"Wobbly buildings" in photo timelapse
601 7 2020-3-27
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
MBender
lvl.2
Flight distance : 807116 ft
Poland

I was following a YT tutorial on how to make a timelapse using DJI Mini.
I picked a nice spot and set it to take a photo every 5 seconds. It was a calm day without almost any wind. Then I put the photos into Premiere Pro, reduced the duration of the still images to 1 frame and applied a basic Warp Stabilize effect.

Well, the end result is... odd. The buildings are... "wobbly". Which is VERY apparent. Clearly something's slightly changing on each photo, but what? Is it the lens correction? If so, then it's really bad! Any way to turn it off?

Here's a short, cropped and zoomed (for privacy, just in case) fragment of what I'm talking about:
2020-3-27
Use props
Occams Razor
Second Officer
Flight distance : 423497 ft
United States

The drone has slight movement from shot to shot.  The Mini is not going to be as still while hovering as the higher end DJI drone.
2020-3-27
Use props
MBender
lvl.2
Flight distance : 807116 ft
Poland

Occams Razor Posted at 3-27 11:46
The drone has slight movement from shot to shot.  The Mini is not going to be as still while hovering as the higher end DJI drone.

This much is true, but note that the building WOBBLES. This can't be an effect of warp stabilization, can it? It looks like lens correction from shot to shot is causing issues.
2020-3-27
Use props
Occams Razor
Second Officer
Flight distance : 423497 ft
United States

MBender Posted at 3-27 13:01
This much is true, but note that the building WOBBLES. This can't be an effect of warp stabilization, can it? It looks like lens correction from shot to shot is causing issues.

I am thinking the distortion in the lens as the drone moves is causing the wobble.  I've only watched the video on my phone so I will re-watch on a monitor when I get home.
2020-3-27
Use props
Ice_2k
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1132575 ft
Romania

Can you try without the warp effect?
2020-3-27
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Wow, that looks weird.
Most likely the stabilizer had a hard time deciding which part of the frame should be aligned correctly.
Not sure if you can apply lens correction before stabilizing, but it might help.
2020-3-27
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

Hi, could you please try to record a video and see if it happens on video recording?
2020-3-28
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Probably just the drone moving around a little.
2020-3-30
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules