I ave an Uno and three Nanos :-D ) Cute smart fellers and it's a pleasure to realize that my old brain is still working. Right now I am charging the P4P batteries and then the remote, so soon I'll give it a try after a long inactivity (but always kept the batteries checked).  Take care all, and be well!
2020-3-29
Use props
Cetacean
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Antonio76 Posted at 3-29 04:32
Aloha Cetacean,
Still alive and sort of kicking here. had leg surgery just before Xmas (popliteal artery shunt due to complete blockage, and as soon as the covid-19 emergency is over I will need the other leg done). . In any case, my vascular parkinsonism limits my movement enough, so not much desire nor need to go out to town... Also in order not to clog the internet bandwidth I read books and also have started playing with Arduinos (I ave an Uno and three Nanos :-D ) Cute smart fellers and it's a pleasure to realize that my old brain is still working. Right now I am charging the P4P batteries and then the remote, so soon I'll give it a try after a long inactivity (but always kept the batteries checked).  Take care all, and be well!

Aloha Antonio,

Sounds like a merging of remedies in your case.  You seem to be getting hit from all directions.  Good to see the Arduinos are keeping you company.  Like you say, a good challenge for old brains.  I have never worked with them but I have followed what they can do and it sounds like you might get to have some real fun.

Stay safe and have some great flights.  Looking forward to the flight results.

Aloha and Drone On!
2020-3-29
Use props
Goldenseal
lvl.4
United States

Cetacean Posted at 3-28 04:07
Aloha GS,

Is that why people cannot handle caffeine, because of heart issues?  I was wondering why.  Never had any heart issues, maybe cuz I am a cold-hearted son of a wonderful Mom!  Glad to see you are still upright though!

Standing kills me. I love snorkeling. The water is cold here right now. I had a nice time in O'aho. I went to Makaho Beach park. I went so far out trying to find a coral tower. I never found it. I almost couldn't see people on the beach. There were a lot of Humuhumunukuapua'a. West Virginia is just too cold for snorkeling. I start getting stiff and get cramps after a while.
2020-3-31
Use props
Cetacean
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Goldenseal Posted at 3-31 10:59
Standing kills me. I love snorkeling. The water is cold here right now. I had a nice time in O'aho. I went to Makaho Beach park. I went so far out trying to find a coral tower. I never found it. I almost couldn't see people on the beach. There were a lot of Humuhumunukuapua'a. West Virginia is just too cold for snorkeling. I start getting stiff and get cramps after a while.

Aloha GS,

Yeah, West Virginia water is about 20 degrees colder than Hawai'ian waters about now (at a minimum).  You might get stiff there but not from cramps!  It is called freezing and also why I live here!  LOL!  Next time you go diving, try using the dolphin kick, good fun and fast.

Nice try on the Humuhumunukunukuapua'a, it is our State Fish.  The humu and the nuku are said twice each before the apua'a finish.  It is good that you saw a lot of them.  They keep our reefs healthy.

In my youth, I used to free dive about five miles further up the Coast from Makaha.  I would stay out for a couple hours.  That is where I learned that free divers could get bent or at least a precursor to the bends called Taravana.  Quite an education and so beautiful.  You may not have found the coral tower but you certainly had a good time!

During the winter Makaha is a real fun surf spot.  On the inside, the backwash can really fling you high into the air.  That backwash is a staple for Hawai'ian surf videos or surf videos with a lot of Hawai'ian surf breaks in them.  Makaha can be a real good wave up to about 25 feet.  After that a rideable wave is much more rare, even for tow-in.  

Stay safe!  Edit away the boredom when you cannot fly.

Aloha and Drone On!
2020-3-31
Use props
Goldenseal
lvl.4
United States

Cetacean Posted at 3-31 21:33
Aloha GS,

Yeah, West Virginia water is about 20 degrees colder than Hawai'ian waters about now (at a minimum).  You might get stiff there but not from cramps!  It is called freezing and also why I live here!  LOL!  Next time you go diving, try using the dolphin kick, good fun and fast.

We were visiting my son at schofield barracks. I went on a culture tour that day.  My family grew up in company towns in WV. So I visited a company town. It made my son real nervous. LOL  We went up the west side till the road ended. We then went to Makaha Beach. It was July and I ask the life guard about the water condition. I had a great time till my wife said it's time to go. I said it's early. She pointed to the topless woman next to us. I told her, I don't care, I'm snorkeling. We left. Later she told me, she wasn't staying there with our son with us. He was living on the island, but she is his mama. LOL
I studied the history of Hawaii and the language for 6 months before we visited my son. I didn't need a road map. I had Oahu memorized.
2020-4-1
Use props
Cetacean
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Goldenseal Posted at 4-1 11:44
We were visiting my son at schofield barracks. I went on a culture tour that day.  My family grew up in company towns in WV. So I visited a company town. It made my son real nervous. LOL  We went up the west side till the road ended. We then went to Makaha Beach. It was July and I ask the life guard about the water condition. I had a great time till my wife said it's time to go. I said it's early. She pointed to the topless woman next to us. I told her, I don't care, I'm snorkeling. We left. Later she told me, she wasn't staying there with our son with us. He was living on the island, but she is his mama. LOL
I studied the history of Hawaii and the language for 6 months before we visited my son. I didn't need a road map. I had Oahu memorized.

Aloha GS,

You practically a Kama'aina!  Good to hear you had a good time.  Even got some entertainment with the girl next to you, LOL!  Glad to see you immersed yourself in Hawai'ian language and culture.  Got some serious politics in Hawai'ian history.

I know it is the wrong coast, but the Northwest of North America has a strong Hawai'ian influence.  There are many Hawai'ian place names and even Hawai'ian colonies.  Many of those Hawai'ians got there the same way Chinese and Japanese junks got there, the Mid-Pacific gyre.  We even got a teak sweep (rudder) that washed ashore at Kahana Bay decades ago.  It was buried in sand and then uncovered by waves a dozen years or so.  The North Pacific coast is loaded with ancient wrecks from China and Japan.  A year after the Fukushima Tsunami on March 11, 2011, in Japan, Japanese fishing boats and debris were washing up all along the North Pacific Coast.  The unique radioactive signature helped scientists track the gyre and the relationship with the North Pacific Coast.  Very interesting.

Good to hear you did not need a road map.  But your son was wise to get nervous along that coast.  Danger can come in many forms and that coast has a wide variety.  Beautiful place up there north of Makaha, just be careful.

Aloha and Drone On!
2020-4-1
Use props
Goldenseal
lvl.4
United States

Cetacean Posted at 4-1 20:58
Aloha GS,

You practically a Kama'aina!  Good to hear you had a good time.  Even got some entertainment with the girl next to you, LOL!  Glad to see you immersed yourself in Hawai'ian language and culture.  Got some serious politics in Hawai'ian history.

Yeah, I know about it. The people have a reason to have a chip on their shoulder. I approached everyone with great respect. I talked to a man taking a break just down from  Nuʻuanu Pali overlook in the pull off in the curve. At one point, he said that he was a activist and I probably wouldn't like his opinion. I laughed and said he probably wouldn't like what I think. I told him I think king kamehameha raped the land of the native trees with no respect for nature and sold the lumber. In his greed he sold all the imported goods through him to the people at a great markup. He put his people in slavery, yet they put up a statue of him. It doesn't make sense to me. He said, very perspective. He told me about the Poi factory. Maxine waited on us. She said you don't know what you want, I do. LOL She put it all together for my wife and I. It was wonderful and cheap. Much better than a tourist luau.      
2020-4-2
Use props
Cetacean
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Goldenseal Posted at 4-2 08:52
Yeah, I know about it. The people have a reason to have a chip on their shoulder. I approached everyone with great respect. I talked to a man taking a break just down from  Nuʻuanu Pali overlook in the pull off in the curve. At one point, he said that he was a activist and I probably wouldn't like his opinion. I laughed and said he probably wouldn't like what I think. I told him I think king kamehameha raped the land of the native trees with no respect for nature and sold the lumber. In his greed he sold all the imported goods through him to the people at a great markup. He put his people in slavery, yet they put up a statue of him. It doesn't make sense to me. He said, very perspective. He told me about the Poi factory. Maxine waited on us. She said you don't know what you want, I do. LOL She put it all together for my wife and I. It was wonderful and cheap. Much better than a tourist luau.

Aloha GS,

You may be putting too much of the onus on Kamehameha.  The Hawai'ian Culture was already a "slave and slave owner culture" (a "feudal" culture) way before Kamehameha was even born.  Life was cheap because they lived on an island.  The strongest (and smartest) had the power of life and death over the majority of the population, the common people.  

Kamehameha implemented the law of the "Splintered Paddle" which cut down on a lot of that.  The last line is poignant.  The concept had been around for generations but Kamehameha implemented it.  There is a statue of him doing that in front of the district court in Kaneohe.  It was an early step towards justice for Hawai'ians.  Look up "Hawai'i, splintered paddle" on Google.

It was not the "trees" that were "raped", it was the Sandalwood Trees.  The rest of the trees were cut down much later to power the budding industrial development and new technology.  The "raped" land was converted to raising cattle, goats and sheep.  The current jungles are mostly introduced trees and what a mess that has created (but fun to fly through!).

Kamehameha was fascinated by Western technology.  He actually mounted a "Pivot Gun" on the bow of a couple of his canoes when he mounted his campaigns to unite the Hawai'ian Islands.  Each island thought they were safe from an invasion by Kamehameha because he did not have enough canoes to transport enough men to launch a viable invasion.  Boy were they wrong.

The technology Kamehameha used to unite the Hawai'ian Islands was classified for at least a century after the Battle of Nuuanu.  To this day it is not well known but millions do it every day around the world.  A clue is; when the defenders of O'ahu saw Kamehameha's men on the beach at Kahala (East side of Diamondhead), the water was dark with the men's transportation.  How did that many men (thousands) get to O'ahu from Molokai?  I mean besides the canoes already mentioned.  (Think about the glider paradigm used in the Normandy invasion.)

This is one of my favorite historical notes.  Anybody reading this question can answer!

Aloha and Drone On!
2020-4-2
Use props
Goldenseal
lvl.4
United States

Cetacean Posted at 4-2 17:10
Aloha GS,

You may be putting too much of the onus on Kamehameha.  The Hawai'ian Culture was already a "slave and slave owner culture" (a "feudal" culture) way before Kamehameha was even born.  Life was cheap because they lived on an island.  The strongest (and smartest) had the power of life and death over the majority of the population, the common people.  

Ah, you gave me a lot to check on. I happen to be a little busy at the moment. You have the inside track on things. It's been a few years on my reading, but I thought he had some help from outsiders , like their cannons. Straighten me out, because I just want to know the truth.

Queen Liliuokalani is the one who got shafted badly. I always felt sorry for her. Is any of her descendants around today? What happened, was her husband always out to sea? My dad's family came from Croatia. Just a side point to her husband homeland.

I'd probably be an activist. Hawaii got a raw deal. The missionaries came with good intentions. Their kids became money grabbers. Greed and politics rule. Now the people can't afford to live on their own land. It's not going to change. That is the way this world is run. That's depressing. I'm going to take a long walk(I wish) in the woods tomorrow. I have lectured on the medical and edible plants of the Appalachian mountains. The forest is where I find peace. I'm very at home in the woods.
2020-4-2
Use props
Cetacean
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Goldenseal Posted at 4-2 17:53
Ah, you gave me a lot to check on. I happen to be a little busy at the moment. You have the inside track on things. It's been a few years on my reading, but I thought he had some help from outsiders , like their cannons. Straighten me out, because I just want to know the truth.

Queen Liliuokalani is the one who got shafted badly. I always felt sorry for her. Is any of her descendants around today? What happened, was her husband always out to sea? My dad's family came from Croatia. Just a side point to her husband homeland.

Aloha GS,

When you read this, you should be back from your walk in the woods.  So quickly, may I repeat a sad irony.  The missionaries came to Hawai'i to do good, and they did very well.

Hiram Bingham, the archaeologist who discovered, or at least made Machu Picchu a landmark, was a descendant of those missionaries.  So it was not all bad.

Yes, in 1893, Liliuokalani did get shafted badly by the haole businessmen's revolution.  Money was everything in Hawai'i to.  We can talk more later.

Aloha and Drone On!
2020-4-3
Use props
Mark Weiss
lvl.4
United States

I noticed that since the shutdown, the temperature dropped by 30 degrees. It's been a wintery mix of snow and rain and temps have not been out of the thirties for the past two weeks. Prior to that, I was out on a bike at 63 degree sunny weather. We've been having strong winds (70MPH gusts) for the past several days, especially over night. One good thing is the air quality has improved to about wher I remember it in 1980 or so.
Personally, I'm missing my physical therapy for my degenerative spinal disease, courtesy of a distracted driver in 2007, so I don't know how much longer before my back goes out on me, leaving me unable to so much as roll over in bed.

Much too cold and windy to fly. An the irony is no planes in the air. The skies are silent. The low flying jet that's been waking me out of my sleep every night at 1:04AM for the past 3 years hasn't been flying for the past two weeks.
2020-4-3
Use props
Manxmann
lvl.4
Australia

There is always a Silver Lining eh ?  No jets....  
You had me worrying about your temps,  then I realised you would still be using Farhenheit  ?
2020-4-3
Use props
Cetacean
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Mark Weiss Posted at 4-3 12:22
I noticed that since the shutdown, the temperature dropped by 30 degrees. It's been a wintery mix of snow and rain and temps have not been out of the thirties for the past two weeks. Prior to that, I was out on a bike at 63 degree sunny weather. We've been having strong winds (70MPH gusts) for the past several days, especially over night. One good thing is the air quality has improved to about wher I remember it in 1980 or so.
Personally, I'm missing my physical therapy for my degenerative spinal disease, courtesy of a distracted driver in 2007, so I don't know how much longer before my back goes out on me, leaving me unable to so much as roll over in bed.

Aloha Mark,

Wow, that is an interesting perspective.  Sorry about your injury.  Good to hear that plane is not disturbing you at 1:04 AM for now.  But in 1980, the atmosphere was much worse.  It was the Chinese Olympics that stopped the pollution enough to clear the skies.  But, who can argue against clear skies!  Whatever the cause, it is a good thing.  Look at the images from India, Russia and China, etc. the skies are clear!  Amazing!

No one should discount rolling over in bed as a problem for us guys.  I have recently learned that if my right leg is not positioned correctly, the next day, or at least after a couple days, my hip is so bad I hurt to walk.  Go figgah!  Them young whippersnappers, need to find more compassion for those who go before them.  They will get it in the end!

Me too.  I keep looking for good weather to fly.  Between wind and rain, I am grounded most times.  But I have learned that I can control the weather.  All I have to do is think that I want to fly one of my babies and it will start raining!

Aloha and Drone On!
2020-4-3
Use props
Cetacean
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Manxmann Posted at 4-3 15:38
There is always a Silver Lining eh ?  No jets....  
You had me worrying about your temps,  then I realised you would still be using Farhenheit  ?

Aloha Manx,

I got my silver lining!  I am still vertical and my joints do not hurt so bad, and I can still dream of flying!

Aloha and Drone On!
2020-4-3
Use props
Manxmann
lvl.4
Australia

Cetacean Posted at 4-3 16:23
Aloha Manx,

I got my silver lining!  I am still vertical and my joints do not hurt so bad, and I can still dream of flying!

We are having a spell of perfect weather for flying.  Nice warm days & chilly nights with little or no wind.
That's the good news.
The bad news is;  we can't leave the house to go flying.  Even if we could I only have one wing at the moment.  Had a shoulder job 2 weeks ago (ASAD & Rotator Cuff tendon)  I don't see me operating the controls single handedly !!  On top of that,  there's not a lot to see in suburbia - so we're on the deck for quite a while I suspect.  

Could always be worse ........  
2020-4-3
Use props
Cetacean
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Manxmann Posted at 4-3 16:31
We are having a spell of perfect weather for flying.  Nice warm days & chilly nights with little or no wind.
That's the good news.
The bad news is;  we can't leave the house to go flying.  Even if we could I only have one wing at the moment.  Had a shoulder job 2 weeks ago (ASAD & Rotator Cuff tendon)  I don't see me operating the controls single handedly !!  On top of that,  there's not a lot to see in suburbia - so we're on the deck for quite a while I suspect.  

Aloha Manx,

Good on the stiff upper lip, as they say.  Do take care though.  We need good spirits like you!

What is with this weather!  We are having similar weather, good for flying.  But, in my case, I have disbelief and other weather related projects to deal with.  Bummer!  All I want to do is check the communications of a few spots!  I will force the envelope though.  Yup!  Tomorrow looks like it will be too good to bypass.  If I do not fly and provide proof, some on this Forum may kick me off!

Aloha and Drone On!
2020-4-3
Use props
Manxmann
lvl.4
Australia

Cetacean Posted at 4-3 17:51
Aloha Manx,

Good on the stiff upper lip, as they say.  Do take care though.  We need good spirits like you!

Good luck & hope it doesn't rain
2020-4-3
Use props
Cetacean
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Manxmann Posted at 4-3 18:06
Good luck & hope it doesn't rain

Aloha Manx,

Well, it did not rain but I did otherwise because it did not rain.  (Well, we do have to set our priorities.)  Now if only I can not be kicked off the Forum, I do promise photos and possibly video (without music) if I am able to fly.  Maybe even some tunnel footage?  (if I survive it.)

Aloha and Drone On!
2020-4-3
Use props
Manxmann
lvl.4
Australia

Cetacean Posted at 4-3 21:57
Aloha Manx,

Well, it did not rain but I did otherwise because it did not rain.  (Well, we do have to set our priorities.)  Now if only I can not be kicked off the Forum, I do promise photos and possibly video (without music) if I am able to fly.  Maybe even some tunnel footage?  (if I survive it.)

OK,  we are standing by ..................  
2020-4-4
Use props
Cetacean
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Manxmann Posted at 4-4 00:37
OK,  we are standing by ..................

Aloha Manx,

Of course you are standing by -- you are not flying my baby!  But still, I have a brave baby!

Aloha and Drone On!
2020-4-4
Use props
Mark Weiss
lvl.4
United States

Cetacean Posted at 4-3 16:20
Aloha Mark,

Wow, that is an interesting perspective.  Sorry about your injury.  Good to hear that plane is not disturbing you at 1:04 AM for now.  But in 1980, the atmosphere was much worse.  It was the Chinese Olympics that stopped the pollution enough to clear the skies.  But, who can argue against clear skies!  Whatever the cause, it is a good thing.  Look at the images from India, Russia and China, etc. the skies are clear!  Amazing!

Yeah, I think the reduction in water vapor in the atmosphere results in more heat loss at night. We've been having upper 20s in the early mornings here. Yesterday, it snowed here. This is mid-April!

Back in 1980, I could open a window and smell fresh air, that sweet ozone kind of smell. For the past 30 or so years, I open a window and I smell dank industrial stink. That's gone now. Back to 1980. But I'm on a mountaintop. I do recall my commutes to work in the 1970s when I started a job in an urban city with high traffic density, that the fumes from the cars were really intense. It depends where you are. Right now, the air here is almost as fresh smelling as Ueno, Japan, or Yachio, Chiba, Japan was in 2017 when I was last there.

When you have a spinal injury that results in a pinched nerve and cramps, it's a devil's mix, because the cramping causes involuntary contractions that cause the nerve to be more injured. When I roll over, I am very conscious of every muscle and learn to control them individually to prevent the 'bad' or injured muscles from contracting, as that would result in unimaginable pain and prolonged intensification of the condition. The only relief I get is using the selectorized weigh machines at YMCA, which has been closed for more than a month now. I'm worried that my back may go out again.

All I can do now is check my P4P batteries and note the number of LEDs showing and go back to what I was doing. Too cold and windy to fly. We had some trees come down last weekend.. It was like Katrina all over again with downed trees and power lines. Terrible time to have this awful weather.
2020-4-17
Use props
Cetacean
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Mark Weiss Posted at 4-17 12:43
Yeah, I think the reduction in water vapor in the atmosphere results in more heat loss at night. We've been having upper 20s in the early mornings here. Yesterday, it snowed here. This is mid-April!

Back in 1980, I could open a window and smell fresh air, that sweet ozone kind of smell. For the past 30 or so years, I open a window and I smell dank industrial stink. That's gone now. Back to 1980. But I'm on a mountaintop. I do recall my commutes to work in the 1970s when I started a job in an urban city with high traffic density, that the fumes from the cars were really intense. It depends where you are. Right now, the air here is almost as fresh smelling as Ueno, Japan, or Yachio, Chiba, Japan was in 2017 when I was last there.

Aloha Mark,

OK, you win!  I give up.  I have it much nicer than you (my problems are minor compared to yours).  But, you may want to try after a long time (5 years in my case) the Ibuprofen option.  It does not work for everyone but fortunately it did work for me.  My problem was from being 50 pounds overweight.  Lost that and now life is much better.

It really is nice the way the atmosphere has cleaned up and how the animals are trying to take over.  The other day I saw half a dozen mature feral pigs and about two dozen babies.  They were running at the bottom of my hill.  Cute, but they eat my avocados during the season and dig up the Heliconia the rest of the time.  Friendly rivalry until we run out of food!

Be safe!

Aloha and Drone On!
2020-4-17
Use props
Samuel100
New

Slovakia

Great Points! Thanks for sharing.
2020-4-22
Use props
12Next >
Advanced