12Next >
6355 70 2020-3-29
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
spanzetta
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1124738 ft
Italy

Maybe not all people realized that in this new 1.0.8 version there is not only Manual WB and Vibration.. but also a new security feature..
Now you can decide what the Mini will do when loosing signal:
  • RTH (default)
  • Land
  • Hover

With previous version there was only RTH ..

I personally think it's a very usefull new choice..
What do you all think about?

One question for DJI: why don't you describe the new features available in the release description?
The what's new section for 1.0.8 just mention the optimization for warning (wind) and generic fixing crashing issues and improved app stability..
No mention at all for new features of Manual WB and for this new Security feature (very important)
I think this is a mistake.. DJI should clearily announce new features in the description.. and not let users discover them..

Clipboard03.jpg
2020-3-29
Use props
InspektorGadjet
Second Officer
Flight distance : 439915 ft
Spain

I think this is awesome!
Hoovering seems a much more safe feature to me to try and regain connection.
2020-3-29
Use props
m80116
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3264131 ft
Italy

I think it's a very dangerous option to have for a beginner's drone, fortunately is buried into the settings, but perhaps not buried deep enough. I am wondering how many will lose track of the their drones or will make it land into deeply unsuitable places (which will likely cause aircraft loss: water, woods...). Some people will likely flip the swtich without thinking...

The only moment I plan on using this feature, which in my case I retain very useful, is when going in partly enclosed places where GPS can still be strong enough and a normal RTH could cause catastrophic issues.
2020-3-29
Use props
infinigrove
lvl.3
Flight distance : 212051 ft
United States

I was always a bit concerned about RTH when flying indoors.  Land or Hover seems like a much better option when flting indoors.
2020-3-29
Use props
StubbornSwiss
Second Officer
Flight distance : 480771 ft
United States

Thanks for pointing this out. I need to learn to check over the whole app after every update
One question: what is the Vibration feature? (I am not with my MM right now, so cannot check it).
Thank you.
2020-3-29
Use props
siowxsen
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1952359 ft
Malaysia

Thanks for sharing.  
2020-3-29
Use props
Dmitry Vishnevskiy
lvl.4
Flight distance : 588635 ft
Russia

infinigrove Posted at 3-29 03:59
I was always a bit concerned about RTH when flying indoors.  Land or Hover seems like a much better option when flting indoors.

RTH impossible without GPS. So, this feature do now work indoors, dont worry...
2020-3-29
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

InspektorGadjet Posted at 3-29 02:55
I think this is awesome!
Hoovering seems a much more safe feature to me to try and regain connection.

Only if you are going to know where exactly the drone is, Rth is a much better option as it will always fly nearer to user thus making it easier to regain signal, hover is a great option undercover of trees or land, but be careful what you wish for loosing sight of your drone then loosing signal will mean you may lose your drone , set to hover indoors undercover and only when drone is very close to user .
2020-3-29
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

StubbornSwiss Posted at 3-29 04:07
Thanks for pointing this out. I need to learn to check over the whole app after every update
One question: what is the Vibration feature? (I am not with my MM right now, so cannot check it).
Thank you.

I think your remote will vibrate when wind is reporting Too Strong.
2020-3-29
Use props
LYM
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1883005 ft
Romania

I think RTH is not the default option, HOVER is. I found this the hard way, after reinstalling the Dji FLY app and not checking this setting. I lost connection and was patiently waiting for it to return to home.
After a good couple of minutes I had almost accepted the idea that i had lost the drone. Disconnected the app and then reopened and it finally managed to connect (phew) and I was able to fly it home.

It was quite scary for me. If it had not reconnected I think I would have just given up on it, not realizing the drone was just hovering, as it was set up.
Make sure you guys check this setting before flying.
I'm an Android user and I believe this happened to me like 2 app updates ago, so might have changed in the meanwhile (haven't checked)

2020-3-29
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

LYM Posted at 3-29 06:04
I think RTH is not the default option, HOVER is. I found this the hard way, after reinstalling the Dji FLY app and not checking this setting. I lost connection and was patiently waiting for it to return to home.
After a good couple of minutes I had almost accepted the idea that i had lost the drone. Disconnected the app and then reopened and it finally managed to connect (phew) and I was able to fly it home.

Using hover/land you need to be careful when setting these, because if you don’t reset to Rth someday you might end up loosing your drone, thanks for letting us know that hover may be default .
2020-3-29
Use props
StubbornSwiss
Second Officer
Flight distance : 480771 ft
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 3-29 06:03
I think your remote will vibrate when wind is reporting Too Strong.

OK great. That sounds like something useful.

Is it something we can switch on/off, or is it just on?

Many thanks.
2020-3-29
Use props
Tony D.
lvl.4
Canada

StubbornSwiss Posted at 3-29 07:31

Is it something we can switch on/off, or is it just on?

Is it something we can switch on/off, or is it just on?

That is a good question. I can see it being useful to warn of strong wind but if you are getting a visual warning, the vibration is only going to add to the anxiety. What about days that are marginally windy (most days where I live) and you are comfortable flying that day? Could almost become annoying and would use up more controller battery.
2020-3-29
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Look I have used hover once, I was flying in a forest , you need to set to RTH and if you feel when your in certain situation that land or hover are safer bets then switch, but remember to always switch back, for all those who own mini they have never done anything except Rth and I agree with DB it’s really not necessary but is an option.
Honestly I believe we will read here on this forum pretty soon, user coming on saying he lost signal and his drone never returned “why” because he forgot to set RTH correctly, so just be careful .

Edit not your question.
2020-3-29
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

I’m not sure, haven’t tried it yet, wind around here not suitable just now for Mini .
2020-3-29
Use props
Lucas775
First Officer
Flight distance : 50642090 ft
  • >>>
United States

Great feature.
2020-3-29
Use props
ro_flyer
First Officer
Flight distance : 7557283 ft
Brazil

Great feature.
2020-3-29
Use props
InspektorGadjet
Second Officer
Flight distance : 439915 ft
Spain

hallmark007 Posted at 3-29 05:51
Only if you are going to know where exactly the drone is, Rth is a much better option as it will always fly nearer to user thus making it easier to regain signal, hover is a great option undercover of trees or land, but be careful what you wish for loosing sight of your drone then loosing signal will mean you may lose your drone , set to hover indoors undercover and only when drone is very close to user .

Yeah it totally depends in the situation, being quite close is good the hoover, cause in case of wind, climbing for the RTH can be risky. But non the less now we can decide what behaviour which is cool
2020-3-29
Use props
BigBird-2
lvl.4
Flight distance : 883645 ft
  • >>>
United States

Good advice, thanks
2020-3-29
Use props
Traxx119
lvl.4
Canada

I did not notice the new signal lost features when i updated  the Fly App. Good to have the choice. Thank you for pointing this out!
2020-3-29
Use props
Ingo Sundowner
Second Officer
Flight distance : 914012 ft
United Kingdom

I'm staying with RTH, after all, can any of you forecast what the actual condition is like? You sure as hell can't set it when you lost connection
Tthis option seems a bit pointless
2020-3-29
Use props
Guorium
Second Officer
Flight distance : 513061 ft
Australia

This is exactly why I thought the new option is horrible. People should properly set RTH and then RTH can almost always take your drone back to reception range if reception is lost. Unknowingly having it  on hover or land might cost you a drone...
2020-3-29
Use props
120ccpm
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1396755 ft
United States

I never understood why someone would want the AC to land right away on signal loss... it seems perfect recipe for disaster. Hover could be a good option in very specific situations, but only if the pilot can move freely (and quickly) to regain contact. Glad to have options, but I'm not sure I would have prioritized this feature over others that could be more impactful...
2020-3-29
Use props
Ice_2k
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1132575 ft
Romania

Does the wind warning vibration drive anybody else crazy? It's insanely annoying and it just keeps doing it again and again and again.... I understand it's important for the user to get the message but it really needs to get to the point of "ok, i got it, i'm very careful, leave me alone!"
2020-3-30
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

120ccpm Posted at 3-29 17:53
I never understood why someone would want the AC to land right away on signal loss... it seems perfect recipe for disaster. Hover could be a good option in very specific situations, but only if the pilot can move freely (and quickly) to regain contact. Glad to have options, but I'm not sure I would have prioritized this feature over others that could be more impactful...

It’s not something you would be doing often, they’re situations where it might be an option, if you’re indoors with lots of interference and landing areas ar quite good then land might be an option, if you were to lose signal at least you wouldn’t have to wait for battery to drain to get your craft back, likewise hover is an option very rarely needed but also good option indoors and when flying really close.

But the biggest problems wit more options will be remembering to switch back to RTH, I have seen many craft lost because pilot forgetting to switch back to RTH .
2020-3-30
Use props
Guorium
Second Officer
Australia

Ice_2k Posted at 3-30 00:39
Does the wind warning vibration drive anybody else crazy? It's insanely annoying and it just keeps doing it again and again and again.... I understand it's important for the user to get the message but it really needs to get to the point of "ok, i got it, i'm very careful, leave me alone!"

did u tap the warning message on screen. I heard it stops the warning.
2020-3-30
Use props
Ice_2k
Second Officer
Romania

Guorium Posted at 3-30 02:00
did u tap the warning message on screen. I heard it stops the warning.

i honestly didn't try that but since the warnings were like 10 seconds apart, I doubt tapping it once will silent it (or at least kill the vibration) for the rest of the flight. Will give it a go though, thanks.
2020-3-30
Use props
jonny007
Second Officer
Germany

There have been sooooo many requests and suggestions for future updates in the past. Was this signal loss behavior (RTH/Hovering/Land) also part of it? A redundant feature for me, I'll let it stay on RTH for a drone lifetime. Also a stupid thing about vibration. As if the terrible beep at RTH and battery warning wasn't annoying enough. Now, in the stupidest case, you have visual signals, beeps and vibrations at the same time. To go insane ...
2020-3-30
Use props
Cal Evans
lvl.4
Flight distance : 85673 ft
United States

I think this is GREAT! Hover IMHO is a much better option.

Cheers!
=C=
2020-3-30
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

jonny007 Posted at 3-30 03:05
There have been sooooo many requests and suggestions for future updates in the past. Was this signal loss behavior (RTH/Hovering/Land) also part of it? A redundant feature for me, I'll let it stay on RTH for a drone lifetime. Also a stupid thing about vibration. As if the terrible beep at RTH and battery warning wasn't annoying enough. Now, in the stupidest case, you have visual signals, beeps and vibrations at the same time. To go insane ...

I have seen many come here and say they never seen wind warning, now they won’t have that problem, I think it’s never a bad idea developing safety features.
2020-3-30
Use props
Guorium
Second Officer
Australia

Ice_2k Posted at 3-30 02:55
i honestly didn't try that but since the warnings were like 10 seconds apart, I doubt tapping it once will silent it (or at least kill the vibration) for the rest of the flight. Will give it a go though, thanks.

Yeah fb group of mini says it stops the vibration. not sure for how long though. Good luck trying it.
2020-3-30
Use props
jonny007
Second Officer
Germany

Cal Evans Posted at 3-30 03:44
I think this is GREAT! Hover IMHO is a much better option.

Cheers!

Hover is better? Lose the signal and wait until the battery runs out and the drone crashes into a car or falls down somewhere else? Well ok, everyone's own ... hover option NOT for ME ;-)
2020-3-30
Use props
jonny007
Second Officer
Germany

hallmark007 Posted at 3-30 03:47
I have seen many come here and say they never seen wind warning, now they won’t have that problem, I think it’s never a bad idea developing safety features.

Who doesn't see the warnings? You can't overlook that. You can really overdo it with warnings. And if so, you should be able to switch it off.
2020-3-30
Use props
TDZHDTV
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2068550 ft
United Kingdom

I could only imagine using this if I was filling under trees or some other form of canopy, but then again I would be within 20m anyway and it would just land by default
2020-3-30
Use props
Ice_2k
Second Officer
Romania

jonny007 Posted at 3-30 06:57
Hover is better? Lose the signal and wait until the battery runs out and the drone crashes into a car or falls down somewhere else? Well ok, everyone's own ... hover option NOT for ME ;-)

1. Drone would eventually LAND, not fall down.
2. HOVER is clearly not useful for the normal scenario (where you're standing in one place) but it does have its uses if you (the pilot) are moving around and so the home point doesn't really mean anything.
2020-3-30
Use props
thE29
lvl.3
Flight distance : 14094 ft
Austria

Better would be: What should the drone do the first 30 (or XX) seconds after signal loss and then alway RTH.
2020-3-30
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

jonny007 Posted at 3-30 06:59
Who doesn't see the warnings? You can't overlook that. You can really overdo it with warnings. And if so, you should be able to switch it off.

Who doesn’t see warnings ? Well many people because they may be looking at their craft, which is allowed.

Warnings are just that warnings and you’re expected to heed them take action and they will abate, you can stop the wind warning by tapping on the screen, but if you’re still operating in same wind it will just come back on, which is correct .
Same as Rth beeping will stop as soon as craft is no longer flying in auto mode ie fly it home yourself, so yes you can switch off.

2020-3-30
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Dirty Bird Posted at 3-30 07:23
Unless DJI made a mistake, the default should be RTH.  That's what it is for every other model.  That said whenever a new app or firmware is released, particularly one that adds settings not available in the prior version, it is advisable to go through all parameters & verify they are set properly.

Default on iOS is RTH I checked today .
2020-3-30
Use props
Ice_2k
Second Officer
Romania

Dirty Bird Posted at 3-30 07:27
What will you do if it starts hovering over water or an inaccessible location & you never regain signal?

Seems unlikely to not be able to regain signal over water (presumably you're not flying 3km away with HOVER as your option, that would be just stupid, I would only use it while on a boat and having the bird follow me around). Also, in case of some catastrophic failure that breaks connectivity for good, I would just wait for it to come down once the battery runs out but you'll have to agree this is an insanely unlikely scenario.
2020-3-30
Use props
Sigmo
lvl.4
United States

The vibration could be handy for me.  I often fly while looking at the mini itself, and thus have my eyes off of the RC/phone for some time.  Plus, I often have difficulty even seeing the display when its bright outside.

And I also often fly walking around, following the drone to maintain VLS and maintain direct LOS for the RF link when working around buildings, tanks, etc.  It's easier for me to fly near obstacles if I'm watching the drone itself rather than relying on the FPV.

This also may make the "hover" on loss of signal more appropriate for me at times.  Working in and around (and under) trees and the like, all make RTH very dangerous.  So the hover option does have its uses.

Remember that you can lose signal connection not only due to distance, but also due to RF interference or obstacles.

Be careful, of course.  But I like both of these new features.
2020-3-30
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules