Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
batteries/static electricity?
773 4 2020-3-25
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
djiguy001
lvl.4

Canada

Maybe I am just extra cautious - so anyone in the know I'd really love to hear from you, thanks!

Was charging my battery, finished charging, so I went to unplug it, and I guess my place is a bit dry and there was a little bit of a 'shock' (static electricity from walking on carpet, etc). Was just touching the outside plastic casing of the battery - I think the static was on the edge where you plug the plug into the battery...

Battery seems to turn on fine.

Is it safe to fly? I.e., it didn't fry any internal circuits or anything? (It is my understanding the batteries are 'smart' batteries and have some kind of internal circuit board?)
Or any tests I should do to make sure it is fine?

Wasn't a major static electricity shock - just the same kind like when you rub your feet at night and go to touch your (metal) doorknob and get a little bit of a shock...

Just want to be extra safe! Thanks!

2020-3-25
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

It is a good question. You would not damage the battery per se, but it might damage the processor that controls the battery. However, it is probable that DJI would use a buss driver/receiver to get to the outside world, and they usually have built-in static suppression, so you should be OK. Simple test, press the button on the battery and see if the LEDs display the state of charge. If that works, then the processor is most likely OK.
2020-3-25
Use props
djiguy001
lvl.4

Canada

Geebax Posted at 3-25 21:48
It is a good question. You would not damage the battery per se, but it might damage the processor that controls the battery. However, it is probable that DJI would use a buss driver/receiver to get to the outside world, and they usually have built-in static suppression, so you should be OK. Simple test, press the button on the battery and see if the LEDs display the state of charge. If that works, then the processor is most likely OK.

yes, the leds do work, thanks. Just want to make sure in-flight works 100%. So if I do a test flight (say just hover 20 minutes) with this battery - and everything is okay - then most likely the circuit board is fine?
2020-3-26
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

djiguy001 Posted at 3-26 03:34
yes, the leds do work, thanks. Just want to make sure in-flight works 100%. So if I do a test flight (say just hover 20 minutes) with this battery - and everything is okay - then most likely the circuit board is fine?

I would say yes.
2020-3-26
Use props
Manxmann
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1178793 ft
Australia

Hell,  I thought I was the Static King -------  on a "dry day" I dare not touch a shelf in the supermarket without getting a belt !
In our hot dry weather I sometimes run a static discharge strap to ground off the trolley - or stay in the cat whilst SWMBO does the shopping.

2020-3-27
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules