SD Problem
1622 24 2015-6-14
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Brandoncdedward
lvl.1

United States

Hey guys,
Just got my P3P a week and a half ago. Amazing machine I have to say treated me very well.  That is until I literally just tried to insert my SD card. You know when you push it in, then it locks, then you push it in again, then it unlocks?  This way you can remove the card.  Well it's not doing that initial lock. I push it in, then it is in the "unlocked" position. It never becomes engaged in the locked position.  I'm sure I can use some very strong tape to keep it in, but has anyone else had this problem?  I'm sure it's happened to other devices.  Any help would be appreciated!!

Thanks,

Brandon Edwards
2015-6-14
Use props
Brandoncdedward
lvl.1

United States

Also, I have tried to take my key to try to see if it wasn't pushing in all the way... Doesn't work at all.  Could the lock be broke?  That means I won't be able to do updates right?
2015-6-14
Use props
Trracer
lvl.1

Sweden

If you can't get the SD to stick then you won't be able to record photos/video either.
2015-6-14
Use props
Brandoncdedward
lvl.1

United States

Trracer Posted at 2015-6-15 04:55
If you can't get the SD to stick then you won't be able to record photos/video either.

Yes.  I already understand that.
2015-6-14
Use props
aburkefl
lvl.4
Flight distance : 78612 ft
United States

Brandoncdedward Posted at 2015-6-15 05:46
Yes.  I already understand that.

I agree. It also is quite likely that taping it "shut" is not going to work either. If the system senses the latch to still be open, it cannot write to the card - can't read it either!

I agree with you - it sounds like the "locking/latching" mechanism broke.
2015-6-14
Use props
jack1144
lvl.3

Canada

Just a suggestion.....  try a different micro card
2015-6-14
Use props
Brandoncdedward
lvl.1

United States

jack1144 Posted at 2015-6-15 06:39
Just a suggestion.....  try a different micro card

Already tried it. No good.   
2015-6-14
Use props
Brandoncdedward
lvl.1

United States

aburkefl@gmail. Posted at 2015-6-15 06:20
I agree. It also is quite likely that taping it "shut" is not going to work either. If the system s ...

Oh no! I have only flown this *once before*.  I would hate to know that it is broke.   I understand that would mean ship it back to China, do repairs, and send back.  That could mean prime summer months without my P3.
2015-6-14
Use props
lgibson100
lvl.3
Flight distance : 303763 ft
  • >>>
United States

Hi Brandon
I just started to have the exact same problem with my SD card. I tried all the sam things you did.
Have you found any solution for this fix ?
There is a DJI office in LA that Im going to visit tomorrow.
Let me know if you found any solutions.
Thanks
2015-6-14
Use props
Brandoncdedward
lvl.1

United States

lgibson100@gmai Posted at 2015-6-15 08:35
Hi Brandon
I just started to have the exact same problem with my SD card. I tried all the sam things ...

No I haven't. I  posted my original comment right when I noticed it. I'm thinking it'll require some some surgery (taking things apart.
2015-6-15
Use props
joeglenn
lvl.2
Flight distance : 202156 ft
United States

I had the same issue however I had to send my P3P back to the repair facility that was  May 11, It went into the que on May 27 still waiting on and update.   Good luck
2015-6-15
Use props
lgibson100
lvl.3
Flight distance : 303763 ft
  • >>>
United States

joeglenn@zombie Posted at 2015-6-15 18:59
I had the same issue however I had to send my P3P back to the repair facility that was  May 11, It w ...

joeglenn
Where did you send in to ? US or China ?
Thanks
2015-6-15
Use props
joeglenn
lvl.2
United States

USA repair facility.  Still no update at all on it.  Very frustrating.
2015-6-15
Use props
Brandoncdedward
lvl.1

United States

Sooooo I've been looking this up. I think it's requires a disassemble.  I was thinking that  you just put something in there to re-engage the lock and voila! It's back to normal.  I suppose it isn't.  Im sure it could be done by the user, but would require delicate hands, or better yet send it back to DJI for repairs.  I can see that is just a huge waiting game.  Im not happy that this has happened.  I know small things like this can happen on such delicate machinery but it's absolutely frustrating.
2015-6-21
Use props
Brandoncdedward
lvl.1

United States

lgibson100@gmai Posted at 2015-6-15 08:35
Hi Brandon
I just started to have the exact same problem with my SD card. I tried all the sam things ...

Any update to your issue, friend?
2015-6-21
Use props
joeglenn
lvl.2
United States

4  Weeks in Que  and still nothing yet from DJI LA repair facility
2015-6-22
Use props
Brandoncdedward
lvl.1

United States

joeglenn@zombie Posted at 2015-6-23 01:00
4  Weeks in Que  and still nothing yet from DJI LA repair facility

I saw a YouTube video that showed how to repair it. It wasn't a drone, rather it was a computer's SD slot. Looks like a pin comes loose. You can try surgery to remove the spring but that would mean you'd have to tape the SD card shut. Also throws the risk of it falling out mid flight. I really don't feel comfortable sending it to dji for repairs when it's such a simple fix.
2015-6-23
Use props
joeglenn
lvl.2
United States

Since it was not a crash or anything and the drone was only 2 days old I learned a valuable lesson.   I should have bought from Amazon or B and H because the local hobby shop was a joke to deal with so much for buying local to support local business when you get no customer support.  They should have just gave me a new one, but they said they could not.  Funny how some online dealers were able to do this.  

2015-6-24
Use props
joeglenn
lvl.2
United States

UPdate!!!!  Well today I was notified that my gimbal was replaced and the drone was test flown and updated.  I should have it by Wednesday the 8th.
2015-7-1
Use props
Brandoncdedward
lvl.1

United States

joeglenn@zombie Posted at 2015-7-2 10:34
UPdate!!!!  Well today I was notified that my gimbal was replaced and the drone was test flown and u ...

GOOD!  I have opted to Rig my device.  I am going to see about removing the pin on the inside.  I have actually attached scotch tape to the SD card, and it recorded a few flights just fine.  I haven't updated to the new firmware just yet.  The reason being, I didn't trust that I would be without my device for 2 months (how much I estimated you, JoeGlenn, to be out of the device, and yep it was 2 months!).  For something so minor, I was even thinking about sending it back for a refund, but I changed my mind.  I'm still a bit upset, but this workaround works for me (destroys resale value, but I don't care, since I will fly this until it falls from the sky, LOL).
2015-7-9
Use props
woema
lvl.2

South Africa

Same thing happened with me. Send it back to the supplier and they replaced it.
2015-7-9
Use props
j_purcell
New

United States

Is it possible to send just the camera/gimble assembly to DJI for repair of the SD slot?
If so, I would almost opt for buying a second camera assembly while waiting 2 months to get one repaired. Would'nt hurt to have a spare.
Pricey I know but we do love our toys/machines. And yes I understand the warranty issue.

2015-7-9
Use props
joeglenn
lvl.2
United States

Icing on the cake guys  once I got my bird back on Tuesday it went back within 4 hours check out the video and see why.

I am beyond livid!!!!
DJI received it yesterday ad its back in teh Zedesk Que.  They escalated my return but still this is a lemon!!!
2015-7-10
Use props
jimwy2001
lvl.1
Flight distance : 616532 ft
United States

Brandoncdedward Posted at 2015-6-15 04:13
Also, I have tried to take my key to try to see if it wasn't pushing in all the way... Doesn't work  ...

I had the same issue the other day... I folded up a little piece of paper to put in with the card to at least keep the card in place...  When I powered up, it said "invalid SD card".. I pulled out the paper, but the SD card stayed in place... I had to do the push /click to get the SD card out, and now it is fine again! Give it a
sho, and hope it helps!  
Jim
2015-7-10
Use props
joeglenn
lvl.2
United States

UPDATE Bird is on its way back lets see if it is really fixed this time!!!
2015-7-11
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules