1594 12 2020-3-25
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Mini User
lvl.4
Flight distance : 416854 ft
Germany

Hi,

has anyone tried to use the circular quickshot at night ? i know that the drone uses the imagedata to calculate the rotation, but if the subject is bright enough do you think it will work ? or are the quickshot modes deactivated in bad light conditions ?

And an other question has someone of you mounted a extra LED light to their drone? or does someone know where to buy mounting systems that works ?

2020-3-25
Use props
djiuser_wHr0qVpj43YC
lvl.1
United Kingdom

I’m trying to do some light painting with my DJI mini 2. I just tried to do a quick shot circle and it worked in dusk light just before it went completely dark but once I’d set up the camera to take the photo it was pitch black and the drone wouldn’t work which was really frustrating. I’d love to hear any solutions to get round this
2021-4-17
Use props
K6CCC
Second Officer
Flight distance : 651683 ft
United States

And an other question has someone of you mounted a extra LED light to their drone? or does someone know where to buy mounting systems that works ?

What is the goal?  If you are trying to illuminate subjects on the ground well enough for a circular QuickShot to work, good luck.  You are going to be hard pressed to get enough light to the ground with an LED and power source that the Mini can carry.
2021-4-17
Use props
DJI_Smart
lvl.1
United Kingdom

K6CCC Posted at 4-17 15:44

What is the goal?  If you are trying to illuminate subjects on the ground well enough for a circular QuickShot to work, good luck.  You are going to be hard pressed to get enough light to the ground with an LED and power source that the Mini can carry.
I bought some landing gear online that attaches to the drone and have a light that hooks onto it once the drone has  taken off, and then I simply unhook it before I land it. I think I’m going to need extra lighting on the ground in order to give the drone a focal point in the dark but I need to test this out
7C799B9F-B14C-4738-9C41-D0A0D8A74531.jpeg
5F872A47-F0AB-4129-BF47-ABA55D74433D.jpeg
2021-4-17
Use props
K6CCC
Second Officer
United States

That may be nice for landing, but I doubt it will do much at anything except fairly low elevation.
2021-4-17
Use props
DJI_Smart
lvl.1
United Kingdom

I always used to think that these forums were a way to help each other out, maybe offer solutions that have been tried or tested so that people can advance on the techniques offered. Now I don’t want to get into one of those pointless arguments but if you have nothing better to offer than criticising people’s posts then your addition to these forums is nothing more than pointless. At least offer an option rather than being some boring online critic who has nothing to add
2021-4-19
Use props
m80116
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3264131 ft
Italy

He tried to warn you... such a contraption is unrealistic and dangerous. MM has a weight lifting maximum capability of around 200 grams, this means you can still probably load the AC with 1/4 of that (50 grams) and get away with it... as long as it isn't a dangling thing that will affect the momentum of the aircraft and likely disrupt the flying attitude, creating dangerous situations for the drone and people on the ground.

If one should really really have to use a powerful LED light the best way is probably (there are surely several examples online) to hardwire a single 1 to 3W LED at the bottom of the AC, using the AC's internal power. It is possible and it won't disrupt the flying capabilities of the aircraft.
2021-4-19
Use props
K6CCC
Second Officer
United States

He tried to warn you... such a contraption is unrealistic and dangerous.

At least someone understood the point of my message.
2021-4-19
Use props
DJI_Smart
lvl.1
United Kingdom

m80116 Posted at 4-19 06:15
He tried to warn you... such a contraption is unrealistic and dangerous. MM has a weight lifting maximum capability of around 200 grams, this means you can still probably loead the AC with 1/4 of that (50 grams) and get away with it... as long as it isn't a dangling thing that will affect the momentum of the aircraft and likely disrupt the flying attitude, creating dangerous situations for the drone and people on the ground.

If one should really really have to use a powerful LED the best away is probably (there are surely several examples online) to hardwire  a single 1 to 3W LED at the bottom of the AC, using the AC's internal power. It is possible and it won't disrupt the flying capabilities of the aircraft.

My intention was never to fly that contraption in a public place, I was just tring to experiment with the brightness of light to see if I could light paint with it. That being said, your feedback was superb advice and greatly appreciated!

To be fair I don’t think I’ll be able to achieve what it is that I’m looking to do due to the weight/payload issues with the mini 2 and will probably need to invest in a larger drone
2021-4-19
Use props
m80116
Second Officer
Italy

From my archive of Mini's mods:
20200301_141101.jpg

It isn't my mod but it's interesting... personally I'd probably use a single 3W LED as floodlight or with a lens as a rangefinder light.

Just imagining that I have RGB strips and in-line controllers, all very cheap and light, I think it wouldn't be a problem for me to replicate that setup but with RGB lights. Personally I am not into that kind of thing but I can see where you're trying to go... light painting it's a very interesting tecnique.

2021-4-19
Use props
DJI_Smart
lvl.1
United Kingdom

m80116 Posted at 4-19 20:47
From my archive of Mini's mods:

[Image]

That is so impressive! It’s so neat and tidy and would work a treat - I’d certainly get some interesting effects with it. I guess I t’s back to the drawing board for me now as I’d love to be able to transform my mini 2 into something like that. I haven’t got a clue how to do it but I’m always up for a new challenge. I also like your suggestion about the led too, as I think that would work even better.

Thanks so much for all of your advice - I really do appreciate all of your help!
2021-4-20
Use props
m80116
Second Officer
Italy

There's also a wide array of funny colorful lights for drones... just saying. Some cost as cheap as 3 bucks shipped on AliExpress, which is MY go to places for import stuff
2021-4-22
Use props
DJI_Smart
lvl.1
United Kingdom

m80116 Posted at 4-22 14:34
There's also a wide array of funny colorful lights for drones... just saying. Some cost as cheap as 3 bucks shipped on AliExpress, which is MY go to places for import stuff

Funny you should mention that - I went and bought a couple of different types to try them out. After doing a bit of research I decided to try out the StartRC strobe light and the StartRC mini night flight lamp kit. They’re both great in their own way but the mini flight lamp tips the weight just over the 250 mark which will mean I’d have to register it. It’s ok for messing around in my garden for now but I’m really pleased with the Strobe. 3 colour options and 3 different settings too. Plus it’s really light weight, very bright, and keeps my drone under the 250 mark! Happy days
2021-4-22
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules